• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
More of Disney's plans for the Avengers:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngau...-the-avengers-2-movie-theme-park-rides-games/

I wonder if Disney will have to pay off Universal for them to use Marvel characters in their theme parks.

I love living in Orlando. :)

It is 2 1/2 hours long. Gotta plan ahead for that stuff.

Yeah man. It's a must.

Who else makes sure you take a piss before a movie starts?

Th0pg.jpg

That picture is so perfect. Both Asgardians looking at her ass. ScarJo's expression, and the old dude looking at them like "Really, guys?"

:lol

Hey duders, is The Thanos Imperative easy enough to get into without having read prior stuff? I know who the Guardians are, Thanos is, etc etc. I saw it at Waterstones and it's the only cosmic stuff they have.

Volimar

Joss Whedon's letter to his fans. Try to hold in your hate.

whedonesque.com/comments/28797

Dear Friends,

Well, it's been quite a weekend. Someday, long from now, I will even have an emotional reaction to it, like a person would. I can't wait! But before I become blinded by this "emotion" experience, there's a few things I'd like to say. Well, type.

People have told me that this matters, that my life is about to change. I am sure that is true. And change is good -- change is exciting. I think -- not to jinx it -- that I may finally be recognized at Comiccon. Imagine! Also, with my percentage of "the Avengers" gross, I can afford to buy... [gets call from agent. Weeps manfully. Resumes typing.] ...a fine meal. But REALLY fine, with truffles and s#!+. And I can get a studio to finance my dream project, the reboot of "Air Bud" that we all feel is so long overdue. (He could play Jai Alai! Think of the emotional ramifications of JAI ALAI!!!!)

What doesn't change is anything that matters. What doesn't change is that I've had the smartest, most loyal, most passionate, most articulate group of -- I'm not even gonna say fans. I'm going with "peeps" -- that any cult oddity such as my bad self could have dreamt of. When almost no one was watching, when people probably should have STOPPED watching, I've had three constants: my family and friends, my collaborators (often the same), and y'all. A lot of stories have come out about my "dark years", and how I'm "unrecognized"... I love these stories, because they make me seem super-important, but I have never felt the darkness (and I'm ALL about my darkness) that they described. Because I have so much. I have people, in my life, on this site, in places I've yet to discover, that always made me feel the truth of success: an artist and an audience communicating. Communicating to the point of collaborating. I've thought, "maybe I'm over; maybe I've said my piece". But never with fear. Never with rancor. Because of y'all. Because you knew me when. If you think topping a box office record compares with someone telling you your work helped them through a rough time, you're probably new here. (For the record, and despite my inhuman distance from the joy-joy of it: topping a box office record is super-dope. I'm an alien, not a robot.) So this is me, saying thank you. All of you. You've taken as much guff for loving my work as I have for over-writing it, and you deserve, in this our time of streaming into the main, to crow. To glow. To crow and go "I told you so", to those Joe Blows not in the know. (LAST time I hire Dr. Seuss to punch my posts up. Yeesh!) Point being, you deserve some honor, AND you deserves some FAQs answered. So please welcome my old friend and certainly not-on-my-payroll reporter/flunky, Rutherford D. Actualperson!

RDA: So good to see you, young Joss! is it possible you've gotten more attractive since we last spoke, and less fungal in odor?

JW: Thanks for noticing. Let's talk.

RDA: "the Scavengers" is a huge success! Does this mean you have changed the very fabric of existence?

JW: Dude, it's just a movie. Also, yes.

RTA: I've seen a lot of a talk about "the Availers" vs "the Dark Knight Rises". How will you feel if you're eclipsed by Nolan?

JW: I'm glad I made you ask that. I will feel sad. But let's look at the bigger picture, and I can't say this enough: THIS IS NOT A ZERO SUM GAME. Our successes, whoever has the mostest, are a boon to each other. We're in the business of proving that superhero movies aren't just eye-candy (they're eye-TRUFFLES!). People seem intent on setting us against each other, and though I'm proud to be Woody Strode to Nolan's Kirk Douglas, I think they're missing the point. Whatever TDKR does on its first weekend, the only stat that matters to me is the ticket I'M definitely buying. Nolan and Raimi INVENTED the true superhero flick, yo. (Special mention to Jon Favreau and James Gunn.) Happy to be in the mix.

RTA: What does this mean for your upcoming slate of tiny independent films/Internet shenanigans? Will they fall by the wayside?

JW: There may be new ideas realized -- I always leave myself open to that -- but my commitment to Wastelanders and Dr H.2 does not waver. Those stories bubble on my stove.

RTA: And TV?

JW: TV is my great love. To tell stories with that alacrity, intensity, and immediacy... Nothing quite like it. I imagine it's not dissimilar to the feeling great poker players have: "Here's what I got, here's where I'm going... How to trick everybody into thinking I know what I'm doing?" [Full disclosure : Joss hates poker. He is probably talking about bridge. But it should apply nonetheless.].

RTA: What message would you give fans of "the Lavenders" who are not so familiar with your previous work?

JW: "Cabin In the Woods": still in (some) theaters!

RTA: Is 'the Ravengers" a perfect movie? It did get an A+ cinemascore...

JW: There are very few perfect movies. "The Court Jester", "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", "Godfather" I & II... The list does not go on and on. "The Avengers" is notably IMperfect, which makes its success mean so much more to me -- because it's striking a chord that matters MORE than its obvious flaws. Like the team, it appears to be more than the sun of its parts. Boo-yah!

RTA: What do you feel is the greatest achievement of "the Avoiders"?

JW: Getting "mewling quim" out there to the masses. Also, Hulk.

RTA: Anyone in particular you'd like to thank?

JW: [Reads from notecard]. I couldn't have done this myself. Part of this Saturn Award belongs to Jeremy Latcham, Kevin Feige, and the fine Marvel folk... But the secret ingredient is my closest peeps: J-Mo, who did uncredited punch-up work (carrier battle, yo!), Z-bro, Drew "I am Loki only taller and foppier" Goddard, and Kai, all of whom worked the story with me. Without them (and Jeremy), I'd still be figuring out how the Wasp fits in to this, and where to put Red Hulk.

RTA: What's next for Joss "finally got it right for a change" Whedon?

JW: Can we not call me that?

RTA: Just deal. Whut up?

JW: I really think we should discuss that nickname, but I'm finishing "Much Ado About Nothing" this month. If you liked "the Avengers", you'll love... I can't. It's Shakespeare. And not in the park. I hope it gets watched.

RTA: Any message to your precious "Whedonesk?"

JW: Whedonettes?

RTA: Weeble-eque?

JW: I'm not aware of that group.

RTA: Didn't they know you when?

JW: I'm not sure who you mean. I'm discarding my old fans so I can concentrate on fame, Euro-trash guy-jewelry and my precious "Air Bud" reboot. But, dude, don't print that!

RTA: You have my word.

So, that's our post! Hope you enjoyed it. Hope you'll continue to carry the banner even though other people may have joined the parade. (Kind of a gay pride/Newsies vibe: sentence accomplished!) Hope you understand how I feel. Cliff notes: grateful.

"Here's to us. Who's like us? Damn few"
-- Stephen Sondheim, "Merrily We Roll Along".

"It took a dog playing Jai Alai to teach us humanity!"
--Me, in that awesome film I'm gonna make.

J10

Banned
How can Iron Man go toe-to-toe with Thor? Really makes no sense to me.

Look at Iron Man at the end of that brawl and then look at Thor. Tony was clearly losing. Unless you're suggesting Iron Man shouldn't be able to even get a few hits in, in which I would respond... well, where's the fun in that?

gutabo

I'm doing it mostly because the gif needs to be in every page.
Just in case (Credits to Mr. Sam for version 1.0):

AVENGERS FAQ 2.0:

• Why was Hulk not uncontrollable at the end?
    Banner's second transformation into Hulk was voluntarily. It's been established, in the comics and in The Incredible Hulk, that a voluntary transformation makes Hulk more controllable and means he can distinguish between friend and foe. Banner's first transformation was involuntary, and thus Hulk was much more volatile.
  • How did Thor get back to Earth? Wasn't that rainbow bridge thingy destroyed?
    Thor got back to Earth thanks to Odin using dark magic to teleport him there. Loki mentions this when Thor abducts him. It's implied that this is a very difficult process and a one way ticket - the tesseract is needed to teleport Thor and Loki back to Asgard.
  • What did Hulk say--
    Hulk says "Puny god" after smashing Loki. I'm sorry the audience was too loud.
  • Who was that after the end credits?
    Thanos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanos
  • What's shawarma?
    No idea. If you stick around after the credits, all the Avengers went out to have some Shawarma.
  • Is agent Coulson dead?
    According to an interview, yes.
  • Where is Spiderman/X-men/Fantastic Four?
    Sony/Fox own the movie rights so unless that changes they won't be showing up in any disney/marvel movie.
  • Why is Hulk unable to lift Mjolnir?
    Directly from Marvel: "Worthiness Enchantment: This enchantment surrounding Mjolnir prevents it from being wielded by anyone save those who have been found worthy or anyone Thor deems acceptable to wield Mjolnir for a time".
  • What does "Mewling Quim" mean?
    In more modern English, this would be “whining cunt”.(from bleedingcool.com)

tumblr_m38z2u8E2t1qa7hzxo7_250.gif

Anything I forgot?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
So why are movie-theaters losing money?
Piracy? probably.
Economy? sure, why not.
Crappy movies? Probable, but not a exec in the industry will believe it.
Refusing to show a movie that's shot in 2D in it's native form? HELLS YES!

I get headaches from post-production 3D; Alice did it, Wrath o/t Titans did it, and I refuse to pay extra just to get a headache. Not a single theatre in my immediate area is showing Avengers in 2D, a movie I was and am excited about.

Piracy is not killing this industry, the industry is.

So why are movie-theaters losing money?
Piracy? probably.
Economy? sure, why not.
Crappy movies? Probable, but not a exec in the industry will believe it.
Refusing to show a movie that's shot in 2D in it's native form? HELLS YES!

I get headaches from post-production 3D; Alice did it, Wrath o/t Titans did it, and I refuse to pay extra just to get a headache. Not a single theatre in my immediate area is showing Avengers in 2D, a movie I was and am excited about.

Piracy is not killing this industry, the industry is.

Judging by this weekend's gross you're incorrect. 3D isn't keeping people from going to see movies. Crappy movies is the big one IMO. But that doesn't explain Transformers.

Can this ever change,

No Wolverine
No Doctor Doom
No Spiderman

Sucks because that would make Avengers 3 an awesome movie.

It changes when either they give up the rights (never happen), they sell the rights off (probably never happen), they stop making movies and lose the rights (nope, reboots sequels and prequels galore!), or Disney aggressively negotiate to get the rights back (the most likely, but a contracts a contract).

So in short, probably not, no.

Solo

Good lord we need a sticky post at the top of every page detailing why you will never see Spidey or X-men in these movies and why you are wasting your time pining for it.

noah111

Still Alive
I really, really hope they never seriously introduce LMDs into the universe. Dumbest plot device ever.
Little too late for that, I think..

Here's some sweet concept art from some designer who worked on several Marvel projects (including Thor and Cap).

http://www.nathanschroeder.net/gal27/img00.lg.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.nathanschroeder.net/gal27/img06.lg.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Great stuff, found Thanos' chair;

[IMG]http://www.nathanschroeder.net/gal27/img27.jpg

I keep meaning to post this and keep forgetting...

I've been a fan of this X-Men poster by Eric Tan for a while, but apparently you can't buy it.

erictan_xmen.jpg

I decided to try to recreate it in Illustrator, but then I wondered if I could turn it into the Avengers instead, and came up with this:

avengersmm.jpg
Awesome.

That picture is so perfect. Both Asgardians looking at her ass. ScarJo's expression, and the old dude looking at them like "Really, guys?"

:lol
The old guy is just jealous he's not in that prime position.
Pretty sure that 'old guy' is Selvig, makes it all the better. :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Good lord we need a sticky post at the op of every page detailing why you will never see Spidey or X-men in these movies and why you are wasting your time pining for it.
It's in the FAQ! Right there with the Cobie gif to calm you down. Swoon

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, I was actually toying with flipping it to mirror the X-Men one and trying to come up with something for the middle. I actually started an FF one but didn't like how it was turning out and scrapped it.

I did throw this Silver Surfer one together, but it wouldn't work vertically. The background is lifted from something else temporarily for composition puposes until I find time to make one.

ssmm.jpg

If you ever decide to do up super hi-rez versions, let me know! Awesome work though, for real.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What the hell, Cobie Smulders is engaged to Jimmy the Overly Touchy Orderly and they have a kid? I may never recover from this

Evlar

Banned
I've been seeing "mewling" suddenly popping up in print media, which probably isn't coincidental; for example, the New York Times has an article up talking about "mewling" children's book authors.

"Quim"... Not so much.

Hex

Banned
Better yet, let's not kill black heroes. But before BP, we need Giant Man/ Antman

No, we don't.
Do people not comprehend how stupid Ant man/Giant man would come off on screen?
Hank Pym..ok that can work as a scientist name drop.
Giant Man/ Ant Man? No.
It would be ridiculous looking.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
You got that right.

Edit: A cheaply made, campy Power Man movie complete with jibba-jabba, afro hair and chains would be THE SHIT.

noah111

Still Alive
No, we don't.
Giant Man/ Ant Man? No.
You forget how stupid as fuck Thor looked when those set pics were coming out of Odin and all that. Everyone was laughing. It can be done, it's a feat, but it will happen one way or another.

No, we don't.
Giant Man/ Ant Man? No.

You say that, but I don't think so. Either way, Edgar Wright is supposed to be doing it, so it could come out great.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
• Why is Hulk unable to lift Mjolnir?
Directly from Marvel: "Worthiness Enchantment: This enchantment surrounding Mjolnir prevents it from being wielded by anyone save those who have been found worthy or anyone Thor deems acceptable to wield Mjolnir for a time".

tumblr_m38z2u8E2t1qa7hzxo7_250.gif

This is partly false, Thor doesnt decide who is worthy, Mjolnirs enchantment decides the worthy.
In the movieverse and the comicverse the enchantment is the same
Anyone who is deemed worthy shall possess the power of Thor.
That is why when Thor was unworthy in the Thor movie he lost all his godly powers too.....theoretically people like Captain America and Beta Ray at their most i guess righteous could wield Mjolnir and get all the powers that come with.

so if thor is on his last legs he could ask Hulk to pick up Mjolnir

Nope read above^

Seth C

How can Iron Man go toe-to-toe with Thor? Really makes no sense to me.

He couldn't, and wasn't. If that fight went on much longer he was going to be lying there in a crushed suit. Thor was able to crush it with his hand, and he was likely pulling his punches anyway.

Hex

Banned
You say that, but I don't think so. Either way, Edgar Wright is supposed to be doing it, so it could come out great.

It is a perfect vehicle for Wright. It will be campy. I am sure it will have at least a few "Ant Man...seriously..Ant Man?" jokes and will be a fun movie but I just do not think it could mesh.

I loved Spaced, I loved Shaun of the Dead and I loved Hot Fuzz.
I thought Scott Pilgrim was an overrated ok movie.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This is partly false, Thor doesnt decide who is worthy, Mjolnirs enchantment decides the worthy.
In the movieverse and the comicverse the enchantment is the same
Anyone who is deemed worthy shall possess the power of Thor.
That is why when Thor was unworthy in the Thor movie he lost all his godly powers too.....theoretically people like Captain America and Beta Ray at their most i guess righteous could wield Mjolnir and get all the powers that come with.

Nope read above^
The hulk is actually the only being in the universe to successfully lift Mjolnir based on raw strength alone, but he only got it about a foot off the ground I think.

edit: Also in this situation it did/would NOT confer the power of Thor upon him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom