• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izick

It's kind of funny that Johansson, who is a much bigger star than Blunt, took on the peanuts contract that Blunt balked at.

True. Wonder if she expected this movie to surge her career, like it hopefully should? Or at least that she'd be making big money down the line with sequels? Either way, I like the Black Widow we got.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
third viewing

6:30 on a Friday of second weekend

much smaller theater (8 plex)

STILL COULD NOT HEAR "PUNY GOD" OVER CHEERS AND LAUGHTER

i am destined to not hear that line until I'm listening to it in dead silence.

expect big numbers this weekend, people.

I especially loved this. They showed that pan sweep of the Avengers in the trailer, and I found it corny as shit.

But when I went to see the movie, that pan is fucking awesome in the proper context of the movie. I blame the guys handling the trailers for screwing that up. They made an awesome moment look pretty cheesy in the trailer.
In retrospect, all the trailers straight up suck. Really wish the Hulk catch hadn't been spoiled.

johnsmith

remember me
Actually, someone WAS bitching that when Captain America gave Fury 10 bucks, it was because he was used to being in the 40s and was tipping the help.

I thought the same thing, but then my friend pointed out the bet, which I completely missed, and I realized that they'd seen each other plenty of times before, and I felt dumb.

I thought the same thing, but then my friend pointed out the bet, which I completely missed, and I realized that they'd seen each other plenty of times before, and I felt dumb.
Me too, except I didn't catch it until my second viewing. I was like "Why was he tipping him? I get the joke but Cap knows who he is..." then on the 2nd view I caught the $10 bet line and was like "OH WOW"

But taking the "He's adopted" joke to mean adopted kids are evil is the dumbest fucking thing. Really? REALLY?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I was surprised at how many older people were seeing this.A lot of women too.
Hugely mixed crowd at mine. 10+ old (you know, grey-haired) couples, a TON of kids, including some that were WAY too small and annoyed the shit out of me during much of the movie (I'm talking 3 and 4 years old). About equal proportions of white, hispanic, and african-american audience members. The 6-10 year old kids were going nuts, though I noticed a lot of mixing up characters when out of costume
KuGsj.gif

Me too, except I didn't catch it until my second viewing. I was like "Why was he tipping him? I get the joke but Cap knows who he is..." then on the 2nd view I caught the $10 bet line and was like "OH WOW"

But taking the "He's adopted" joke to mean adopted kids are evil is the dumbest fucking thing. Really? REALLY?
Ahahah that bet is like 3 minutes earlier.

And the adopted thing. Holy shit. I don't even. I would have thought any idiot would get that Thor's point was that he wasn't related to Thor, as he just called him his brother, then Widow mentioned he murdered a bunch of people...

But the logic is like...
"HE'S MY BROTHER"
"HE KILLED A BUNCH OF PEOPLE"
"HE'S ADOPTED"

ergo adopted people kill people! just brilliant. extraordinary.

Chris R

Mar-vell or Marvel sounds like marble?

Because the local news station just reviewed the movie and said Mar-vell, first time I'd ever heard it pronounced that way.

And I guess I'll check this out tomorrow at the early bird showing, so much cheaper than going on a Saturday night.

johnsmith

remember me
Mar-vell or Marvel sounds like marble?

Because the local news station just reviewed the movie and said Mar-vell, first time I'd ever heard it pronounced that way.

And I guess I'll check this out tomorrow at the early bird showing, so much cheaper than going on a Saturday night.

Marvel like marvelous. The reviewer probably thinks chaos is pronounced chows

Just got back from the theater......I kind of can't believe people were comparing this to TDK. Not even remotely close. Not even close to BB.

Extremely cheesy writing/melodrama, zero sense of urgency or danger, terrible terrible terrible villain (I was seriously waiting for Lord Zedd and Rita Repulsa to come out of that portal), tons of mindless action, etc. Had Hulk not turned out the way he did, I would have walked out.

sharbhund

Just got back from the theater......I kind of can't believe people were comparing this to TDK. Not even remotely close. Not even close to BB.

Extremely cheesy writing/melodrama, zero sense of urgency or danger, terrible terrible terrible villain (I was seriously waiting for Lord Zedd and Rita Repulsa to come out of that portal), tons of mindless action, etc. Had Hulk not turned out the way he did, I would have walked out.

FKVwVl.jpg

KevinCow

Banned
I somehow noticed the line about the bet, but then completely forgot about it and the fact that Captain America had ever even met Nick Fury like five minutes later.

I don't even know how.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

Every real man knows that Batman Begins is considerably better than The Dark Knight. Now how am I supposed to take your opinion seriously.

On a less facetious note:
I think anyone who's expecting the next batman to be anything like the dark knight, will be sorely disappointed.

Slayven

Every real man knows that Batman Begins is considerably better than The Dark Knight. Now how am I supposed to take your opinion seriously.

On a less facetious note:
I think anyone who's expecting the next batman to be anything like the dark knight, will be sorely disappointed.

WB said they wanted their superheroes grimdark, but I expect things have changed.

kai3345

Banned
Just got out of it. Got dayum.

I'd rank it pretty high on my list of favorite superhero films

Whedon should just write and direct any team-based action movie ever. dat banter.

I saw this tonight with my friend. Really awesome/fun movie from start to finish...love it.
Last cheering from the audience for the Hulk, especially when me smashed up Loki lol

rexor0717

I felt the exact same way, but I still loved the movie. I couldn't shake the feeling that the chitauri leader was a Power Rangers villain.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Hahahhaha you're still so salty after your terrible justice league thread.

I definitely don't think this is on par with either Batman films or the first two Spiderman movies but still I had a lot of fun.

lol @ bolded. This movie did for sure have a cheesy power rangers vibe. Especially with the opening scene in space.

dankir

Just came back it was FUCKING AWESOME!!
Hulk was the star of the movie, everything he did. As soon as Cap says `Hulk, smash!`

I started giggling and when he beats up Loki like a ragdoll and punches Thor straight out of a Disney cartoon was hilarious!

AND THIS MOTHERFUCKER RIGHT HERE! Oh man I can`t wait for who they bring into the sequel.

spectre-unleashed-3668.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just came back it was FUCKING AWESOME!!
Hulk was the star of the movie, everything he did. As soon as Cap says `Hulk, smash!`

I started giggling and when he beats up Loki like a ragdoll and punches Thor straight out of a Disney cartoon was hilarious!

AND THIS MOTHERFUCKER RIGHT HERE! Oh man I can`t wait for who they bring into the sequel.

spectre-unleashed-3668.jpg
Nice pic, for some reason it didn't occur to me that they were actually emulating his throne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom