• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

noah111

Still Alive
Look at the effect this movie is having on the OT. Like 10 superhero related threads in the past couple days....I love it!
It's pretty damn insane. Best part of it all is how many people are getting into comics in general, either for the first time or getting back into it.

gutabo

Mark Ruffalo smirking in a plain calm tone of voice explaining he is always angry, turning into the hulk on command and than taking orders from captain america and comprehending what people are saying to him.....what is going on? Okay lets go kill black widow during one scene, than later on completely take sides and control your commands.

Nice black sabbath thermal Robert Downey Jr.

Captain America you are played by Jake Wyler from Not Another Teen Movie. End of discussion. Quit acting. You suck. I cannot and will not ever take you serious. Your lines were terrible. Your a face with a build, that is all.

Black Widow, your purpose is........?

Does anyone even get close to injured on The Avengers squad? What a terrible villain and plot. I cannot believe this has a 93% on RT. RT has become a complete joke.

This movie sucked hardcore guys. It was just to simple. 12 people tops have actual lines in the movie.

Robin from How I Met Your Mother was looking soooo sexy though.

/rant
LOL!! +1 on the "RT just shot themselves in the foot." post!

Ok, I'll try a serious answer:
If you didn't like it, and say so, it's ok, it's your opinion.
If you didn't like it, and say "this movie is bad", you have to back it up properly and you're also kinda shitting on all the people that liked it.
LOL @ shitting on RT!!!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That was an effective troll and it was fun, but I wish we'd gotten a little more out of him leading up to my lunchtime :( Now I have to work and crap!

noah111

Still Alive
Just accidentally discovered this when googling;

yIXxH.png

:lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Had a gyro platter for lunch, my stand in for shawarma...

Wish there was a decent middle eastern place around here.

I'm starting to hate the fact that tumblr's giving me so much damn entertaining stuff. I've been wasting hours looking through posts for the past couple of nights, it's ridiculous.

Anyways, I'm rather fond of this person's art for no reason at all...

tumblr_m3k8yg1fk21qeqx7ko1_1280.jpg

ReiGun

I am dissapointed there was no AVENGERS ASSEMBLE

I was too, but there really wasn't a place for it. In the sequel though, I want that shit loud and clear.

Now, what I am disappointed we didnt get that there was a place for is "HULK STRONGEST THERE IS!"

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The titlecard for this movie ruled, by the way.

"Are you guys alive? ...guys?"

"We're here."

"Things have escalated beyond our control."

"...what can we do?"

*beat*

THE AVENGERS!!!!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The titlecard for this movie ruled, by the way.

"Are you guys alive? ...guys?"

"We're here."

"Things have escalated beyond our control."

"...what can we do?"

*beat*

THE AVENGERS!!!!
Hmmm... I don't know exaclty how to spoiler this but bizarrely enough, this
reminded me immediately
of Cabin in the Woods
KuGsj.gif

Dai101

Banned
As i said before, Mexicans love dem Avengers ese:

The Avengers in Mexico

The Avengers is also a great success in Mexico, where officially imposed the record for the highest grossing film of all time at the national and the most watched in the country during its theatrical release.

The film directed by Joss Whedon totaled 577.96 million pesos (like $20 USD, lol j/k) to 11 May, but the income of the weekend the film surpassed the amount of 600 million pesos and is officially the highest grossing. In this record adds the eleven million 125 thousand people have attended to see The Avengers: The Avengers in theaters this country, as reported by the National Film Industry and videograms (CANACINE).

Why didn't they use the same logo for the title card as in the posters/comics? That bothered me a little bit.

Strangely, I see this fairly often in movies and I just don't get it. You would think the title card would be about the last thing they'd have to do - certainly not as early on as all the promo material.

effzee

Watched it last night.

Its funny if I think about it and analyze it I can come up with the same complaints and things that just didn't work for me as others have mentioned.

But the good parts are so good that it kinda makes up for the extremely simply plot, villain, and conclusion.

Some of the action scenes gave me a nerd boner and it was basically my childhood dream of seeing superheroes together on the big screen.

DAT SCARJO!

I don't know where it ranks but its easily better than all the other Marvel movies, Spiderman 1&3, X-Men 1,3, and first class. The fact that it belongs in the same realm as XMEN2, Spiderman2, BB, and TDK for me is a shock because I never expected it to be good.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Are seriously really saying Black widow didnt do anything? Shes basically the human anchor in the entire film. Her role is crucial in making you feel how a human can still be a hero in this film without any powers. In hindsight, and after getting over my Hulk fanboyism, Id say she steals the show.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
She won me over too. I thought absolutely nothing of her in Iron Man 2 despite loving the comic book character, and was ready to write her off completely.

Watched it last night.

Its funny if I think about it and analyze it I can come up with the same complaints and things that just didn't work for me as others have mentioned.

But the good parts are so good that it kinda makes up for the extremely simply plot, villain, and conclusion.

Some of the action scenes gave me a nerd boner and it was basically my childhood dream of seeing superheroes together on the big screen.

DAT SCARJO!

I don't know where it ranks but its easily better than all the other Marvel movies, Spiderman 1&3, X-Men 1,3, and first class. The fact that it belongs in the same realm as XMEN2, Spiderman2, BB, and TDK for me is a shock because I never expected it to be good.

I think simple works the best for me in thse comic book movies. One of the reason I thought Iron Man worked was because at the end the main villiam was not a super villian and they were basically fighting of control of Tony's company. I know when you deal with super heroes the tendency is to push for large comicbook stlye action and fights but when you ground it just a bit more I think it really helps. It's hard to say that the avengers was grounded but Loki cam across as fairly simple and so did the threat.

Are seriously really saying Black widow didnt do anything? Shes basically the human anchor in the entire film. Her role is crucial in making you feel how a human can still be a hero in this film without any powers. In hindsight, and after getting over my Hulk fanboyism, Id say she steals the show.

It's funny that I actually connected more with the non-powered characters than the powered-ones (CA kinda occupies both spaces for me). This is the first film in a while where I couldn't hate on anybody in the main cast - everyone's represented pretty well I'd say (though more screen time would help too). Powers are cool and all, but sometimes I prefer the non-powered heroes more.

Also, I love watching all of the cast interviews with these guys - they all seem pretty tight-knit for the most part.

effzee

I think simple works the best for me in thse comic book movies. One of the reason I thought Iron Man worked was because at the end the main villiam was not a super villian and they were basically fighting of control of Tony's company. I know when you deal with super heroes the tendency is to push for large comicbook stlye action and fights but when you ground it just a bit more I think it really helps. It's hard to say that the avengers was grounded but Loki cam across as fairly simple and so did the threat.

Actually meant the opposite.

I basically want two things from comic book movies and its the same two things I want from any movie really.

1. If its an adaptation from source material then stick to it and play it up!
2. Be written, directed, and acted well

I think Avengers could have been better if the villain or threat was more menacing but I get that the point isn't Loki but rather if the Avengers can trust each other to work as a team.

I think its problem that plagues Superman movies. They never go into the comic book canon, explore the many varied villains, and open up the universe even though we are dealing with an alien life form. Keeping it grounded works for Batman. Works for Iron Man too. But what made the Avengers for me is that they didn't shy away from the universe of each character and it was just end to end action. If Nolan made Batman too simple I thin he would have failed.

Basically you have to know what you are working with and how to make it come alive on screen.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's funny that I actually connected more with the non-powered characters than the powered-ones (CA kinda occupies both spaces for me). This is the first film in a while where I couldn't hate on anybody in the main cast - everyone's represented pretty well I'd say (though more screen time would help too). Powers are cool and all, but sometimes I prefer the non-powered heroes more.

Also, I love watching all of the cast interviews with these guys - they all seem pretty tight-knit for the most part.
I think, I'm really sorry to say, that Cobie is the weak link against the other talent on screen. But I mean come on...
tumblr_m38z2u8E2t1qa7hzxo7_250.gif

fake edit: holy god there is some amazing new stuff on the tumblr. I might have to xpost...

I think, I'm really sorry to say, that Cobie is the weak link against the other talent on screen. But I mean come on...
tumblr_m38z2u8E2t1qa7hzxo7_250.gif

fake edit: holy god there is some amazing new stuff on the tumblr. I might have to xpost...

Dude, she was eye candy for the Helicarrier... I'm good for that. And yes, there's tons of stuff on tumblr right now... It's turning me into an insomniac at this rate.

i just remembered X-men First class, and to me that was the best Marvel superhero movie so far, now i am comparing it to Avengers and it's...hard to decide which i like more?

Avengers clearly had the better and bigger action, but FC DID have a couple more intimate, personal scenes that i just LOVED that seemed to be missing from Avengers..

I mean the part where Erik goes travelling the world in search the bad guy that tortured him was SO awesome! Then the whole drama how Charles believed in him and made him realize his full potential only to be betrayed in the end! that was some genuinely powerful stuff that was ENTIRELY missing from Avengers i felt...

ah well maybe i'm just a sucker for Fassbender(like everyone) but i still can't decide, i guess i'll just have to love em BOTH!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Fassbender and McAvoy had legit great performances; meanwhile, no one in the Avengers came anywhere close to straight up sucking as did January Jones when she butchered the shit out of one of the strongest characters in X-Men lore.

I do like the movie a lot, and Bacon is great casting as Shaw (plus lord knows I am an absolute sucker for Jennifer Lawrence in anything anytime ever).

Fassbender and McAvoy had legit great performances; meanwhile, no one in the Avengers came anywhere close to straight up sucking as did January Jones when she butchered the shit out of one of the strongest characters in X-Men lore.

I do like the movie a lot, and Bacon is great casting as Shaw (plus lord knows I am an absolute sucker for Jennifer Lawrence in anything anytime ever).

i agree that some of the weaker hero action in FC straight up sucked but in the end the chemistry between Fassbender and McAvoy made up for it imo!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Definitely. I actually liked all of the main cast to some degree except whoever played Havok who had essentially no personality and the aforementioned Jones.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Definitely. I actually liked all of the main cast to some degree except whoever played Havok who had essentially no personality and the aforementioned Jones.

i will never forgive FC after what it did to darwin...wtf he could stood around lookin at shit in the final segment of the movie like the rest of them while Magneto and Azazel did all the work.

I'd like to just jump into the pit real fast and say that the original Ultimate Iron Man armor is the best design. It's the most believable for me, too, as it's large and bulky to house all the electronics that would be required in a suit like that, not just inch-thick bands of metal conforming to Tony's body. Plus it looks boss as fuuuccckkk:

ultimate-iron-man.jpg

1215283-ultimate_ironman_large.jpg

Sadly, I'm pretty sure he just uses 616 Iron Man armor in the Ultimate comics these days.

Edit: Ok just did some research and WTF, talk about inconsistency between titles. in Ultimate Comics: Avengers, the covers show him wearing the Ultimate armor. In Ultimate Comics: Ultimates, it shows him wearing the normal 616 armor. In Ultimate Spider-Man, he's wearing 616 armor but with slight design cues from the Ultimate armor. Get your shit together!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Edit: Ok just did some research and WTF, talk about inconsistency between titles. in Ultimate Comics: Avengers, the covers show him wearing the Ultimate armor. In Ultimate Comics: Ultimates, it shows him wearing the normal 616 armor. In Ultimate Spider-Man, he's wearing 616 armor but with slight design cues from the Ultimate armor. Get your shit together!

i havent read them, but i think there are two different iron men on avengers and ultimates.

BigDes

I'd like to just jump into the pit real fast and say that the original Ultimate Iron Man armor is the best design. It's the most believable for me, too, as it's large and bulky to house all the electronics that would be required in a suit like that, not just inch-thick bands of metal conforming to Tony's body. Plus it looks boss as fuuuccckkk:

ultimate-iron-man.jpg

1215283-ultimate_ironman_large.jpg

Sadly, I'm pretty sure he just uses 616 Iron Man armor in the Ultimate comics these days.

Technically that Iron Man armor there is what an actor is wearing in a cheap cable movie about the life of Tony Stark

This is because Mark Millar is a petty little baby and cried when someone else was playing with his Ultimate universe

I mean I'm no fan of Orson Scott Bigot but Millar is a real shit most of the time

Technically that Iron Man armor there is what an actor is wearing in a cheap cable movie about the life of Tony Stark

This is because Mark Millar is a petty little baby and cried when someone else was playing with his Ultimate universe

I mean I'm no fan of Orson Scott Bigot but Millar is a real shit most of the time

Wait, wait, wait... what!?

I've only read Ultimates Vol 1-3 (ugh, 3) and Ultimate Iron Man Vol 1 & 2, the only Ultimate Comics series I keep up with is Spider-Man. Did they seriously retcon the old Ultimates stuff to be a movie about them, or am I misunderstanding you?

Not really, it still fits in the continuity iirc.
Yeah, it's not a reboot because in Ultimate Spider-Man, the Avengers and the Ultimates are fighting with one another. Same timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom