• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mary Poppins Returns - Trailer

Gander

Banned
I remember my cousins liking a similar film called Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I wonder if that is set for reboot as well?

-hal-

It's only a brief glimpse at the movie, but Emily Blunt gives off a totally different vibe as Mary Poppins than did Julie Andrews, and I'm not really into it. Andrews seemed so warm and friendly, even when rebuking other characters, whereas Blunt comes across as sort of cold and aloof.

Also... the voice. I mean, there's no chance Blunt is going to come close to matching Andrews' superb singing ability. At least not as evidenced by the trailer.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I remember my cousins liking a similar film called Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I wonder if that is set for reboot as well?

Loved that movie. Our 6th grade teacher way back in the day stopped it during the climax because it showed witch craft prevailing against Nazi's, and she felt that would lead kids to be wickas.

Kenpachii

Yea bedknobs and broomsticks is basically marry poppins alternative. Really good movie. Another movie called Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is also such kind of movie that i really really enjoyed with some of the same actor(s) and period.

A new take on marry poppins can be interesting to see what they can do with the IP and push new adventures. I loved them when i was a kid and i still like to watch it now. It's such a good mix of performance, actors, music, environment and time age it's something that really can't be mirrored anymore in current time. The camera photography was just brilliant in that time period.

The new marry poppins could be interesting, however she feels rather cold instead of warm but still straight to the point tho. Kids not feeling it they lack character and the father just seems like a bad casting entirely.

But who knows, maybe it will surprise me. Better something then nothing i guess.

Last edited:
It's only a brief glimpse at the movie, but Emily Blunt gives off a totally different vibe as Mary Poppins than did Julie Andrews, and I'm not really into it. Andrews seemed so warm and friendly, even when rebuking other characters, whereas Blunt comes across as sort of cold and aloof.

Also... the voice. I mean, there's no chance Blunt is going to come close to matching Andrews' superb singing ability. At least not as evidenced by the trailer.

I'm not gonna lie, after that Oscar performance a while back I was thinking they should have cast Lady Gaga, she's got the chops for it. Then I laughed conjuring up a mental image of Gaga meeting the kids for the first time and entering the house with her meat outfit. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

never cared about this movie as a kid. i hate musicals. also what the fuck is she is she a witch or a demon. i know a lot of those old tales or whatever are dark is her story one of those where shell like drink a kids brain juice if they arent nice or some shit

wasnt the original movie mary poppins and her family were cool with nazis or some shit. they had like a nazi talent show

nvm that was sound of music right

Last edited:

Hissing Sid

Saw a Mary Poppins remake (Now with a 100% moar Poppin!!), trailer at the local cinema when I took the kids to see the Teen Titan Movie.

I had to agree with the guy sat in front of me who just uttered one word after the trailer had finished.

‘Why?’

Yeah.. Well I’m sure it all made perfect sense in the fevered minds of the suits who dreamt the whole thing up. As per.

And as if that wasn’t bad enough, I’d just had to sit through an abominable NHS *Train like a Jedi & roundhouse like Jackie Chan!*, change 4 life advert.

Fucking Bejeezus!

I’d like to say the rancid starter was more than made up for by the main course but alas no. The Teen Titans Movie ended up being pretty much what I expected it would be, an hour and a half of fart and arse jokes.

The kids enjoyed it though.

Akuza89

I love the original nothing will knock it, not even a bad sequel. (not saying it is bad, just saying if it turns out bad.)

However, this actually looks pretty good, using the original children all grown up who have children, heck even using dick van dyke as the banker again is brilliant, although it's a shame he couldn't be bert again... and I can't imagine they've recast him.. maybe bert will turn up during the film.

Mary poppins better not go falling in love too!

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
The Original is hands down my most watched movie of all time and Nothing could ever top it.

But this looks good so far

-hal-

wasnt the original movie mary poppins and her family were cool with nazis or some shit. they had like a nazi talent show

nvm that was sound of music right

No, not at all. The Von Trapp family in The Sound of Music were fleeing to Switzerland because of the Third Reich's annexation of Austria.

She nails the sassiness, which is great. The snippet of singing in the trailer seems like classic Disney. Using cartoon animation is super sharp and totally sells the reboot.

But none of that matters because seeing Dick Van Dyke is what sold me on it.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
It's surprising just how much they changed the character.

Guardians-Galaxy-2-Mary-Poppins-Line-Michael-Rooker.jpg

I guess those dark magics that let you fly take a toll on the human body tho.

Last edited:

NahaNago

This version still seems really dark to me but this new trailer brightens it up a little bit more with the magic. I also don't like the new Mary Poppins that much.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is an awesome movie as well but imagining them singing a saw song like that these days just makes me cringe. I need to watch bedknobs and broomsticks again since I barely remember that movie.

I'm still quite interested in the movie since I love Mary Poppins/ I'm definitely going to go see this movie.

Top Bottom