• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masahiro Sakurai (Smash Bros) on how much he enjoyed NieR Automata

Exentryk

Sakurai's Famitsu Column Vol. 526:

Since the end of last year, there's been a slew of really intense games being released. I'm having trouble keeping up, but another very fun game has popped up– this time, it's NieR: Automata.

In Automata, the action is crisp and responsive, and it feels great. ‘As expected of Platinum,' is a phrase I'm sure many people thought or said. It's fast and responsive, but has feels like attacks and moves have actual heft and weight behind them. The way enemies explode and the sound effects they make are satisfying too.

One thing I love about the NieR series is that they try to step outside their game or genre-defined ”boundaries" to shock the audience. Just that element itself is enough for me to want to play these games.

I'm not saying people should deliberately try to be weird, and make unconventional games. But in the case of NieR, everything about the game is done with intent and purpose, and choices like the one to make the main character an android feel like one part of a defined greater vision.

More at the article, as translated by Source Gaming.

UghYt5j.jpg

sn00zer

I do think at least from the demo, automato felt like it had more heft than the wispiness of previous Platinum games.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I’m not saying people should deliberately try to be weird, and make unconventional games. But in the case of NieR, everything about the game is done with intent and purpose, and choices like the one to make the main character an android feel like one part of a defined greater vision.

YES so much this. The reason why I call it the most intriguing game I've played so far this year. It's still haunting my thoughts since I finished it.

If there weren't like a 1000 other games to play I would be very tempted to replay again to dig down even more on everything.

You have no idea how much my Japanese friends love this game (male and female). It pretty much has a cult following right now.

Also I wouldn't mind seeing 2B in Smash.

hatchx

Banned
I've struggled to be interested in Nier. I don't know why. I just can't.

Well, that has changed now. I will purchase this game now based Sakurai.

LotusHD

Banned
YES so much this. The reason why I call it the most intriguing game I've played so far this year. It's still haunting my thoughts since I finished it.

If there weren't like a 1000 other games to play I would be very tempted to replay again to dig down even more on everything.

What I like a lot about the game is that there's a bunch of stuff I missed out, among other things, that I'd love to catch whenever I decide to replay the game.

You have no idea how much my Japanese friends love this game (male and female). It pretty much has a cult following right now.

Also I wouldn't mind seeing 2B in Smash.

I just wanna recommend it to everyone. And yea, 2B in Smash would be dope.

So... can we get a Platinum-esque Kid Icarus sequel?

That's something I've been wanting to see for awhile. Kid Icarus Uprising basically is like a Platinum character action game, only through the lens of Sakurai. I would hope a hypothetical Platinum KI game would turn out better than Star Fox Zero, though. lol

Honestly, I shouldn't even be surprised, given Kid Icarus Uprising's credits gimmick.

Uh, technically, Smash Bros. did the "shoot the credits" thing first. If that's what you mean, anyway.

Uh, technically, Smash Bros. did the "shoot the credits" thing first. If that's what you mean, anyway.

No, I mean the part where the credits roll and you've only seen like a third of the game. (Though Automata has a legit credits roll whereas KIU's is a fake-out)

PillarEN

Good to hear such positivity.

The part where he brings up "tearing through panels" made me think of Comix Zone. Not related to the interview in anyway, but for a game that's like 25 years old it still had the power to come immediately to mind when I read that.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah from what I've seen and heard of the game it actually sounds right up Sakurai's alley. He always likes doing multifaceted games and Nier sounds just like that.

Galang

Banned
I'll take 2B over Cloud any day. Hopefully he'll be axed and completely erased like Snake for the Switch port. The real Square representive we need

Cerium

I'll take 2B over Cloud any day. Hopefully he'll be axed and completely erased like Snake for the Switch port. The real Square representive we need
I'm convinced it was Konami that did the axing and erasing.

Like it or not, it was Snake who opened the door for third party characters in Smash.

The Hermit

damn

I want to play Automata so much... hope my 390 can run it decently

So little time for PC though, so much backlog :_;

True Fire

Well, his Kid Icarus reboot was kind of similar to NieR in design philosophy. I imagine he'll be making a phone call to Platinum soon.

Sakurai's Famitsu columns always have interesting shit in them. It's cool to see such a highly-regarded game designer gush about other games. Glad to see he loved Nier Automata. I did too.

Top Bottom