• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
"Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota." (3/16/20)

This guy was on JRE recently - a must listen.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Do they have a "little italy" there? Like here in so cal we have korea town. Is there something similar there? If so, wonder if family and stuff flew in before all the lockdowns went in to place.
Ironically little Italy in NYC has been pretty much taken over by Chinatown.

Tiamat2san

Ok, this is epic.

11thJIx.jpg

For those out of the loop, it's anti-theft "spider wire".
Or as I call them
« Box/ blister destroyer »

Positive COVID-19 test for someone in the building next to my LA office... Koreatown.

Glad I don't work down there anymore, but getting a lot closer to home. All the employees down there are shitting themselves.

JordanN

Banned
If you're Canadian, pay attention to the next two weeks.

Trudeau will try and pass the Emergency Support Act, which entitles you to 14 weeks of benefits.

In an address to the nation, Trudeau said workers who don't qualify for employment insurance can apply to receive the Emergency Support Benefit every two weeks for 14 weeks. He said applicants can include those who are placed in quarantine or have to self-isolate, those who are ill with the coronavirus infection, and those who must care for someone with COVID-19.

Last edited:
Not for me. The toll road at 8am was completely empty. Like how it is on a Sunday. 495 and the GW Pkwy were a little more busy but still no real traffic. It's so weird.

The roads have been eerily empty the couple times I have been out the last couple of days. Definitely feels weird.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Not for me. The toll road at 8am was completely empty. Like how it is on a Sunday. 495 and the GW Pkwy were a little more busy but still no real traffic. It's so weird.

Really? I'm still hitting traffic on 95 anyway always nice to see a neighbor ! I'm native to Buffalo but live in Alexandria/Baileys

Sakura

Kacho

Really? I'm still hitting traffic on 95 anyway always nice to see a neighbor ! I'm native to Buffalo but live in Alexandria/Baileys
Yeah, looks like we have several people from the DMV in this thread. Pretty cool.

I'm in the Ashburn area and I hit up my 7-11 for some drinks last night. The whole damn tobacco shelf behind the counter was cleaned out. People are panic buying like crazy. lmao

JordanN

Banned
Probably because it was a stupid fucking idea.

Yo where's my cheque
It has to pass Parliament first, in which case, you will probably just have to register online for it and money will be given to you via direct deposit.

But it's $27 Billion, so get it before it's gone.

Last edited:

rykomatsu

No problem. They come from another forum where a Doctor in the "know" is answering questions from members.

Are you able to ask questions there by chance?

If so, could you ask what antipyretics are options if one cannot take paracetamol due to Steven-Johnsons Syndrome / Toxic Epidermal Necrosis (mortality rate of 30-70%)?

Vermont is changing the way it reports cases. There are now 10 cases in the state.
From CNN's Carma Hassan

Vermont will no longer report non-Vermont resident cases of the novel coronavirus, according to the state’s Department of Health spokesman Ben Truman.

Yesterday, the state was reporting 12 cases of coronavirus: 8 Vermont residents and 4 non-Vermont residents with coronavirus.

Today, it is only reporting 10 cases of coronavirus among its residents.

Is this serious? How can this not incurr in jail time? That is officially reporting wrong numbers.

cryptoadam

Banned

Damn picking up pace... 34% rise (+676 cases) :messenger_neutral:

But how many tests yesterday ?

Is the increase in pace matching the increas i testing ?

If i test 500 today and get 100 infected but then 1000 tomorrow but 200 infected there was a case increase overall but not % wise.

cryptoadam

Banned
So lets say we decided to do the worst thing possible.

We quarantine every old person and stop sending people to the ICU. Basically say if u are that fucked well to bad.

How many infected and dead do you think we would have ?

If we consider 96 to 99% test negative and 95% of deaths are old people where would we be ?

Again worse case scenario where we said ICUs are closed.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
OSHA, in its infinite wisdom, has classified COVID as recordable/reportable if it's contracted in the workplace.

This is disastrous for small businesses like the one I am safety administrator for. To put it into perspective, if Joe shows up to work for us and infects Jim and Jill we will never get a job again because our EMR safety rating will be so low nobody will hire us. Large companies can absorb a few cases, small companies cannot.

Expect small businesses that rely on EMR to start shutting down to protect the ability for them to get work in the future. Lots of jobs, including my own, are about to be lost because OSHA is fucking retarded.

Last edited:
Trump is sending a hospital ship to New York, governor says

Gov. Andrew Cuomo said today at a news conference that the federal government will be dispatching the USNS Comfort hospital ship to New York to assist with the health care capacity.

Cuomo said it would be docked in New York City harbor.
Cuomo called this an "extraordinary step" because the Comfort is "literally a floating hospital."

The President and Cuomo are also discussing the possibility of the federal government putting up mobile hospitals in New York to help with capacity, the governor said.

Cuomo said that New York needs to increase its hospital bed capacity by 50,000 to meet the potential need to care for coronavirus cases.

Shrap

He spent the entire fucking conference talking about the real issues at hand, every single day... he only said China Virus in passing.... it's you who decided to spend your energy on that, no one else.
I'm not a Trump supporter by any means, nor how he has handled the coronavirus thus far but he didn't say China Virus in passing; he said it on purpose, and for good reason - The CPC is currently trying to cover up its mess and spin a false narrative. They are spreading crazy propaganda about the US military causing the virus, which they know no one will buy but they use it as a smokescreen to obscure the truth. They are also praising themselves for how they contained the virus and pushing western media to do the same. They are hoping everyone conveniently forgets that it originated in China and has somehow reached almost every country in the world. The first 2 months of containment in China was not of the virus itself but of publicity.

It is of global importance that the CPC be held accountable for what has happened. Poor hygiene, wet markets and wild animals need to be put to an end, not just for China's sake, but for the world. As soon as business goes back to normal in China another biological timebomb starts ticking.

Last edited:
So lets say we decided to do the worst thing possible.

We quarantine every old person and stop sending people to the ICU. Basically say if u are that fucked well to bad.

How many infected and dead do you think we would have ?

If we consider 96 to 99% test negative and 95% of deaths are old people where would we be ?

Again worse case scenario where we said ICUs are closed.

You need to quarantine everyone, not just old people. Its time to care more about lives rather than economics.

IF 1% of the population gets severe symptons (which is a very optimistic outcome), then there will be millions of deaths, not only from the virus, but because hospitals will basically be closed.

This virus is estimated to infect 40-70% of the global population, and right now about 4-6% result in death, and its not only old people, on a 65+ y/o they have a 15-20% death, but on an average adult its still about 2%.

I know its hard to believe something like this, but in Europe this is the standard now, everyone I know is on quarantine, no one is leaving the house, and its like that in pretty much every single country.

Last edited:
New York has tested more than 14,000 people, governor says
Gov. Andrew Cuomo said that more than 14,000 people have been tested for coronavirus in the state of New York.

There are 2,382 total cases of coronavirus in New York state with 1,008 new positive cases.

“The numbers are going up. Hence the increased actions to reduce the spread, the density reduction,” Cuomo said.

There are 549 people currently hospitalized in the city.

You need to quarantine everyone, not just old people. Its time to care more about lives rather than economics.

IF 1% of the population gets severe symptons (which is a very optimistic outcome), then there will be millions of deaths, not only from the virus, but because hospitals will basically be closed.

This virus is estimated to infect 40-70% of the global population, and right now about 4-6% result in death, and its not only old people, on a 65+ y/o they have a 15-20% death, but on an average adult its still about 2%.

I know its hard to believe something like this, but in Europe this is the standard now, everyone I know is on quarantine, no one is leaving the house, and its like that in pretty much every single country.
This is a both/and situation, since people will assuredly die if economies collapse.

The countries that get through this need to balance the need to lock down with the need to provide for those in lockdown.

cryptoadam

Banned

Well that was my scenario. We close the hospitals basically and say if you got it you either recover or you die. Like it was 1890 and we didnt have all these respirstord and ICUs etc....

If we had millions dead do you think it would still break down along the same age lines?

Clearly we will never close hospitals but wondering if it got so bad that hospitals just closed how bad people think it will get.

I figure if it got to that point to protect the elderly we would probably lock them away and then force everyone else to just deal with it.

NorwayBot

Banned
Some numbers from Norway:

1423 got the Coronavirus
68 admitted to hospital
6 deaths, 3 the last 24 hours

Norway is nr. 4 in testing compared to population, in the world, after the Emirates, Iceland and South Korea. (tested almost 29000)
Currently, testing is not open for everybody, just critical personnel and "sick people".

Private health institutions are "lending" their personnel and resources to the State, - all hands on deck.

People, retired or out of work, with certain skill levels in health, sanitation, transport, etc ,are encouraged to report for duty as backup personnel if shit really hits the fan.

Health care students are already being fast-tracked so they can be ready when the impending storm arrives. (May to October according to the Norwegian CDC)

Stay Safe

Last edited:
US reports more than 7,000 coronavirus cases
From CNN's Amanda Watts

There are at least 7,111 cases of the novel coronavirus in the United States, according to the state and local health agencies and governments and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

According to the CDC, there are 70 cases from repatriated citizens. And according to CNN Health’s tally of US cases that are detected and tested in the United States through public health systems, there are 7,041 cases in all 50 states, Washington, DC, and other U.S. territories, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases to 7,111.
In total, 117 people have died.

Tracker at 7,411 cases in US

#Phonepunk#

Banned
woah someone in my sister in law's hospital tested positive for it. she's an EMT. luckily she has taken off work for the week and is in self quarantine.

daily report from my state

146 cases, up from 66 on Friday. still only 1 death.

This is a both/and situation, since people will assuredly die if economies collapse.

The countries that get through this need to balance the need to lock down with the need to provide for those in lockdown.

Not necessarily, Europe is basically on a stand still and surprisingly making sure no one will face financial strain, because they are working on a mutual debt system.

Well that was my scenario. We close the hospitals basically and say if you got it you either recover or you die. Like it was 1890 and we didnt have all these respirstord and ICUs etc....

If we had millions dead do you think it would still break down along the same age lines?

Clearly we will never close hospitals but wondering if it got so bad that hospitals just closed how bad people think it will get.

I figure if it got to that point to protect the elderly we would probably lock them away and then force everyone else to just deal with it.

Italy is already doing that, everyone over 80+ is being denied assistance, its not helping the problem, because it will affect the average adult and not only the elderly in very very large numbers. America has quite a high number of people with respiratory difficulties such as asthma or bronchitis, which makes this problem ten fold worst.

I live in Madeira, we only have 1 active case and we already closed down schools, gyms, nightclubs and bars, restaurants and pretty much everything, and we already closed the ICU and all non essencial medical procedures...and we only have 1 case. Our president dealt with this very harshly, but everyone is very glad he did, we can still go out for a walk but thats pretty much it, the streets are very empty. The mainland (Portugal) took longer to act and theres already about 650 cases and 2 deaths and tonight at midnight they will activate the state of emergency.

I know this seems too far fetched, but do not ignore the numbers, both the UK and US arent taking this seriously enough, this will spread like wildfire, kill millions and our lives will only go back to normal in 6-12 months unless they find a miracle cure that is already in the market. Japan has discovered that Favipiravir helps quite a bit, and this has been around 2014, so it might be a solution since its already aproved, but we'll see.

cryptoadam

Banned
Not necessarily, Europe is basically on a stand still and surprisingly making sure no one will face financial strain, because they are working on a mutual debt system.

Italy is already doing that, everyone over 80+ is being denied assistance, its not helping the problem, because it will affect the average adult and not only the elderly in very very large numbers. America has quite a high number of people with respiratory difficulties such as asthma or bronchitis, which makes this problem ten fold worst.

I live in Madeira, we only have 1 active case and we already closed down schools, gyms, nightclubs and bars, restaurants and pretty much everything, and we already closed the ICU and all non essencial medical procedures...and we only have 1 case. Our president dealt with this very harshly, but everyone is very glad he did, we can still go out for a walk but thats pretty much it, the streets are very empty. The mainland (Portugal) took longer to act and theres already about 650 cases and 2 deaths and tonight at midnight they will activate the state of emergency.

I know this seems too far fetched, but do not ignore the numbers, both the UK and US arent taking this seriously enough, this will spread like wildfire, kill millions and our lives will only go back to normal in 6-12 months unless they find a miracle cure that is already in the market. Japan has discovered that Favipiravir helps quite a bit, and this has been around 2014, so it might be a solution since its already aproved, but we'll see.

My province is doing a good job with it. We have thousdans of beds and repirators available and we only have a population of 8 million. We also have thousands of healt care workers willing to come out of retirment.

We have closed down pretty much everythig not work so restos cinemas gyms and schools. Only thing i want them to do is close the metro and bus. Only 22 casss in my city.

I dont doubt its seriouse. My only hypothetical is if we ever said fuck it how bad would it get. You get it and you either stay home sick and recover or die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom