• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesseract

Banned
Man I wish the politics people would take their shit to the politics board....

I come to this thread for updates and numbers, not people having a pissing contest over Trump or against him. Fuck politics, fuck the economy, human lives are what matter here right now. Jesus this thread sucks now

don't start nothing, won't be nothing

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hmm. If you are already suspicious that I'm an "alt sock puppet", there isn't much I can do to persuade you otherwise. And you are right. That post was 75% criticism and 25% genuine curiosity. To be honest, I'm not much of a forum poster. I usually browse for information, but don't post. I also went over to read Resetera, and recently came back because I don't agree with much over there either.

I'm here now because I'm trying to stay informed without digesting the media. And for the most part, it was valuable to me. Recently there has been a lot of stuff I don't like, so I say so. I'm not abovehaving my opinion changed, but to be honest many in this thread are so short fused and salty, it's not really possible to have a conversation that doesn't turn into people stroking out over their political side losing.

Trump leaves a lot to be desired, and I don't care for him. I'm also willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, and put aside my misgivings and root for him if he makes it happen. I'm not sure many in here would say the same for the "other side". Would you?

If you think I don't also deserve to be here, then please recommend some news sites that aren't propaganda, like CNN and Fox News. Serious request.

This thread isn’t about you. Take a hike.

Rbk_3

I am honestly impressed across the board about the job our politicians have done, compared to the US, where this pandemic became politicized. For the most part, everyone in Canada seems to put their differences aside to do what is best for the country.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I am honestly impressed across the board about the job our politicians have done, compared to the US, where this pandemic became politicized. For the most part, everyone in Canada seems to put their differences aside to do what is best for the country.

There's been a lot of bullshit bickering in the US, but I don't see how you can say that shit isn't getting done.

Karma Jawa

I’d be very surprised if this peaks in the US in only two weeks. I reckon the US is about two weeks behind the UK, and we’re about two weeks behind Italy. We’re not even sure if Italy is close to flattening the curve, especially as they’ve just announced that they were only using death stats based on deaths in hospitals.

I reckon the US is five or six weeks away from peaking, and that’s being optimistic.

The game changer could be the new test kit being talked about. It’s cheap, easy to make, small, and delivers results quickly. Simply being able to know who has the virus will dramatically decrease the spread and ease the pressure on the hospitals.

Jtibh

Banned
qJO9vOh.jpg

Kazza

OMG our Dutch CDC now admits their models are not being reached but their worst case scenarios are ... good work people .. it’s not rocket science! Like I shouted weeks ago! Lock down ! And your herd immunity experiment failed, just like I predicted..

They should give me their job.. good thing I tweeted our PM my plan weeks ago 🤣 (true story)

Now you ffed us. 🤡

Although the UK and Netherlands have been the two countries getting the most attention (and criticism) for being open about "herd immunity, it is actually Sweden who have been most hardcore about this

Their numbers don't look much worse than Norway or Denmark right now (which have locked down), so it doesn't seem to have created any huge problems right now. We'll see...

Germany is an example of how early testing can safe lives. One company in Germany had a testing kit ready pretty soon, even the WHO got many from them. You can see the results in their death rates. Most people agree that the early testing is what is making a difference in Germany.

Also early and widespread testing is only 1 variable. You then have to act properly. Testing a lot doesn't make a difference if you don't take the appropriate measures. Many European countries acted pretty late even when they were testing a lot of people.

But no country in Europe I think did more testing than Germany in the end.

The important thing is which deaths are counted as from coronavirus and which are counted as from underlying issues. I've heard Germany tends towards the later, which may be skewing numbers compared to France etc.

Jtibh

Banned
L
Someone needs to educate these people.

The more veg and beans/lentils you eat the less shit there is to wipe from your arse after you've used the toilet.
[/QUOTE

Less shit. Tons of seed.
You wont wipe your ass its like rubbing lego bricks on your ass.

cryptoadam

Banned
So if the Diamond Princess had 20% infection rate after about a month, that could be an interesting number of how many are actually infected right now.

Cruise ship is more enclosed so it is easier to spread. But then OTOH we travel around so much and crowd around that there is also the ability to spread further. Maybe its more around 10% because its being slowed by distance.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow... super famous comedian and personality in Japan, Ken Shimura (70 years old) just passed away of pneumonia after catching Coronavirus. His agency confirmed that he had it on the 25th (although it was likely much earlier). Sad news, but hopefully this will get more folks in Japan to take it seriously.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Wow... super famous comedian and personality in Japan, Ken Shimura (70 years old) just passed away of pneumonia after catching Coronavirus. His agency confirmed that he had it on the 25th (although it was likely much earlier). Sad news, but hopefully this will get more folks in Japan to take it seriously.

Damn, RIP.

Karma Jawa

Working from home sucks. I have found myself working and thinking about work 24/7 now.

I miss my commute. The commute, even though it'sonly 20-30 minutes, gives me enough time to decompress and switch from work mode to home mode. Now, I live at work.

Agree completely. Takes me a similar amount of time to get to and from work, and as you say it’s a helpful barrier.

My home is my sanctuary. It feels invasive having my work stuff on my PC in my bedroom. I won’t complain too much as I’m getting paid and can manage my own time, but it really feels wrong.

Shouta

Damn, I just heard a few days ago he had it. =/

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Agree completely. Takes me a similar amount of time to get to and from work, and as you say it’s a helpful barrier.

My home is my sanctuary. It feels invasive having my work stuff on my PC in my bedroom. I won’t complain too much as I’m getting paid and can manage my own time, but it really feels wrong.

That's surprising. Maybe you're both not enjoying because of everything else going on?
I love being able to work from home. I have so much downtime at work, and being able to fill that time at home is way more enjoyable than at the office. Take a walk, take a comfortable dump, watch some TV, work out, comfortable clothes. When it's time to negotiate salary again, I'm going to push for at least 1 WFH day per week.

Kenpachii

We have not, no rooms , not enough icus . Worst gamble ever.

It’s such a bad decision, that it worked for China and other Asian countries...

It won't help at all, it will cripple the country and its support structure and it will result in people getting mass infected the moment they leave their houses again. And it does not project any results as well as people will hoard up in houses and infect each other that way. Just look at how belgium is doing with there lockdown as example.

What rutte does is by far the best solution we could go for and he's the only leader in entire of europe that actually has his head on his shoulders and that comes from somebody that hates his guts for the traitor he is. Lock down is the absolute last resort if nothing else can be done.And that's what it should be used for and nothing else.

Asian country's and there reporting is laughable at best. I believe in our government to showcase the real numbers, asian ? not even once. Specially not china rofl. They can't even produce fucking medical supply's for shit. Yet they controlled it. Sounds legit man.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

lifa-cobex

Good to see governments saying this. There needs to be some major changes with regards to China once we get past this.
I do wonder if anything will happen. (Fucking hope so)

I get these horrible ideas that countries are going to be so fucking broke after this crisis that they will have no choice but to continue buying China's cheep shit.
I pray for a world wide shake up towards countries developing better quality products for themselves and being more self sustaining.

DrAspirino

Banned
I get these horrible ideas that countries are going to be so fucking broke after this crisis that they will have no choice but to continue buying China's cheep shit.
Aaand you nailed it: right now the economic scenario is so dire that even the gargantuan stimuli given by the governments are going to be just a band-aid within a profound change in the way we live, work and purchase.

According to a recent paper by the Imperial College London COVID-19 response team, the situation we're living right now (i.e. quarantines) is going to last for several months until herd immunity or a vaccine comes first. If this is sustained, the economic impact will be massive, as well as the lifestyle adjustments we'll have to make.

In fact, the economic downturn we're facing at a global level will be so freaking deep, that even the 3.3 million people filing unemployment claims in a single week, will look like a walk in the park.

And which countries are better prepared to face the music as of now? China and Russia.

Russia is the single country with the largest gold reserves in the world (and there's a shortage of gold worldwide) and has almost virtually no debt, thanks to the sanctions imposed by the US. (talk about irony). They also are kind of self-sufficient since they still have factories and industry.

China, on the other hand, is having a market surge and they're buying foreign companies stocks at a cheap, and they also represent 1/3 of all of the manufacturing industry in the world. They basically own the tech industry.

So... if you take that scenario into account, you'll see that in the Americas (yeah, both) we're utterly and completely fucked because our governments thought (20-30 years ago) that outsourcing everything to China was somehow good, that there's no need for local manufacture, and that we would never have a crisis so deep like the one we're having now (yet history repeats itself every 90 years).

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned

Was this posted yet?

This could be huge. If you can test for antibodies, those people will have immunity. We could also get better numbers on where the infections are and how many actually have it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Aaand you nailed it: right now the economic scenario is so dire that even the gargantuan stimuli given by the governments are going to be just a band-aid within a profound change in the way we live, work and purchase.

According to a recent paper by the Imperial College London COVID-19 response team, the situation we're living right now (i.e. quarantines) is going to last for several months until herd immunity or a vaccine comes first. If this is sustained, the economic impact will be massive, as well as the lifestyle adjustments we'll have to make.

In fact, the economic downturn we're facing at a global level will be so freaking deep, that even the 3.3 million people filing unemployment claims in a single week, will look like a walk in the park.

And which countries are better prepared to face the music as of now? China and Russia.

Russia is the single country with the largest gold reserves in the world (and there's a shortage of gold worldwide) and has almost virtually no debt, thanks to the sanctions imposed by the US. (talk about irony). They also are kind of self-sufficient since they still have factories and industry.

China, on the other hand, is having a market surge and they're buying foreign companies stocks at a cheap, and they also represent 1/3 of all of the manufacturing industry in the world. They basically own the tech industry.

So... if you take that scenario into account, you'll see that in the Americas (yeah, both) we're utterly and completely fucked because our governments thought (20-30 years ago) that outsourcing everything to China was somehow good, that there's no need for local manufacture, and that we would never have a crisis so deep like the one we're having now (yet history repeats itself every 90 years).

If you see a global market crash, why would anyone care about gold?

The CCP can only remain power if it continues to provide economic prosperity for its evergrowing middle class. If people stop making shit there, a lot of their companies start to lose out big time and they are going to see a huge depression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom