• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

lock2k

Banned
If you see a global market crash, why would anyone care about gold?

The CCP can only remain power if it continues to provide economic prosperity for its evergrowing middle class. If people stop making shit there, a lot of their companies start to lose out big time and they are going to see a huge depression.
I don't believe China will come out stronger. Companies will want to get out of there and tourism from foreign westerners will virtually end. Not to mention they will become the new muslims because of this and they'll face prejudice everywhere. I think in the long run they (and fucking Winnie the Pooh) will suffer.

Last edited:
I don't believe China will come out stronger. Companies will want to get out of there and tourism from foreign westerners will virtually end. Not to mention they will become the new muslims because of this and they'll face prejudice everywhere. I think in the long run they (and fucking Winnie the Pooh) will suffer.

I'm not sure one way or the other. China is more than willing to pay people to be propagandists, and in the US we worship money. If I find out that we actually do something about this and we don't just roll over and be best buds a year from now I'm gonna be surprised.

What's the saying, "The capitalist will sell you the rope you use to hang him with."

On the other hand people are freaked out by disease, this my short circuit normal impulses/views.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

I feel almost lost. Finally had an off day today and literally played animal crossing all day with my wife, but I realize tomorrow is another day that is going to be harder than the last.

Got told two more of our staff associates called out indefinitely due to fears of the virus. I'm not mad at them, I respect their choice and wish I could do the same but my jobs policy is unless you have proof of having the virus they will not pay for you to stay at home. They also promise not to penalize you if you simply choose to stay home out of fear or concern.

I have shit I have to take care of financially so sitting at home isn't really an option. But I also feel like a piece of shit for going to work cause I interact with people all day and I'm worried I'm just passing any potential virus I may have to patients and not even realize it.

This whole situation is fucked, the store is slightly slower than before but the amount of people easily go against the recommended amount and there is fuck all I can do. My best plan is to get sick, not infect anyone else and quarantine for 2 weeks with pay.

With that being impossible due to the contagion rate of this virus I'm shit out of luck. Also fuck every single person who kept preaching about this simply being the flu and wanting to bicker about mortality rate and which is worse. This is the situation we're faced with right NOW and I'm pretty sure those laid up in hospitals don't give a shit about statistics.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Checked in on all my friends and fam. They are alright but going a bit stir crazy.

My Trump voting parents are both taking this very seriously. Ironically enough the one super feminist person I know thinks it’s no big deal and is asking why everything is shut down. And she’s a scientist lol! Just goes to show you smart people can act like idiots too.

Banned
Had a nervous breakdown today ans terrible panic attack last night.

Between the frustration that neither me or my father are getting any stimulus, lack of food at grocery stores and the whole situation I broke down. The worst is my dog seems to be getting worse and she's been making horrible messes that I'm having to clean constantly.

Last night I had some kind of panic attack. I felt very faint and literally like I was going to die. I haven't had one quite that bad before (I had in the past worse but that was from smoking weed which I don't do anymore)

I have tremors now because to add insult to injury, our Rug Doctor is leaking.

I'm seriously on the verge on a meltdown over everything.

Seriously screw the govt for not helping people who really need the money because they didn't file. I don't even really have an income so I don't and my dad is on fucking small amount of retirement and disability.

Shit sucks right now. And only getting worse.

Much love

Im on the couch and that video makes me feel like I’m at work. Lots of familiar sounds and sights. Hope all my local nurses are doing alright.

I talked to one of My ER friends and she said we have been getting suspected cases and they go right into holding but not sure the transfer rate to the ICU long term. I haven’t been on main campus lately and have been taking care of a small long term facility closer to the house. Much lower risk there and the only risk would be from employees. All of our campuses have cut off all visitors. Every time we walk in the door we get our temps taken and have to wear masks at all times.

The biggest thing is PPE. We really got screwed having China manufacturing everything. We have people reusing N95 masks if they aren’t soiled. Hoping with some of the Domestic Companies helping with stock gets a good amount back into the hands of the people that need them.

Last report I got was peak in May. Hoping the summer months help a bit.

Raven117

Aaand you nailed it: right now the economic scenario is so dire that even the gargantuan stimuli given by the governments are going to be just a band-aid within a profound change in the way we live, work and purchase.

According to a recent paper by the Imperial College London COVID-19 response team, the situation we're living right now (i.e. quarantines) is going to last for several months until herd immunity or a vaccine comes first. If this is sustained, the economic impact will be massive, as well as the lifestyle adjustments we'll have to make.

In fact, the economic downturn we're facing at a global level will be so freaking deep, that even the 3.3 million people filing unemployment claims in a single week, will look like a walk in the park.

And which countries are better prepared to face the music as of now? China and Russia.

Russia is the single country with the largest gold reserves in the world (and there's a shortage of gold worldwide) and has almost virtually no debt, thanks to the sanctions imposed by the US. (talk about irony). They also are kind of self-sufficient since they still have factories and industry.

China, on the other hand, is having a market surge and they're buying foreign companies stocks at a cheap, and they also represent 1/3 of all of the manufacturing industry in the world. They basically own the tech industry.

So... if you take that scenario into account, you'll see that in the Americas (yeah, both) we're utterly and completely fucked because our governments thought (20-30 years ago) that outsourcing everything to China was somehow good, that there's no need for local manufacture, and that we would never have a crisis so deep like the one we're having now (yet history repeats itself every 90 years).
Russia? Ha! Not at oil below 25 bucks.

crowbrow

Banned
Russia? Ha! Not at oil below 25 bucks.
Russia has been becoming more and more detached from the world economy and focusing internally. Basically what the anti-globalists in the US want for the US. Ironically places like Cuba and Russia who have survived decades of economic and trade sanctions might be the most resilient ones to endure when a crisis that relies on more local means of production happens.

Loki

Count of Concision
I'm starting to think about some of the possible mid-term implications of the situation in the US. I am concerned about the very real possibility of violence, particularly towards other people (as opposed to looting of stores). I am working off the assumption that most people who were not criminally inclined, or who could have gone either way, will only engage in violence against others should they be unable to procure their or their family's basic needs of food and shelter. Consider the following points:

1) Lockdown/quarantine may last 1-3 more months, and if it falls on the mid-high end of that range the economic implications would be disastrous. We'd be talking about millions of people without jobs, which means no income save for what the government provides.

2) Government provided CV19-related relief and state unemployment payments will, at some point, run out (note: this can be somewhat forestalled by the Fed continuing to devalue our currency and just printing more money by fiat for the gov't to give to citizens. This would hurt us long-term in relation to the world market, but within the country that money should still be worth enough to provide you with the necessities).

3) Supply chains to stores may be interrupted/broken due to upstream economic impacts (note: I don't know enough about macroeconomics to say that this will likely happen; I only mention it as a possibility).

4) If there is either A) no food in stores, or B) people have no money to buy it with, how long will it be before we start to see violence in our streets? If the stores have food, it will likely come in the form of looting etc. That's bad enough, but what I'm more concerned about is the possibility of armed bandits attacking other folks in their homes in the hopes of stealing whatever food/resources they may have stashed.

I'm mostly thinking about this for my parents' sake, since they live alone and are older. Am I being paranoid/nuts? Is that just so remote a possibility that I shouldn't even be worrying about it? Should I have bought a gun last month? :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Looks like the shutdown in Quebec is already paying off

2840 confirmed cases
Only 342 cases today

22 deaths
No deaths today and 29 recovered

192 hospitalised
28 new hospitalised today

72 in high intensive care
+15 today

Last edited:

womfalcs3

Banned
Johns Hopkins data show the number of new confirmed cases (worldwide) yesterday fell by 8,000 cases compared to the change experienced the day before.

Raw data from https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

CNE3yyN.png

llien

That website (https://www.statista.com/statistics/1105061/coronavirus-deaths-by-region-in-italy/) updated their numbers again, I guess they do it daily? If so, that's nice. They're still behind though as the death total went from 8458 to 9220 (+762, this is about on-par with the 3/27 numbers).

0-29: 1 - (No increase, yay!)
30-39: 20 - x1.11 (+2)
40-49: 81 - x1.06 (+5)
50-59: 340 - x1.08 (+26)
60-69: 1073 - x1.10 (+102)
70-79: 3206 - x1.08 (+239)
80-89: 3652 - x1.09 (+308)
90+: 845 - x1.10 (+78)

So it seems to be killing about on par with #s across the board I guess, for a 1-day snapshot. Will be interesting to follow it and see if/how it changes over time.

Simply use yesterday's data, it's the only one more or less reliable.

crowbrow

Banned

A commercial aircraft carrying 80 tons of gloves, masks, gowns and other medical supplies from Shanghai touched down in New York on Sunday, the first of 22 scheduled flights that White House officials say will funnel much-needed goods to the United States by early April as it battles the world’s largest coronavirus outbreak.

While the goods that arrived in New York on Sunday will be welcomed by hospitals and health care workers — some of whom have resorted to rationing protective gear or using homemade supplies — they represent just a tiny portion of what American hospitals need. The Department of Health and Human Services has estimated that the United States will require 3.5 billion masks if the pandemic lasts a year.

That overwhelming demand has set off a race among foreign countries, American officials at all levels of government and private individuals to acquire protective gear, ventilators and other much-needed goods from China, where newly built factories are churning out supplies even as China’s own epidemic wanes.

“China has abundant protective equipment now, and the rest of the world has a huge shortage,” said James McGregor, the chairman of greater China for APCO Worldwide.

The Trump administration has been seeking to ramp up production of respirators, ventilators and other medical supplies in the United States, but factories are already running at full capacity. Companies like General Motors, Ford and others have stepped forward to try making these products for the first time, but they may need weeks or months before newly built facilities can ramp up their production.

The shipment from China that arrived in New York on Sunday is the product of a public-private partnership — led by President Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner — with major health care distributors like McKesson Corporation, Cardinal Health, Owens & Minor, Medline and Henry Schein, a White House spokesman said. Representatives from those companies attended a meeting at the White House with Mr. Trump on Sunday.

American governors, mayors and lawmakers have been trying to arrange their own shipments of products from China, with some saying the federal government has been moving too slowly, which risks losing out to other foreign buyers. American officials have leaned on sister cities and province relationships, liaison offices they had set up in China to attract investment and connections with state-run Chinese companies to try to secure scarce equipment.

In the private sector, a variety of wealthy individuals, charitable organizations and corporate executives with connections to China have also stepped forward to try to help get goods to the United States.

Jack Ma, the Chinese billionaire and co-founder of Alibaba, is funneling one million masks and 500,000 tests to the United States. The Committee of 100, a leadership organization of Americans of Chinese descent, has raised $1 million to purchase medical supplies and protective gear from around the world to bring to the United States.

When BYD began producing masks in China at the end of February, the Chinese government initially bought up everything they made, he said. Now, the company is busy filling an earlier order of 40 million masks for Italy, but it will send its first order of a million masks to the United States on April 1, Mr. Li said.

Mr. Li said he was also speaking with China’s largest ventilator manufacturer, whose production had been bought up by parties in Europe through September, to try to persuade them to send a few hundred ventilators to the United States.

Here is an idea if the US really wants to punish China. Instead of investing so much money on the military fighting boogeymen around the world and trying to police it why not divert that money into investing in your own country and protect yourselves against your own lack of resources and preparedness?

llien

Nothing draconian about testing and then tracking people's movement via cellphone to ensure that are staying locked down?
At the very least, Israel is doing the same.
US is, wait for it:

South Korea had special rights vs infested persons back from years ago (I guess from influenza times).
It's pragmatic, hardly draconian.

When I said relatively small about South Korea, though, I was referring to its land mass. It's like 1/100th the size of the United States. That certainly makes it a lot easier to implement containment policies.
By this logic, it should be very easy to handle it in NY and in the NY City in particular.

llien

Looks like the shutdown in Quebec is already paying off

2840 confirmed cases
Only 342 cases today

22 deaths
No deaths today and 29 recovered

192 hospitalised
28 new hospitalised today

72 in high intensive care
+15 today
Sharp drop in number of deaths only 5 days after shutdown doesn't look right.

betrayal

Banned
Johns Hopkins data show the number of new confirmed cases (worldwide) yesterday fell by 8,000 cases compared to the change experienced the day before.

Raw data from https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

CNE3yyN.png
Sharp drop in number of deaths only 5 days after shutdown doesn't look right.

I also think that one-time sudden changes, whether up or down, should not be evaluated. In the end, the trend is always the determining factor. In this case, the variables that lead to the individual daily figures are much too high and vulnerable to draw a reliable conclusion.

But of course there are already results from day 1 of a lockdown. But they are only quantifiable in 2-3 weeks.

I also think that one-time sudden changes, whether up or down, should not be evaluated. In the end, the trend is always the determining factor. In this case, the variables that lead to the individual daily figures are much too high and vulnerable to draw a reliable conclusion.

The next essential step in a lockdown

This is an example of what will start hapenning in a week or two, and if it starts hapenning in the US it will be hell on earth with everyone with guns at home. We need to start doing something about the mental health of everyone, specially those in lockdown, because its gonna get harder and harder to follow through if our mental health detiorates.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
This is an example of what will start hapenning in a week or two, and if it starts hapenning in the US it will be hell on earth with everyone with guns at home. We need to start doing something about the mental health of everyone, specially those in lockdown, because its gonna get harder and harder to follow through if our mental health detiorates.

As long as food and essential supplies are getting to people there won't be a problem. If that stops being the case we'll see civil disorder.

Murr

I wonder if all these measures are really worth it in the long run. I talked with my parents about the hong kong flu that spread across the world in '68. Back then 40000 (4 times what italy has now) people in germany died and around 1 to 2 million world wide. Nobody crashed the economy into the ground because of that. People got ill and some died, just like it happens every year with the regular flu. Maybe heartless to say it that way i guess.
In the age of the internet and worldwide communication, politicians can't really ignore something like the Corona Virus anymore. Still, the consquences of these measuress frighten me just as much as the virus i have to say.
Of course, i wouldn't want my parents to die from this disease, so it is difficult to really disagree too much with all of this. :goog_cautious:

I also think these Anti-Chinese sentiments are really distasteful. If new contagious virus strains emerge, than it will mostly happen in China or India, because that is like half the worlds population right there. I think it is kinda sad that the US uses this disaster as ammo in their power struggle with China. Not that it surprises me mind you.

As long as food and essential supplies are getting to people there won't be a problem. If that stops being the case we'll see civil disorder.

I dont think its about food and supplies, but if you’re forced to stay home for a few months, its not gonna go well for a lot of people and unfortunately the US has a huge issue with mental health and substance abuse, this will all take a huge toll in the next couple of weeks and will increase tension.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I also think these Anti-Chinese sentiments are really distasteful. If new contagious virus strains emerge, than it will mostly happen in China or India, because that is like half the worlds population right there. I think it is kinda sad that the US uses this disaster as ammo in their power struggle with China. Not that it surprises me mind you.
Totally agree with the bolded. Some people have been chomping at the bit to harangue China and the Chinese about anything and everything. It has been simmering for years and this has just given them an excuse to go full blown dumbfuck bigot and racist. It’s disgraceful. You might not like their government, but their people are human beings for fuck’s sake. Just like you. Some of the shit I have seen written is just horrible.

I’d bet my left nut that if this thing had originated in the U.S.A. or the U.K. these same people wouldn’t be spewing the same hatred.

I can’t stand American government and foreign policy, but I don’t hate the average American citizen for it or blame them. I don’t spout racist shit about them either.

Some people need to take a long and hard look at themselves.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned

The anti-chinese sentiment is aimed at their government. When it broke out they should of shutdown the borders, prevent any planes from coming in or out of the country and contain it

It isn't aimed at the Chinese people at all

betrayal

Banned
I wonder if all these measures are really worth it in the long run. I talked with my parents about the hong kong flu that spread across the world in '68. Back then 40000 (4 times what italy has now) people in germany died and around 1 to 2 million world wide. Nobody crashed the economy into the ground because of that. People got ill and some died, just like it happens every year with the regular flu. Maybe heartless to say it that way i guess.
In the age of the internet and worldwide communication, politicians can't really ignore something like the Corona Virus anymore. Still, the consquences of these measuress frighten me just as much as the virus i have to say.
Of course, i wouldn't want my parents to die from this disease, so it is difficult to really disagree too much with all of this. :goog_cautious:

These two pandemics can only be compared to a limited extent. In 1968 there were not even half as many people on the planet as there are now, and globalisation was de facto virtually non-existent and primarily limited to the movement of goods. What measures are now being taken against the spread of the virus was in part normal everyday life at the time, for example closed borders or border controls. At that time, the world consisted much more of very separate areas, both globally and locally.
Also R0 was, according to current knowledge, lower than that of the coronavirus, i.e. the coronavirus spreads faster and is in this sense more infectious. The approximate death rate of 0.5% was at best equal to or even lower than that of the coronavirus. The final value for the coronavirus will certainly not be known for several months.

So globalisation and the emergence of densely populated and highly mobile conurbations are two of the key factors that make the current pandemic difficult to compare with other much earlier ones. At least that is true in terms of the measures to be taken to contain the spread of the pandemic.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
The anti-chinese sentiment is aimed at their government. When it broke out they should of shutdown the borders, prevent any planes from coming in or out of the country and contain it

It isn't aimed at the Chinese people at all
This. People conflating the two need to get a grip.
So all the “have you seen what these fuckers eat?!” posts are aimed at their government?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

Malakhov

Banned
So all the “have you seen what these fuckers eat?!” posts are aimed at their government?
There's always idiots, but the majority of people are furious at China's government.

Of course if you pay attention to the idiots on Facebook, the racists are more easily spotted than the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom