• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xbox Games with Gold should be announced today or tomorrow. If Xbox have any sense, they'll make the games really hot so people are excited to stay indoors. That should sort this shit out.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Well actually it kinda does. You could trawl the internet and find Trump supporters saying something racist and use that to make the point that Trump supporters are racist. That would, however, be intellectually dishonest. You could similarly trawl the internet to find a British person who hates tea and use that to make the point that the British are going off tea. That would be similarly intellectually dishonest. The point here is that in neither case is it statistically significant - it's anecdotal bollocks and anyone adhering to the scientific method should disregard such. If the vast majority of people just think the Chinese government are a bunch of cunts but you can find a small number of people from trawling twitter or whatever, that doesn't mean that people bagging on China are racist, it means that you successfully found a small number of quotes to match a narrative, which is precisely the kind of bullshit the media has been pulling, and which I expect Gaf members to be above.
Some people are being racist and racism exists. None of your examples are relevant or dispute this. I’m really starting to wonder why some of you are playing defence force so hard here.

It’s a curio.

betrayal

Banned
The thing is, and this was known before, that a Pandemic can only happen if the disease has certain properties.
Ebola for example just doesn't spread fast enough to cause a pandemic. Most diseases actually just require regional action.

But there is always the chance that one will come along that has the right properties to spread across the globe.
The game plan here is to communicate internationally and share information early.

The second China shut down they should have shared their reasoning. The scientific information about the virus at the point already warranted extreme measures.

The other thing is that not everything in a Pandemic is up to immediate action. Many things depend on preparation.
There needs to be proper infrastructure in every country to quickly ramp up testing if necessary.(Labs) There needs to be a plan for quickly increasing medical resources. And for fucks sake, every country should be able to produce its own damn masks.
We have all this technology and wealth and at the end of the day people die because we don't manage the give them enough pieces of cloth? Thats ridiculous.

I totally agree. I was only referring to the comparison with staying at home and closing the borders, and that you don't always close the borders when there are outbreaks of a disease.
With most pathogens it is usually enough to stay at home, but closing the borders is a means that is avoided if possible.
I personally do not believe that the US or many countries in the EU would have closed the borders in the same case. This is, and I am sure we can say this without hesitation, an unprecedented crisis from which we can hopefully learn a great deal.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Some people are being racist and racism exists. None of your examples are relevant or dispute this. I’m really starting to wonder why some of you are playing defence force so hard here.

It’s a curio.

Not playing defence force - just battling against intellectual dishonesty. You seem to have sidestepped the issue somewhat. Nobody is saying that no racism exists, because that is a condition that doesn't exist anywhere, and is something of a straw man. What I personally am saying is that the numbers are tiny, and there is no value in playing the game the media plays of looking for a person with the right quote to match the narrative they seek. It's up to you if that's your bag I guess, but personally I'm disappointed that you're banging that drum.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Not playing defence force - just battling against intellectual dishonesty. You seem to have sidestepped the issue somewhat. Nobody is saying that no racism exists, because that is a condition that doesn't exist anywhere, and is something of a straw man. What I personally am saying is that the numbers are tiny, and there is no value in playing the game the media plays of looking for a person with the right quote to match the narrative they seek. It's up to you if that's your bag I guess, but personally I'm disappointed that you're banging that drum.
You can’t handwave me away with this nonsense, sorry.

YOU stated “get a grip” to people like me pointing out that some people are saying horrible, dumb and racist things.

Nothing I said is false or incorrect.

I am not the one that needs to get a grip on reality, mate.

That’s it. Pure and simple.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

YOU stated “get a grip” to people like me pointing out that some people are saying horrible, dumb and racist things.

*sigh* this is getting very boring now. I have at no point said that it is incorrect that some people are saying things. You however are persistently handwaving the point about searching for something to fit a narrative. You keep dodging the issue and not bothering to address any of what I write so I have to ask whether there's even a point in having this discussion. You've clearly decided the narrative, found the 'evidence' to fit that narrative, a tiny sprinkling of matches in the ocean of content, and have decided that that is what we should focus on. Now to be clear, I don't want people to be racist against Asians - I pointed out before that one of my former students who is Thai had experienced some of that since Wuhan Flu - and if you're trying to paint me as someone defending that kind of behaviour then honestly you can GTFO. My point, the point which is flying over your head repeatedly, is that searching for content to fit a narrative is behaving like CNN, the BBC and all the other retarded cunts who post "x causes social media uproar" and find 3 tweets from people offended by X.

betrayal

Banned
Here some positive news from all over the world:

In Germany the curve is slowly flattening out in many areas. The area where I live has reported zero new cases for the first time today. In the last few days, there have been between 10 and 20. Even the most affected states (Bavaria and NRW) are recording slower increases.
Germany also has enough ICU capacity and is flying in severely ill COVID-19 patients (currently ~100 people, more are planned) from Italy and France to treat them in the country.

The UK reports a decrease in hospital admissions and therefore this could be the first effects of the lockdown. Also Prince Charles is released from quarantine and had only mild symptoms.

Spain has not seen any increases in numbers of daily new cases for 3-4 days and so hopes are rising that they too will soon reach peak. Also the number of deaths has decreased slightly today (but this does not mean much).

Switzerland and Austria, two European countries that took measures early on, also seem to have reached the peak. The fact that Austria will introduce compulsory masks for getting food etc. as of Wednesday will only help further. I think the mask requirement will come in many countries.

Otherwise, there are some countries, such as Australia, Malysia, Norway, Denmark, etc., where there is at least no more daily growth (no growth factor). These are all positive signs, too.

China and South Korea also remain stable in terms of numbers.I know nobody trusts China, but everyday things are slowly getting back on track there. South Korea has also been stable for weeks and is now receiving a smaller proportion of new cases from people returning to the country.

Teslerum

You can't be serious....

Yes you are intellectualy dishonest. Hilariously so, even. I just have to go the beginning of this exchange as well

So all the “have you seen what these fuckers eat?!” posts are aimed at their government?

Wow, what a hero you are. Except while paraphrasing different sentences you leave out the context here as well. Why did people say such things?

Unstanitary Wet markets.

And Wet Markets are a problem. And I don't blame chinese people. I blame the goverment for not putting a stop to them and forcing the chinese people into them with their policies. That's what peoples problem was with it. And there were PLENTY of people that tackled the issue and didn't blame the chinese people in any racist way. And yes, plenty of em DID BLAME THE GOVERMENT.

Which is why I only see one person generalizing, judging and being racist here.

Call people out if they're doing racist shit. but for fucks sake don't try to twist reality to suit your worldview.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
*sigh* this is getting very boring now. I have at no point said that it is incorrect that some people are saying things. You however are persistently handwaving the point about searching for something to fit a narrative. You keep dodging the issue and not bothering to address any of what I write so I have to ask whether there's even a point in having this discussion. You've clearly decided the narrative, found the 'evidence' to fit that narrative, a tiny sprinkling of matches in the ocean of content, and have decided that that is what we should focus on. Now to be clear, I don't want people to be racist against Asians - I pointed out before that one of my former students who is Thai had experienced some of that since Wuhan Flu - and if you're trying to paint me as someone defending that kind of behaviour then honestly you can GTFO. My point, the point which is flying over your head repeatedly, is that searching for content to fit a narrative is behaving like CNN, the BBC and all the other retarded cunts who post "x causes social media uproar" and find 3 tweets from people offended by X.
What narrative do I have making the simple statement that I am disgusted by some of the bigoted and racist comments I have seen towards Chinese people?

Where’s the fucking narrative?

You waffle on with all these accusations and tinfoil theories about a simple factual statement.

You’ve fucking lost me. Seriously.

It’s strange behaviour.

Malakhov

Banned
I keep hearing China is getting back on track but I can't seem to get any replies from sellers and resellers for orders I have from there for multiple type of merchandise. It's pretty weird

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
Man this thread has gone down the shitter the past few days. This used to be my hot spot for news but looks like I need to find another place. Any suggestions?

Just check https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Click and select specific countries to see if they peaked, decline or are still rising in numbers. Simple facts and figures. No emotional bullshit stories that skew the objective situation.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
What narrative do I have making the simple statement that I am disgusted by some of the bigoted and racist comments I have seen towards Chinese people?

Where’s the fucking narrative?

You waffle on with all these accusations and tinfoil theories about a simple factual statement.

You’ve fucking lost me. Seriously.

It’s strange behaviour.

I'll leave you to cool down - I've clearly caught you on a bad day. You're literally making stuff up about me right now and I know that's not your normal style so we'll just agree to disagree.

Malakhov

Banned
I think it's time for everyone to calm down and get back on track.

Let's just point out any of these racist posts if we see them here (which I haven't) and that's it

But I think we all agreed we blame China's government and not the people. That's it

This is, and I am sure we can say this without hesitation, an unprecedented crisis from which we can hopefully learn a great deal.

True. But what's frustrating me is that this crisis was foreseen and all the problems we are now facing were preventable.
In order to learn the right lessons, we need to look very hard and very critical at all the individual points where different entities and systems failed and why.

What I am seeing already is people ascribing blame completely one-sided according to their own preconceived notions of who is right and wrong and constructing their own truth. This sentiment will prevent us from learning the right lessons and taking the necessary steps to prepare for the future.

I have been on this issue since the first cases were recorded in Germany in January (the ones that still were contained and didn't spread) because we handled the remote medical service for the affected company.
Seeing the facts and narratives and public perception evolve since then was weird and concerning to watch.
It took way too long until people took it seriously. Like, people always talk about how humans don't think in exponentials, and even though we knew that about us, we remained largely inactive until the slow phase of the exponential growth was over and shit already started hitting the fan.
Knowing the right path and not walking it is unacceptable. And this is not the only global crisis where we are behaving like that.

Tesseract

Banned
It is possible to be pretty pissed off against China without being racist.
2eb785d3d74591de22835da3a577d7bcee20cca2_hq.gif

India facing hardships under lockdown.

This is not going to go well.

It is possible to be pretty pissed off against China without being racist.
China already trying to use this crisis for its political gain makes me incredibly furious.
That's not the fault of the Chinese people, but just the nature of the communist party there.
But ending this autocratic regime is probably not something the Chinese people can achieve on their own. Just look at Hong Honk and how hard of a time they have to stand up to China, with barely any western support because everyone is economically dependent on China and doesn't dare to offend them.

But just like that, I am outraged by populist governments all over the planet completely fucking this up and exposing their incompetence in an extremely tragic way, while trying to avoid accountability by lying and scapegoating.

But I hope that everyone individually, no matter which country, will come out of this crisis with a renewed appreciation for the people working in healthcare, supermarkets and other essential fields that keep our societies running at the core and with a renewed trust in experts and scientists.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
German numbers are always underreported because of the weekend and peak on Friday.
Here some positive news from all over the world:

In Germany the curve is slowly flattening out in many areas. The area where I live has reported zero new cases for the first time today. In the last few days, there have been between 10 and 20. Even the most affected states (Bavaria and NRW) are recording slower increases.
Germany also has enough ICU capacity and is flying in severely ill COVID-19 patients (currently ~100 people, more are planned) from Italy and France to treat them in the country.

The UK reports a decrease in hospital admissions and therefore this could be the first effects of the lockdown. Also Prince Charles is released from quarantine and had only mild symptoms.

Spain has not seen any increases in numbers of daily new cases for 3-4 days and so hopes are rising that they too will soon reach peak. Also the number of deaths has decreased slightly today (but this does not mean much).

Switzerland and Austria, two European countries that took measures early on, also seem to have reached the peak. The fact that Austria will introduce compulsory masks for getting food etc. as of Wednesday will only help further. I think the mask requirement will come in many countries.

Otherwise, there are some countries, such as Australia, Malysia, Norway, Denmark, etc., where there is at least no more daily growth (no growth factor). These are all positive signs, too.

China and South Korea also remain stable in terms of numbers.I know nobody trusts China, but everyday things are slowly getting back on track there. South Korea has also been stable for weeks and is now receiving a smaller proportion of new cases from people returning to the country.

betrayal

Banned
German numbers are always underreported because of the weekend and peak on Friday.

That is true, but that does not change the trend. The underreporting also only applies to a few districts and not to the whole of Germany. The development was already quite clear from the middle of last week. If you can read german you can look this up here: https://www.zeit.de/wissen/gesundhe...infektionen-faelle-verbreitung-epidemie-karte
In the middle of the page there are statistics and graphs broken down by federal states.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Everything is starting to feel a little more optimistic today.

Maybe as the dust settles more, people are calming down and accepting the future, good or bad.

Calcium

Banned
Global pandemic and we have people whining about racism. Ignore the ignorant fucks and focus on what matters - keeping yourself and your loved ones safe. After the world stops burning you can tackle racism, but for now stop flooding the thread with these pointless arguments.

cryptoadam

Banned
Looks like the shutdown in Quebec is already paying off

2840 confirmed cases
Only 342 cases today

22 deaths
No deaths today and 29 recovered

192 hospitalised
28 new hospitalised today

72 in high intensive care
+15 today

I hope so, but beware Sundays. Watch out for the dead cat bounce today. I have a feeling we will be seeing 700 cases.

But I hope that we see another dip today. 10-14% increase from yesterday would be great and continue the decline.

Banned
Everything is starting to feel a little more optimistic today.

Maybe as the dust settles more, people are calming down and accepting the future, good or bad.

my local city reddit people are asking for jobs left and right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom