• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

pLow7

You put too much faith in people charge I think. They fuck up all the time. It’s just usually the stakes aren’t so high. They are manipulated by public sentiment. They need to balance the right action with perception. Politics play a role. This isn’t just science. I think we kind of agree about what is necessary. We just live in places that are doing different things. My Governor is in the top 5 worst in the country when it comes to dealing with this.

Yes and i think the "State" thing, is a huge strength and a huge problem in the US. Strength, because every state can decide what is best based on their own situation. Wyoming needing different actions than NJ or New York is clear and needs to be handled as such. But it's also a problem, because A. The people will eye on their neighbors and say "People in Texas are free to do what they want, why do i still have to stay home" or "People in New York still have a stay at home order, why is my state endangering people by letting them go outside".
It's also not helping, that you have a major election this year.

Every country is opening up. Germany spain italy UK Canada etc... they are doing it at different speeds but pretty much everywhere is planning to end their lock downs. Some places like Slovania have declared their pandemic over. Others like Nordic countries are talking about travel being allowed again.

I don't know, perhaps i'm not clear. I'm all for opening up, but only if the numbers indicate that you can. Germany and Italy are posting sub 1000 numbers daily in weeks. The US equivalent would be 5000 numbers daily. Now as i've said earlier, it differs from state to state so making a discussion based on the whole US is pointless i guess.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
At what point are tourist hotels held responsible? There’s plenty of blame to go around. They’re baiting people to break the law by saying hey come spend thousands of dollars only to be confined. If they truly cared, they wouldn’t offer refunds. They would mandate and force refunds.

I don‘t know and don’t care. Ultimately this guy and everyone else is responsible for what they do. They took that risk when they signed the paper. The hotel isn’t baiting anyone, people can make their own choices.

cryptoadam

Banned
Yes and i think the "State" thing, is a huge strength and a huge problem in the US. Strength, because every state can decide what is best based on their own situation. Wyoming needing different actions than NJ or New York is clear and needs to be handled as such. But it's also a problem, because A. The people will eye on their neighbors and say "People in Texas are free to do what they want, why do i still have to stay home" or "People in New York still have a stay at home order, why is my state endangering people by letting them go outside".
It's also not helping, that you have a major election this year.

I don't know, perhaps i'm not clear. I'm all for opening up, but only if the numbers indicate that you can. Germany and Italy are posting sub 1000 numbers daily in weeks. The US equivalent would be 5000 numbers daily. Now as i've said earlier, it differs from state to state so making a discussion based on the whole US is pointless i guess.

I agree each state is different so its not a one size fits all solution. What works in South Dakota isnt the same for Michigan.

But if your a leader and you arent coming up with a plan to get things going you are failling right now. Even the WHO said a few days ago the virus is probably here forever and we have to learn to live with it.

I don‘t know and don’t care. Ultimately this guy and everyone else is responsible for what they do. They took that risk when they signed the paper. The hotel isn’t baiting anyone, people can make their own choices.
Yeah. A fool and his money are soon parted. If someone is too stupid to get a refund, that’s on them at that point.

Tell_men

Cheap airfare and cheap hotel rooms. It’s bait. Like a hair salon, Hawaii could close the hotels and bar nonessential flights if they didn’t want them there. No, they’re afraid to do so because tourism is their life blood.

Siri

Banned
Went to Costco for the first time in weeks and they were completely out of steaks and hadn't had any in for over a week according to one of the staff. They also had a limit on how many meat items any customer could purchase due to supply problems.

Not a good sign.

That's impossible without some kind of authoritarian all powerful world government.

That guy from Peak Prosperity has been warning of a food supply shortage for a month now - not just meat, but food. He always ends his videos by saying he wants us to plant a garden.

There’s something extremely alarming about this this post of yours. You’re the first person who’s reporting a meat shortage. I’ll bet this has never happened at that store before.

Chittagong

Gold Member
8b20e430-5324-402c-9c53-dd2d4ba84fc6.png

Finally got a day back in the 100s. Albeit Sunday, it has been very long since we were last here.

Last edited:
lol, only took 259 pages for the biggest shitpost to turn up, not bad...

Don't tell me, you must a SCIENTIST, right?
It is simple logic. Virus cannot survive without a new host to infect. If everyone is locked up, it would extremely limit the way the virus can spread as it is either host beat the virus or die. And if the essential worker have it, it would be a lot easier to tract and test given a majority of the people are under lockdown.

It is simple logic. Virus cannot survive without a new host to infect. If everyone is locked up, it would extremely limit the way the virus can spread as it is either host beat the virus or die. And if the essential worker have it, it would be a lot easier to tract and test given a majority of the people are under lockdown.

Yeah, sorry man, I didn't mean to act like that, of course lockdown flattens the curve, I live in Slovakia, the Queen of Lockdown (28 deaths total as of today).

But I still disagree :messenger_squinting_tongue: I'm a "herder" lol

The only reason Slovakia managed to do it was through the conformity of the citizens over here, but if my Slovak wife hears me say that, I'll get an earful.

Over here, it's law to make sure your clothing and bag has a glow in the dark feature, so people strap these luminous neon green and yellow things to their bags. When I saw that, I just shook my head.

It's a post-communist country, so conformity is still seen as a virtue. Whatever anyway, peace.

Last edited:

Joe T.

That isn't journalism, that's politically-motivated activism. The media's been pressuring Legault to make masks mandatory for well over a week now and he's been making it clear he wants to avoid going that route. He doesn't think it would stand in court and he trusts the people to do the right thing with the information we have.

Democracy's under attack and most don't see it because they're scared senseless. A lot of elected officials are abusing the power this virus gave them, wielding it very broadly and in some cases taking advice from some highly questionable public health directors. Legault wasn't and they've been burying him for it while Trudeau and mayor Plante skate by with smirks on their faces.

That Guardian story, for example, tries to put Trudeau's chief public health officer Theresa Tam in a good light while talking about conflicting messaging about masks, completely ignoring the fact that she flip flopped on them. There are reasons why they'd leave that out while coming down on Quebec/Legault and it's not because they're stupid. They do, however, treat their readers like idiots.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Activist (advocacy) journalism is, unfortunately, just about the only form of journalism left these days.

I mean logically if we just kill and incinerate anyone who's positive before they have a chance to pass on the virus, we should be able to eliminate the virus in about 2 weeks. Contact tracing for those that test positive followed by extermination. If we're just going use cold hard logic, its the only way to be sure.

Chaplain

"Sky News host Sharri Markson says it has become increasingly clear Chinese President Xi Jinping is “exploiting the coronavirus outbreak to assert China’s dominance” with the rest of the world “on its knees” dealing with dual crises. Ms Markson highlighted China’s actions since it “lied and covered-up” the news of the emerging coronavirus in December. “They quietly scooped up medical supplies and protective equipment likes masks from around the world, while denying the coronavirus was infectious”. She pointed to the rogue nation’s “increasingly aggressive” behaviour in the South China Sea which saw a Vietnamese fishing vessel sunk by a Chinese ship. China is now “intentionally hurting Australia's economy via tariffs and trading suspensions” at a time when the Australian economy is already suffering in “large part because of their COVID-19 cover-up”. “China has also now admitted to destroying virus samples”." (5/17/20)

Nester99

So I just came back from the supermarket and what do I see?

-A woman in the Soda aisle starts coughing everywhere.
-Literally blurts out loud "I'm very sick"
-She touches my cart

This is why the virus is never going away. What was the point waiting in line for 10 minutes to get in the store just for them to let sick people inside anyway?

Oh yeah, and there are people who bring masks with them.... just to not wear it. Saw a guy talk to one of the store associates directly to her face with the mask hanging off his chin. :messenger_confused:

why are you in reach of a coughing lady in the supermarket? What happened to your 6 feet!

Masks are not going to do shit. No one is wearing them at all here (bc) and are not required.

JordanN

Banned
why are you in reach of a coughing lady in the supermarket? What happened to your 6 feet!

Masks are not going to do shit. No one is wearing them at all here (bc) and are not required.
Because she was walking up and down the aisle and touching the products that I wanted?

That's something a lot of people don't take into account. It's not just social distancing, if you're not constantly washing your hands, you're still going to infect every other surface you touch.

Funny enough, the store I went to does have free hand sanitizer, but it's only when you enter or leave the store entrance. But if someone is going from aisle to aisle coughing and sneezing and they still touch stuff, then we don't actually have a way of sanitizing your items.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Go type into Google: How long is a hawaii vacation. The answer: usually 5 days, but they recommend 10.

Hawaii has been on lockdown since March 25th, and yet they are still taking tourists for their money. People do not go on vacation to be locked up in a hotel room... especially Hawaii. It wasn’t until this happened that Hawaii finally said tourists shouldn’t come here. You don’t take people’s money and then tell them to stay inside during your vacation. If Hawaii was truly concerned about this, they should have canceled all flights and refunded tourists their money. No, instead they’re double dipping with these fines. Money for the hotels. More money for the state.

"Hawaii" does not collect your money.

Cheap airfare and cheap hotel rooms. It’s bait. Like a hair salon, Hawaii could close the hotels and bar nonessential flights if they didn’t want them there. No, they’re afraid to do so because tourism is their life blood.

People fly and stay in hotels for reasons other than tourism.

Tell_men

"Hawaii" does not collect your money.

People fly and stay in hotels for reasons other than tourism.

Is “Hawaii” not the one fining him? Does he not pay taxes upon staying there? It was a tourist wanting to go out. But ok, lets go down other paths. Was he there for a conference? If so, shouldn’t that conference be shut down? If he was seeing family there, where are they in this story? Why not stay with them? If its work related, would they not be teleconferencing? Get that shit out of my court. Dr Guru, stay in your lane, or Peru, “bro”.

Last edited:
So the people screaming at the peasants to wear masks don't wear masks when the cameras aren't rolling:

It's all a political show. Wake up.

Well they know better than the common citizen.

They are smart. Not like the plebs at home.

Clearly.

Do you see how many followers they have on social media? They totally know better than you or me.

This is whataboutism and you should stop spreading misinformation.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Interesting from Worldometers

When analyzing the breakdown of deaths by age and condition [source], we can observe how, out of 15,230 confirmed deaths in New York City up to May 12, only 690 (4.5% of all deaths) occurred in patients under the age of 65 who did not have an underlying medical condition (or for which it is unknown whether they had or did not have an underlying condition).

Underlying illnesses include Diabetes, Lung Disease, Cancer, Immunodeficiency, Heart Disease, Hypertension, Asthma, Kidney Disease, GI/Liver Disease, and Obesity [source]

Under 65-year-old (0.09% CMR to date)
85.9% of the population (7,214,525 people out of 8,398,748) in New York City is under 65 years old according to the US Census Bureau, which indicates the percent of persons 65 years old and over in New York City as being 14.1% [source].

We don't know what percentage of the population in this age group has an underlying condition, so at this time we are not able to accurately estimate the fatality rate for the under 65 years old and healthy.

But we can calculate it for the entire population under 65 years old (both healthy and unhealthy): with 6,188 deaths (26% of the total deaths in all age groups) occurring in this age group, of which 5,498 deaths (89%) in patients with a known underlying condition, the crude mortality rate to date will correspond to 6,188 / 7,214,525 = 0.09% CMR, or 86 deaths per 100,000 population (compared to 0.28% and 279 deaths per 100,000 for the general population).

So far there has been 1 death every 1,166 people under 65 years old (compared to 1 death every 358 people in the general population)
. And 89% of the times, the person who died had one or more underlying medical conditions.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Is “Hawaii” not the one fining him? Does he not pay taxes upon staying there? It was a tourist wanting to go out. But ok, lets go down other paths. Was he there for a conference? If so, shouldn’t that conference be shut down? If he was seeing family there, where are they in this story? Why not stay with them? If its work related, would they not be teleconferencing? Get that shit out of my court. Dr Guru, stay in your lane, or Peru, “bro”.
Not sure why you're getting so heated. I never called you a "bro". What exactly is your "lane" here anyway?

The government of Hawaii isn't charging him for his stay, and they can't refund him. It's up to him if he wanted to go to Hawaii and give businesses his money. He knew he would have to quarantine for 14 days. He signed up for it. If someone wants to go sit in a hotel and take in the ocean view for 14 days, they're free to do that. The hotels will gladly take their money.

Hotels cater to intra island travellers and locals too. Asking they be shut down completely to take the culpability off of idiots who willingly break the law is a really odd thing to suggest.

Last edited:

Tell_men

Not sure why you're getting so heated. I never called you a "bro". What exactly is your "lane" here anyway?

The government of Hawaii isn't charging him for his stay, and they can't refund him. It's up to him if he wanted to go to Hawaii and give businesses his money. He knew he would have to quarantine for 14 days. He signed up for it. If someone wants to go sit in a hotel and take in the ocean view for 14 days, they're free to do that. The hotels will gladly take their money.

Hotels cater to intra island travellers and locals too. Asking they be shut down completely to take the culpability off of idiots who willingly break the law is a really odd thing to suggest.

Be on the side of the people, and not those that threaten your freedoms with punishment when they allow others with power to escape the very same punishment:

Example, Chris Godley, the director of Emergency Management and leader of Sonoma County’s Emergency Operation Center who, along with the public health officer, locked down the beaches, and yet, there he was on the beach.

Example: Elon Musk, Tesla CEO, who was allowed to reopen Tesla when told to SIP, while other small business owners are arrested, fined, and cited.

There are other examples, but those are two notable ones.

It’s all arbitrary who gets punished and who doesn’t. I’m actually pro lockdown and wear the mask, but we should not be punishing ordinary Americans looking to work and for some semblance of normal life.

Be on the side of the common folk, because me, you— we are them. Be on the side of the common folk and you can be my bro.

Last edited:
Be on the side of the people, and not those that threaten your freedoms with punishment when they allow others with power to escape the very same punishment:

Example, Chris Godley, the director of Emergency Management and leader of Sonoma County’s Emergency Operation Center who, along with the public health officer, locked down the beaches, and yet, there he was on the beach.

Example: Elon Musk, Tesla CEO, who was allowed to reopen Tesla when told to SIP, while other small business owners are arrested, fined, and cited.

It’s all arbitrary who gets punished and who doesn’t. I’m actually pro lockdown and wear the mask, but we should not be punishing ordinary Americans looking to work and for some semblance of normal life.

Be on the side of the common folk, because me, you— we are them. Be on the side of the common folk and you can be my bro.
I understand what you’re saying. I’m sympathetic to it. But this is a pick your battles kind of thing because their are a million ways regular people are being shit on right now.

This guy was just dumb. He knew what he was getting into and went anyway. You can say they baited him but they baited him right to his face then. It’s not like anything was hidden.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

Vacationing on public beaches in Hawaii after signing a document agreeing to self quarantine isn't the same as going back to work. Not sure what those California stories have to do with Hawaii's situation. Different laws for different states.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Go type into Google: How long is a hawaii vacation. The answer: usually 5 days, but they recommend 10.

Hawaii has been on lockdown since March 25th, and yet they are still taking tourists for their money. People do not go on vacation to be locked up in a hotel room... especially Hawaii. It wasn’t until this happened that Hawaii finally said tourists shouldn’t come here. You don’t take people’s money and then tell them to stay inside during your vacation. If Hawaii was truly concerned about this, they should have canceled all flights and refunded tourists their money. No, instead they’re double dipping with these fines. Money for the hotels. More money for the state.
I don't think any state has constitutional jurisdiction to ban people from other states completely.

Tell_men

Vacationing on public beaches in Hawaii after signing a document agreeing to self quarantine isn't the same as going back to work. Not sure what those California stories have to do with Hawaii's situation. Different laws for different states.

Chris Cuomo breaking quarantine rules on Easter Sunday. Infected his wife. Went to another town. No consequences. Might have something to do with his brother being govenor. Hmmm....

Meanwhile, the NYPD arrest ordinary citizens for breaking social distancing rules. Most are black.

Would you like me to continue? If you really want me to, I can find stories where these laws let those in power off the hook while penalizing the common folk in other states. Cuomo just popped to mind.

Majukun

So the people screaming at the peasants to wear masks don't wear masks when the cameras aren't rolling:

It's all a political show. Wake up.

not sure what you are arguing here.
she didn't follow her own advice so her advice is somehow not a good one anymore?

that's not how advices work

Last edited:

ManaByte

not sure what you are arguing here.
she didn't follow her own advice so her advice is somehow not a good one anymore?

that's not how advices work

If it’s so important for everyone to wear a mask all the time, then why does she remove hers as soon as the CNN cameras turn off?

Majukun

If it’s so important for everyone to wear a mask all the time, then why does she remove hers as soon as the CNN cameras turn off?
because she is an idiot that doesn't follow her own advices apparently.

it's not her which decides if the masks are worth it or not, but the scientific commmunity, and they pretty much all agree that indeed it does.

ManaByte

because she is an idiot that doesn't follow her own advices apparently.

it's not her which decides if the masks are worth it or not, but the scientific commmunity, and they pretty much all agree that indeed it does.

But she’s not the only one. The press in the Rose Garden did the same thing. As soon as the cameras turned off they took off their masks and stopped social distancing to talk to each other.

Majukun

But she’s not the only one. The press in the Rose Garden did the same thing. As soon as the cameras turned off they took off their masks and stopped social distancing to talk to each other.

and again, that makes them all morons or hypocritical, but the directive to social distancing and wearing mask didn't come from them but from the scientific community that has little interest for politics, let alone in the US ones specifically (since social distancing and wearing masks is done all around the world now).

ManaByte

and again, that makes them all morons or hypocritical, but the directive to social distancing and wearing mask didn't come from them but from the scientific community that has little interest for politics, let alone in the US ones specifically (since social distancing and wearing masks is done all around the world now).

Yes and the peasants are being beat to the ground and handcuffed if they’re not complying with the edicts these people preach 24/7 from their ivory towers with their million dollar salaries. So it’s rules for thee, but not for me as usual.

Again it’s all for show as if it was as important as these people preach constantly, they’d be complying when the cameras are off.

Hell that Ferguson dumbass who is responsible for the lockdowns was caught going out and violating the lockdown he advocated to fuck.

Tell_men

Unlike churches, they all get tested and a temp check at these White House meetings before they are allowed to join. So, wearing the mask during the meeting is pure symbolism. Heckling the President about not wearing one is just rotten politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom