• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryptoadam

Banned
So just over 1K death over the weekend for the US, under 400 yesterday. Case volume is still steady but deaths took a huge drop. But lets see if reporting is down just because of the protests.

And Canada CV is also dropping like a fly, less than 500 cases and 11 deaths yesterday.

What is going on?

So just over 1K death over the weekend for the US, under 400 yesterday. Case volume is still steady but deaths took a huge drop. But lets see if reporting is down just because of the protests.

And Canada CV is also dropping like a fly, less than 500 cases and 11 deaths yesterday.

What is going on?

Has there been another change in reporting procedures? We could be seeing the Summer down tick in cases?

What is going on?

People have to forget it was ever even considered a threat, because in the next two weeks before anyone with >80 IQ will be saying, "Wait, shouldn't people be dying in the streets from this spreading from the riots? WTF were we locked down!"

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Has there been another change in reporting procedures? We could be seeing the Summer down tick in cases?

I can't say in the US. Weekends are always low and the last few weekends its dipped into the 700's and even 600's. But 373 is the lowest in months. I expect a bounce back but the numbers are really dropping and before GF this would of been huge news with champagne popping.

Where I live in Canada things are normal we aren't going bonkers over this protesting stuff. There are a few but nothing crazy. Quebec has actually dropped below Ontario.

But we did have an entire school class catch the virus a few days ago so its not like its finished.

lock2k

Banned
I'm legit pissed off the last few weeks.

No one respects the quarantine anymore here. People are gathering, travelling and doing all kinds of stuff and I've been stuck home for months and I have followed everything for nothing. This pandemic is making me hate people more than I ever did in my whole life. It seems like no one gives a fuck anymore. And I'm still here... working my ass off at home, having a hard time... I don't know what to think anymore. Damn.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister

What is going on?
I'm pretty sure that herd immunity was more like 20% (which recent findings showing genetic immunity) which would explain the drastic downfall of numbers of deaths in QC and NY.

I'm legit pissed off the last few weeks.

No one respects the quarantine anymore here. People are gathering, travelling and doing all kinds of stuff and I've been stuck home for months and I have followed everything for nothing. This pandemic is making me hate people more than I ever did in my whole life. It seems like no one gives a fuck anymore. And I'm still here... working my ass off at home, having a hard time... I don't know what to think anymore. Damn.

I cant find the meme but I saw one the other day that said "We've reached the point where the official COVID response has boiled down to 'fuck it'"

cryptoadam

Banned
I'm pretty sure that herd immunity was more like 20% (which recent findings showing genetic immunity) which would explain the drastic downfall of numbers of deaths in QC and NY.

I agree. I saw a few weeks ago that they were saying it could be as low as 10-40%.

Ya I think we might be getting to herd immunity.

The virus itself is pretty weak actually when you think about it. Most people don't even they know they got it and 99.9% recover unless you are super old with underlying conditions. Add in that only 30% spread it and it could just be that we reached immunity.

Chittagong

Gold Member
29362172-8398671-image-a-18_1591638263681.jpg

UK down to 55 deaths in all settings including hospitals, care homes and communities. No fatalities in Scotland or Northern Ireland in the last two days.

cryptoadam

Banned
Are you complaining that you didn't even die?

I am under 50, and a normal BMI and a smoker so I have nothing to worry about bruh.

But if asymptomatic spread is rare, and the death rate .26% why did we quarantine healthy people?

Or the WHO are wrong once again with their new talking point?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
The WHO is just one organisation, but you should try reading past the headlines to see what was actually said. They stated that the most people that were "asymptomatic" just had very mild symptoms. In many ways would mean the same thing- people were transmitting it while not knowing they were sick.

I am under 50, and a normal BMI and a smoker so I have nothing to worry about bruh.

But if asymptomatic spread is rare, and the death rate .26% why did we quarantine healthy people?

Because we were operating on info as it came in.

yeehaw

Banned
Wow we destroyed the world over this.

Sensationalist media killed the world. TDS killed the world.
This is an abomination. President Trump needs to declare all future presidential elections cancelled for a long, long time. The Democrats took 4 years from his presidency with fake news and fake viruses, so he must be president until he says otherwise.

cryptoadam

Banned
The WHO is just one organisation, but you should try reading past the headlines to see what was actually said. They stated that the most people that were "asymptomatic" just had very mild symptoms. In many ways would mean the same thing- people were transmitting it while not knowing they were sick.

um and you claim to be a doctor?

Coronavirus patients without symptoms aren’t driving the spread of the virus, World Health Organization officials said Monday, casting doubt on concerns by some researchers that the disease could be difficult to contain due to asymptomatic infections.

Some people, particularly young and otherwise healthy individuals, who are infected by the coronavirus never develop symptoms or only develop mild symptoms. Others might not develop symptoms until days after they were actually infected.

Preliminary evidence from the earliest outbreaks indicated that the virus could spread from person-to-person contact, even if the carrier didn’t have symptoms. But WHO officials now say that while asymptomatic spread can occur, it is not the main way it’s being transmitted.

“From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual,”
Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said at a news briefing from the United Nations agency’s Geneva headquarters. “It’s very rare.”

Government responses should focus on detecting and isolating infected people with symptoms, and tracking anyone who might have come into contact with them, Van Kerkhove said. She acknowledged that some studies have indicated asymptomatic or presymptomatic spread in nursing homes and in household settings.

More research and data are needed to “truly answer” the question of whether the coronavirus can spread widely through asymptomatic carriers, Van Kerkhove added.

“We have a number of reports from countries who are doing very detailed contact tracing,” she said. “They’re following asymptomatic cases. They’re following contacts. And they’re not finding secondary transmission onward. It’s very rare.”

They seem to be saying exactly that. Its rare that someone who is asympotmatic will spread the virus. More sudies whould be done as per usual, but its right there in the article itself. aspymptomatic spread can occur but its not the main way the virus is being transmitted. Rare an asymptomatic person transmits it to a seconadry individual.

They are saying the opposite of what you are saying. To their studies aysmpotmatic people do not transfer the virus.

thanosg

Banned

What is going on?
maybe herd immunity, hot humid weather, and being outdoor lessen the spread? be glad that it is happening.

the protesters are heroes and heroines so maybe karma is helping too

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
um and you claim to be a doctor?

Coronavirus patients without symptoms aren’t driving the spread of the virus, World Health Organization officials said Monday, casting doubt on concerns by some researchers that the disease could be difficult to contain due to asymptomatic infections.

Some people, particularly young and otherwise healthy individuals, who are infected by the coronavirus never develop symptoms or only develop mild symptoms. Others might not develop symptoms until days after they were actually infected.

Preliminary evidence from the earliest outbreaks indicated that the virus could spread from person-to-person contact, even if the carrier didn’t have symptoms. But WHO officials now say that while asymptomatic spread can occur, it is not the main way it’s being transmitted.

“From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual,”
Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said at a news briefing from the United Nations agency’s Geneva headquarters. “It’s very rare.”

Government responses should focus on detecting and isolating infected people with symptoms, and tracking anyone who might have come into contact with them, Van Kerkhove said. She acknowledged that some studies have indicated asymptomatic or presymptomatic spread in nursing homes and in household settings.

More research and data are needed to “truly answer” the question of whether the coronavirus can spread widely through asymptomatic carriers, Van Kerkhove added.

“We have a number of reports from countries who are doing very detailed contact tracing,” she said. “They’re following asymptomatic cases. They’re following contacts. And they’re not finding secondary transmission onward. It’s very rare.”

They seem to be saying exactly that. Its rare that someone who is asympotmatic will spread the virus. More sudies whould be done as per usual, but its right there in the article itself. aspymptomatic spread can occur but its not the main way the virus is being transmitted. Rare an asymptomatic person transmits it to a seconadry individual.

They are saying the opposite of what you are saying. To their studies aysmpotmatic people do not transfer the virus.

Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove was the person being quoted, and this is what she had to say:

f you actually go back and say how many of them are truly asymptomatic, we find out that many have really mild disease, very mild disease, they’re not quote unquote COVID symptoms, meaning they may not have developed fever yet

This is the document she encouraged people read. Have you read it?

Key points
-viral shedding is highest one day prior to symptom onset
-many people who are asymptomatic are actually presymptomatic or mildly symptomatic
-asymptomatic transmission does occur, but appears to not drive infection rate as much as symptomatic and presymptomatic transmission.
-

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove was the person being quoted, and this is what she had to say:

This is the document she encouraged people read. Have you read it?

Key points
-viral shedding is highest one day prior to symptom onset
-many people who are asymptomatic are actually presymptomatic or mildly symptomatic
-asymptomatic transmission does occur, but appears to not drive infection rate as much as symptomatic and presymptomatic transmission.
-

which isn't different then the article or the headline or what was said. Asymptomatic people rarely spread the virus, while sympotmatic and pre symptomacit people do.

Even the document linked says the same thing.

WHO left the door open for another study to come in and disprove these results but this is what is being reported in the article. Is their science wrong, could be they have changed their stance before so lets see.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I was responding to the question you were asking. The point being that a "healthy person" might be pre-symptomatic or even mildly symptomatic and be spreading the virus. It appears that you're most contagious the day before you develop symptoms. Hence the need to quarantine "healthy people".

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I was responding to the question you were asking. The point being that a "healthy person" might be pre-symptomatic or even mildly symptomatic and be spreading the virus. It appears that you're most contagious the day before you develop symptoms. Hence the need to quarantine "healthy people".

Ok I see what your saying.

But other studies came out recently that showed 80% of the virus comes from 20% that are superspreaders, and that 70% of those infected don't cause secondary infections.

And we know that their are vast amounts of asymptomatic people out there as well.

Seems that we should of followed Japan's strategy of avoiding large gatherings and close contacts, with tracing/isolation of the sick.

cryptoadam

Banned

This seems concerning?

Could be but we would need grainular detail.

Where is this happening? Was their an outbreak at a plant or old age home? Is this contained to one country or state wide?

They seemed to be falling back again so this could of been a small bump. They went from a quck up shoot of 1400 to now under 1K again. And it looks like its being driven in the Miami Dade area. Were their protests there ?

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
lol well apparently asymptomatic people don't spread it, according to WHO

🤷‍♀️

It makes sense as those who are symptomatic are the ones putting their germs all over the place.

If you share a drink with someone asymptomatic I imagine you would contract the virus

Also if I'm not mistake it sounds like it's those that remain completely asymptomatic, not those who are asymptomatic for some time and then develop symptoms

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It makes sense as those who are symptomatic are the ones putting their germs all over the place.

If you share a drink with someone asymptomatic I imagine you would contract the virus
Okay but what does the evidence say, and why were we told months ago that asymptomatic people were still spreading it around?

That was a core of why we locked down and why everyone had to wear masks and go on furlough and social distance.... because even asymptomatic carriers.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I need a mouth agape reaction.

The asymptomatic spread combined with the highly contagious nature of the virus was the *entire* reason why we needed to shut everything down and stay home.
Yeah and challenging this was considered dangerous and reckless just a few weeks ago.

So funny isn't it? 🤷‍♀️

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Okay but what does the evidence say, and why were we told months ago that asymptomatic people were still spreading it around?

That was a core of why we locked down and why everyone had to wear masks and go on furlough and social distance.... because even asymptomatic carriers.

Right, but how could we have possibly have known that at the time? We have to presume those who test positive are contagious, at a time when we had no idea how many people were carriers with no symptoms

Seems like a pretty reckless statement from the WHO, so they must pretty confident in their findings

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

Sakura

The death rate ain't .26%. If it was, that would mean that like 60% of NY state already got it, over 70% in NYC. Yet you guys are also talking about herd immunity at 10 to 40%.

I need a mouth agape reaction.

The asymptomatic spread combined with the highly contagious nature of the virus was the *entire* reason why we needed to shut everything down and stay home.

Your video's dead.

Also, I just heard about this from another source, and yeah, there you go. So, here's hopefully a working video. Lying to us from the beginning. Saddest of days.

There's no way you can tell me that this isn't a coordinated attack on Western culture. Now we have the protests which aren't just anti-American, but anti-Western, then there'll be something else, until we have a delightful world government making sure nothing human and real ever gets breathed, said, made, won, again.

Of course, I'm just a regular guy, so feel free to label me a conspiracy theorist because I can't prove that their words are lies. But they are, and I'm going with that.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
The death rate ain't .26%. If it was, that would mean that like 60% of NY state already got it, over 70% in NYC. Yet you guys are also talking about herd immunity at 10 to 40%.

Thats what the CDD put the number at.

its much lower if you are healthy and under 50.

Where I live we have 20 people who died under 40. Population of 8 million people and we are the epicenter of Canada with over 4K deaths. 92% of our deaths are over the age of 70.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Your video's dead.

Also, I just heard about this from another source, and yeah, there you go. So, here's hopefully a working video. Lying to us from the beginning. Saddest of days.

There's no way you can tell me that this isn't a coordinated attack on Western culture. Now we have the protests which aren't just anti-American, but anti-Western, then there'll be something else, until we have a delightful world government making sure nothing human and real ever gets breathed, said, made, won, again.

Of course, I'm just a regular guy, so feel free to label me a conspiracy theorist because I can't prove that their words are lies. But they are, and I'm going with that.

They just walked this back and said asymptomatic spread can be 16% to as high as 40% (which lol @ that range)

OSy0If5.png

What a shitshow lmao

Sakura

Thats what the CDD put the number at.

its much lower if you are healthy and under 50.

Where I live we have 20 people who died under 40. Population of 8 million people and we are the epicenter of Canada with over 4K deaths. 92% of our deaths are over the age of 70.
The CDC's numbers are an estimate, estimates that change, and have changed in the past. Fact of the matter is, the numbers just don't add up.
The same estimate that that .26% is from, also estimates that asymptomatic people are just as infectious as symptomatic people.
Unless you know how many people under 40 have the virus, 20 deaths is meaningless. It could be that it has spread throughout old folk homes at a higher rate than through the general population.
For comparison, again New York, which has far more deaths than Quebec and has obviously spread through more of the general population, only 65.6% of deaths have been over the age of 70.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
The CDC's numbers are an estimate, estimates that change, and have changed in the past. Fact of the matter is, the numbers just don't add up.
The same estimate that that .26% is from, also estimates that asymptomatic people are just as infectious as symptomatic people.
Unless you know how many people under 40 have the virus, 20 deaths is meaningless. It could be that it has spread throughout old folk homes at a higher rate than through the general population.
For comparison, again New York, which has far more deaths than Quebec and has obviously spread through more of the general population, only 65.6% of deaths have been over the age of 70.

We have somethong like 50k cases on quebec. I dont have the exact number but the under 50 is probably 30k of the cases.

20 out of 20 or 30 k infections. Not counting all the asymptomatic people not even tested.

As far as NY. 90% of the deaths under 65 had a underying conditon. And most of the deaths under 65 are between 45 and 65.

If you are under 50 and are healthy its like .005 % death rate.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They just walked this back and said asymptomatic spread can be 16% to as high as 40% (which lol @ that range)

OSy0If5.png

What a shitshow lmao

When you have to clarify the clarification of your clarification... Jesus Christ.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stouffers

Banned
What we’ve learned is that Western countries have 6-8 weeks to get shit worked out in future pandemics. Past 6-8 weeks, fuck-it mentality and civil unrest are gonna do their thing.

Texas reported a record-breaking number of COVID-19 hospitalizations Monday as the governor plans to reopen more businesses and double capacity.

Texas Department of State Health Services figures show 1,935 people were admitted as hospital patients for coronavirus-related treatment. That is up from a previous record of 1,888 on May 5.

The department's new figures were released as Gov. Greg Abbott moves forward with a plan to open bars, restaurants, amusement parks and other businesses to 50% capacity.

tenor.gif

This response by the US government is completely fucked. There is no guidance or plan. Our pandemic response has basically boiled down to two phases:

Phase 1

Lock down everything, toss the plebs a check, and run through a bill with a bunch of corporate handout shit.

Phase 2

"Oh shit, people are getting pissed and this could cost me the election!" Fuck it. Open it all back up.

llien

A top expert at the World Health Organization on Tuesday walked back her earlier assertion that transmission of the coronavirus by people who do not have symptoms is "very rare." From a report:Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, who made the original comment at a W.H.O. briefing on Monday, said that it was based on just two or three studies and that it was a "misunderstanding" to say asymptomatic transmission is rare globally. "I was just responding to a question, I wasn't stating a policy of W.H.O. or anything like that," she said. Dr. Van Kerkhove said that the estimates of transmission from people without symptoms come primarily from models, which may not provide an accurate representation. "That's a big open question, and that remains an open question," she said.
World Health Embarrassment Organisation

Brought to you by the people who had "do not use masks" policy and have figured masks actually do help by June, merely 5 month into pandemic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom