• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I think I saw a stat that with COVID19 there's a 70% mortality rate when put on ventilators.

This is why CPAP devices have been a huge help here - going on ventilators requires obviously the machine, plus a course of sedatives. CPAP devices requires less invasive procedures and thus higher survival rate. I'll see if I can dig out stats and will post them here.

So the next time you hear twats slag off the likes of Tesla and the F1 teams for combining to make effective and cheap CPAP machines at a high volume, tell them to get fucked.

The problem is that cpaps and bipaps pump the virus all over into the air

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
151 deaths for the UK today, the numbers are dropping off a cliff now. Time to open up the economy and save lives.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
The story at the end she tells about the last patient she had before she lost her job, she is tearily talking about the progress he was making, about telling his kids recently that he was doing ok and making progress, then tells a chilling tale about how he was essentially sentenced to death just 20 minutes after she had been told she would not be working in that area anymore (literally killed shortly after they moved her out of that area), like she is at a breaking point at the end of that video there, I think it was her last day working at that hospital and she's crying trying to understand why that guy died. She keeps saying to herself "it makes no sense", and it really doesn't. Listening to the chain of events it's really difficult to grasp how this is allowed to happen and why no one investigates these things. It gets tiresome just blaming this on the media. It's true, but we know that at this point.

Wait, what? She's claiming that the hospital is executing people?

cryptoadam

Banned
Either NYC is evil and totally screwed up or we are at the begining of a propaganda misinformation campaign.

Veritas has a video of funeral directors saying that death certificates were just put on COVID on it for everyone.

This nurse coming out with this.

So either this stuff is true, or someone wants to spread mis info about NYC hospital practices.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Essentially, particularly with the DNR request stuff. Watch it.

It's an hour long random youtue video, and what's been summarised here doesn't make me particularly interested in watching it as it seems like its full of FUD. The whole framing of HCQ as an alternative to ventilators is bizarre, because ventilators are a form of life support and not a treatment. I watched her bit tearing up at the end, and she basically accused "them" of killing the patient. Whats this about the DNR? Code blues are not called for DNR patients, and while I dont have a lot of experience in the matter I would imagine you don't perform CPR on someone you're trying to kill.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Why focus on the HCQ stuff? I didn't even watch that part it didn't register to me.

Whats more important are her other claims, recorded calls, videos with doctors/residents and other nurses.

Now did she fake this stuff? Did she asks those nurses to play along with her? When there is no video is she just pretending to have conversation with someone? Some of the conversations the audio was weired and it sounded like she was editing in her part of the convo but maybe thats just the recording device.

Who cares about the HCQ stuff. works doesn't work whatever we know its nor harmful and that a fake phoney study was used to make it more dangerous than it is.

the real meat of this is that she is saying that her hospital didn't follow protocols, put non CV people with CV people so they could die, leveraged high payouts to make money for the hospital, and was venting people to essentially kill them. Thats what needs to be investigated.

Add this with PV interviewing funereal home directors and shit was fucked up in NYC, if its all true of course.

dionysus

Yaldog
Arizona looking pretty fucked right now
  • Ventilated Covid-19 patients in Arizona have increased by 400% since reopening
  • 76% of the state’s ICU beds were occupied as of Monday
  • The state health director instructed hospitals to “fully activate” their emergency plans

There must be more to this story, like large outbreaks in nursing homes.

dionysus

Yaldog
There was a dude on Joe Rogans podcast two weeks ago who told the same thing.
He had a severe case of C19, and the doctor was bright enough to keep him away from ventilators. And that doctor told him, if they would have put him on the ventilator, he would have been dead. Most people don't survive that shit.

My best friend is the head of a respiratory therapy in a hospital. He says ventilators are absolutely the worst call in the majority of cases, also ventilator quality matters a huge amount. All brands are not equal and he is highly skeptical of any of the ventilators rolling off the line from new manufacturers.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Why focus on the HCQ stuff? I didn't even watch that part it didn't register to me.

Whats more important are her other claims, recorded calls, videos with doctors/residents and other nurses.

Now did she fake this stuff? Did she asks those nurses to play along with her? When there is no video is she just pretending to have conversation with someone? Some of the conversations the audio was weired and it sounded like she was editing in her part of the convo but maybe thats just the recording device.

Who cares about the HCQ stuff. works doesn't work whatever we know its nor harmful and that a fake phoney study was used to make it more dangerous than it is.

the real meat of this is that she is saying that her hospital didn't follow protocols, put non CV people with CV people so they could die, leveraged high payouts to make money for the hospital, and was venting people to essentially kill them. Thats what needs to be investigated.

Add this with PV interviewing funereal home directors and shit was fucked up in NYC, if its all true of course.

What did the doctors/nurses being interviewed say?

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think I saw a stat that with COVID19 there's a 70% mortality rate when put on ventilators.

This is why CPAP devices have been a huge help here - going on ventilators requires obviously the machine, plus a course of sedatives. CPAP devices requires less invasive procedures and thus higher survival rate. I'll see if I can dig out stats and will post them here.

So the next time you hear twats slag off the likes of Tesla and the F1 teams for combining to make effective and cheap CPAP machines at a high volume, tell them to get fucked.

I always thought the death rate was so high because these were already people who were in the worst shape.

But we are all learning as we go here.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Looks like quite a few places are approaching where NYC was in February/March. The problem is; NYC started going into lockdown shortly after, while these areas are progressing through a reopening.
These states need to make masks a requirement. Trump should emphatically tell people to wear them.
These places aren't going to be able to lockdown again, so they need to do everything else in their power to slow the spread.

Last edited:

Ixion

The whole framing of HCQ as an alternative to ventilators is bizarre, because ventilators are a form of life support and not a treatment.

She's saying that the NY hospital put people on ventilators too early and often. That's the gist of the problem. Obviously HCQ is not for late-stage treatment, but the point is that the NY hospital would just put someone on a ventilator as soon as breathing levels took just a slight dip below the normal levels. A good chunk of the video focused on a 37-year old who didn't test positive for COVID and just came in with slightly below normal breathing. He was completely healthy otherwise. She felt he just had anxiety, but the doctors quickly put him on a ventilator, kept turning up the pressure and he died.

Also, it was my mistake in my earlier summary to leave out that she wasn't just talking about HCQ. She said the doctors should be using the less dangerous breathing mask (forgot exactly what it was called) instead of ventilators, but too often the doctors would just skip that.

And as others mentioned, some of the other main issues is that they put positively tested and negatively tested COVID patients together. Or even if they were separated, the negatively tested would still get infected due to poor hygiene from the nurses not changing their outfits. She said it seemed like they wanted these people to be infected to justify the COVID treatment they had already started them on. And lastly, the doctors admitted that no one was surviving once put on a ventilator, and yet they had zero interest in looking into alternative treatments that showed promise around the world.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
She's saying that the NY hospital put people on ventilators too early and often. That's the gist of the problem. Obviously HCQ is not for late-stage treatment, but the point is that the NY hospital would just put someone on a ventilator as soon as breathing levels took just a slight dip below the normal levels. A good chunk of the video focused on a 37-year old who didn't test positive for COVID and just came in with slightly below normal breathing. He was completely healthy otherwise. She felt he just had anxiety, but the doctors quickly put him on a ventilator, kept turning up the pressure and he died.

Also, it was my mistake in my earlier summary to leave out that she wasn't just talking about HCQ. She said the doctors should be using the less dangerous breathing mask (forgot exactly what it was called) instead of ventilators, but too often the doctors would just skip that.

And as others mentioned, some of the other main issues is that they put positively tested and negatively tested COVID patients together. Or even if they were separated, the negatively tested would still get infected due to poor hygiene from the nurses not changing their outfits. She said it seemed like they wanted these people to be infected to justify the COVID treatment they had already started them on. And lastly, the doctors admitted that no one was surviving once put on a ventilator, and yet they had zero interest in looking into alternative treatments that showed promise around the world.

OK, watched it. A huge waste of my day off, TBH.

Few things that seem off.

1) People are not getting intubated for "anxiety".
2) She is clicking on positive COVID19 lab test results and claiming that they're actually "negative" because the EMR (electronic medical record) displays "Not detected" when she scrolls over to see the units. Thats because...there are no units. Its either positive or negative. It's a quirk of the EMR, it does not mean the virus was not detected. The "non-COVID" patient she filmed in a supposedly COVID area had COVID. She just didn't know how to use the medical record system.
3) Residents are graduated MDs who are in speciality training. While they are still learning, they work under supervision and their preceptors are liable for their mistakes. It is normal for residents to "practice" skills on patients - that is how medical education works.
4) Not sure what her interview with the doctor about the rapid test is supposed to prove - unless the doctor is the medical microbiologist, he would not have any more insight than her as to why they are not using the rapid test in that hospital.
5) Her "caught on tape" discussions do very little to illuminate the medical decisions that she is criticising. We don't know why the patient with high blood sugars was intubated, but it sounds more like it was for airway protection for altered mental status than any respiratory illness. With regards to the 37 year old man, decisions re: futile care are exceedingly difficult and complex, and often involve extensive family discussion and counselling. She presented an extremely superficial overview, with no mention of family discussions, how long he had been ill for, his chances of recovery, or even his current medical status. She also misframed the argument occurring amongst nursing staff, as their issue was the lack of an order and not the DNR itself.
6) A COVID patient on a non rebreather mask or high flow cannula is not "fine", but she repeatedly tries to present them as such to make it look like these people were being vented for no reason. The reason that hospitals skip these is because experience early in the pandemic showed that these patients would deteriorate rapidly, leading to emergency intubations that would be more traumatic and have a higher risk of spreading the infection to health care providers.
7) She's comparing mortality rates between her home hospital and the NYC hospital, but her evidence is purely anecdotal and its clear that she worked in very different departments between the two. It appears she worked in ambulatory setting in Florida ("we only had one patient that was admitted" "I worked in the COVID tent") versus the ICU in NYC. It goes without saying that the mortality rate would be higher in the ICU.
8) Ventilators are not treatment. They should never be seen as such. They are life support for the most ill people. To frame them as a treatment for COVID19 is very dangerous and likely disingenuous on her part.
9) I highly doubt vented patients are a money maker . ARDS patients are intubated for weeks and are extremely expensive to look after.
10) Doctors are not gods. They can't write orders for any medication you read about on the internet. Even if I wrote an order for a Vitamin C infusion, it would get flagged by the hospital pharmacy and would not be dispensed. Heck, I doubt we even carry intravenous vitamin C.
11) She straight up accuses people of being murderers in her last clip, with nothing to substantiate her accusation. People in the ICU often die suddenly - it does not make their death suspicious.

Last edited:

segasonic

More their reaction made no sense.

Japan and Sweden both did it better. The fact that the Prime Minister of Norway said she went too far with lock down and wishes she took the Sweden approach says a lot.

The models that the rest of Europe followed predicted up to 100k deaths in Sweden if they did not lock down. Until their death toll reaches even 10 percent of that no way can a reasonable person say they "failed".
Sweden has 5 times the number of deaths per pop than say Germany. Yesterday they had 1427 new cases which is their highest number ever. They only have single digit percentage of immune people, with immunity possibly lasting only 6 months and a vaccine not realistically available in 2020. Swedish have really fucked themselves...

Last edited:

Ixion

2) She is clicking on positive COVID19 lab test results and claiming that they're actually "negative" because the EMR (electronic medical record) displays "Not detected" when she scrolls over to see the units. Thats because...there are no units. Its either positive or negative. It's a quirk of the EMR, it does not mean the virus was not detected. The "non-COVID" patient she filmed in a supposedly COVID area had COVID. She just didn't know how to use the medical record system.
3) Residents are graduated MDs who are in speciality training. While they are still learning, they work under supervision and their preceptors are liable for their mistakes. It is normal for residents to "practice" skills on patients - that is how medical education works.
4) Not sure what her interview with the doctor about the rapid test is supposed to prove - unless the doctor is the medical microbiologist, he would not have any more insight than her as to why they are not using the rapid test in that hospital.
5) Her "caught on tape" discussions do very little to illuminate the medical decisions that she is criticising. We don't know why the patient with high blood sugars was intubated, but it sounds more like it was for airway protection for altered mental status than any respiratory illness. With regards to the 37 year old man, decisions re: futile care are exceedingly difficult and complex, and often involve extensive family discussion and counselling. She presented an extremely superficial overview, with no mention of family discussions, how long he had been ill for, his chances of recovery, or even his current medical status. She also misframed the argument occurring amongst nursing staff, as their issue was the lack of an order and not the DNR itself.
6) A COVID patient on a non rebreather mask or high flow cannula is not "fine", but she repeatedly tries to present them as such to make it look like these people were being vented for no reason. The reason that hospitals skip these is because experience early in the pandemic showed that these patients would deteriorate rapidly, leading to emergency intubations that would be more traumatic and have a higher risk of spreading the infection to health care providers.
7) She's comparing mortality rates between her home hospital and the NYC hospital, but her evidence is purely anecdotal and its clear that she worked in very different departments between the two. It appears she worked in ambulatory setting in Florida ("we only had one patient that was admitted" "I worked in the COVID tent") versus the ICU in NYC. It goes without saying that the mortality rate would be higher in the ICU.
8) Ventilators are not treatment. They should never be seen as such. They are life support for the most ill people. To frame them as a treatment for COVID19 is very dangerous and likely disingenuous on her part.
9) I highly doubt vented patients are a money maker . ARDS patients are intubated for weeks and are extremely expensive to look after.
10) Doctors are not gods. They can't write orders for any medication you read about on the internet. Even if I wrote an order for a Vitamin C infusion, it would get flagged by the hospital pharmacy and would not be dispensed. Heck, I doubt we even carry intravenous vitamin C.
11) She straight up accuses people of being murderers in her last clip, with nothing to substantiate her accusation. People in the ICU often die suddenly - it does not make their death suspicious.

Thanks for your detailed thoughts on this. One thing I'll note though is your point about the family discourse. The nurse mentioned one of the main issues with COVID is that your family can't be there with you. Patients come in on their own with no family to be in their corner. And combining that with all the residents who are practicing skills on them, you can see why that might be a bad combination. But hopefully she was exaggerating.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
rN2HCcL.jpg

prag16

Banned

So is it your opinion that she is a charlatan and is deliberately attempting to deceive? For #2 are you familiar with this particular EMR system or are you assuming she must be an idiot? My company develops software that aggregates and feeds medical device data to EMR systems. Our software wouldn't generally have a part in inputting test results and labs into an EMR feed, but I do know that the various systems are all different and all have their quirks.

The reason I ask whether you're assuming is because a lot of the rest of your points seem to be assuming the worst, and rely on her being a dishonest charlatan. If she is, hopefully that comes out and is proven. But if she's not, what she has revealed should be an absolutely monumental scandal. Even if she's wrong about the EMR system in point #2 above.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
So is it your opinion that she is a charlatan and is deliberately attempting to deceive? For #2 are you familiar with this particular EMR system or are you assuming she must be an idiot? My company develops software that aggregates and feeds medical device data to EMR systems. Our software wouldn't generally have a part in inputting test results and labs into an EMR feed, but I do know that the various systems are all different and all have their quirks.

The reason I ask whether you're assuming is because a lot of the rest of your points seem to be assuming the worst, and rely on her being a dishonest charlatan. If she is, hopefully that comes out and is proven. But if she's not, what she has revealed should be an absolutely monumental scandal. Even if she's wrong about the EMR system in point #2 above.
Watch the video. The test results are positive, but she moves her cursor over and reads “Reference Range/Units” which are defined as “not detected”, and assumes this means that this is the Covid19 test results. If you notice, there is an option to click on to see view report. This usually happens when the lab is resulting their tests on paper which are then being scanned into the EMR. No, I don’t know this particular EMR (or maybe I have but have simply forgotten) but I have probably used a dozen in my career and am generally tech savvy. I don’t see how that’s relevant, since you don’t need experience to realize she is not reading the test results correctly. It’s right there in her video.

Which of my points are relying on her being a charlatan?

Last edited:

pel1300

Sweden has 5 times the number of deaths per pop than say Germany. Yesterday they had 1427 new cases which is their highest number ever. They only have single digit percentage of immune people, with immunity possibly lasting only 6 months and a vaccine not realistically available in 2020. Swedish have really fucked themselves...
lol @ hoping for a vaccine in June 2020.

Keep believing this is the black plague. I will continue enjoying my life in Mexico.

Last edited:

pLow7

Exactly. Sweden is seriously the last country to follow in this pandemic and you just have to view the Graphs:

Germany:

gLuygZ1.png

Spain:

fspDhh7.png

Sweden:

s0EI5pV.png

Keep in mind. Germany has 8x and Spain 5x the Population Sweden has and they are Still posting far lower numbers every day.

Last edited:
Exactly. Sweden is seriously the last country to follow in this pandemic and you just have to view the Graphs:

Germany:

gLuygZ1.png

Spain:

fspDhh7.png

Sweden:

s0EI5pV.png

Keep in mind. Germany has 8x and Spain 5x the Population Sweden has and they are Still posting far lower numbers every day.

But the mathematicians told me that the virus just magically disappears in 60 days because of graphs

Good luck with a second lockdown. The governor was out walking around protestors without his mask off for a photo op though.

Unless it gets really, and I mean really bad, lockdowns are over. I think we are all going to end up doing the Sweden thing and just bearing the brunt of whatever comes.

JordanN

Banned
Unless it gets really, and I mean really bad, lockdowns are over. I think we are all going to end up doing the Sweden thing and just bearing the brunt of whatever comes.
But wasn't that always the point?

The worst of the Spanish Flu came around October/November, in which case, how are we going to keep everything open again?

0LYgy1M.png

Meanwhile, the global curve continues to go up.

d248a7j.png

N0h5oDV.png

Last edited:
But wasn't that always the point?

The worst of Spanish Flu came around October/November, in which case, how are we going to keep everything open again?

0LYgy1M.png

The way I see it is that the backlash got bad enough that the politicians have questioned their chances in November if they kept the lockdowns going. That, plus the potential devastation of the economy has given them cold feet (and possibly rightfully so). Unless we see an Italy type situation in the fall/winter, I just dont see anybody proposing a lockdown again.

Chaplain

"...Dr. Jay Segal Temple University Public Health is conducting research to assess the impact of COVID-19 on our physical and mental well being...consider taking the survey (it does not take much time) and share it with others. The survey is for people 18 years older. Your participation is highly appreciated...." (6/12/20)

Link: Social Isolation and Stress Survey

prag16

Banned

Germany:

gLuygZ1.png

Spain:

fspDhh7.png

Sweden:

s0EI5pV.png

You have a look at the daily deaths chart. It paints a MUCH less dire picture of Sweden's situation. What do Sweden's testing numbers look like? If they've been ramping up testing capacity recently what you're posting makes sense.

capture10pkpv.png

cryptoadam

Banned
Like clockwork the New York Times is blaming the spikes on reopening and not thousands of people having riot dance parties.

Its very interesting how we have not heard of anyone at these riot parties testing positive. When a pastor tests they tell us, when someone at the ozarks test they tell us, when a hairdresser tests they tell us.

We know that members of the National Guard tested positive, so there are infected protesters out there. Its actually very irresponsible if authorties aren't informing people who went to these riots/protests that someone who was there tested positive.

cryptoadam

Banned
When did the reopenings start? I think the spike right now is from Memorial Day. I think we are about a week or so too early to see the looters/protesters showing symptoms.

How long does it take for symptoms of the coronavirus disease to appear?

On average it takes 5–6 days from when someone is infected with the virus for symptoms to show, however it can take up to 14 days.

I think that memorial day people would of gotten sick about a week ago, what we are seeing now is more related to the protest/riots that started on the 30th/31st.

there was a litte bump last week which I think was from memorial day, but I think these spikes are going to be bigger and are from the riots.

And then that will roll into Trumps rallies and then the election LOL.

pLow7

You have a look at the daily deaths chart. It paints a MUCH less dire picture of Sweden's situation. What do Sweden's testing numbers look like? If they've been ramping up testing capacity recently what you're posting makes sense.

capture10pkpv.png

Lmao yeah good Chart. Compare that to any other european country and see how that goes.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Germany:

gLuygZ1.png

Spain:

fspDhh7.png

Sweden:

s0EI5pV.png

It’s almost as if Sweden assumed that they can weather COVID like they did WWI, WWII and all other wars in the last 300 years, just continuing life as usual and pretending nothing is going on in the world.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
It takes about 2 weeks for an event to show up in the statistics. Most people are symptomatic around 1 week after exposure, but most also wait a few days before being tested. The test then takes a few days to come back and there’s usually a delay for the test to be reported to public health.

The Floyd protests started at the end of May. I don’t think you can argue that the protests are the driving force between the increases seen thus far, because certain states in the NE and rust belt (Massachusetts,NY, Michigan, Minnesota, etc.) that had significant protesting and rioting have not seen any increase in cases. I believe some of not most of these states had ongoing stay at home orders into June.

It’s mostly states on the west coast and the south that have seen increase in cases. For reference, California lifted its stay at home order the week of May 5, Texas May 1. Washington state seems
to be an exception, as it was on lockdown until May 31 but despite this is now also starting to see a rise in cases.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom