• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I heard on Rogan today that places stopped using the nasal swabs that go all the way deep into your nasal cavity and now it's just a superficial nasal swab. Apparently because the old tests were a danger to the medical professionals administering them because it would cause gagging, coughing, sneezing expelling respiratory droplets onto them.

Is this true? I have to get one in a few weeks and that would be welcomed especially since my sinus issues have been hell lately.

Stouffers

Banned
I heard on Rogan today that places stopped using the nasal swabs that go all the way deep into your nasal cavity and now it's just a superficial nasal swab. Apparently because the old tests were a danger to the medical professionals administering them because it would cause gagging, coughing, sneezing expelling respiratory droplets onto them.

Is this true? I have to get one in a few weeks and that would be welcomed especially since my sinus issues have been hell lately.
I did an at home test for work and it only needed to penetrate about an inch.

If only most things were that easy.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

I think it was believed that nasopharyngeal swabs (collecting cells deep into the nasopharynx) were more accurate but they have found that the nare swabs to be just as accurate. Needless to say neither of these are 100% :messenger_kissing_smiling:

Jooxed

Gold Member

The one I had done at my doctor office barely went up there at all. He was telling me weeks ago that it was silly and they didn’t need to go that deep to get a good sample.

Nymphae

Banned
Pretty insane claims from this NYC nurse, this has been an excellent video series

Edit: Like seriously crazy stuff, she got a lot of undercover video from the hospitals and some of her quotes are downright shocking. The media won't touch this and I'm not transcribing this whole thing, give it a watch people, this is a good episode.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Pretty insane claims from this NYC nurse, this has been an excellent video series

Edit: Like seriously crazy stuff, she got a lot of undercover video from the hospitals and some of her quotes are downright shocking. The media won't touch this and I'm not transcribing this whole thing, give it a watch people, this is a good episode.

At least a summary?

Nymphae

Banned
At least a summary?

Well this is their video description

Erin Marie Olszewski is a Nurse-turned-investigative journalist, who has spent the last few months on the frontlines of the coronavirus pandemic, on the inside in two radically different settings. Two hospitals. One private, the other public. One in Florida, the other in New York. And not just any New York public hospital, but the "epicenter of the epicenter" itself, the infamous Elmhurst in Donald Trump's Queens.

As a result of these diametrically opposed experiences, she has the ultimate "perspective on the pandemic". She has been where there have been the most deaths attributed to Covid-19 and where there have been the least. Erin is a decorated Veteran of the Iraq War and the President of the Florida Freedom Alliance who promote vaccine freedom.

prag16

Banned

Only watched first 15 minutes so far, but damn. Some absolutely shocking claims here. And it's not just her say-so. She has tons of video and recordings. I'll have to watch the rest tomorrow.

Nymphae

Banned
Only watched first 15 minutes so far, but damn. Some absolutely shocking claims here. And it's not just her say-so. She has tons of video and recordings. I'll have to watch the rest tomorrow.

Would not surprise me if it is removed soon, I downloaded it.

Ixion

At least a summary?

I just watched the whole thing.

• She worked at both a Florida hospital and the NY Elmhurst hospital during the pandemic.
  • She said none of her patients died at the Florida hospital when she was there because they were generally given Hydroxychloroquine + Zinc, while ventilators weren’t used very much.
  • On the other hand, while at the NY Elmhurst hospital she said every one of her patients died while she was there except for one guy who pulled the ventilator tube out of his own throat.
  • The NY hospital often treats people as COVID patients even though they test negative. They’ll sometimes put positive and negative COVID patients together in the same room.
  • NY hospital also is quick to put people on ventilators and keep turning up the pressure, and then just wait for them to die. And this often happens even when the patient doesn’t test positive for COVID, as mentioned above. She has doctors on tape saying they’ve never had someone live after being out on a ventilator. It’s a death sentence.
  • Ultimately she feels the issue is a combination of bad orders from the top who want to be right about ventilators VS Hydroxychloroquine, the $29,000 per ventilator money, along with hospital staff who are lazy order followers looking to please their superiors

llien

My spouse just chatted with our UK acquaintance, who happened to get C19.

A female in early 30s, living alone, was isolating, not even going out to get food (used post delivery), avoiding this and that.
Cannot remember a single "suspicious" (somebody coughing, or being unhealthy) incident around her, nor did she visit crowded spaces. (!!!)

Got the following symptoms:
low fever of 37.2C
complete loss of sense of smell

And it lasted for more than 3 weeks (!!!), got somewhat better 1.5 weeks into disease, then got worse again.
Felt very weak, could barely move, at some point started taking antibiotics (didn't have to go see a doctor for that, cause, you know, people from USSR have links to homeland, where it is still quite relaxed).

Went to a hospital in panic, was told to get the fuck home and call if she feels like "really really bad".
At that point C19 tests were in a very short supply, she didn't get any.

After getting better (6+ weeks into it) was finally tested negative.
Says there are no anti-body tests available.

Last edited:

Sakura

A female in early 30s, living alone, was isolating, not even going out to get food (used post delivery), avoiding this and that.
Cannot remember a single "suspicious" (somebody coughing, or being unhealthy) incident around her, nor did she visit crowded spaces. (!!!)

low fever of 37.2C

And it lasted for more than 3 weeks (!!!), got somewhat better 1.5 weeks into disease, then got worse again.
Felt very weak, could barely move, at some point started taking antibiotics (didn't have to go see a doctor for that, cause, you know, people from USSR have links to homeland, where it is still quite relaxed).

Went to a hospital in panic, was told to get the fuck home and call if she feels like "really really bad".

Wait, so how do you know she had it then?

low fever of 37.2C

Thats fucked up.

dionysus

Yaldog
No big problem with that tbh - it's about preventing movement of droplets, the expulsion at a distance. Realistically people can't afford to change them every 5 minutes, we're not in surgeries, and yeah you'll touch things and touch the mask, such is life. However, if other people aren't touching your mask then it's not too big a problem. The key thing is that you're protecting others from your droplets, and if they do the same, job done.

The best masks that stop the most particles have one way vent valves. So they only protect the wearer, not others. This is because exhalation compromises the seal around the face if the mask imposes any amount of backpressure, and also to preserve the protective qualities of the special materials that attract the water droplets and other hazards. Those materials will get saturated quickly from the water in your own breath.

A lot of misinformation about masks out there to justify their use. I just wish they were sold with accurate information because they do offer some protections but they have downsides. Here is a rule of thumb backed up by physics, if the mask is not uncomfortable and not restricting your breathing, it isn't doing anything.

The better the mask at stopping smaller particles the quicker it becomes useless, on the order of 20 minutes. (So stupidity like having teachers wear the same masks for 8 hours while teaching students is dumb.)
Masks with valves do not protect others, they protect the wearer.
Cloth masks without non-woven inserts are largely useless. They will only stop the largest droplets, which fall out of the air immediately anyway.

dionysus

Yaldog
They just walked this back and said asymptomatic spread can be 16% to as high as 40% (which lol @ that range)

OSy0If5.png

What a shitshow lmao

This is literally just model variable goal seeking and curve fitting. They have no idea if there is asymptomatic spread and how likely it is, but if they plug 16% into their model it mimics historical behavior of the virus. Their evidence is models which have proven to be so accurate when it comes to this virus. /s

Nymphae

Banned

The craziest story in there I think was the one about the buy who extubated himself, you can hear the nurses talking about it on the one audio clip.

I think she says that he was the only patient she had that survived, the guy who pulled the ventilator out of his own throat and said fuck this. She said if he didn't do that he absolutely would have died on the ventilator. At the end of that she says the sad thing is that he thinks the hospital saved him - but they 100% wanted him on that ventilator and he only got out because he was fucked up on an insane cocktail of drugs and decided to pull his own tube and leave - if he had a cooler head he probably would have listened to the advice of the nurses around him and stayed on the ventilator. Really scary and powerful stories here.

Good audio from the nurses and doctors about the incentives for getting people on ventilators, some really interesting behind the scenes look at how mismanaged things are, and how blind a lot of these nurses and residents are flying, some with the best of intentions like this woman, and others not so much. Bad sanitation practices, tons of people just executing completely nonsensical orders (like putting people who literally just tested negative for Covid in a room with other covid positives for example) from "higher up" without understanding why they are doing it, etc.

The story at the end she tells about the last patient she had before she lost her job, she is tearily talking about the progress he was making, about telling his kids recently that he was doing ok and making progress, then tells a chilling tale about how he was essentially sentenced to death just 20 minutes after she had been told she would not be working in that area anymore (literally killed shortly after they moved her out of that area), like she is at a breaking point at the end of that video there, I think it was her last day working at that hospital and she's crying trying to understand why that guy died. She keeps saying to herself "it makes no sense", and it really doesn't. Listening to the chain of events it's really difficult to grasp how this is allowed to happen and why no one investigates these things. It gets tiresome just blaming this on the media. It's true, but we know that at this point.

Last edited:

llien

I mean, even influenza can cause loss of smell not to mention all sorts of other diseases, just sayin.

Never heard of Influenze giving steady 37.2C for weeks, dry coughs, breathing problems and full suppression of sense of smell.
But, of course, although unlikely, "something else" cannot be ruled out.
Which makes lack of an anti-body test even more regrettable.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned

Chittagong

Gold Member
A huge finding about the virus. We have known about ACE2 for a while. Turns out, the virus uses also another protein.

While people were out protesting our friends were hard at work on this Nature submission.

One of them got the virus on the flight back home after submitting this, fucking hero:

11 June — Virus conscripts a pair of human proteins to invade cells

Researchers have found a second protein that SARS-CoV-2 uses to enter human cells, potentially offering a new target for vaccines and drugs.

The SARS-CoV-2 protein called Spike is known to attach to a human protein called ACE2, which allows the virus to enter cells. Two teams of researchers have now found that the human protein neuropilin-1 (NRP1) also aids viral invasion.

Peter Cullen and Yohei Yamauchi at the University of Bristol, UK, and their colleagues showed that a fragment of the Spike protein can bind to NRP1 (L. Cantuti-Castelvetri et al. Preprint at bioRxiv http://doi.org/dx5c; 2020). Both this team’s findings and those of Mikael Simons at the Technical University of Munich, Germany, and his colleagues (J. L. Daly et al. Preprint at bioRxiv http://doi.org/dx5d; 2020) show that an antibody that binds to NRP1 can block infection of human cells grown in the laboratory.

The Simons team also found that in mice, NRP1 assists the entry of virus-sized particles into the central nervous system. The studies suggest that blocking the interaction between the virus and NRP1 could provide a way to combat coronavirus infection.

Neither study has been peer reviewed yet.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Arizona looking pretty fucked right now
  • Ventilated Covid-19 patients in Arizona have increased by 400% since reopening
  • 76% of the state’s ICU beds were occupied as of Monday
  • The state health director instructed hospitals to “fully activate” their emergency plans

Arizona looking pretty fucked right now
  • Ventilated Covid-19 patients in Arizona have increased by 400% since reopening
  • 76% of the state’s ICU beds were occupied as of Monday
  • The state health director instructed hospitals to “fully activate” their emergency plans

So much for the theory that Covid doesn't like hot summer weather.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

(But of course protests of thousands of people don't count)

What is she basing that on? Daily deaths have slowed down dramatically and September is only about 50 days away.

The protests and general reopening/everyone saying fuck it to the lockdown?

Last edited by a moderator:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Never heard of Influenze giving steady 37.2C for weeks, dry coughs, breathing problems and full suppression of sense of smell.
But, of course, although unlikely, "something else" cannot be ruled out.
Which makes lack of an anti-body test even more regrettable.

A few years ago I got the flu, and I had to have been sick for a solid six weeks. The doctor said I must have caught several things and it just never ended. It does happen.

I *think* I got COVID-19 in February and I was in pretty bad shape for 3 weeks or so. Very dry cough and breathing problems, came out of nowhere (from 100% to totally laid out in about 4 hours), although I don't remember losing my sense of smell or having a really bad fever for a long amount of time.

Last edited:
The craziest story in there I think was the one about the buy who extubated himself, you can hear the nurses talking about it on the one audio clip.

I think she says that he was the only patient she had that survived, the guy who pulled the ventilator out of his own throat and said fuck this. She said if he didn't do that he absolutely would have died on the ventilator. At the end of that she says the sad thing is that he thinks the hospital saved him - but they 100% wanted him on that ventilator and he only got out because he was fucked up on an insane cocktail of drugs and decided to pull his own tube and leave - if he had a cooler head he probably would have listened to the advice of the nurses around him and stayed on the ventilator. Really scary and powerful stories here.

Good audio from the nurses and doctors about the incentives for getting people on ventilators, some really interesting behind the scenes look at how mismanaged things are, and how blind a lot of these nurses and residents are flying, some with the best of intentions like this woman, and others not so much. Bad sanitation practices, tons of people just executing completely nonsensical orders (like putting people who literally just tested negative for Covid in a room with other covid positives for example) from "higher up" without understanding why they are doing it, etc.

The story at the end she tells about the last patient she had before she lost her job, she is tearily talking about the progress he was making, about telling his kids recently that he was doing ok and making progress, then tells a chilling tale about how he was essentially sentenced to death just 20 minutes after she had been told she would not be working in that area anymore (literally killed shortly after they moved her out of that area), like she is at a breaking point at the end of that video there, I think it was her last day working at that hospital and she's crying trying to understand why that guy died. She keeps saying to herself "it makes no sense", and it really doesn't. Listening to the chain of events it's really difficult to grasp how this is allowed to happen and why no one investigates these things. It gets tiresome just blaming this on the media. It's true, but we know that at this point.
There was a dude on Joe Rogans podcast two weeks ago who told the same thing.
He had a severe case of C19, and the doctor was bright enough to keep him away from ventilators. And that doctor told him, if they would have put him on the ventilator, he would have been dead. Most people don't survive that shit.

Jezbollah

I think I saw a stat that with COVID19 there's a 70% mortality rate when put on ventilators.

This is why CPAP devices have been a huge help here - going on ventilators requires obviously the machine, plus a course of sedatives. CPAP devices requires less invasive procedures and thus higher survival rate. I'll see if I can dig out stats and will post them here.

So the next time you hear twats slag off the likes of Tesla and the F1 teams for combining to make effective and cheap CPAP machines at a high volume, tell them to get fucked.

pel1300

Because your reaction was late, very weak and short-lived.
More their reaction made no sense.

Japan and Sweden both did it better. The fact that the Prime Minister of Norway said she went too far with lock down and wishes she took the Sweden approach says a lot.

The models that the rest of Europe followed predicted up to 100k deaths in Sweden if they did not lock down. Until their death toll reaches even 10 percent of that no way can a reasonable person say they "failed".

Last edited:

sinnergy

This thread still going strong 💪 Smiles and Cries Smiles and Cries you still good? The Netherlands representing.

. Today 2 friends are tested, been sick on and off from January and had totally weird shit, now she has a fever and test capacity is now available.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
The latest Perspectives on the Pandemic video is seriously good guys, plugging it again because it deserves to be seen. It's not a slog at all, I went to watch it for a few min and ended up gripped for the whole hour. Please give it a watch, 1 hour of hard hitting investigative reporting is worth your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom