• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigsnack

I was very sick (for me) back in January; it ran thru my whole house. We were told it wasn't the flu at the time. None of us have been sick since, FWIW.

Same here. Both of my kids got the same thing I had, but significantly milder symptoms. They both just had a day or so of a light fever and a very slight cough. None of us have been sick since, so I'm really starting to think that was it. Thanks for the feedback! Anyone else?

ManaByte

Same here. Both of my kids got the same thing I had, but significantly milder symptoms. They both just had a day or so of a light fever and a very slight cough. None of us have been sick since, so I'm really starting to think that was it. Thanks for the feedback! Anyone else?

Yea my wife and I had something bad in February. I didn't get the cough but she had a scary dry cough for days.

Last edited:

Ixion

For those who are asking why the COVID situation is politicized and met with a lot of skepticism from many people in the US:

1) The top story for two years immediately after the Trump election was that our new President colluded with Russia. Tons of "experts" and most media sources were shoving this down our throats as if it was the truth and the biggest scandal of all-time. Anyone who didn't believe it was a "conspiracy theorist". The President MUST be removed! And yet it turned out the entire Russia collusion narrative WAS the made-up conspiracy theory.

2) IMMEDIATELY after that bullshit ended, the President went through a drawn out impeachment process for a phone call when everyone knew there was no crime involved. This was hailed as "bigger than watergate", and the President MUST be removed! And yet it also turned out to be a conspiracy theory. Impeachment is the most extreme political action you can take against a US President, and the Democrats did it based on nothing. This showed that the President's enemies would stop at nothing to try and remove him before the next election, and will try more and more extreme approaches until it happens. And keep in mind this is while the US has China on it's knees with the trade war and while the elite pedophile ring helmed by Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell started to unravel.

3) IMMEDIATELY after that bullshit ended, the Coronavirus emerges (let's assume it was unintentional) and it's the perfect opportunity to suppress the President's best accomplishment (the economy), to harm one of his most reliable voting blocks (the elderly, who were killed in droves by Democrat governors), and to also squash his rallies and show of support. We have tons of authority figures and medical "experts" who are fine with leftist rallies and violence, but not right-wing rallies. And of course they told us not to wear masks, and now they're telling us to wear masks. And of course they called shutting down travel from China racist and aggressive, and now they say every country should have been shut off and sooner.

So you can see why this whole situation is met with a lot of skepticism since the top "crisis" stories from the media and our authority figures ever since Trump was elected have been made-up conspiracy theories to try and remove the President by any means necessary. If the media and "experts" want us to trust them for the next "crisis", then they need to stop being bullshit artists. It's hard for people to discern what is real and what is another deceptive political gaslighting attempt.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Why so aggressive? Why insulting? I'm not 'pulling a theory out of my ass'. I said that not allowing people to get their necessary treatments, and their preventative treatments for 2 months would lead to increased mortality later. Do you disagree with that? It seems pretty undeniably obvious. There is a reason that people receive preventative checkups, and a reason people receive medical care for non-life threatening conditions.

What I also said is that government data would be needed to determine actual deaths/ICU visits directly due to lack of treatment during the healthcare shutdown. If that's not clear at this point, I don't know how else to explain it to you.

Well I honestly thought you were someone else, sorry for the aggressiveness... but I find these random theories frustrating, and the are.. pulled out of people's asses and not based on any data.

But yes... people should get preventative checkups.. but skipping them for what? 2 months? Is going to cause some huge surge in ICU cases?

That's just ridiculous to me. It's not based on any data, just a random theory... and the entire idea that "only 15-20% of our ICUs are Corona cases, so THE MEDIA IS LYING" is nonsense at face value.. something ManaByte is just refusing to address.

People aren't getting that our healthcare system is setup on PREDICTABLE rates of disease. We are not setup to suddenly have a disease shows up that kills/hospitalizes as many people as one of our top 3 or 5 does, hence why it needs to be contained.

If we do not do any lockdowns this disease is going to be completely out of control.. it basically has been anywhere there wasn't lockdowns.. quickly filling ICUs. Oh but wait.. I'm talking to people DENYING the indisputable fact that CORONA is why ICUs are full.. so yeah I'ma be aggressive.. because you guys are part of a HUGE problem, denying science.

IntentionalPun

Go look at Israel and see whats happening there.

We all gotta lose the hubris and think we are better than god. Virus gonna virus. Get back to me when we stop the cold and Flu from infecting anyone ever again.

Take your Vit D/C/Zinc, social distance, wear a mask, avoid large crowds, wash your hands and pray you get past it.
Right.. they opened up their country and the virus spiraled out of control. Same as is happening in places in the US that opened up (although we are worse, because we opened up WHILE still having huge issues.)

Not entirely sure what your point is.. if nobody had ever shut down at all, it's incredibly clear that worldwide we'd have seen millions of deaths, hospitals completely overwhelmed, etc. We need to have shut down earlier and longer.. we need contact tracing, we need far more widespread testing (our rate of testing is still terrible, particularly due to the sheer size of our symptomatic population), etc. Exactly everything that experts who've been studying pandamics for years have been recommending. Those people are NOT politicians, they are scientists.

I suppose your point is we should just let society crumble or something? Millions dying and 10s of millions getting sick would disrupt food resources, cause mass panic, hyperinflation, etc.

We might get there in a year anyways if the world doesn't get this under control.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Well I honestly thought you were someone else, sorry for the aggressiveness... but I find these random theories frustrating, and the are.. pulled out of people's asses and not based on any data.

But yes... people should get preventative checkups.. but skipping them for what? 2 months? Is going to cause some huge surge in ICU cases?

That's just ridiculous to me. It's not based on any data, just a random theory... and the entire idea that "only 15-20% of our ICUs are Corona cases, so THE MEDIA IS LYING" is nonsense at face value.. something ManaByte is just refusing to address.

People aren't getting that our healthcare system is setup on PREDICTABLE rates of disease. We are not setup to suddenly have a disease shows up that kills/hospitalizes as many people as one of our top 3 or 5 does, hence why it needs to be contained.

If we do not do any lockdowns this disease is going to be completely out of control.. it basically has been anywhere there wasn't lockdowns.. quickly filling ICUs. Oh but wait.. I'm talking to people DENYING the indisputable fact that CORONA is why ICUs are full.. so yeah I'ma be aggressive.. because you guys are part of a HUGE problem, denying science.

This is from Riverside County in CA. I was wrong. It's not 15-20%. The CONFIRMED COVID UTILIZATION is only 13.9%

q0I0yJa.png

The media screams and spreads the red line. But they don't acknowledge the pink line.

But continue to ignore facts and attack people in this thread.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Right.. they opened up their country and the virus spiraled out of control. Same as is happening in places in the US that opened up (although we are worse, because we opened up WHILE still having huge issues.)

Not entirely sure what your point is.. if nobody had ever shut down at all, it's incredibly clear that worldwide we'd have seen millions of deaths, hospitals completely overwhelmed, etc. We need to have shut down earlier and longer.. we need contact tracing, we need far more widespread testing (our rate of testing is still terrible, particularly due to the sheer size of our symptomatic population), etc. Exactly everything that experts who've been studying pandamics for years have been recommending. Those people are NOT politicians, they are scientists.

I suppose your point is we should just let society crumble or something? Millions dying and 10s of millions getting sick would disrupt food resources, cause mass panic, hyperinflation, etc.

We might get there in a year anyways if the world doesn't get this under control.

Well millions aren't going to die unless you unleash the virus on the 85+ population.

My point was that Israel had one of the best lock downs in the world, When they reopened they had less than 20 cases a day. So even with all of that they still couldn't control the virus.

Government can't protect you. There is nothing they can do to ensure that you will not get a virus. You have to take it into your own hands.

Lockdown the country for months, thats not going to get rid of the virus, once you come out of your hybernation the virus will still be lurking and then a case will pop up and another and another and then you will always have the fear that someone is asymptomatic.

You can't rely on others, you have to do live with it and do whats best for you.

IntentionalPun

This is from Riverside County in CA. I was wrong. It's not 15-20%. The CONFIRMED COVID UTILIZATION is only 13.9%

q0I0yJa.png

But continue to ignore facts and attack people in this thread.
I didn't ignore shit I asked you a question where you got that stat... thanks for answering.

You are the one ignoring my point. Our hospitals are setup for predictable amounts of disease with some leeway for the unknown. 13% of ICUs suddenly being taken up by a disease that literally didn't exist a year ago is significant.. and guess what? That number is going up, and quickly, in Riverside CA. And what happens when 94% becomes 100% exactly?

ManaByte

I didn't ignore shit I asked you a question where you got that stat... thanks for answering.

You are the one ignoring my point. Our hospitals are setup for predictable amounts of disease with some leeway for the unknown. 13% of ICUs suddenly being taken up by a disease that literally didn't exist a year ago is significant.. and guess what? That number is going up, and quickly, in Riverside CA. And what happens when 94% becomes 100% exactly?

In CA they move people to other counties. When Imperial County got overrun with people from Mexico they moved them to Riverside. Now Riverside is being overrun and they'll move someone to another county.

Newsom has been talking all week how the state has the capacity to handle the surge.

In CA they move people to other counties. When Imperial County got overrun with people from Mexico they moved them to Riverside. Now Riverside is being overrun and they'll move someone to another county.

Newsom has been talking all week how the state has the capacity to handle the surge.
People are crossing the border for COVID care?
They didn’t shut the border with Mexico?

ManaByte

People are crossing the border for COVID care?
They didn’t shut the border with Mexico?

Not in CA. Newsom is completely open borders with Mexico (but not China or Europe of course), even in a pandemic. Imperial County was locked down again because of cases from Mexico.

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned

I don't think anyone (certainly not me) is denying science.

Not in CA. Newsom is completely open borders with Mexico (but not China or Europe of course), even in a pandemic. Imperial County was locked down again because of cases from Mexico.

You can’t do both
You can’t push for shutdowns and fluid borders with Mexico that is some weird ass logic

Liljagare

A Lot lower than Sweden.
Where do you have this data from?

This Graph in this Excel provided by the SCB shows something different.

2015: 47k dead first 6 months.
2020: 49k dead first 6 months.

Between, 44-46K dead for the first six months.

Adjust for population each year, and you get what?

Btw, person dies from heart failure, and has Covid-19, do you know in which countries that would count as a Covid-19 death? Take a wild guess what countries reports it as heart failure..

Last edited:

Liljagare

It’s already been explained numerous times. Swedish deaths exceed their neighbours by several factors. Their economic numbers are just as bad, if not worse. How did they possibly make “the best call”? If not the economy, who benefited from the Swedish model?

Look 2-3 posts above.

Sweden:
2020: 49k same period.

Adjust for population. Again, there is no overmortality.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Got too busy with the college teaching going full online. Now finally got the chance to catch a break.

How are you guys holding up?

Jonsoncao

Banned
The virus is man made.
5 years old.
Read the patent from the link I post.

In fact the patent is here.

We are being taken for a ride. The virus is not a week old, they knew about it over 5 years ago and already had a vaccine ready....
The genomes you linked are completely different from COVID-19.

You seem to be illiterate on how coronavirus is classified, there are tons of viri are categorized as "coronavirus".

EDIT: oh... it seemed that I was careless and cited a post back in Jan, now the patent page has a disclaimer as follows:
DISCLAIMER: Coronavirus is a broad name for a family of viruses. This patent is NOT for the new COVID-19 virus and The Pirbright Institute does not currently work with human coronaviruses. If you share this patent online, be aware you are in fact sharing a separate patent for avian infectious bronchitis virus and porcine delta-coronavirus. This is not a patent for the new COVID-19 virus.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
(CNN)A new "unknown pneumonia" that is potentially deadlier than the novel coronavirus has reportedly killed more than 1,700 people this year in the Central Asian country of Kazakhstan, according to a warning issued by Chinese officials Thursday.
"Kazakhstani Health Department and other agencies are conducting comparative research and have not defined the nature of the pneumonia virus," said the Chinese Embassy in Kazakhstan in a statement to its citizens there.
New cases of the unidentified pneumonia have been increasing significantly since mid-June across the country, said the embassy, adding that in some places, authorities are reporting hundreds of new cases a day.
The rise has so far been concentrated in the regions of Atyrau, Aktobe and Shymkent, which together have almost 500 new cases and more than 30 critically ill patients, said the embassy statement, citing local media.

The disease has killed 1,772 people this year, some of whom were Chinese citizens, according to the embassy. 628 of those deaths took place in June alone. "This disease is much deadlier than Covid-19," said the statement.

_98747875_002563998-2.jpg

2020: 49k dead first 6 months.

Between, 44-46K dead for the first six months.

Adjust for population each year, and you get what?

Looking at the first 6 months is deliberately skewing the figures. The first death of covid in Sweden was March 10th so if you take the time before that, when 2015 had a more serious flu outbreak with 10% more deaths then in 2020, you start with a big difference already. The last week of June also had incomplete stats due to delays in reporting which obviously are not there for 2015 numbers. You also ignore the 'unknown date of death' line at the end which for some reason went from 960 in 2015 to 2000+ in all the years after that. Oh, and there is an extra day in 2020 in February 29th, that's 250 more deaths.

If you compare the numbers for March 10th to June 15th and count half of the unkowns for 2020 and 2015 you end up at 24957 against 29376 deaths or an increase of 17,7% in deaths. That's a serious increase far outside normal fluctiations.

pLow7

Looking at the first 6 months is deliberately skewing the figures. The first death of covid in Sweden was March 10th so if you take the time before that, when 2015 had a more serious flu outbreak with 10% more deaths then in 2020, you start with a big difference already. The last week of June also had incomplete stats due to delays in reporting which obviously are not there for 2015 numbers. You also ignore the 'unknown date of death' line at the end which for some reason went from 960 in 2015 to 2000+ in all the years after that. Oh, and there is an extra day in 2020 in February 29th, that's 250 more deaths.

If you compare the numbers for March 10th to June 15th and count half of the unkowns for 2020 and 2015 you end up at 24957 against 29376 deaths or an increase of 17,7% in deaths. That's a serious increase far outside normal fluctiations.

Thank you.

Liljagare

Influensa rapport 2015

Sweden had no overmortality in 2015 either.

There are also 500K more inhabitants in 2020. Januari 2000 had more dead than 2015.

Norway, that did everything right now has a higher R number than Sweden, btw.

Last edited:

Norway, that did everything right now has a higher R number than Sweden, btw.

Is that what the article from 3 months ago claims ? In any case, I'd say Norway is still doing a lot better.

If Sweden has 5,000 people infecting 4,999 new ones every day and Norway has 2 people infecting 3 every day Norway's R number is higher.What if I give you 1 dollar for each death in Norway per million and you give me back 1 for each in Sweden. You'd come out way ahead as Sweden is doing so well !

Last edited:
I live in what is supposedly one of the biggest Coronavirus hotspots on the planet. By some accounts, the biggest hotspot of all. Yet, to this day, I don't know a single person with Coronavirus, and none of the people I talk to in my private and work life knows anyone with Coronavirus. Even stranger, I haven't talked to any strangers at the park, work, grocery store who claims to have known anyone who has gotten Coronavirus. Not one story of what it is like or how long it took to beat. Every instance of Coronavirus I have heard of has come from my TV and internet.

What are the chances?

segasonic

I live in what is supposedly one of the biggest Coronavirus hotspots on the planet. By some accounts, the biggest hotspot of all. Yet, to this day, I don't know a single person with Coronavirus, and none of the people I talk to in my private and work life knows anyone with Coronavirus. Even stranger, I haven't talked to any strangers at the park, work, grocery store who claims to have known anyone who has gotten Coronavirus. Not one story of what it is like or how long it took to beat. Every instance of Coronavirus I have heard of has come from my TV and internet.

What are the chances?
The answer is obvious. There is no coronavirus. It is all a conspiracy by liberals and fake media to defeat Donald Trump.

amidoinitrite?

Joe T.

The answer is obvious. There is no coronavirus. It is all a conspiracy by liberals and fake media to defeat Donald Trump.

amidoinitrite?

Replace liberals with globalists.

It's not just Trump they're after, it's nationalists and anyone that won't follow their plans. Notice how Sweden gets singled out as a cautionary tale (source: NYT) for their pandemic response even though they're doing relatively well now? Brazil/Bolsonaro's another that has been torched in the media around the world. If they were doing so poorly why the need to run fake stories and omit/twist the facts so much that they no longer resemble the truth? It should get your noggin working.

An independent press works as a pillar of democracy and that pillar is broken, weakened over decades by conflicts of interest and corruption. Google and Facebook gobbled up most of the advertising money over the last decade so news outlets will take it wherever they can find it today. Seattle Times wrote a good article on how much influence Bill Gates had in media back in 2011 and he's amassed a great deal more money/power in the years since. Notice how much coverage Bill got during this pandemic, like this CNN interview where he can't prevent himself from laughing as he's told the economy would take a long time to recover (5:24 timestamp)?

The US saw large gatherings/protests for about a month straight, but anyone taking a look at case spikes from around the country will notice that New York and New Jersey were immune. Why is that? It's not because the southern and western state protesters weren't wearing masks or because they all re-opened sooner. Two words that have apparently become taboo are a major part of it and logic would dictate that it would become a factor in those two states before all others.

There's no conspiracy theory here, it's just hard facts and uncomfortable truths that should get people thinking.

CloudNull

Banned

We having fun yet
Jheu315.png

Curve still looks flat to me. The other two states have similar trends. Also death per million for each state is under 200 and nowhere near the 1500 from New York who wrecked the Assisted Living. Better lock down the states again.... maybe get the curve even flatter to the point where it is smooth.... it is possible I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom