• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything is fine we The Netherlands are in regions in the 2nd wave ! Here in my rural part we also have more infected than last week, hell than whole of the summer, but when they came back from vacation abroad it set things in motion. small clusters all over town. More worse than March.

The government is imposing new rules in the big cities only, if they don't we have more than 10k positives in about 3 weeks every day. And not enough icu spots.

Good going anti corona idiots! Party on! Party hard.
That’s interesting. Sweden seems pretty happy now. You don’t though :pie_thinking:

prag16

Banned
Coronavirus: constantly surprising virus found to be heat tolerant, self-healing and very resilient in lab tests

• Hungarian team finds virus particle withstands being probed by a nano needle 100 times, possibly making it the most physically elastic virus known
    • French scientists find it can replicate in animal cells after being exposed to temperatures of 60 degrees Celsius for an hour

Coronavirus: constantly surprising virus found to be heat tolerant, self-healing and very resilient in lab tests

• Hungarian team finds virus particle withstands being probed by a nano needle 100 times, possibly making it the most physically elastic virus known
    • French scientists find it can replicate in animal cells after being exposed to temperatures of 60 degrees Celsius for an hour

A research team in Hungary pinched the
coronavirus
with a fine needle to measure how much force it could take before popping like a balloon.
It did not.
The native virion of Sars-CoV-2 – a complete virus particle – was only about 80 nanometres wide, and the needle tip was much smaller than that. The tip drove from the top of the virus to the bottom. The virion was squashed, then immediately rebounded as the needle left.
The researchers repeated the drill 100 times and the same viral particle remained almost intact.

It is “surprisingly resilient,” said the team led by Dr Miklos Kellermayer of Semmelweis University in Budapest in a non-peer-reviewed paper posted on biorxiv.org Thursday.
Scientists from the Semmelweis University in Budapest pinched the coronavirus with nano needle. Credit: Dr Miklos Kellermayer
The new coronavirus has constantly surprised scientists with its unique structure. For instance, a team from Tsinghua University in Beijing released the most detailed structural reconstruction of the virus in the journal Cell this week with the discovery that the virus could pile a large amount of nucleic acid ribbon that carries genetic data into a very tight envelope without becoming tangled with each other.

Advertisement
However, the virus used in this and other previous studies was frozen to obtain a sharp, stable shot for the camera.

Coronavirus science latest: vaccines, treatments, reinfection and research
21 May 2020

Kellermayer’s team captured how the virus behaved when it was alive. They put the viral particles on a tray coated with a biological binding material.
EVERY OTHER SATURDAY
SCMP Global Impact Newsletter
By submitting, you consent to receiving marketing emails from SCMP. If you don't want these, tick here

The material could fix the virus in position. Under a laser-emitting atomic force microscope, the scientists played around with the virus with a needle to see how it responded to various stimuli.

A virus usually becomes vulnerable after leaving the host. But, according to some studies, Sars-CoV-2 could stay on some everyday surfaces such as cupboards for several days.

How it managed to survive environmental disturbances remained unclear.

Chinese researchers to test double doses of CanSino’s coronavirus vaccine candidate
Read more
‘Artificial coronavirus’ study linked to Bannon and Chinese fugitive

Read more
Scientists find pandemic-flu collision doubles Covid-19 transmission

Read more
Headaches and delirium: coronavirus can invade brain, study says

Read more
Coronavirus immunity short-lived if you had mild or no symptoms: study

The Hungarian team found the viral envelope barely gave any resistance as the needle tip landed on the surface. As the tip went further, the resisting force peaked and then quickly diminished to almost non-existent.
Their experimental data suggested Sars-Cov-2 could be the most physically elastic virus ever known to humans so far, and repeated deformation did not seem to affect the overall structure and the content inside the virus, either.

“Its mechanical and self-healing properties may ensure adaptation to a wide range of environmental circumstances,” said Kellermayer and colleagues.

Covid-19: our explanatory graphics collection
Chinese scientists estimated that Sars-CoV-2 had on its surface 26
spike proteins
that could bind with a host cell. Researchers at Cambridge University in Britain gave a similar estimate of 24. A study by researchers in the Max Planck Institute in Germany came up with a count of 40.

Kellermayer said there were 61 spikes on their specimen. This suggested the variability of the viral structure could be greater than thought, they said.

They poked the spike proteins with the needle and found they were swinging rapidly at high frequency. The atomic camera could take more than 300 shots in a second but still only got a motion-blurred image of the spikes.
Such high speed movements could help the virus more easily find and hook on to a host cell, according to the researchers.

A study by French scientists in April
found that the virus could replicate in animal cells after being exposed to a temperature of 60 degrees Celsius for an hour. The massive outbreaks in some countries over the northern hemisphere summer also suggested that high temperature did not slow the spread of the pandemic as previously hoped.

Kellermayer and his colleagues heated the viral particle to 90 degrees for 10 minutes and found that “remarkably, their global appearance was only slightly altered”.
Some spikes had come off under the scorching heat, but the overall structure remained intact.

“The Sars-CoV-2 virion displays an unexpected global thermal stability, which is likely related to their aerosol and surface stabilities,” they said.
https://www.scmp.com/topics/coronavirus-china
Are you a bot? A COVID alarmist bot?

Airbus Jr

Banned
Just dropping in a bunch of half baked alarmist shit full of rampant speculation like a turd in the sun, with no commentary. Who could blame me for viewing that as bot-like.

I show you some expert medical asesment and in depth analysis from scientist from Hungary and France

And this is the best comeback you got?

"Just dropping in a bunch of half baked alarmist shit full of rampant speculation like a turd in the sun"

Seriously?

I thought this page is dedicated to discuss anything about covid 19

Whats the point talking if you keep shut everyone down

Last edited:

Joe T.

What do you mean?

I dont like someone accusing me like that

I had the same impression as he did. There were a few reasons for it with that post like how it was a quick and dirty copy/paste with extra large font, but the one that stuck out was the edit that cut out: "Why you can trust SCMP"
tenor.gif

There's an ugly relationship between the press and government here that makes it so the questions they ask today will give you a good indication of what the government will soon put in place, basically softening the public up for what's to come. The deputy premier here today held a briefing with some law enforcement officials to state that they'd be visiting about a thousand bars and restaurants around Quebec this weekend to ensure everyone's following guidelines and they were evasive when asked a variety of questions about it.

Also a lot of talk about going into people's homes to break up gatherings of 10 or more and how there's going to be a gradual move to give police more powers if we move up to an orange or red zone, which the public health director practically guaranteed already. At least two reporters made it a point to ask what they would do against the anti-lockdown/mask protests and they said they'd be looking at that, too. Who needs democracy? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cryptoadam

Banned
How come no one is asking the most important question?

Where did these lock down ideas come from? Never in our lifetimes did we do lockdowns. You want to go back to 1918 (I don't even think they did lockdowns then) fine none of us were alive back then. All other diseases no lock downs. Honk Kong flu, Ebola, Zeka, AIDS, SARS, MERS, no lockdowns.

1 year ago if you told people that the world would have forced lockdowns you would of been looked at as crazy. This was not something that anyone one entertained (At least in the west). Even Cuomo himself in late March called Lockdowns illegal and said only tyranical China does lockdowns.

Yet somehow this idea of mass lockdowns and a police state became popular, pretty much overnight.

Maybe thats the million dollar question. We went from everyone being horrified with China welding people into their homes and arresting people for posting on the internet, to well the only solution is to copy China.

The only thing that we should of copied from China was they never counted asymptomatic cases.

prag16

Banned

Where did these lock down ideas come from? Never in our lifetimes did we do lockdowns. You want to go back to 1918 (I don't even think they did lockdowns then) fine none of us were alive back then. All other diseases no lock downs. Honk Kong flu, Ebola, Zeka, AIDS, SARS, MERS, no lockdowns.

1 year ago if you told people that the world would have forced lockdowns you would of been looked at as crazy. This was not something that anyone one entertained (At least in the west). Even Cuomo himself in late March called Lockdowns illegal and said only tyranical China does lockdowns.

Yet somehow this idea of mass lockdowns and a police state became popular, pretty much overnight.

Maybe thats the million dollar question. We went from everyone being horrified with China welding people into their homes and arresting people for posting on the internet, to well the only solution is to copy China.

The only thing that we should of copied from China was they never counted asymptomatic cases.
This. Now you have clowns like sinnergy (and the entire mainstream) nodding along knowingly as if all this is old hand, as if this is all obvious and has always been obvious, that you need to lock down, watch the R0 like a hawk, mitigation mitigation etc etc etc as if this is all totally normal and reasonable. Last year this time you would have been thrown in a looney bin talking this way even hypothetically.

Joe T.

I'll go one further, instead of pushing everyone to get tested we shouldn't test anyone at all unless they have to be submitted to a hospital room. If they come back positive you inform their contacts and life goes on. Those with symptoms act responsibly. Can practically guarantee you life would return to normal within a couple of weeks, no one would be in a state of panic because of a light cough or mild headache anymore.

LCN today made a big deal about how some Quebec hospitals were already over capacity, some over 150% - alarmist trash intended to scare people. There are a reported 136 people receiving hospital treatment with 30 in ICU across the entire province, both numbers barely having moved much in the last couple of months.

Last edited:

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Maybe probably a Covid cure:

TLDR: 50 of 76 patients admitted to hospital in Cordoba, Spain were dosed with Vitamin D alongside hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin. Among those 50, there was 1 ICU admission and 0 deaths. Among the 26 that were treated with only hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, 13 were admitted to ICU and 2 died. Wrap it up, this disease is (probably mostly) done.

Cracklox

I had the same impression as he did. There were a few reasons for it with that post like how it was a quick and dirty copy/paste with extra large font, but the one that stuck out was the edit that cut out: "Why you can trust SCMP"
tenor.gif

There's an ugly relationship between the press and government here that makes it so the questions they ask today will give you a good indication of what the government will soon put in place, basically softening the public up for what's to come. The deputy premier here today held a briefing with some law enforcement officials to state that they'd be visiting about a thousand bars and restaurants around Quebec this weekend to ensure everyone's following guidelines and they were evasive when asked a variety of questions about it.

Also a lot of talk about going into people's homes to break up gatherings of 10 or more and how there's going to be a gradual move to give police more powers if we move up to an orange or red zone, which the public health director practically guaranteed already. At least two reporters made it a point to ask what they would do against the anti-lockdown/mask protests and they said they'd be looking at that, too. Who needs democracy? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not to be that guy to spread the scares, but... I'd be a little worried. A lot of what you say is eerily familiar to what went on here in Aus. And now we're living under practical martial law, with a power mad dictator authorizing the police to have way to much power. I'm sure you've seen whats happening here.

At this point, I honestly don't know if it's a case of politicians being to stubborn to back down and admit they're wrong about the bullshit they put in place, or if there's something more sinister going on. I don't fucking want to, but I'm starting to lean towards the latter...

Not to be that guy to spread the scares, but... I'd be a little worried. A lot of what you say is eerily familiar to what went on here in Aus. And now we're living under practical martial law, with a power mad dictator authorizing the police to have way to much power. I'm sure you've seen whats happening here.

At this point, I honestly don't know if it's a case of politicians being to stubborn to back down and admit they're wrong about the bullshit they put in place, or if there's something more sinister going on. I don't fucking want to, but I'm starting to lean towards the latter...
Something strange is happening. The political class is trying to seize as much power as they can get away with. This stopped being about the disease or the data months and months ago. There are forcing people at almost zero risk to destroy their livelihoods. It makes no sense.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

China posturing and showing their strength to deceive other nations was on the table from the start, but it implied that COVID wasn't as bad as our politicians and WHO were telling us, so the idea was quickly shouted down and dismissed.

If Russiagate is any indication, we're going to deal with several years of people needing to "deprogram" from all the lies and contradictions fed to us during this hysteria. I don't even know if a 9/11 Commission-style investigation and public report would do us any good.

Cracklox

Something strange is happening. The political class is trying to seize as much power as they can get away with. This stopped being about the disease or the data months and months ago. There are placing forcing people at almost zero risk to destroy their livelihoods. It makes no sense.

Godammit. You were supposed to reinforce my naivety that I'm desperately clutching to.

He says as he's led to the Gulag

sinnergy

This. Now you have clowns like sinnergy (and the entire mainstream) nodding along knowingly as if all this is old hand, as if this is all obvious and has always been obvious, that you need to lock down, watch the R0 like a hawk, mitigation mitigation etc etc etc as if this is all totally normal and reasonable. Last year this time you would have been thrown in a looney bin talking this way even hypothetically.
See you in fall 🤣🤧 I was the only clown of a group of 20 that saw it coming like a shit storm here in January, when I told them to see if they could cancel their vacations for the summer because this wouldn’t end well ...

They laughed , but lost all their money 🤣😎 and some couldn’t work because the were in a risk group .

But I guess for some it’s better to pretend the virus isn’t here .

Being a clown 🤡 feels good .

I suggest if you can’t face reality to look for professional help .

In the mean time stay save , wash your hands often , stay away from crowds and sneeze in your elbows !

May health be with you .

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Anyone who still thinks this is about the virus, or that we are being hysterical, or that we should just shut up, wear the fucking mask, and do as we are told, please read this with an open mind.

They laughed , but lost all their money 🤣😎 and some couldn’t work because the were in a risk group .

Pretty shitty, here we were able to change our vacation plans for free in virtually all instances.

prag16

Banned

Getting closer to T-Cell and cross immunity
Looks like they're already doing damage control on the T cell angle: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...n-why-covid-19-strikes-some-hard-particularly

TL;DR "well maybe there's widespread T cell immunity already out there BUT IT MAY ACTUALLY MAKE THINGS WORSE FOR SOME PEOPLE SO STILL STAY FRIGHTENED EVERYBODY TRUST US."

Chittagong

Gold Member
I’m returning to London in two weeks, just in time to witness the city go full retard again

why would you open the pubs, subsidise fucking restaurant mayhem, tell people to return to offices to save the high street and then be surprised that infections go up and tell people to stay home again

Last edited:
I’m returning to London in two weeks, just in time to witness the city go full retard again

why would you open the pubs, subsidise fucking restaurant mayhem, tell people to return to offices to save the high street and then be surprised that infections go up and tell people to stay home again
Because it’s a fucking scam. We have a bunch of little wannabe tyrants all trying to see how much bullshit they can get away with.

sinnergy

In my home town we now have more infected people on 10k than Amsterdam, and we are rural it all went pretty fast since a couple of day’s , my wife is ordered to work from home again .

Just shows this virus is no joke .

Hulk_Smash

Banned
See you in fall 🤣🤧 I was the only clown of a group of 20 that saw it coming like a shit storm here in January, when I told them to see if they could cancel their vacations for the summer because this wouldn’t end well ...

But I guess for some it’s better to pretend the virus isn’t here .

Being a clown 🤡 feels good .

I suggest if you can’t face reality to look for professional help .

In the mean time stay save , wash your hands often , stay away from crowds and sneeze in your elbows !

May health be with you .

You saw what coming? The lockdowns? If so, hat's off to you. If it's the virus you're talking about- you feel GOOD about people losing their money? You feel GOOD about hundreds of millions of people losing their jobs over a disease that kills less than 1% of the people it infects? If you do, you're not a clown, you're an asshole.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Getting closer to T-Cell and cross immunity

A man of culture I see. The Spectator is a good read, always offers interesting takes on things and I think here they’re bang on.

There are forcing people at almost zero risk to destroy their livelihoods. It makes no sense.
below

I think the problem is to quell global oil demand, diminishing economic activity as part of a pandemic is far less alarming than what would happen if demand increased and oil supply couldn't support it.

If we found out oil can't increase significantly any more and all growing economies can't continue to grow, effectively making it known we're in for global austerity, the market collapse would be catastrophic.

Now we just say there's a glut of oil and very low prices, and no one's the wiser. Relatively minor economic downturn compared to the apocalypse that a peak oil confirmation would bring.

People can be forced into austerity, and fight it, but if you have a pandemic to justify less economic activity that sleight of hand is far more palatable.

But the virus is the real deal, it probably was purposely released(perhaps with international agreement), to lower economic activity on a global scale.

edit:
This just in: John Hess, CEO of Hess Corporation, told his audience that “key U.S. shale fields are starting to plateau” and will not the next Saudi Arabia. U.S. shale oil production has been a major driver in the growth of world oil supplies. Last year the United States accounted for 98% of global growth in oil production. Since 2008 the number is 73%. so a slowdown or decline in U.S. oil production growth would mean trouble for the whole world. With 81 percent of global oil production now in decline, even a plateau in U.S. production would likely result in a worldwide decline (Kobb 2020).

Maybe probably a Covid cure:

TLDR: 50 of 76 patients admitted to hospital in Cordoba, Spain were dosed with Vitamin D alongside hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin. Among those 50, there was 1 ICU admission and 0 deaths. Among the 26 that were treated with only hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, 13 were admitted to ICU and 2 died. Wrap it up, this disease is (probably mostly) done.

The problem is first it appears to cause long term multiorgan damage even in asymptomatic and relatively asymptomatic patients. Second the disease can hide in immune privileged sites like the testes, the eyes and the nervous system, this could potentially allow it to lie dormant for months or maybe even years before producing a second outbreak. More data is needed to assess the long term outcomes and consequences of it.

Last edited:

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
The problem is first it appears to cause long term multiorgan damage even in asymptomatic and relatively asymptomatic patients. Second the disease can hide in immune privileged sites like the testes, the eyes and the nervous system, this could potentially allow it to lie dormant for months or maybe even years before producing a second outbreak. More data is needed to assess the long term outcomes and consequences of it.

That's speculative at this point and borders on fear-mongering. There is no proof that this is anything more than a mild illness or even a non-event for the vast majority of people who are exposed.

That's speculative at this point and borders on fear-mongering. There is no proof that this is anything more than a mild illness or even a non-event for the vast majority of people who are exposed.
There is evidence for what seems like permanent damage in a good chunk of the infected from some studies. So it is not speculation. Will the damage recover long term? Maybe.

cryptoadam

Banned
below

I think the problem is to quell global oil demand, diminishing economic activity as part of a pandemic is far less alarming than what would happen if demand increased and oil supply couldn't support it.

If we found out oil can't increase significantly any more and all growing economies can't continue to grow, effectively making it known we're in for global austerity, the market collapse would be catastrophic.

Now we just say there's a glut of oil and very low prices, and no one's the wiser. Relatively minor economic downturn compared to the apocalypse that a peak oil confirmation would bring.

People can be forced into austerity, and fight it, but if you have a pandemic to justify less economic activity that sleight of hand is far more palatable.

But the virus is the real deal, it probably was purposely released(perhaps with international agreement), to lower economic activity on a global scale.

edit:

I saw a tweet wished i saved it but basically said in Feb 2020 it was clear we were heading to a recession and then BAM COVID hit just in time to cover it up.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
There is evidence for what seems like permanent damage in a good chunk of the infected from some studies. So it is not speculation. Will the damage recover long term? Maybe.

Going to need some sources, because everything I've looked at appears inconclusive. Plus I'd think if this were common, it'd be known by now. Given the massive number of infections and the importance of something like that--the lack of indicators, at this point, says a lot.

sinnergy

You saw what coming? The lockdowns? If so, hat's off to you. If it's the virus you're talking about- you feel GOOD about people losing their money? You feel GOOD about hundreds of millions of people losing their jobs over a disease that kills less than 1% of the people it infects? If you do, you're not a clown, you're an asshole.
Yes ignorant people or people that don’t use their brain and or are not following the rules are in for a rude awakening 🤣 Conspiracy theorists for one 🤡🤪 Better a asshole than a idiot , I am steering my family right out of Covid 🤡

It’s the virus btw that’s doing this all , not the Illuminati.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Why ? On this scale ? The world is to connected now by travel .

Second they actually did , the choice 1 that was gate keeper and laid a ring of fire around the town so that people could not leave Or enter. And those were the Middle Ages ... see lock downs have a history, but you guys can’t accept what’s happening now , with this virus .

And blame everything and everyone accept the virus , which clearly is the cause , because before Covid we all could party ...

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Yes ignorant people or people that don’t use their brain and or are not following the rules are in for a rude awakening 🤣 Conspiracy theorists for one 🤡🤪 Better a asshole than a idiot , I am steering my family right out of Covid 🤡

It’s the virus btw that’s doing this all , not the Illuminati.

So, asshole it is, then. Got it.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Renewed lockdown begging circulating in UK media.

As to where the lockdown idea came from:

1. China and its government propaganda organs

2. the public health bureaucracy that did not exist in 1918

3. media that feeds on fear and worst case scenarios

Chittagong

Gold Member
Renewed lockdown begging circulating in UK media.

As to where the lockdown idea came from:

1. China and its government propaganda organs

2. the public health bureaucracy that did not exist in 1918

3. media that feeds on fear and worst case scenarios

It's definitely happening at this point. And once again, based on pretty wild worst case projections.

I don't really mind it, but what I do not understand is the back and forth between go-to-office-to-save-pret-and-uppercrust and lock-the-fuck-down.

Like surely there would be a more sensible middle ground where WFH would be highly recommended to reduce infections from offieces and transport, and pubs would close early to prevent late night mayhem. I would even take 8PM closures to curb the growth.

Jezbollah

My friend just sent me this:

m0yr82jaugo51.jpg

I think it summarises this up well.

The vast majority are paying for those who seem to think the safeguarding measures don't apply to them. The thick cunts.

sinnergy

My friend just sent me this:

m0yr82jaugo51.jpg

I think it summarises this up well.

The vast majority are paying for those who seem to think the safeguarding measures don't apply to them. The thick cunts.
Yup , but it’s not the virus fault it’s the governments , that want to take freedoms away 🤣 in the mean time if we keep this up together we will be taking our own freedom as measures will be even longer implemented.. This virus doesn’t give a fuck.

The bad thing is cunts are everywhere, my wife’s boss demanded everyone at work, but now his own wife has Covid everyone can work from home 🤣. Advise from government was work from home months ago . But he as boss ignored it and knew better.

He thought it all was a hoax 🤡🤪 they did everything , untouchable.

A nice circle .

So yet again , follow the simple rules , wash your hands until dry as fuck , sneeze in elbow , don’t do parties and crowds , wear a mask when appropriate, work from home when you can.

May health be with you ! Enjoy the sun ☀️ and laugh a little

Best !The clown 🤡

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
BBC continues being surprisingly based, asking the right questions

Covid: Is it time we learnt to live with the virus? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54228649

I've definitely noticed an uptick in quality recently. I'm not sure what to attribute it to but it feels like the wind is starting to blow a different way there. We'll know for sure if they start having fewer "black people are awesome and white men are scum" stories on the front page of course but in the meantime progress is good.

Jezbollah

I've definitely noticed an uptick in quality recently. I'm not sure what to attribute it to but it feels like the wind is starting to blow a different way there. We'll know for sure if they start having fewer "black people are awesome and white men are scum" stories on the front page of course but in the meantime progress is good.

There's a new director general in charge - and he's in a state of panic due to the defundthebbc campaign. I get the feeling they're starting, only slowly right now, to realise that you can either be woke, or be publically funded. Not and.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
There's a new director general in charge - and he's in a state of panic due to the defundthebbc campaign. I get the feeling they're starting, only slowly right now, to realise that you can either be woke, or be publically funded. Not and.

Yeah I've heard about him though I've seen mixed reports in terms of action. I guess that in a way, like Starmer with the Labour Party, he has to take gradual steps to improve things, you can't turn things around rapidly without risking everything falling apart in a huge internal revolt, so one has to make the right noises to keep them happy while slowly turfing the bastards out and tightening the screws - he needs to boil the frog slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom