• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forsete

Gold Member
So like predicted I got the wiruws.

Damn this shit spreads very easily. I barely talked to the guy that day (Wednesday) because he went home early, he said he could feel that is throat was starting to act up.

On sunday I woke up with a sore throat and a mild cold. The sore throat part went away after a few hours but the cold persisted.

My colleague called me that sunday and said his test came back positive, so I ordered one myself.
If I hadn’t known he was positive I would not have tested myself due only to the very mild cold I still had.

A day later I lost my sense of taste and smell, which is still gone. The cold went away 2 days ago.

On Wednesday the test came back positive for me.

So I got a very-very mild version of the coronavirus, so I am very lucky.
This is day 6 so I suppose I am out of the woods by now.

Well I got tested to see if I have any antibodies. I've read that people with mild symptoms doesn't always develop antibodies.

The test I did was sent to a lab and today I got the results.

"IgG-antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 were detected in the sample."

Yay!

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
That doesn't sound absurd to me.
I was in France in summer 2020, on paper it had stricter rules than Germany, but not at all in practice.

It is, of course, problematic, on the other hand, as "do lockdowns help" now becomes an unfalsifiable theory.
It is absurd. Because in the stricter states (like mine), people don't ignore lockdown mandates to the degree of openness that other states currently have. If they're ignoring lockdown mandates and the numbers are bad, then the totally open states should be India levels of Armageddon. But, they're not. Which means lockdowns don't seem to make that much of a difference.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
That is straight up terrifying not going to lie.
Oh awesome. I was wondering where the next stock market boom was headed. Now I know. Time to invest in air ventilation technology.

It must be fun to be in a position of power and manipulate the economy like this. Kind of like knowing ahead of time you'll need to have access to masks for a year.

On the bright side, we can end all indoor social distancing guidelines since they don't fucking work.

Also, keeping people indoors and telling them to "hunker down" seems like a pretty terrible idea after all.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Oh awesome. I was wondering where the next stock market boom was headed. Now I know. Time to invest in air ventilation technology.

It must be fun to be in a position of power and manipulate the economy like this. Kind of like knowing ahead of time you'll need to have access to masks for a year.

On the bright side, we can end all indoor social distancing guidelines since they don't fucking work.

Also, keeping people indoors and telling them to "hunker down" seems like a pretty terrible idea after all.
How in the fuck did you get everything that you just typed in that post out of that single sentence that I typed?

Are you okay?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So I am finally healthy and I want to wrote few of my findings. Despite main danger in media is always said to be Covid, your body (even mine with tons of immunity- suppressants) destroy it fast. However before your body destroy this Wu-Flu it completely fucks your balance of in your body, so that basically means that you get anything which is sort of hidden inside you as a disease. I got Pneumonia (not Covid one, but caused by bacteria, so anti-biotics.....a lot of them), then my kidneys almost stopped working and on the to of that, I got some allergy back in my 15 which was some light asthma and now I was coughing same way and it was hell.

So yeah I got into hospital, no fever just feeling like shit. So beware, I am 100% certain that really healthy person beat this virus in a matter of days, but if you have anything which is waiting to be activated, you are in for a motherfucking ride.

So my advice is protect yourself, take the D vitamin (which somewhat works against this virus) and since you probably are not clinical examined to a degree to find your hidden issues, you really don't know what this Chinese virus expose and activate in you.

Also your symptoms may wary dramatically, when I was laying in hospital I was talking with few people and no one had symptoms like they are described by CDC or in my case Google. One was admitted to hospital because of supposed heart attack (which he didn't have) other one stopped hearing and third one have massive back pain. All of them have Covid and basic medicine solved it.

So all in all this is really shitty virus and it's dangerous in way which probably no virus is.

STAY SAFE

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Anybody thought that social distancing indoors would help at all? Imagine being that dumb lol. Air ventilation is also not going to work even remotely in your own house as u still touch everything.

And no its not a bad idea at all to stay indoors, for the simple reason u will get it anyway at your home and spread it like wildfire everywhere else. It's a really good idea to do this.

GamingKaiju

India is still getting ravaged by the double mutation variant they’ve had just over a million cases alone in the past 3 days 😳 that’s a dangerous variant to cause such alarming amount of cases and to think the U.K. government only just put them on the red list starting from yesterday 🙄

If that variant starts spreading outside of India and our vaccines fail to combat it effectively we are back to square 1 with this disease.

Funny thing my friend is due to go back soon and she asked me if I think we are done with lockdowns and I just bluntly said nope this disease is not done with us yet.

FireFly

It is absurd. Because in the stricter states (like mine), people don't ignore lockdown mandates to the degree of openness that other states currently have. If they're ignoring lockdown mandates and the numbers are bad, then the totally open states should be India levels of Armageddon. But, they're not. Which means lockdowns don't seem to make that much of a difference.
If the transmission rate R is above 1, then you're going to get a crazy explosion in cases. And if the transmission rate is below 1 then cases will fall off rapidly. So any intervention that reduces the transmission rate but keeps it above 1, is not going to make a long term difference. Equally, if the transmission rate is below 1, then any intervention that reduces it further doesn't change the trajectory of the virus. The only time you get a big difference is when the intervention prevents R from going above 1. And that could be the difference between 1 and 1.01. So if a lockdown can reduce the transmission rate by 5% say, then it could make a massive difference when R > 1 < 1.05, but not at any other point.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

If this all ends up confirmed (it all sounds plausible and hey, it's a MIT study), I wonder how this will influence additional changes. Possibly another bill to assist businesses with acquiring effective air circulation and filtration systems.

Also, after reading that, even after I receive my second dose I think I'll continue to only eat outside at restaurants for another few months. I'll also be using the grocery pickup services at my grocer because that is really the only kind of business I spend more than five minutes inside these days. When I took my car in for scheduled maintenance last week I took a look around the waiting room at my dealer, and while it's very large and allows everyone to easily distance over six feet, I was like "Nah, I'll go wait outside in the zen garden or whatever" (BMW dealer).

Hulk_Smash

Banned
If the transmission rate R is above 1, then you're going to get a crazy explosion in cases. And if the transmission rate is below 1 then cases will fall off rapidly. So any intervention that reduces the transmission rate but keeps it above 1, is not going to make a long term difference. Equally, if the transmission rate is below 1, then any intervention that reduces it further doesn't change the trajectory of the virus. The only time you get a big difference is when the intervention prevents R from going above 1. And that could be the difference between 1 and 1.01. So if a lockdown can reduce the transmission rate by 5% say, then it could make a massive difference when R > 1 < 1.05, but not at any other point.
lisa simpson GIF

I’m going to pretend I understood you.

Edit: I’m pretty sure I understood what you meant. The strict phase one lockdown everyone went through last spring did result in cases going down. But no one is going to do that for a year. So even if it did make a difference, you cannot keep an entire state or country in continual lockdown. You just can’t.

Last edited:

ManaByte

lisa simpson GIF

I’m going to pretend I understood you.

Edit: I’m pretty sure I understood what you meant. The strict phase one lockdown everyone went through last spring did result in cases going down. But no one is going to do that for a year. So even if it did make a difference, you cannot keep an entire state or country in continual lockdown. You just can’t.

You'll be surprised at the people (even here) that'll argue that you can and that we must.

You're already seeing people even here saying to stay in lockdown and act like nothing changed even when fully vaccinated.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
You'll be surprised at the people (even here) that'll argue that you can and that we must.

You're already seeing people even here saying to stay in lockdown and act like nothing changed even when fully vaccinated.
Those people have nothing to lose. They’re introverts or they work from home or they’re on the gov dime and they give dont a shit about other people, especially nursing home people who are starved for affection.

Last edited:

decisions

New report out of Israel investigating a link between second Pfizer dose and myocarditis, which may have killed two people. Most of the cases are men 18-30.

Just got my first Pfizer dose yesterday and I gotta say this makes me worried as someone in that age group.

Guess we’ll see how this develops.

India is still getting ravaged by the double mutation variant they’ve had just over a million cases alone in the past 3 days 😳 that’s a dangerous variant to cause such alarming amount of cases and to think the U.K. government only just put them on the red list starting from yesterday 🙄

If that variant starts spreading outside of India and our vaccines fail to combat it effectively we are back to square 1 with this disease.

Funny thing my friend is due to go back soon and she asked me if I think we are done with lockdowns and I just bluntly said nope this disease is not done with us yet.
Relax. Our vaccines do combat it. We're not going back to square one.

decisions

62 cases out of 5 million. lets not get too jumpy.

.0000124% I think.

Wasn't J&J pulled for less? That reasoning is (# of people who had myocarditis after getting Pfizer) / (# of people vaccinated in Israel). Since I am a man in the 18-30 age group, I am more concerned with knowing the value of (# of people who had myocarditis after getting Pfizer aged 18-30) / (# of people vaccinated w/ Pfizer aged 18-30), which we do not know, and which may be significantly higher.

Sure it's not going to be likely that you'll get myocarditis from getting the Pfizer vaccine if you are in that age group, but it may be a number worth causing some concern.

Last edited:
Wasn't J&J pulled for less? That reasoning is (# of people who had myocarditis after getting Pfizer) / (# of people vaccinated in Israel). Since I am a man in the 18-30 age group, I am more concerned with knowing the value of (# of people who had myocarditis after getting Pfizer aged 18-30) / (# of people vaccinated w/ Pfizer aged 18-30), which we do not know, and which may be significantly higher.

Sure it's not going to be likely that you'll get myocarditis from getting the Pfizer vaccine if you are in that age group, but it may be a number worth causing some concern.
.0000124 doesn't concern me and it shouldn't concern you.

Bluntman

The government here in Hungary started lifting restrictions. Yesterday pubs / restaurants could open outdoors for the first time in months.

We got a piece of our lives back and hoooollly shit people have been waiting for it :D whole Budapest became a one piece party city, people started drinking in the morning and didn't stop.

1619297970-temp-enbfph-20210424-720-0-90-cr.jpg

1619298034-temp-bmpnhp-20210424-720-0-90-cr.jpg

1619298072-temp-gcjafm-20210424-720-0-90-cr.jpg

1619298084-temp-cdkbom-20210424-720-0-90-cr.jpg

1619298101-temp-cdpkha-20210424-720-0-90-cr.jpg

1619298371-temp-iapled-20210424-720-0-90-cr.jpg

Last edited:

Jezbollah

Fair points, but you still will have a clear gap between percentages even if you factor worst case scenarios for both.

Taking the vaccine is the safer option.

Last edited:

segasonic

The government here in Hungary started lifting restrictions. Yesterday pubs / restaurants could open outdoors for the first time in months.

We got a piece of our lives back and hoooollly shit people have been waiting for it :D whole Budapest became a one piece party city, people started drinking in the morning and didn't stop.

1619297970-temp-enbfph-20210424-720-0-90-cr.jpg

1619298034-temp-bmpnhp-20210424-720-0-90-cr.jpg

1619298072-temp-gcjafm-20210424-720-0-90-cr.jpg

1619298084-temp-cdkbom-20210424-720-0-90-cr.jpg

1619298101-temp-cdpkha-20210424-720-0-90-cr.jpg

1619298371-temp-iapled-20210424-720-0-90-cr.jpg
This is stupid. None of these people are vaccinated. You are creating the next wave which will kill thousands more.

Bluntman

This is stupid. None of these people are vaccinated. You are creating the next wave which will kill thousands more.

I sort of agree but we are close to 4 million vaccinated + 500k who got the virus officially (unoffically around 2 million) so thats around 6 million of 8 million adults (10 million total population) who are kinda immunised.

Last edited:
So I am finally healthy and I want to wrote few of my findings. Despite main danger in media is always said to be Covid, your body (even mine with tons of immunity- suppressants) destroy it fast. However before your body destroy this Wu-Flu it completely fucks your balance of in your body, so that basically means that you get anything which is sort of hidden inside you as a disease. I got Pneumonia (not Covid one, but caused by bacteria, so anti-biotics.....a lot of them), then my kidneys almost stopped working and on the to of that, I got some allergy back in my 15 which was some light asthma and now I was coughing same way and it was hell.

So yeah I got into hospital, no fever just feeling like shit. So beware, I am 100% certain that really healthy person beat this virus in a matter of days, but if you have anything which is waiting to be activated, you are in for a motherfucking ride.

So my advice is protect yourself, take the D vitamin (which somewhat works against this virus) and since you probably are not clinical examined to a degree to find your hidden issues, you really don't know what this Chinese virus expose and activate in you.

Also your symptoms may wary dramatically, when I was laying in hospital I was talking with few people and no one had symptoms like they are described by CDC or in my case Google. One was admitted to hospital because of supposed heart attack (which he didn't have) other one stopped hearing and third one have massive back pain. All of them have Covid and basic medicine solved it.

So all in all this is really shitty virus and it's dangerous in way which probably no virus is.

STAY SAFE
Another battle you win! I'm glad you're ok :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

tomorrow is a big day.

pubs, restaurants, cafes, hair dressers, shops, gyms, swimming, museums, libraries will repon. will be able to travel to the rest of the country. and shielders will be back at work.

i'm excited for going back to swimming! work will be much busier now as it's only been the bare minimum of people turning up. i hope everything goes well. would be a kick in the ass if we had to go into another lockdown. i hope this is the beginning of the end.

i'll be getting my second vaccine (oxford/astra :messenger_confounded:) in a couple weeks.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
Getting my second Moderna shot in two weeks. Will still mask up and distance when possible for the foreseeable future. Hopefully many of the obstinate and fearful will decide to get one.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Getting my second Moderna shot in two weeks. Will still mask up and distance when possible for the foreseeable future. Hopefully many of the obstinate and fearful will decide to get one.
Nope. Good for you though. Maybe one day you’ll take the mask off. I took the mask off weeks ago. Never going back.

Last edited:
So far everything gone very smoothly with minimal pushback, surprisingly.

Next step is the release of multiple times deadlier covid strand. [right after lockdown is lifted !]

Stay extra safe after lockdown fellow Gafners.

longdi

Banned

Throat spray and hydroxychloroquine found to reduce risk of Covid-19 infection S'pore study :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SINGAPORE - Using a throat spray or consuming the anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine has been found to reduce the risk of Covid-19 infection in healthy individuals in areas with high transmission rates.

These findings were revealed by a local study of more than 3,000 healthy young migrant workers who were quarantined in Tuas South Dormitory in May last year.

The study found that taking a povidone-iodine throat spray three times a day, or the oral drug hydroxychloroquine once daily, reduced the likelihood of getting infected by Sars-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19, by over 20 per cent.

The study was done by a team of clinician-scientists from the National University Health System (NUHS), led by Associate Professor Raymond Seet, a senior consultant in the division of neurology at the department of medicine in National University Hospital (NUH).

The researchers included infectious diseases experts Professor Paul Tambyah and Associate Professor Alex Cook, as well as Dr Amy Quek and Associate Professor Mikael Hartman.

Prof Seet said: "Dr Quek, Prof Hartman and I were early volunteers of the dormitory mission where we ran medical posts, swabbed and screened residents with infection who may require hospital care.

"At the start of the outbreak, the numbers of dorm infections were simply overwhelming. That was when we got together with Prof Tambyah and Prof Cook to come up with the idea of running a study, all with the overarching aim to help ease the burden on our healthcare system."

Repurposing accessible existing drugs such as povidone-iodine and hydroxychloroquine is a practical way to curb the spread of the virus, especially in regions where Covid-19 is rampant, said Prof Seet.

The throat spray can be bought over the counter at pharmacies while hydroxychloroquine will require a doctor's prescription.

CloudNull

Banned
Cases are spiking again in my area and we went backwards. They changed in door limits from 50% capacity to 25%. I have no idea why cases are increasing when so many people are getting vaccinated. I hope it is temporary.

Also, what is going on in India is terrible. I really hope the double mutation doesn't spread.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
It’s not asking a lot of me to do it.
It’s not asking a lot to wear two. Hope you’re wearing two. Daddy Fauci says to.

And make sure to wear them until the number of cases hits zero. Since that will never happen, wear them the rest of your life. It’s not a lot to ask.

Last edited:
Cases are spiking again in my area and we went backwards. They changed in door limits from 50% capacity to 25%. I have no idea why cases are increasing when so many people are getting vaccinated. I hope it is temporary.

Also, what is going on in India is terrible. I really hope the double mutation doesn't spread.
What area? Michigan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom