• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sejan

everything i've seen and what my nurses told me was it was around 50ish percent. the 80% is misinformed
Even a 50% effectiveness is more than enough for most people. For reference, the 2003-2004 flu vaccine had an estimated effectiveness of 10% with the best case scenario being 60% effectiveness in 2010-2011 (https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200902/how-effective-is-the-flu-vaccine). Even with effectiveness rates that dip that low, its still believed that the flu vaccine saves lives and even reduces the severity of symptoms of people that actually still get the flu.

If the COVID vaccine gives 50% immunity and reduces symptoms for people that still get the disease anyway, it is more than good enough. 94% effectiveness is certainly better, but 50% is nothing to complain about. Even people that skip the second dose are doing a big part of creating herd immunity and reducing the effects of COVID in their communities.

On a semi related note: got my first dose of Phiser about an hour ago. Here's hoping for minimal side effects.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
On a semi related note: got my first dose of Phiser about an hour ago. Here's hoping for minimal side effects.

Yep, just got my first pfizer dose,
s̤o ̲͇f̢̲̮̣͖ͅa͉͉̝͍̜͈r̸ ͕͖̳̞͘s̢o͏̫̺̗̤̜ ̞͕͎g͕o̙̟̦̕o͎d͉͓̤,̧̼̖ n͏̯͈̗ͅo̸ ̺v̵͍i̖̳͚͘s͏̫̹͇̦̙͚i̱͡b̢̮͔̻͈̭̝l̥e̵̟̮͖̹ o̶͓͕r̝͕̥̳͚ ͕̣̞c̥͍ͅͅr̩̙̞a҉͙̟̳̲̻ͅz̺͈͕͞y̹̱̟͙̺̩͓ ̥͍̣̝̮̩s͔̖͓̲̺̤i͝d̖̰̰͎͕͡e̩̠ ̝͈̜̝͚͘e̗̜̮f͍͚̠̞f̘̱̼͝e̺̳̼̣͔̩c̱͓̭̼t͖͝s͏̫̦̝̟̩̲.͎̥̣̘̪͉̀.͍͉͔͜.̯̞̟̮̼̳̜
̥̺̞̘͝h̳ọ̰̫̜̦͙p̤̭͉i̬̜̜̺ͅn̴̳̠͍̣̜̯g̖̭̬ ̸̪͎͎ţ̫̳͍h̟͚̙̦e ͖̖̗̥s̺̱̻̯̲͜ec̮͘o̸̻̯̗̭̭̲n̨̞̭d̴̲͙ ̴̟d̖̝͝o҉̺s͈̗̺̹̦͟e̶͎͚̻̙͇̩ͅ ̣w҉̤͎͍̘͉̥̗i͙̻͎̦l̴̼̟͕l̜̲ ̢̗͎͍̼bͅe̘̣̳̰ ̰̖͍̭ͅș̞̮̟̞͕̞i̹̟̩͚͕̘m͇̜̜͖i̸l̬̣͞a̢̦̙̣r̠̗̳.҉̪͖̫̹̩͕̩

*reboot*
so far so good!

jk, im fine, if you can get a vaccine, i would recommend it.

BigBooper

I got my second Moderna shot Friday. Sore shoulder until today. Headache lasted about 3 hours Friday. Sore joints. Not too bad really.

llien

Where are you seeing 80%?

The 52% figure comes from:

notably "Polack et al. (Dec. 31)1 report a vaccine efficacy of 94.8% against Covid-19 after two doses of the messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine BNT162b2 (Pfizer–BioNTech). The authors also report a vaccine efficacy of 52.4% from after the first dose to before the second dose, but in their calculation, they included data that were collected during the first 2 weeks after the first dose, when immunity would have still been mounting.1 "

Slaylock

I'm considering travelling from the US to UK in early October. I know there is a 10 day quarantine right now, but it would surely be gone by October.

Right?

Or should I just not travel outside the US this year. American Airlines is waiving change fees currently, so that's a bit of a relief.

Nester99

I'm considering travelling from the US to UK in early October. I know there is a 10 day quarantine right now, but it would surely be gone by October.

Right?

Or should I just not travel outside the US this year. American Airlines is waiving change fees currently, so that's a bit of a relief.

I think the WHY matters.

Holiday for fun? Meh I would not risk it with so much unknow currently

Visit Sick family? Job Opportunity ? Perhaps.

Nester99

Just tourism. The temptation is the airfares. Probably $200 less that normal.

IMO would depend on the cancelation policy....

Seems like a high chance of being screwed with a quarantined or limit access to the cool stuff you want to visit. $200 does not seem like a good enough savings for so much uncertainty that could cost you way more.

For example, The Canadian government now mandates RETURNING air passengers need to quarantine upon return at their own costs. Estimates are $2000 for the mandatory hotel stay. - so 10 times the $200 you would save.
Odds of getting screwed seem high.

Jezbollah

Right?

Vaccine passports for international travel is soon to be introduced in the UK, meaning you *should* be able to prove your vaccination status and be allowed in without the need to quarantine.

Of course, this and any travel so far in advance should be caveated with the usual "as it stands" - and no variants that are evasive to vaccines propagate in any serious way. The usual will apply regardless, hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. But you'll have a better chance of not being caught up without any quarantine in the UK than any other country in this region right about now.

TheContact

Is it wrong to refrain from wearing the mask in public right now? If the answer is yes, then it is an issue of morals and you would have to explain on what moral grounds do you decide that it is wrong?

If the answer is no, then why are people going to jail if it’s not wrong to wear the mask in public?

ur question is flawed because ur premise is that if u don't wear a mask then it's a morality issue when that's not the only thing to consider. morality is subjective. one person can view one death as being too much, another could look at 600k being too much (which is nearly where we're at). it's up for you to decide at what threshold that becomes immoral. i would argue anyone dismissing this past a half a million dead needs to re-evaluate their own morality. if someone is so selfish they can't shop in a store for 30 minutes with a piece of cloth over face in order to keep our country going then those people need to question whether they even have any morals at all

So what's going on in Indian, with all the media reporting on the ground there...surely there are no COVID deniers anymore right? It's an actual Hollywood apocalyptic pandemic film. People can't be this stubborn right?

Last edited:

llien

Right?

If you have vaccination pass, your chances are pretty good.
Still not 100% though, as god knows what new mutation might surprise the world by that time.

PS
I personally plan a visit to Northern Italy in July, already booked a hotel. Although, there is zero cancellation fee.

Gp1

The Brazilian equivalent of the FDA/EMA denied the Russian vaccine Sputnik V based on finding the presence of adenovirus in the analyzed batches. (the one that can reproduce themselves and cause illness)

Besides that, the Russians denied a series of factories inspection and didn't provided enough documentation.

I'm really curious on how the EMA will procede with that finding.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Some people believe the world is flat, so....

Yeah these people have it figured out, best not to worry about them

And by figuring it out I mean having zero understanding of how anything works but still trying to lecture others about how woke they are

If you are asking if every human being in the world agrees with you on the topic, then I'm sure there will always be people who do not.

I am sick to death of people acting like there are these horrible disbelievers holding everyone back when we have elected and unelected officials completely fucking things up everywhere. Maybe people are sick of how things are being handled by those in charge?

Conspiracy theorists seems like the stupidest most inconsequential thing to focus on tbh. The fact people keep babbling about them means you aren't talking about the people with real power fucking up.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
If you are asking if every human being in the world agrees with you on the topic, then I'm sure there will always be people who do not.

I am sick to death of people acting like there are these horrible disbelievers holding everyone back when we have elected and unelected officials completely fucking things up everywhere. Maybe people are sick of how things are being handled by those in charge?

Conspiracy theorists seems like the stupidest most inconsequential thing to focus on tbh. The fact people keep babbling about them means you aren't talking about the people with real power fucking up.
The problem isn’t that morons believe in conspiracy theories. The problem comes when people with power or influence weaponize them.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
how I feel when I work at the vaccine clinic
riw8z9sxzqv61.jpg

Jaysen

Banned
I haven't watched it but JR has been a complete embarrassment when it comes to covid and public health, and surely this is no different. It's like brendan schaub calling himself a "numbers guy". Criiiinnnngggeee
Bill Burr called him out on it in real time and he had no response other than masks are for sissies. So yeah, turn to Joe for entertainment purposes only.

TheContact

My state has a plan that if covid numbers keep going down then August 1st all pandemic related restrictions will be lifted. The more people who get vaccinated the better so please sign up for it.

Ixion

I haven't watched it

To sum it up, the video talks about how the group that was assigned to investigate the Wuhan lab is a group that has a lot of financial dependency on the lab continuing to exist (around $100 million dollars worth), using the analogy that it would be like if Rob Kardashian investigated OJ Simpson. They also talk about how Dr. Fauci is not only heavily involved in the Wuhan lab, but that he is basically the head man of the group that decides who to fund and who not fund for 99% of virology studies. Then Josh Rogin mentions he's had a lot of anecdotal accounts from doctors he's spoken with who say they don't agree with certain outcomes but they have to go along with it or else they'll lose their grants.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
My state has a plan that if covid numbers keep going down then August 1st all pandemic related restrictions will be lifted. The more people who get vaccinated the better so please sign up for it.
Which state is that? I’m in NC and they said here that it would be June when everything gets lifted.

Hulk_Smash

Banned

the fuck am I reading
You’re reading about a school of only 300 that’s been in existence for a handful of years.

And it probably won’t be in existence for much longer.

Look y’all know how much I hate lockdowns and gov meddling, but this is equally fucking stupid. There’s nothing wrong with taking the vaccine. Let people do what they want, damn.

TheContact

Which state is that? I’m in NC and they said here that it would be June when everything gets lifted.

MA. our governor is being really precautions. the restrictions will start lifting beginning next month (capacity increasing and such), but it won't be completely unrestricted until august 1st (assuming the numbers don't get worse)

Going in to the local Publix pharmacy this afternoon to get my first stick. Moderna is my poison of choice, it's what my parents got as well, so I feel pretty good about it.

I've got a number of pre existing conditions making me vulnerable, and we are planning an out-of-the-country family vacation later this year. So I figured what the hell?

Shai-Tan

Banned
Rollout is very slow in Ontario, Canada. They haven't even called me for first vaccine yet. And we are currently in lockdown again. Because it's not polarized here like in the US I wonder if vaccine refusal will be significant (unclear whether it's really driven by politics or just general anti-vaxx attitudes)

GeorgPrime

Banned
Will still be a second rate human being unless i get the vaccine in germany now.

but politicians make me wait another 2-3 months before i can get vaccine.

Last edited:
Well I got my shot, Moderna. Not taking a selfie tho. Eff that.

Feeling good so far. Was planning on taking it easy tomorrow and Friday anyways, so this should be a piece of cake.

It's going to be nice to not have to wear a mask. Tbh I never wore one outside, it was always in stores that required it. I think a bunch of places no longer require it around me so hell yes.

I'll still carry one around but unless the store I'm going to has a sign up about it, I'm not wearing the damn mask anymore. Free at last. Thank you, President Trump!

Last edited:

Liljagare

India is starting to look like a horror movie.. :eek: Running out of fire wood to burn bodies, need to use public parking spots for said burnings.

Sad stuff.. 360000 new cases the last 24h. Hope they are able to in the confusion that is going on to roll out the vaccines, or this is a good growing ground for more mutations

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Vaccinated! Woo!

Also don’t watch the latest episode of Real Sports or look at the news coming out of Michigan unless you want to be bummed out. Young, extremely healthy people going on ventilators, even small children. These variants will be no joke, need 100% inoculation 🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom