• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaysen

Banned
It’s not asking a lot to wear two. Hoping you’re wearing two. Daddy Fauci says to.

And make sure wear them until the number of cases hits zero. Since that will never happen, wear them the rest of your life. It’s not a lot to ask.
I get it, you’re an edgelord.

Biden is perturbing me a bit. Not blocking flights from India likely because he doesn't want SJW marshmellows to call him a racist. India should have been blocked like a week ago what the fuck are we waiting on.

Jaysen

Banned
Biden is perturbing me a bit. Not blocking flights from India likely because he doesn't want SJW marshmellows to call him a racist. India should have been blocked like a week ago what the fuck are we waiting on.
The Indian variants have been here awhile. The vaccines are working against them.

The Indian variants have been here awhile. The vaccines are working against them.
So give up? Throw our hands up in the air? No dude. When the horse runs out you rein it in not let it run wild. That would be like last February saying oh 5 covid cases lets just let it spread too late for us. Thats how we got here in the first place. Whether the vaccines work or not you don't open the door wide open for a hot spot country thats breaking world records on the daily. That makes no sense.

pel1300

Oregon, greater Portland area.

Is the atmosphere negative there? A lot of fear?

I'm in fully open Puerto Vallarta Mexico. Paradise. Positive vibes. But it's scary seeing places that are still in some form of lock down. Fly here if you wanna be free.

Or Florida. I'm going there after my long holiday is done. Orlando to be precise. Cheaper than Miami.

CloudNull

Banned
Is the atmosphere negative there? A lot of fear?

I'm in fully open Puerto Vallarta Mexico. Paradise. Positive vibes. But it's scary seeing places that are still in some form of lock down. Fly here if you wanna be free.

Or Florida. I'm going there after my long holiday is done. Orlando to be precise. Cheaper than Miami.
Yeah it is kind of crazy but many places have it worse. People bash on the Governor who has done a fairly decent job. Her mask mandate was only to were it inside or if you can't maintain 6 feet apart when outside. Sadly people forget that and have lost the plot. I see peopled driving around wearing 2 mask in their car while alone. There are the people that are super afraid but I feel it is the minority. A lot of hope in the air lately because of the great weather and things slowly opening up.

I have almost left the state several times over the past year but still holding out a bit longer. I am always an optimist and see a lot of great things happening over here. I have planted seeds other places and will leave if the covid restrictions become permanent.

Raven117

The government here in Hungary started lifting restrictions. Yesterday pubs / restaurants could open outdoors for the first time in months.

We got a piece of our lives back and hoooollly shit people have been waiting for it :D whole Budapest became a one piece party city, people started drinking in the morning and didn't stop.

1619297970-temp-enbfph-20210424-720-0-90-cr.jpg

1619298034-temp-bmpnhp-20210424-720-0-90-cr.jpg

1619298072-temp-gcjafm-20210424-720-0-90-cr.jpg

1619298084-temp-cdkbom-20210424-720-0-90-cr.jpg

1619298101-temp-cdpkha-20210424-720-0-90-cr.jpg

1619298371-temp-iapled-20210424-720-0-90-cr.jpg
Love it. Especially if you had the opportunity to get vaxxed. Go out and live your life.

this shit has to end. (And, the American vaccines look to slow the Indian variant as well.... and we can all get boosters (which is polrobably happening anyway)).

let’s get it on. Life must go on.

Porcile

Let's hope now that restrictions are lifting, people have learned their lesson and wont go straight back to doing all the things to excess that got us in this shitty position to begin. It would be nice to think the world has slowed down a little bit, and we can cut down on the all the unnecessary consumerism that has damaged the world and peoples lives this last year and a half.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I only follow the ones that are based on logic and reason.

And science.

Looking back at some of the “science” posted on the past couple of pages it drives home how difficult it is for non expert to make sense of random findings because the expert discussion about those articles look a lot different from throwing up (often badly reported) studies without the context of the relevant body of knowledge. Epidemiologists and others sometimes speak as if they were experts on social policies which is a separate issue.

pel1300

Yeah it is kind of crazy but many places have it worse. People bash on the Governor who has done a fairly decent job. Her mask mandate was only to were it inside or if you can't maintain 6 feet apart when outside. Sadly people forget that and have lost the plot. I see peopled driving around wearing 2 mask in their car while alone. There are the people that are super afraid but I feel it is the minority. A lot of hope in the air lately because of the great weather and things slowly opening up.

I have almost left the state several times over the past year but still holding out a bit longer. I am always an optimist and see a lot of great things happening over here. I have planted seeds other places and will leave if the covid restrictions become permanent.
Hang in there man. Also glad to see you back here (thought you were gone).

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Looking back at some of the “science” posted on the past couple of pages it drives home how difficult it is for non expert to make sense of random findings because the expert discussion about those articles look a lot different from throwing up (often badly reported) studies without the context of the relevant body of knowledge. Epidemiologists and others sometimes speak as if they were experts on social policies which is a separate issue.
Also disturbing was the silencing of dissenting opinion. In the name of public health, too.

Shubh_C63

What I don't understand is how India kept it under control for so long then...BOOM, all of a sudden. Any explanation for this?
I guess the second wave was inevitable, like how sudden rise was there in UK.

BUT it was also pure incompetence by Govt too. They openly declared the war against Covid is won prematurely, all the makeshift care centers were deconstructed, Govt. put in plan for 192 Oxygen Plants in November throughout India but only like 16 of them got built by March. 160 Plant tender given to a singular vendor didn't reported to work. (he said she said at this moment, Court hearing to come).

Also on religious terms they allowed 5 Million people to gather for communal bath festival (Kumbh Mela) on 20th MARCH!! No restriction were there for another holi color festival. These two incidents combined with inevitable second wave is why we are here at this moment.

India was sending like 60 Million vaccines to neighboring countries and when disaster came, we ran out of raw material to ramp up production for which we relied on US (that is sorted now only today thank god). I am shamed, what a national embarrassment. Meant no politics by this post if other Gafindia is here.

BigBooper

There's no reason to be scared by this development I don't think. Initially it makes it seem more dangerous because of the distance, but it's actually saying it's less dangerous than we thought. If our mitigation policies didn't do anything, while we thought they were, then there was less overall risk to begin with.

Not that it's good news, but it's not bad either IMO.

Last edited:

Raven117

I guess the second wave was inevitable, like how sudden rise was there in UK.

BUT it was also pure incompetence by Govt too. They openly declared the war against Covid is won prematurely, all the makeshift care centers were deconstructed, Govt. put in plan for 192 Oxygen Plants in November throughout India but only like 16 of them got built by March. 160 Plant tender given to a singular vendor didn't reported to work. (he said she said at this moment, Court hearing to come).

Also on religious terms they allowed 5 Million people to gather for communal bath festival (Kumbh Mela) on 20th MARCH!! No restriction were there for another holi color festival. These two incidents combined with inevitable second wave is why we are here at this moment.

India was sending like 60 Million vaccines to neighboring countries and when disaster came, we ran out of raw material to ramp up production for which we relied on US (that is sorted now only today thank god). I am shamed, what a national embarrassment. Meant no politics by this post if other Gafindia is here.
Geesh. I’m sorry to hear this. It just seems so freakin severe, even accounting for all of this.

llien

Fair points, but you still will have a clear gap between percentages even if you factor worst case scenarios for both.

Taking the vaccine is the safer option.
Certainly not for 20-30 years old women without health problems.
On top of chances of dying from Wuhan Virus being minuscule for them, chances of contracting the virus are way lower of chances of "contracting vaccine", further reducing that "death chance".

Jezbollah

The EU is about to get a lesson in Contract law. A shame, because their focus should be on combatting their third wave. This will serve as a warning to those who may want to deal with them in the future that no matter what the contract states, the EU will interpret differently if it's to their own advantage.

TheContact

Hahaha. Yes. Edgelord. At least I’m free.

Voluntary slavery is a weird thing.

you're free whether you wear a mask or not. if you don't, you're still free but now you're just part of the problem. wearing a mask isn't about "muh freedomz", it's about doing the right thing for your country during a time of crisis. leaders have repeatedly called this a war againast an invisible enemy.trump has said so himself, and i agree. the defense production act was invoked which is something typically only done so in war times. also in war times, the people step up for their country. they work harder to ensure the country survives. all you care about is yourself. "muh freedoms". give me a fucking break, turn off tucker carlson for one day

Shai-Tan

Banned
Also disturbing was the silencing of dissenting opinion. In the name of public health, too.

I'm thinking of an op ed from last March that said, basically:

"During a pandemic we need more scrutiny of politicians and public health officials not less"

but also applies to claims we make (many of which are not well argued, employing evidence as ally to motivated reasoning)

"Most scientific claims are flawed. But the process of mutual criticism eventually weeds out these flawed claims, leaving behind a much more reliable body of knowledge than could possibly be produced on the first pass."

quite a bit had been learned since then even if we've blundered along the way

Hulk_Smash

Banned
you're free whether you wear a mask or not. if you don't, you're still free but now you're just part of the problem. wearing a mask isn't about "muh freedomz", it's about doing the right thing for your country during a time of crisis. leaders have repeatedly called this a war againast an invisible enemy.trump has said so himself, and i agree. the defense production act was invoked which is something typically only done so in war times. also in war times, the people step up for their country. they work harder to ensure the country survives. all you care about is yourself. "muh freedoms". give me a fucking break, turn off tucker carlson for one day

It’s such a great idea these lockdowns and the mask wearing that they have to fine businesses if they don’t comply. Such an awesome idea that they will raid businesses, homes, churches, and kick people off of busses and out of stores.

Such a fantastic idea that they have to arrest and imprison pastors for holding services like they did that guy in Canada.

Such truth and splendor in wearing the mask that there are dozens of videos on YouTube of mask Karens calling out people for daring not to wear the mask- just in case someone would dare go against the narrative.

The social and economic ramifications of lockdown measures will be so greatly felt that it will long outstrip anything COVID could ever dream of doing. War times you say? Did they arrest people for not buying war bonds and not eating government cheese?

But yeah it’s all about muh freedoms. Joke’s on you, I haven’t watched anything on Fox News or Tucker Carlson in over 15 years.

Last edited:

TheContact

It’s such a great idea these lockdowns and the mask wearing that they have to fine businesses if they don’t comply. Such an awesome idea that they will raid businesses, homes, churches, and kick people off of busses and out of stores.

Such a fantastic idea that they have to arrest and imprison pastors for holding services like they did that guy in Canada.

Such truth and splendor in wearing the mask that there are dozens of videos on YouTube of mask Karens calling out people for daring not to wear the mask- just in case someone would dare go against the narrative.

The social and economic ramifications of lockdown measures will be so greatly felt that it will long outstrip anything COVID could ever dream of doing. War times you say? Did they arrest people for not buying war bonds and not eating government cheese?

But yeah it’s all about muh freedoms. Joke’s on you, I haven’t watched anything on Fox News or Tucker Carlson in over 15 years.

i'm for limited government too, but when the actions of businesses are causing people to die, yes they should follow the laws and require face masks. they aren't telling you to wear a mask to be controlling assholes, they're telling you to wear a mask in order to reduce the amount of people its killing as well as limit the amount of time people have to wear masks. people who don't wear masks are ironically contributing more to the lockdown because the worse it gets the more restrictive it becomes.

if the law says you can't congregate in churches or other religious building then they need to follow the law. there are other ways to meet (online) or show respect to your religion without getting close to people and infecting them. there aren't 'karens' calling out people on youtube, there are 'karens' flipping out at managers and getting arrested for not complying with the mask mandate. just as you implied it's not right a business should be fined for not complying with mask mandates, people not wearing masks should also not be allowed to enter a private business who does comply with the mask mandate. not sure if that's the type of videos you're talking about because i've never seen a video of people calling out those not wearing masks that were in an outdoor area not near anyone else. i've seen them trying to enter stores without a mask and getting called out, or arrested even, but a 'karen' if you want to use that term is an entitled lady who thinks the world revolves around them--the person who isn't wearing the mask, not those calling her out for it.

and yes the lockdown sucks. i have 3 kids who used to be in school who had to homeschool for over a year while my spouse and i both have full time jobs, so i've probably felt it worse than you. my wife owns a small business and almost had to shut down, so i've probably felt the lockdown worse than you. i've had co-workers and friends die and not be able to go to their funeral, so i've probably felt the lockdown worse than you. and the analogy to not wearing a mask to not buying war bonds is so ridiculously disconnected from reality i can't even take that seriously.

so yea it is all about you. you're not a sheep because you wear a mask, you're a citizen doing your job to get our country back on track. your perspective is really fucked

Jaysen

Banned
Welp, J&J is there for ya, no second dose :D.

mRNA jabs have about 80% single dose efficacy, still damn good (and still better than full AZ/J&J)
I mean it’s awful as a reflection of the intelligence, or lack thereof, of a lot of people. Still smarter than idiots who consider wearing a mask to be slavery, so I guess it could be worse.

Nester99

Welp, J&J is there for ya, no second dose :D.

mRNA jabs have about 80% single dose efficacy, still damn good (and still better than full AZ/J&J)

Where are you seeing 80%?

I am seeing 52.4% for MRNA with it going up to 94% after the 2nd.

Polack et al. (Dec. 31)1 report a vaccine efficacy of 94.8% against Covid-19 after two doses of the messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine BNT162b2 (Pfizer–BioNTech). The authors also report a vaccine efficacy of 52.4% from after the first dose to before the second dose

TheContact

Polack et al. (Dec. 31)1 report a vaccine efficacy of 94.8% against Covid-19 after two doses of the messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine BNT162b2 (Pfizer–BioNTech). The authors also report a vaccine efficacy of 52.4% from after the first dose to before the second dose

everything i've seen and what my nurses told me was it was around 50ish percent. the 80% is misinformed

Hulk_Smash

Banned
i'm for limited government too, but when the actions of businesses are causing people to die, yes they should follow the laws and require face masks. they aren't telling you to wear a mask to be controlling assholes, they're telling you to wear a mask in order to reduce the amount of people its killing as well as limit the amount of time people have to wear masks. people who don't wear masks are ironically contributing more to the lockdown because the worse it gets the more restrictive it becomes.

if the law says you can't congregate in churches or other religious building then they need to follow the law. there are other ways to meet (online) or show respect to your religion without getting close to people and infecting them. there aren't 'karens' calling out people on youtube, there are 'karens' flipping out at managers and getting arrested for not complying with the mask mandate. just as you implied it's not right a business should be fined for not complying with mask mandates, people not wearing masks should also not be allowed to enter a private business who does comply with the mask mandate. not sure if that's the type of videos you're talking about because i've never seen a video of people calling out those not wearing masks that were in an outdoor area not near anyone else. i've seen them trying to enter stores without a mask and getting called out, or arrested even, but a 'karen' if you want to use that term is an entitled lady who thinks the world revolves around them--the person who isn't wearing the mask, not those calling her out for it.

and yes the lockdown sucks. i have 3 kids who used to be in school who had to homeschool for over a year while my spouse and i both have full time jobs, so i've probably felt it worse than you. my wife owns a small business and almost had to shut down, so i've probably felt the lockdown worse than you. i've had co-workers and friends die and not be able to go to their funeral, so i've probably felt the lockdown worse than you. and the analogy to not wearing a mask to not buying war bonds is so ridiculously disconnected from reality i can't even take that seriously.

so yea it is all about you. you're not a sheep because you wear a mask, you're a citizen doing your job to get our country back on track. your perspective is really fucked
So you think it’s cool to put people in jail because they MIGHT spread a virus.

Okay, what threshold is morally acceptable to you to go from “no jail/no fine” to “jail time/fines” and how do you know that standard is true or right?

This was via the CDC a few weeks ago: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/29/cdc...a-covid-vaccines-was-80percent-effective.html

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Cases are spiking again in my area and we went backwards. They changed in door limits from 50% capacity to 25%. I have no idea why cases are increasing when so many people are getting vaccinated. I hope it is temporary.

Also, what is going on in India is terrible. I really hope the double mutation doesn't spread.

Yes we need to race to herd immunity now that variants are popping up all over. It's kind of scary but we're so close!

India is a country that seems to be packed close all of the time (ever seen their train videos?) so I can see why another wave is hitting them. I wish them the best, it fucking sucks. These new variants are tearing through even young people more than the initial wave did. I watched the most recent episode of Real Sports on HBO Max and it was sobering to see what this disease can do to even 19-22 year old people in peak Olympic condition.

I can't wait till Wednesday, my second dose is scheduled then. I am going to get it, face the pain if it erupts, stay inside for two weeks for that full immunity to hit, then I am going to get a haircut and shave at my favorite barber. Haven't seen them since Feb 2020.

TheContact

So you think it’s cool to put people in jail because they MIGHT spread a virus.

Okay, what threshold is morally acceptable to you to go from “no jail/no fine” to “jail time/fines” and how do you know that standard is true or right?

if we had this magic sensor that could detect if people had the virus or not instantly using a visual scanner or something, i'd agree that people who are not capable of spreading the infection shouldn't have to wear masks, but if we had that tech we wouldn't be where we're at now. people were absolutely asympmatic, feeling totally great, but had the virus and spread it around to other people who caught it and died from it. that's why you wear a mask even if you think you're fine. i've been fully vaxed since feb and i still wear a mask everywhere except when i'm in a room with other people i know are vaccinated because you just never know, and as we're seeing in india, they were trending down then they got complacent and now they're super fucked--the same thing could happen here and it's mindsets like yours which are contributing to that happening again.

to answer your second question, it's very easy: 1) if you break the law you get fined/arrested. what threshold does there need to be? you either broke the law or you didn't. the law says you need to wear a mask to enter a private person's business. if i were to see you on the street and spit in your face, i would be arrested with assault because i could potentially be infected with something (coronavirus completely aside). going out in public without a mask is very similar in that regard. if i were an ADA I would charge them with assault

CloudNull

Banned
I can't wait till Wednesday, my second dose is scheduled then. I am going to get it, face the pain if it erupts, stay inside for two weeks for that full immunity to hit, then I am going to get a haircut and shave at my favorite barber. Haven't seen them since Feb 2020.

Good on you for getting back out there. I cut back on my international travel and eating out but besides that I never stopped going out. I am in the bracket to be least affected by Covid and fully understand that risk I accept when going out.

It is great to see people starting to live again.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
if we had this magic sensor that could detect if people had the virus or not instantly using a visual scanner or something, i'd agree that people who are not capable of spreading the infection shouldn't have to wear masks, but if we had that tech we wouldn't be where we're at now. people were absolutely asympmatic, feeling totally great, but had the virus and spread it around to other people who caught it and died from it. that's why you wear a mask even if you think you're fine. i've been fully vaxed since feb and i still wear a mask everywhere except when i'm in a room with other people i know are vaccinated because you just never know, and as we're seeing in india, they were trending down then they got complacent and now they're super fucked--the same thing could happen here and it's mindsets like yours which are contributing to that happening again.

to answer your second question, it's very easy: 1) if you break the law you get fined/arrested. what threshold does there need to be? you either broke the law or you didn't. the law says you need to wear a mask to enter a private person's business. if i were to see you on the street and spit in your face, i would be arrested with assault because i could potentially be infected with something (coronavirus completely aside). going out in public without a mask is very similar in that regard. if i were an ADA I would charge them with assault
1) So, we should wear the mask forever? Since it is very possible that the virus will never go away, then it stands to reason that wearing the mask shouldn't either.
2) Spitting is considered assault because it is considered unwanted physical contact. It's no different than poking someone. Even if it is because of a virus, it only gets special consideration if the person knows they're infected. According to you, asymptomatic spread is a moral issue that should land people in jail if they don't wear a piece of fabric on their face. Since asymptomatic people don't know they have COVID, then I guess they have to wear the mask any time they are around other people until the day they die otherwise they could end up in prison for assault.

3) You still didn't answer my question: First part of my question: On what moral grounds do you decide if a person should go to jail for not wearing the mask? Second part of my question: Is there a numbers threshold? If so, how do you know that threshold is correct?

Last edited:

TheContact

1) So, we should wear the mask forever? Since it is very possible that the virus will never go away, then it stands to reason that wearing the mask shouldn't either.
2) Spitting is considered assault because it is considered unwanted physical contact. It's no different than poking someone. Even if it is because of a virus, it only gets special consideration if the person knows they're infected. According to you, asymptomatic spread is a moral issue that should land people in jail if they don't wear a piece of fabric on their face. Since asymptomatic people don't know they have COVID, then I guess they have to wear the mask any time they are around other people until the day they die otherwise they could end up in prison for assault.

3) You still didn't answer my question: First part of my question: On what moral grounds do you decide if a person should go to jail for not wearing the mask? Second part of my question: Is there a numbers threshold? If so, how do you know that threshold is correct?

not forever. once we reach herd immunity, that happens with vaccinations and not so much natural antibodies as people have been reinfected with variants. the virus i dont think will ever completely go away, but it can be managed to the point where we won't need masks anymore. look, no one likes wearing masks all the time so i get the resistance. you're being hyperbolic where you say people are going to be wearing masks forever. that is not going to happen. but that person in your example who doesn't know they're asymptomatic does have to wear a mask if they want to enter a private business which requires masks. there's a difference between sitting on a bench outside reading a book 6 feet apart from other people and not wearing a mask versus going in a crowded store without a mask. there's no problem with the former but there absolutely is with the latter.

i still don't understand the question. i don't see it as morals. if you break the law by not wearing a mask when you enter a private business which has a mask mandate, then you get arrested. there's no morals there except for the person who is willing to possibly infect other people by not wearing a mask--i would say that person lacks morals. if i'm not understanding you then pls rephrase

Jaysen

Banned
Good on you for getting back out there. I cut back on my international travel and eating out but besides that I never stopped going out. I am in the bracket to be least affected by Covid and fully understand that risk I accept when going out.

It is great to see people starting to live again.
Travel is what I’m looking forward to most. It was mainly to just the UK and Japan, but I look forward to resuming it. Zoom just ain’t the same.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
not forever. once we reach herd immunity, that happens with vaccinations and not so much natural antibodies as people have been reinfected with variants. the virus i dont think will ever completely go away, but it can be managed to the point where we won't need masks anymore. look, no one likes wearing masks all the time so i get the resistance. you're being hyperbolic where you say people are going to be wearing masks forever. that is not going to happen. but that person in your example who doesn't know they're asymptomatic does have to wear a mask if they want to enter a private business which requires masks. there's a difference between sitting on a bench outside reading a book 6 feet apart from other people and not wearing a mask versus going in a crowded store without a mask. there's no problem with the former but there absolutely is with the latter.

i still don't understand the question. i don't see it as morals. if you break the law by not wearing a mask when you enter a private business which has a mask mandate, then you get arrested. there's no morals there except for the person who is willing to possibly infect other people by not wearing a mask--i would say that person lacks morals. if i'm not understanding you then pls rephrase
Is it wrong to refrain from wearing the mask in public right now? If the answer is yes, then it is an issue of morals and you would have to explain on what moral grounds do you decide that it is wrong?

If the answer is no, then why are people going to jail if it’s not wrong to wear the mask in public?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom