• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 DLC "The Arrival" [Update: Gameplay Demo Post 674]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This shot seems you have you fighting on a cargo platform as it is flying towards a relay. You can see what looks to an effect to simulate movement in the top right, and there's another ship flying towards the relay in front of you.

I wonder if Admiral Hackett will be (spoilers from the trophies)
the ultimate sacrifice

EatChildren said:
This shot seems you have you fighting on a cargo platform as it is flying towards a relay. You can see what looks to an effect to simulate movement in the top right, and there's another ship flying towards the relay in front of you.

I wonder if Admiral Hackett will be (spoilers from the trophies)
the ultimate sacrifice

I will send a fucking bomb to Bioware if he dies.

jackdoe

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Fixed, and I'm not even slightly gay.

Dat voice.
I've soured on Henriksen after MW2. It's not his fault, but his association with that half-assed character with a half-assed brain makes it hard for me to like him as much as I did before.

jackdoe said:
I've soured on Henriksen after MW2. It's not his fault, but his association with that half-assed character with a half-assed brain makes it hard for me to like him as much as I did before.

He starred in AvP (terrible movie and terrible 2010 game), MW2 was a step up by comparison. He's one of those actors, like Michael Irsonide, who is awesome regardless of the mediocre trash they've cast him in.

jackdoe

ThoseDeafMutes said:
He starred in AvP (terrible movie and terrible 2010 game), MW2 was a step up by comparison. He's one of those actors, like Michael Irsonide, who is awesome regardless of the mediocre trash they've cast him in.
See... the thing is his AVP character is linked to Bishop from Aliens. Which makes it acceptable. His General Shepard is linked to the weak as hell plot of MW2 which makes it unacceptable.

I really need Bioware to have a DLC sale. I am holding off my ME2 playthrough on the PC until the DLC drops. I know I missed a chance a while back, but my hope is that it goes on sale before ME3 roles through.

The_Inquisitor said:
I really need Bioware to have a DLC sale. I am holding off my ME2 playthrough on the PC until the DLC drops. I know I missed a chance a while back, but my hope is that it goes on sale before ME3 roles through.

There was one around December / January iirc. They all dropped to 200 points.

Dresden

The_Inquisitor said:
Yeah I am really pissed I missed it because I picked up ME2 during xmas sale. Think they might do one again soon?
Probably. If I have to guess it'll happen about a month or so before ME3's release.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm not worried about ME 3 being rushed.

For one thing, the performance issues and engine have been ironed out. And they don't need to do too much to change the combat this time around.

Patryn

Ark said:
Wishful thinking is wishful. If it isn't as long as the Shadow Broker, then I'll be somewhat disappointed.

Shadow Broker: 800 space bucks.
Arrival: 560 space bucks.

Prepare for disappointment.

Yeah you know EA would make them charge 800 points if they felt the value was at that point. If you're expecting a really lengthy and substantial DLC from EA for only 560 you've got other, more serious problems to attend to.

For the record I don't even think Shadow Broker was that impressive or lengthy, but compared to Overlord the $10 price point was justified.

duckroll

Maybe they're charging less because this is meant to be a lead-in to ME3 and they want as many people to try it as possible to boost interest in ME3?

Wiggum2007

All I want from ME3 is for the game to acknowledge just once that my Shepard is a fucking biotic god, outside of combat. Like "Oh hey Shepard why can't you put up the biotic shield?", even my Shepard forgot that she was a biotic in that scene. Or maybe with one of the Interrupts, instead of popping off a few shots with my pea shooter at some dude, I shoot a Warp blast at his face? By all accounts DA2 is a very disappointing game so I haven't picked it up, but one thing the demo got right was that it let me use my mage powers in a dialogue scene.

Not to mention that at least in the first game they brought up how biotic humans are kind of looked down upon or feared by other humans, would've been nice to see that firsthand but by ME2 it seems they'd forgotten that plot point completely.

duckroll said:
Maybe they're charging less because this is meant to be a lead-in to ME3 and they want as many people to try it as possible to boost interest in ME3?

If it was anyone other than EA or Activision I could believe that. We'll see I guess, I'd love to be wrong on this.

Wiggum2007 said:
Not to mention that at least in the first game they brought up how biotic humans are kind of looked down upon or feared by other humans, would've been nice to see that firsthand but by ME2 it seems they'd forgotten that plot point completely.
This is why I love ME1, so much extra story other then "OMG THE REAPERS!" and you learn about biotics and shit, so good.

seat

I was hoping for something as substantial as Shadow Broker, and while the price suggests it won't be, I'm still thrilled to play some new Mass Effect 2 content in less than two weeks. Like many, I was thinking this would be out in the fall, so this is a really pleasant surprise.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
duckroll said:

This has happened to other games, though. Fable 2's first DLC was $10 and its second $7.

Dipswitch

Shit - I keep thinking 500 points = $5, instead of 400. I have 110 points on my account and I really don't want to buy another 800 just to get this.

I'll wait for the early reviews to see if its worth it.

So why is this one $7 (560 points) while Lair of the Shadow Broker was $10 (800 points)???

Is it shorter/less value than LotSB.....? *worried*

Hixx

shinobi602 said:
So why is this one $7 (560 points) while Lair of the Shadow Broker was $10 (800 points)???

Is it shorter/less value than LotSB.....? *worried*

LotSB seems a pretty unique DLC unfortunately. It was probably one of the best parts of ME2 as a whole, nevermind just the chunks of DLC that have been released.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's sad that we expect the DLC to be barebones just because they're not overcharging for it. Oh well, I'll buy just about anything Mass Effect related (aside from sunglass DLC).

ready for ME3 please

Mindlog

As always Cerberus was right. Hacket background comparison.

I'm probably going to hate the ending of this DLC.
I'm still going to end up buy the Aegis along with this new DLC. I'll have everything besides alternate appearance.

Snuggler said:
It's sad that we expect the DLC to be barebones just because they're not overcharging for it. Oh well, I'll buy just about anything Mass Effect related (aside from sunglass DLC).

ready for ME3 please

I know, me too.

I'm an ME fanboy =/

HixxSAFC said:
LotSB seems a pretty unique DLC unfortunately. It was probably one of the best parts of ME2 as a whole, nevermind just the chunks of DLC that have been released.

I just expected more from this DLC than LotSB, they've been working on it for 6 months already >__>

CrazyDude

Expect some more info tomorrow.

From Jesse Houston's twitter.

"Bags mostly packed, Kits Prepped, Flight mess dealt with, Sleepy Ninja in bed. Ready for my flight to #SFO tomorrow to present Arrival!"

After this DLC, I can go for a second play through of ME2. I'm just in the mood for it.
I was playing DA:O, but my interest in it kind of waned....I'll get back to it eventually.

seat

CrazyDude said:
Expect some more info tomorrow.

From Jesse Houston's twitter.

"Bags mostly packed, Kits Prepped, Flight mess dealt with, Sleepy Ninja in bed. Ready for my flight to #SFO tomorrow to present Arrival!"
Hot damn. I haven't been this excited for anything game-related like this in a while.

Mindlog

Latest News

03/22/2011 - Evidence Mounts in Support of Mass Relay Age Findings

“Evidence continues to mount that the system of mass relays attributed to the Protheans predate their civilization. Dr. Aurana T'Meles of the University of Serrice, a one-time skeptic of the claim, now says she's a convert. "This team has been meticulous in dating relays from many locations," she says in her findings. "It is not their responsibility to hypothesize who created the relays, only to isolate the eras of their construction." Such hypotheses abound and usually feature disappeared species like the arthenn or zeioph. Nearly all have been ruled out since they did not coexist with the oldest of the relays. Dr. Amanda Kenson, team lead for the initial discovery, could not be reached for comment at broadcast time.”

A new comic is also due soon. I'll be reading the synopsis.

Top Bottom