• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 Hype Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still thinking of cramming in 2 more play throughs of ME before 26th. On the one hand I realize that this is pretty stupid but on the other hand I am really worked up about it for some reason. Well if I make it far enough into the 2nd one I will probably finish it up before actually starting ME2.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
5 days to go in the U.S. (Midnight pickup). :D

I'm surprised there is still no official thread.

Kyoufu

The first thing I'm going to (try) do in Mass Effect 2 from the get go is biotic charge into a motherfucking pack of enemies and either take them all out with my shotgun or go down in glory. lol

Have they released the Soldier Class video yet?

CruxisMana said:
Has anyone else in the UK noticed all the adverts on TV?

I noticed a shit ton in the US. Even during 24!! They are marketing the shit out of this game.

(By the way, it's the interview ads spliced with game footage.)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If 35 is a pretty accurate number of the main quest plus most side quests then I'm happy. It took me 40 to complete it last time I went through, all sidequests, and I did a lot of screwing around (plus left it alt-tabbed out for like 3 hours).

Foil

It'll take me way longer than 35 hours to finish this game. I'm going to take my sweet ass time with it. The wait for Mass Effect 3 will be brutal, so I'll make sure this game lasts me a long, long time.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Kyoufu said:
The first thing I'm going to (try) do in Mass Effect 2 from the get go is biotic charge into a motherfucking pack of enemies and either take them all out with my shotgun or go down in glory. lol

Have they released the Soldier Class video yet?
They've released all of them now; you can find all the interviews+links to the videos here.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Clockblockers said:
Isn't there a set time limitation from the release date before you can create an official thread?

Yes it's one week, which was yesterday.

I'm sure Metroidvania or someone else will post it soon enough.

Clockblockers said:
Isn't there a set time limitation from the release date before you can create an official thread?
2 weeks before release at the earliest. I, too, am surprised there's no thread yet...although this one is fine with me.

edit: oh I guess it's only 1 week?

The Lamonster said:
2 weeks before release at the earliest. I, too, am surprised there's no thread yet...although this one is fine with me.

edit: oh I guess it's only 1 week?
It was two weeks before. Guess its 1 week now.

bulovski

Neo Member
35 hours with all the side mission? I am guessing it would be closer to 50 for me. My first playthrough of ME1 took 30+ hours. I am glad Bioware is still providing us with lengthy RPGs :)

Pankaks said:
5 days to go in the U.S. (Midnight pickup). :D

I'm surprised there is still no official thread.
Fuuuuuu I have to finish my ME play through by then, and I only just got to the Citadel. :O

Would I be gimped at all by not having a completed ME1 save? I've played the game like 3 times already, but lost ALL of my game saves over the summer :(

Ephemeris

Revengeance said:
Fuuuuuu I have to finish my ME play through by then, and I only just got to the Citadel. :O

Would I be gimped at all by not having a completed ME1 save? I've played the game like 3 times already, but lost ALL of my game saves over the summer :(

Nothing wrong with starting fresh with ME2. If you want the continuity from ME1 however.. you're gonna have to step things up and finish!:D

Ephemeris said:
Nothing wrong with starting fresh with ME2. If you want the continuity from ME1 however.. you're gonna have to step things up and finish!:D

K. Marathon time, starting tonight. I'll just skip side missions.

Ponn

Banned
Have a couple more Dr. Pepper code caps. Has anyone had any luck getting mass effect stuff or should I hold off on redeeming these till next week? I already wasted one and don't want to waste these other codes.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Ponn01 said:
Have a couple more Dr. Pepper code caps. Has anyone had any luck getting mass effect stuff or should I hold off on redeeming these till next week? I already wasted one and don't want to waste these other codes.
Some guy over at the Social site emailed Dr. Pepper and they said ME2 stuff won't be up till the game releases.

koji

Yoshi256 said:
The game takes 35 hours to finish (including most of the side missions), that are eight hours more than in Mass Effect 1.

Took me around 38hours to finish ME1 on my "complete" playthrough so that's pretty good news I guess.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
koji said:
Took me around 38hours to finish ME1 on my "complete" playthrough so that's pretty good news I guess.
It took me 35 hours the first time through which got me to level 49. My next playthrough I started with a fresh character, and it took me 21 hours, level 54. Once you know where everything is, the game world seems a hell of a lot smaller. I guess that holds true for any RPG, though.

Wrath2X said:
Please guys tell me if theres a chance of getting it early, I got 4 days of nothing coming up!

Well ME1 was notorious for being available before the street date, so there's always hope. I have to wait for Amazon though, so I have no hope of getting it before Tuesday.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
For those who haven't been watching or following the four-part interview series I am running on Mass Effect 2 with Casey Hudson, here is some new info that the net seems to be picking up on for important.

On the topic of Earth,
“In Mass Effect 1, you could go to the moon for some of the missions. So I think there’s potential in some of the downloadable missions in the future and things like that. Because, part of the thing of building a ‘real world’, in Star Wars, for example, there’s no Earth, but in something like Star Trek, you wonder what is happening on the Earth. So as soon you go there, then it has so much more gravity. That is why we’ve never gone to Earth yet, in Mass Effect. When we do, it will obviously be a big deal. You want to see, ‘What’s happening on Earth?’ What’s it like because a whole world. It’s so big. There are so many questions you want answered what Earth is like in this fiction. But we do plan do go there at some point, but just not yet.”
- Full Audio Interview

On the topic of the trilogy and it ending on the Xbox 360,
"That was always the intention. You get the Xbox 360 or your PC, but the Xbox 360 is the one that's going to run out of time at some point, and you create your character and play through an entire trilogy on that platform"
- Full Audio Interview

Part 3 goes live today and Part 4 tomorrow. On Friday, I will be showing a slideshow of my exclusive tour around BioWare's studio they gave me with narration by their public relations rep. From their Dragon Age floor to their arcade room, I saw everything I could =)

Ephemeris

Caspel said:
Part 3 goes live today and Part 4 tomorrow. On Friday, I will be showing a slideshow of my exclusive tour around BioWare's studio they gave me with narration by their public relations rep. From their Dragon Age floor to their arcade room, I saw everything I could =)

So jealous. :p

Will you be heading back any time soon?
I can fit in your luggage, Geth-Style

Solo

Yoshi256 said:
The game takes 35 hours to finish (including most of the side missions), that are eight hours more than in Mass Effect 1.
You can still play the side missions after finishing the game:

http://www.4players.de/4players.php/spielinfonews/Allgemein/11008/1996788/grafik.html

Game length is a meangingless metric, since everyone plays different. I explored every square inch of the galaxy in each of my 4 ME playthroughs, and did ALL sidequest 3 of those times, and I still beat it each time in under 20 hours. And yet some people somehow sunk like 70 hours into a single playthrough. So, someone saying "35 hours" doesnt mean much.

I expect the same will hold true for ME2.

Caspel

Ephemeris said:
So jealous. :p

Will you be heading back any time soon?
I can fit in your luggage, Geth-Style

I assume my next trip to BioWare will be to their Austin studios for The Old Republic. But that's an assumption since that's their next title.

Just got this mail:

Webhallen: Bäste Webhallenkund,

Du får detta mail då du har bokat Mass Effect 2 - Collectors Edition
inkl. förbokningserbjudande.

Vi har tyvärr fått besked från den svenska distributören att
släppdatumet för samtliga återförsäljare i Norden har flyttats fram till
vecka 5, detta på grund av fel som uppstått under produktion.
Leverantören har ännu inte kunnat bekräfta det nya datumet, men det blir
troligtvis den 2:a eller 4:e februari. Vi vill dock göra dig uppmärksam
på att denna försening inte påverkar släppet av standardutgåvan, som
fortfarande ligger kvar på den 28:e januari. Så fort Collector's Edition
inkommer i lager står vår logistikpersonal redo att paketera dessa för
omgående utskick till kunder samt butik, för att minimera förseningen i
största möjliga mån.

Vi beklagar det inträffade, men vi undrar också med detta mail om du
önskar att vi byter utgåvan från Collector's Edition till Standard. I så
fall ber vi dig återkomma snarast möjligt. Vänligen inkludera ditt
ordernummer för att underlätta hanteringen av din beställning. Om du
inte önskar att vi byter utgåvan åt dig behöver du inte svara på detta mail.

Med vänliga hälsningar,
Webhallen

To make it short in english, the Collectors Edition of ME will be delayed one week here in Scandinavia. FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Ephemeris

Caspel said:
I assume my next trip to BioWare will be to their Austin studios for The Old Republic. But that's an assumption since that's their next title.
Ah. Totally forgot about that one. Blame Mass Effect.

Pancakes

I don't think you're allowed to post scans junior.

delirium

Reluctant-Hero said:
Interesting. At 1:08 in the video,
a parital list of the major ME1 choices are shown and it lists "Missing in Action" for either Ashley or Kaiden. Not "Killed in Action", I knew we'd see one of them again. Maybe not in ME2, but definitely ME3. Will either of them return as a crazy Collector-Human-Hybrid super soldier bent on your destruction?!
Damn, I love this game series and all it's potential!
Legion is the person you left for dead. Calling it now.

Caspel

Hypertrooper said:
Nice, Caspel.
I'm jealous, too. By the way, you have only photos or we will see videos? And do you see some secret BioWare stuff ?

If you consider concepts "secret", then yes. Only photos. I wasn't able to bring my video equipment across the border due to restrictions on how much I could bring for luggage without paying extra. Next time around, my publication will be footing the bill after I came away with so much with so little time I had there.

-Rogue5-

Is there a Collector's Edition for Canadians? With ME1 you could only get it through futureshop or bestbuy online or something like that. Is ME2CE getting a brick and mortar release?

EDIT: nevermind... the question was kneejerk. I googled it for myself and found the answer.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
kai3345 said:
what? how would this make any sense?

I've half-wondered about this myself, but I can't see any way they'd pull that off.

Spoilers below regarding feasability

Unlike Shepard, whose body was apparently still whole and in one piece (relatively), your squadmate's body was disintegrated into atoms, at least, as far as we know)

For those asking about the official thread, Skilotonn is working on it, he's been busy over the last couple days.

Not like it makes THAT much of a difference, not really much more we could comment on in there than we could here, what with barely any reviews popping up. :p

I'm working to finish off my second playthrough before Monday night but I don't know if I'll make it! What to do, what to do.

I don't want to rush through it just to get to the end. Maybe I'll just take that first play through as my save, hit up ME2, and then work on that second playthrough (along with my two new ME playthroughs, a racist Infiltrator and a spritely Engineer) and tackle ME2 with those guys.

So many choices! I'm actually looking forward to a few playthroughs where I go from ME to ME2 pretty much immediately. Should be fun.

Has there ever been a game that did this sort of thing with saves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom