• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

Damn, I thought the comic was coming to the 360 and PS3 version? I want to do a female Shep paragon playthrough so bad, but I don't feel like re-playing ME1 to get the save file.

Zen

Banned
If they had priced the PS3 version with some sanity they probably would have gotten some sales. Too bad, that short term greed outweighed actually building the userbase for Mass Effect 3.

On the other hand, costs of porting must have been low, and the majority of the work on this project was done as a side effect of ME3 coming to the PS3.

jcm

ukresistance said:
Given that the Jan NPD results are in and EA/Sony have not mentioned it. It's safe to say that the cost of developing a PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 isn't exactly paying off. How many people do they expect to rush out and buy Mass Effect 3 for PS3 if they don't have the second, let alone the first game?

That's not safe to say at all. They did a bunch of work they were going to have to do for ME3, and got paid for it instead of doing it for free. If they sell a couple hundred thousand units at $60 they've most likely paid for the port and then some, and now they're positioned for improved ME3 sales.

If they'd sold if for $40 they would have needed to sell more than half again as many units to break even. Are there really that many day one customers who would have paid $40 but wouldn't pay $60? And who won't buy it as the price falls this year?

Salaadin said:
Are you using d3doverrider by any chance? Maybe put the ME2 exe as an exception. Other than that, I dont know.
I guess you dont even need to go into coalesced.ini, you can override that 62 fps cap in the user settings menu with Notepad ++. I wish the game gave us a simple tab to disable v-sync (and unlock the framerate) like every other game. Also, I wish it had gamepad support.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Are there patch notes for the PS3 patch? One of my friends is holding out on buying it until some of the issues are addressed.

RoboPlato said:
Are there patch notes for the PS3 patch? One of my friends is holding out on buying it until some of the issues are addressed.

Patch Notes
-Fixed a crash related to memory fragmentation. This fix will also resolve the crashing that corrupted Save Games.
-Slightly improved load times and level streaming.
-Added some telemetry to better improve future titles.
-Updated some strings to fix spelling mistakes (Sorry Kaidan!)
-Fixed the picture frame in Shepard’s Cabin to accurately reflect your love interest choices in Mass Effect: Genesis.
-Fixed a rare crash in the PSN version in Shepard’s Cabin.
Yup.

Melchiah

Playing the game for the first time (and loving it), and I'd have some questions, if someone is kind enough to answer them.

Firstly, at what point/location will
the crew be abducted by Collectors, which then leads to the "suicide mission" beyond the Omega 4 Relay
? I'm currently on a mission to
investigate the Collector's ship
. I ask because, I want to avoid that as long as possible, as I'm building a romance with Kelly Chambers, and according to the romance guide I've been reading, I've got some things to do before that point in game, if I'm understanding the guide correctly. Plus, I've still got a few members to recruit for my team.

Which leads me to another question; does a romance with Kelly exclude one with Liara T'soni, or any other team member for that matter?

And the last one; does the game end when the main plot is done, or can you still go through the sidequests after that?

Melchiah said:
Playing the game for the first time (and loving it), and I'd have some questions, if someone is kind enough to answer them.

Firstly, at what point/location will
the crew be abducted by Collectors, which then leads to the "suicide mission" beyond the Omega 4 Relay
? I'm currently on a mission to
investigate the Collector's ship
. I ask because, I want to avoid that as long as possible, as I'm building a romance with Kelly Chambers, and according to the romance guide I've been reading, I've got some things to do before that point in game, if I'm understanding the guide correctly. Plus, I've still got a few members to recruit for my team.

Which leads me to another question; does a romance with Kelly exclude one with Liara T'soni, or any other team member for that matter?

And the last one; does the game end when the main plot is done, or can you still go through the sidequests after that?

You will have the option to go through the Omega 4 Relay yourself. The game lets you decide when you want to start the final mission, so you don't have to worry about that.

I'm pretty sure you can still get together with others while being interested in Kelly... Not 100% though

And yes, you can still play after you beat the game. Play through Shadow Broker then!

Melchiah

AvidNobody said:
You will have the option to go through the Omega 4 Relay yourself. The game lets you decide when you want to start the final mission, so you don't have to worry about that.

I'm pretty sure you can still get together with others while being interested in Kelly... Not 100% though

And yes, you can still play after you beat the game. Play through Shadow Broker then!

But according to the guide, if you don't go through the Omega 4 Relay immediately after
the abduction, some of the crew, including Kelly, will be lost
. When and where does
the abduction
happen? Just to know, which mission to avoid until I've had my way with Kelly. ;)

So, getting the Paramour trophy would be possible even when romancing with Kelly?

Is it the best option to play Shadow Broker (and Overlord) after completing the game?

Thanks for the advice. =)

scarybore

Melchiah said:
But according to the guide, if you don't go through the Omega 4 Relay immediately after
. When and where does
the abduction
happen? Just to know, which mission to avoid until I've had my way with Kelly. ;)

So, getting the Paramour trophy would be possible even when romancing with Kelly?

Is it the best option to play Shadow Broker (and Overlord) after completing the game?

With as few spoilers as possible,
The Illusive Man will eventually ask you to get an IFF in order to get through the Omega 4 relay. Do everything you want to do before doing this mission and you will be fine.

That said, I thought Kelly didn't technically count as a full on romance and thus you don't get an achievement for it. I don't know if this has changed with the PS3 version and its trophy system.

As for when to play Shadow Broker, I would recommend doing it after you have finished the main plotline but it's not of huge consequence if you don't. It doesn't matter at all when you play Overlord.

samdavis

Neo Member
Just got activated a few hours ago. First post on NeoGAF:

kitzkozan said:
This is why you don't see more sci-fi rpgs,especially considering that HD gaming demand more time,effort and money.Pulling off this feeling of exploration in space is noble,but incredibly hard to pull off.It's much easier to do so if you focus on a given area like in Fallout or the Elder's scroll (or the upcoming Dark soul).Imagine the numerous art asset when creating numerous planets with specific climate,fauna,etc.

It does sound like it could be pretty difficult but looking at the stark difference in tone from ME1 to ME2, perhaps they should've taken that risk. It appears that they began the trilogy intending to make the very game that you're describing (and that I desperately want to see made) and then, for whatever reason (EA), threw it out the window completely in favor of a real big-budget blockbuster of a game.

Since I can't make a thread yet as a junior member (and I don't mean to plug something that I've written as I'm not a blogger or writer and it would just be much easier to link to the post than try and quote it here and hijack the thread somehow), I made a post on Kotaku a little while ago in the #Speakup section and it happened to get picked up and posted on the main site. I talked about this very topic and sort of threw down a wishlist of the different...features I guess, that I'd like to see in a Sci-fi RPG.

If nobody reads it, think about the city that you saw in the background of ME1 when you're on the Citadel (you can see it concept art as well). I guess it'd be the actual rest of the Citadel. Look at games like the upcoming L.A. Noire and think of novels like Richard K. Morgan's Altered Carbon. It's clear that Mass Effect went more for the epic space opera angle (not so sure that they succeeded with the 2nd game but some will disagree), but think of a game that mixed Rockstar's production and development skills with a character like Takeshi Kovacs, and in the world depicted in Altered Carbon. People might mention Deus Ex but I think the jury is still out on that one.

I still think the epic, sprawling, exploration-based Sci-fi RPG is possible (though it'd be a massive undertaking), but for that I always think of Bethesda's open-world skills (they'd have to do away with the sprawling hills and barren wastelands in favor of crowded megacities) and Irrational Games penchant for engrossing exposition.

This is really a discussion for another thread (wish that I could make it), but I saw your post and it really got me thinking again. That and the disappointment (relative to the ME1) that was Mass Effect 2.

Woo-Fu said:
I finally got around to playing Mass Effect 2 and I have to say I'm dismayed at how dumbed down it is compared to Mass Effect. The combat is still clunky compared to other 3rd person shooters and now many/most of the RPG elements have been dumbed down or entirely removed. You end up with a crappy RPG melded to a crappy 3rd person shooter, albeit with wonderful voice work. Seems like they should pick one or the other and make it great instead of gimping both.

Indeed, EA seems to have gotten its hands all over the game. I was particularly annoyed at the fact that they set up what felt like it was going to be this story of discovery and 2001: A Space Odyssey type wonder and revelations about the origins of the universe when
they introduced the mythical Protheans...and then with Mass Effect 2 they just said "oh, well those fools got killed and the Reapers turned them into Collectors."

Once they introduced the
all-powerful, universe-ending Reapers
, the game was pretty much going to be a race to finish line and I don't see that changing with ME3. Unless Bioware decide to surprise the crap out of us I don't expect to see any amazing cosmic revelations at the end of the story. A bit disappointing considering how closely ME1 hearkened back to classic Sci-fi.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
samdavis said:
Indeed, EA seems to have gotten its hands all over the game. I was particularly annoyed at the fact that they set up what felt like it was going to be this story of discovery and 2001: A Space Odyssey type wonder and revelations about the origins of the universe when they introduced the mythical Protheans...and then with Mass Effect 2 they just said "oh, well those fools got killed and the Reapers turned them into Collectors."

Once they introduced the all-powerful, universe-ending Reapers, the game was pretty much going to be a race to finish line and I don't see that changing with ME3. Unless Bioware decide to surprise the crap out of us I don't expect to see any amazing cosmic revelations at the end of the story. A bit disappointing considering how closely ME1 hearkened back to classic Sci-fi.

Mass Effect 2 was never, ever going to match the original game in terms of wonder and revelation. It could have done a better job, but it was impossible to hit the same highs. The first game had the benefit of of every single little thing about the game universe being available for discovery. Everything. Every race, every planet, the history, the creatures, the technology; everything. That is the reason Mass Effect envoked such strong feelings of discovery; the whole game was an act of discovery.

Mass Effect 2 had the disadvantage of the entire universe now being established canon. Mass Effect 3 will too suffer thsi disadvantage. There's really no way around it.

samdavis

Neo Member
EatChildren said:
Mass Effect 2 was never, ever going to match the original game in terms of wonder and revelation. It could have done a better job, but it was impossible to hit the same highs. The first game had the benefit of of every single little thing about the game universe being available for discovery. Everything. Every race, every planet, the history, the creatures, the technology; everything. That is the reason Mass Effect envoked such strong feelings of discovery; the whole game was an act of discovery.

Mass Effect 2 had the disadvantage of the entire universe now being established canon. Mass Effect 3 will too suffer thsi disadvantage. There's really no way around it.

Eh, from the moment I found out about these loyalty missions everything felt very linear and confined. I don't even remember specific places from ME1 as much as I remember the way the game made me feel. ME2 looked and felt NOTHING like the first game. And that wasn't because I was already familiar with the universe. I just no longer cared about it the way it was presented to me in ME2. Why not continue with some more slowly revealed, perhaps startling, wondrous revelations instead of going the oft-used
"hero must save the universe from nigh-unstoppable, destructive force"
route?

I still feel like the introduction of the Reapers put them in a bad spot as from that point on there really isn't any way that they can sort of "reset" things and ignore the fact that there's this all-powerful force that's coming to destroy everything.

There are definitely locations and stories that the writers could've been told that would've been every bit as awe-inspiring as those in the first game. And really it isn't even about everything being known now (because it really wasn't), the entire tone of the game just took such a massive turn.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I agree with you. ME2's plot revelations had a ton of problems (you might want to make sure you spoiler tag stuff about the Collectors and the like though in your original post).

I'm just saying that people hoping for the same level of revelation and mystery as the first game were doomed to be disappointed. It was impossible. ME1 established canon, ME2 built off it.

thetechkid

EatChildren said:
I'm just saying that people hoping for the same level of revelation and mystery as the first game were doomed to be disappointed. It was impossible. ME1 established canon, ME2 built off it.

My problem with ME1 vs ME2 was how linear the second felt. In 1 you were basically given the keys to the parent's car and told go off and be a space cowboy and do some missions a long the way, while 2 was mostly do this number of main missions before being given a mission to move the story on a bit. Also the fact that most of the side missions felt no were near as free as the first game.

Melchiah

Deathcraze said:
With as few spoilers as possible,
The Illusive Man will eventually ask you to get an IFF in order to get through the Omega 4 relay. Do everything you want to do before doing this mission and you will be fine.

That said, I thought Kelly didn't technically count as a full on romance and thus you don't get an achievement for it. I don't know if this has changed with the PS3 version and its trophy system.

As for when to play Shadow Broker, I would recommend doing it after you have finished the main plotline but it's not of huge consequence if you don't. It doesn't matter at all when you play Overlord.

Ah, I just reached that spot yesterday. =) I guess I'm pretty close to the end of the main plot?

It doesn't get you a trophy on PS3 either.
Is it possible to have a romance with someone from the team in the same time, or after that? To my understanding
Liara appears in Shadow Broker
, so if I'm with Kelly until then and then switch, would that be possible? =P

Will leave Shadow Broker for dessert then.

EatChildren said:
I agree with you. ME2's plot revelations had a ton of problems (you might want to make sure you spoiler tag stuff about the Collectors and the like though in your original post).

The reveal I'm dreading is the "TRUE SUPER SECRET MOTIVES BEHIND THE REAPERS." Assuming they decide to go with something other than
"organic slushee harvests"
. The Reapers already have a lot in common with Revelation Space's inhibitors/wolves, I wonder if they'll bother trying to come up with a pseudo-noble intention for the Reapers like Reynolds did. Again, assuming it ends up being anything other than
Haha foolish mortals you cannot fathom our existence >>> we need your goop to reproduce / we are ascending you blah blah blah

Sai

First time replaying ME2 with the Shadow Broker DLC. Kinda weird that they throw the assignment/message at you immediately after
Horizon
. Thought it'd pop up after you finish up all those lil' assignments on Illium.

EatChildren said:
But even the narrative it self isn't as well done. My reaction to the two games is still coloring my opinions but the way the game flowed and its story in general was not of the same quality as the first game.

Lakitu

st5fu
Lostconfused said:
But even the narrative it self isn't as well done. My reaction to the two games is still coloring my opinions but the way the game flowed and its story in general was not of the same quality as the first game.

The main story was just a series of random shoot-em-up levels (Freedom's Progress, Horizon,
Collector Ship, Reaper IFF,
and
Collector Base
. The only one I really enjoyed was the last one. The
Reaper
was just awful,
just fighting random Husks (who are easily the worst enemy in the game) running at you constantly sucked.
The pacing was pretty horrible. In fact, I'd say the biggest disappointment was the main story -- not just in general but in design as well. Hopefully they revert it back into ME 1 style where it segued into the locations you actually spent most of your time in rather than just tacked on rushed missions.

So I was playing the Overlord DLC (which is pretty awesome so far - just got to the third station before calling it a night) and I got some weird graphical issues. In the main linking section where you are piloting the Hammerhead the game's LoD seemed to be borked as the ground textures were really pixellated, like they were only meant to be seen from a distance and the foliage didn't so much pop-in as emerge-in really suddenly. It's a shame because that area is beautiful otherwise and came just as I was thinking it'd be nice to have more outdoor enviroments.

Then when I finished the Prometheus Station and it reloaded me outside the ship the game went all psychadelic, even the UI elements were affected. I tried reloading but that did nothing and when I quit to the main menu it was messed up as well. Quitting the game entirely and restarting fixed the psychadelia but not the LoD.

Melchiah

Lakitu said:
Nope, but you'll get to go other places in the Citadel through some missions.

Bummer. =( I was expecting to see again the familiar places that I visited when I played ME1 on my friend's Xbox. Hopefully the rumored DLC will allow that.

Melchiah said:
Bummer. =( I was expecting to see again the familiar places that I visited when I played ME1 on my friend's Xbox. Hopefully the rumored DLC will allow that.
I was really disappointed with how limited the Citadel was, but I think that was intentional.

To show the progress was slow. Still blew. We get it HD development is hard. Still wanted to see ME1 locales Bioware.

ameratsu

How does everyone think they handled the insanity difficulty in me2?

It's my third playthrough of me2 but some parts just feel tedious. It's not even really 'difficult' persay, just that the number of enemies takes so long to defeat. I'm playing as an adept, about 1/2 done the main campaign. I think some of it has to do with the class I'm playing; my vanguard playthrough on hardcore seemed so much easier it wasn't even funny.

I wonder how they could have handled this without making you kill enemies who always seem to come in predictable but never-ending waves.

Mithos

Loyalty question.

I'm currently at the point where I can pick up: Miranda's, Jake's, and Jacob's loyalty quest.

I know that:
Miranda and Jake will get in to an argument if I finish both loyalty quests, and that if I don't have enough renegae/paragon I will loose one of their loyalties.
HOWEVER, can I still PICK up both quest to my log, but just ignore doing one of them or do I have to skip one and pick it up at a later time?

My hats off to Bioware. Put in about 41 hours into the game and loved every minute of it (minus the sex scene with Miranda *weird*). I'll most likely get the platinum for this before ME3 comes out but I can't wait for the new DLC. I hope the new DLC is as meaty as the Shadow Broker.

IoCaster

Mithos said:
Loyalty question.

I'm currently at the point where I can pick up: Miranda's, Jake's, and Jacob's loyalty quest.

I know that:
Miranda and Jake will get in to an argument if I finish both loyalty quests, and that if I don't have enough renegae/paragon I will loose one of their loyalties.
HOWEVER, can I still PICK up both quest to my log, but just ignore doing one of them or do I have to skip one and pick it up at a later time?

Journal entries don't matter. The main point is to get any confrontations done sooner rather than later because the longer you wait the harder they get.

TheYanger

Melchiah said:
. When and where does
the abduction

You can't actually do anything wtih Kelly until after Omega 4. And she doesn't give you paramour afaik. She's like a little side fling you can have :p

Melchiah

TheYanger said:
You can't actually do anything wtih Kelly until after Omega 4. And she doesn't give you paramour afaik. She's like a little side fling you can have :p

I'm still wondering whether you can have both, Kelly and someone from your team? I'd like to have the Paramour trophy, but I want a little girl-on-girl action with Kelly even more. =P

What if I have a romance with Kelly after Omega 4, and then go for the DLC and L'iara? Would that be possible?

lucius

ameratsu said:
How does everyone think they handled the insanity difficulty in me2?

It's my third playthrough of me2 but some parts just feel tedious. It's not even really 'difficult' persay, just that the number of enemies takes so long to defeat. I'm playing as an adept, about 1/2 done the main campaign. I think some of it has to do with the class I'm playing; my vanguard playthrough on hardcore seemed so much easier it wasn't even funny.

I wonder how they could have handled this without making you kill enemies who always seem to come in predictable but never-ending waves.

I am having a good time doing insanity with a new game as Infiltrator and it is much easier than my level 30 hardcore soldier playthrough. I am more bothered by having to rescan planets for the minerals to upgrade things.

abcderik

Neo Member
Finished my third playthrough yesterday, so obviously I enjoyed the game a lot. For ME3 I hope they make some changes to the combat system though. One problem is that quite a few powers can only be used once the enemy is down to health, but at that point you might aswell just finish off the enemy with your weapons.

Regarding the ps3-verson, I think the game has surprisingly many bugs. I've had numerous freezes, my character has been stuck in the wall more than once (which forced me to restart) screen has gone completely black once and another time purple, weird textures during the Overlord mission, and one time I couldn't progress a mission because the last enemy that needed to be killed "sunk" into the floor/ground. At least Bioware fixed the more critical bugs in the patch...

Melchiah

abcderik said:
Regarding the ps3-verson, I think the game has surprisingly many bugs. I've had numerous freezes, my character has been stuck in the wall more than once (which forced me to restart) screen has gone completely black once and another time purple, weird textures during the Overlord mission, and one time I couldn't progress a mission because the last enemy that needed to be killed "sunk" into the floor/ground. At least Bioware fixed the more critical bugs in the patch...

I agree. Along with Heavy Rain, ME2 is the most bug-ridden game I've played so far. Had one complete system freeze when playing both. Plus, there are quite a few graphical glitches in ME2; f.ex. a face of the guy I talked with became a see-through all of a sudden (I don't remember the scene where or when it took place).

Someone on my youtube watch list favorited this, and I thought I would share it with you guys. It's a song written for commander shepard set to game footage. It would fit nicely into the first game as a dance/club song, haha. I wasn't expecting much, but it's actually pretty nice.

Spoilers in the song's video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHseWNr7iKk
Edit: Here's the original - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeY-2ovpF9c

Melchiah, I know there are both 360 and ps3 issues with the game, but I don't recall ever reading anything about faces disappearing. I'm sorry that you guys are having to suffer through all the bugs, but hopefully they'll get them sorted out sooner rather than later. It's not fun playing through something you're trying to enjoy and being kicked around with issues.

As for the Kelly + Liara thing, I don't suppose why that wouldn't work. I don't think I've seen anyone try for that, personally, so it would be interesting to see if it worked, haha! I say go for it. : P

Shinjitsu

Banned
Melchiah said:
I agree. Along with Heavy Rain, ME2 is the most bug-ridden game I've played so far. Had one complete system freeze when playing both. Plus, there are quite a few graphical glitches in ME2; f.ex. a face of the guy I talked with became a see-through all of a sudden (I don't remember the scene where or when it took place).

You don't play many games then.

Arjen

Melchiah said:

Don't ever try Bethesda games then.

Melchiah

Shinjitsu said:
You don't play many games then.

Actually I do, but I've stayed mostly with the exclusives (excluding ME2, Batman: AA, Bioshock, Dead Space and RE5), which don't tend to have bugs as much as the multiplatform titles. Why should I waste my money on something that's not even coded properly for the system I'm using.

Arjen said:
Don't ever try Bethesda games then.

I don't intend to.

Salaadin

The only ME2 glitch that got me was the weird floating bug where sometimes you float 3 feet in the air and cant get back down. I had to reload my last save a few times because of it.

sam27368

Banned
Just saw this on the Steam store, I'm glad they went for a more masculine physique for shepard in ME2. He looks like a female with a mans head on in this picture.

K4SIX.jpg

lucius

I am almost done with my 3rd playthrough, I noticed characters getting stuck in walls about 3 times, a floating character, disappearing characters and a couple freezes playing with it installed on the hard drive. Playing the 360 version on a fairly new Slim, my 1st playthrough didn't notice any bugs but the bugs sound worse than they are with so many enemies you fight throughout the game they didn't bother me, ME1 still had more bad glitches imo. There is still a glitch in ME1 where if you try to equip a certain character with any weapon or armor the game locks up making that character almost useless, think it has something to do with one of the DLC.

Gvaz

Banned
sam27368 said:
Just saw this on the Steam store, I'm glad they went for a more masculine physique for shepard in ME2. He looks like a female with a mans head on in this picture.

K4SIX.jpg

That's because the male and female shared the same skeleton. Only the model was different.

Chris_C

I have a possibly silly question to ask.

I picked this up for PS3 over the weekend (played about 2/3 of the way on PC) and now I'm on The Architect mission, however... I haven't seen any comic, interactive or otherwise that allows me to make the ME1 decisions.

What gives?

EDIT: Bit o' Googling indicates I have to download the comic... what. the. heck?!

Top Bottom