• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

Rokam

Bitch Shepard complete,
no one on the crew agreed with my decision to give the Illusive Man the base. Should've let those assholes all die.

I have to say that the renegade female voice and writing was a hell of a lot better than Paragon male. Oh well still prefer to be a good guy especially since he's nowhere near as much as a pansy as he was in ME.

GSR

Who do you guys think are going to be the worst 2 characters to keep alive for ME2? Currently attempting to keep only Zaeed and Morinth alive through the suicide mission (along with killing anyone else possible in the previous game and this one) for my newest playthrough.

If you have her, Kasumi should definitely take Zaeed's place. I don't know how much of a role they have in ME3 according to the script leaks, but if I had to guess I'd say the separate paid character is less likely to be important than the came-with-every-new-copy character.

Rokam

So kinda bummed to be finished with another playthrough but don't want to start up my third and final run through till closer to ME3's release. I've never played either Dragon Age game, would it be worth picking them up while gamestop is still doing b2g1 free deal?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Not sure if this applies to 360/PC but: Today is the day the online pass (er-"Cerebus Network") codes for PS3 Mass Effect 2 expire. Is there any way of getting a new code that isn't "LOL PAY US $15 BECAUSE YOU WAITED, BITCH?"

Well the digital version comes with cerberus network junk already and doesn't have the expiry date stipulation. And it's twenty bucks. Course it's also like 12 GB so lol.

Otherwise, one would have to deal with EA's shitty customer service and ask them for a new code.

TheSeks

Well the digital version comes with cerberus network junk already and doesn't have the expiry date stipulation. And it's twenty bucks. Course it's also like 12 GB so lol.

Otherwise, one would have to deal with EA's shitty customer service and ask them for a new code.

Is there anything you have to do to prove to them you got a new copy and it's expired, or is it simply bitch at them enough and they'll provide one?

Give them a picture of the receipt and bitch at them. Course you're not guaranteed to get a working code. NFS Hot Pursuit also had a quick expiry date and people that complained to costumer service got codes that didn't even work.

TheSeks

:/

It's still completely stupid to lock single-player content behind an expiring/one-time-use code. But I guess I'll attempt to bitch at EA... not sure how well that'll go.

Plasma

Banned
:/

It's still completely stupid to lock single-player content behind an expiring/one-time-use code. But I guess I'll attempt to bitch at EA... not sure how well that'll go.

Even worse when you can't buy some of the content either, I still don't have the terminus gear for ME2 :/

An-Det

Not sure if this applies to 360/PC but: Today is the day the online pass (er-"Cerebus Network") codes for PS3 Mass Effect 2 expire. Is there any way of getting a new code that isn't "LOL PAY US $15 BECAUSE YOU WAITED, BITCH?"

The fuck? I didn't expect the codes to expire at all. Are the 360 codes dead already then?

The fuck? I didn't expect the codes to expire at all. Are the 360 codes dead already then?

All online passes expires they usually have a 2 or 3 year delay before expiration and in some rares cases , it's less .. it's a total shame on both EA & bioware.

gogogow

Fucking brilliant.
But the Cerberus Network code doesn't include the other DLC right? Does the PS3 version come with two codes? Or are the other stuff on the disc?

gogogow

Wording is strange, it sounds like you need to have Cerberus to access content that's on the disc, but I'm probably reading it wrong.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/5188310

Thanks for the link. It seems the 6 hour of dlc are on the BD. The Cerberus code is for the content that was previously available on the PC/360 version.

Firstly I'd like to talk about what's on the BluRay Disc; Of course Mass Effect 2 will be included. On top of that, Lair of the Shadow Broker, Project Overlord, Kasumi: Stolen Memory and the Blood Dragon Armour.

Also included is, as on Xbox 360 and PC, an access code to the Cerberus Network. This will give you instant access to the same great lineup of Downloadable Content such as Zaeed and Firewalker.

I would still like to play the PS3 version (though I already finished the PC version a loooong time ago), but damn at the DLC expiry date.

EA stated that if the pass included in the new game is expired, users can download a new pass or attain one from EA directly. Granted, it’s an annoying extra step legitimate buyers shouldn’t have to take, but at least it is better than no multiplayer at all.

I don't get this. If the content is still on the network why have an expiry date? And i'm talking about a sealed copy not a used one. Probably just EA being EA.

Thanks for the link. It seems the 6 hour of dlc are on the BD. The Cerberus code is for the content that was previously available on the PC/360 version.

I would still like to play the PS3 version (though I already finished the PC version a loooong time ago), but damn at the DLC expiry date.

I don't get this. If the content is still on the network why have an expiry date? And i'm talking about a sealed copy not a used one. Probably just EA being EA.

EA in being c**ts shocker. There was a horror story about EA refusing to give a new code for BF3 to someone who got a used/invalid one with his game, I fully expect the same will be done here.

Now i noticed that my cerberus code has expired :(

360 version :/

Have you tried it or are you going by the date on the card?

EA in being c**ts shocker. There was a horror story about EA refusing to give a new code for BF3 to someone who got a used/invalid one with his game, I fully expect the same will be done here.

Have you tried it or are you going by the date on the card?

tried it and no work...

Now I´m talking with someone of EA so I´m waiting :3

So after some minutes talking with a very nice person called Saumil (HE ROCKS!)

He added to my account the cerberus network!!!!!

Mzva7.jpg

Thanks Again Saumil!

TheSeks

Well, e-mailed EA got this:

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts Customer Support.

The issue you are facing looks to be related to game play mechanics, We would suggest you to post this issue on our forums, so that other players can help you with this. Official forums can be located at the below given link: -

You can reach the main forums web site for EA games at http://forums.ea.com.

The development thread on this issue is http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/subindex/102

Hope this help!!!

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you ever have a Technical/Account/Billing problem or question. For the latest technical support information about your favorite EA games, be sure to check out our online support page at (http://help.ea.com).

Sincerely,

Kapil
Electronic Arts – World Wide Customer Experience.

Gee, thanks, Kapil. That does nothing for me.

ASDFFGHJKL;dlfjalj!!!!! Now I gotta see if their live chat works.

TheSeks

Thank you for Contacting Electronic Arts.

Please note that currently we do not have the codes available in the tool so please wait for some time and wait for 5-7 days.

ASDFGJHGK:DADFALKJGAL''' And this is after they gave me a code that was invalid. Goddamn it, EA support.

And their Live Chat has mysteriously vanished for me.

That's EA and current Bioware for you. It really sucks. Though honestly Zaeed and the firewalker missions kind of blow so you're not missing that much.

Dilly

Banned
Doing a Renegade replay. Actually managed not to romance anyone in ME1 so my Shephard is butthurt and forever alone.

Doing a Renegade replay. Actually managed not to romance anyone in ME1 so my Shephard is butthurt and forever alone.
I thought my lady Shepard was forever alone once I had beaten the game... then Kelly says I have a new message on my private terminal... and it's from "kellygrrl" and says I should call her up to my room. what ensued was quite creepy.

I found ME2 vastly superior to the first. I just wish there were more dialogue options with the Illusive Man. You can listen to random NPCs drone on and on and on and on about stuff totally irrelevant to the main story, but you're rarely given many dialogue options with the one character you want to know more about!

I also regret losing
Legion
in the final mission (I would've put Mirranda or Jacob in control of the second party, but my distrust of Cerberus led me to select Samara - bad choice), but I consoled myself with the knowledge that
Legion
is not an individual but rather part of a collective, so he's actually not dead... :(. Everyone else lived...

and fuck the illusive man

I also regret losing
Legion
in the final mission (I would've put Mirranda or Jacob in control of the second party, but my distrust of Cerberus led me to select Samara - bad choice), but I consoled myself with the knowledge that
Legion
is not an individual but rather part of a collective, so he's actually not dead... :(. Everyone else lived...

and fuck the illusive man

I don't know what death scene you got, but
he probably is dead - in some death scenes he tries to download to another station and fails, because beyond the Omega 4 relay there's no signal or other Geth in any nearby area, and thus nowhere for him to download to. His last words if he dies in a less sudden way are something like "Storing Backup - Error - No Carrier, No Carrier, No Carrier--" - so he's dead. Forever.

Grisby

cant believe a goty version of this never came out on 360...sales on dlc have been kinda insignificant as well...
Really odd. I thought one would have come out by now too. On Live they had one sale for the DLC and I was glad to have picked up on it.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Random: The only thing I do wish were changed in ME2 is the max level of 30. It's way too low. I recently finished some of the DLC and got so much extra XP that it didn't affect me at all. I wish I could unlock all the powers.

The only thing I do wish were changed in ME2 is the max level of 30. It's way too low.

We don't know how imports will work yet, but way back when ME2 was just coming out people were angry that saves wouldn't carry directly from 1 to 2 in terms of progression. Bioware explained that the level reset from ME1/2 due to how changed the combat system was, and that there'd be a more proper progression moving from 2 to 3 - so you might see the cap in 3 go straight from 50 to 100 or something.

Or they'll turn their back on that particular quote. I can't seem to dig it out at the minute, but I remember it very clearly.

Patryn

Random: The only thing I do wish were changed in ME2 is the max level of 30. It's way too low. I recently finished some of the DLC and got so much extra XP that it didn't affect me at all. I wish I could unlock all the powers.

Level progression carries over to ME3. That's why the low level limit, so they have somewhere to go in that game.

hateradio

I don't like that. It's so limiting! I like being able to get everything. Plus, all the XP that I've gained is worthless in this model.

I think they should do what they did with ME to ME2, as in they just give you some bonus XP at the start. I'm fine with starting at level one.

Level progression carries over to ME3. That's why the low level limit, so they have somewhere to go in that game.
We'll see how that goes. Still, it doesn't fulfill my completion complex for ME2.

ZeroCDR

So I have a new copy of ME2 PS3 arriving to me in a few days, and I understand the Cerberus DLC is expired.

I contacted EA chat support about it, and they gave me a UK Code for Cerberus Network (TheSeks, they may have given you one as well, it doesn't work on US accounts). Yep, EA literally told me to make a fraudulent UK PSN account and redeem this code, so I did.

I have a question, does anyone know if the UK Cerberus DLC will even be compatible with my US ME2? The rep seemed confident that it would, but I'm doubtful. I have the DLC installed, but I don't want to crack open a new copy if it's not going to work.

TheSeks

So I have a new copy of ME2 PS3 arriving to me in a few days, and I understand the Cerberus DLC is expired.

I contacted EA chat support about it, and they gave me a UK Code for Cerberus Network (TheSeks, they may have given you one as well, it doesn't work on US accounts). Yep, EA literally told me to make a fraudulent UK PSN account and redeem this code, so I did.

I have a question, does anyone know if the UK Cerberus DLC will even be compatible with my US ME2? The rep seemed confident that it would, but I'm doubtful. I have the DLC installed, but I don't want to crack open a new copy if it's not going to work.

I guess I'll login to my UK account and check, but fat load of good that'll do since my game is US?

OMG they did. WTF, EA. :/

I guess I'll check for you since my copy is already opened.

TheSeks

Wow that would be fantastic, thanks!

Hahaha. Nope. Like I thought, content that is PSN store related has to be same-region as your disc. No go. But thanks for the free UK Cerebus Pack I guess, EA?

Now give me a damn US code. :|

To anyone playing ME2 for the first time: start on veteran or hardcore difficulty. I upped the difficulty near the end of the game, and the battles became SO much more satisfying because you are forced to employ a competent combination of tactics and precision. Trust me, once you get over the initial learning curve, you will have a lot more fun at any difficulty above normal.

Can anyone comment on improvements to PC version of ME2, especially graphics wise?

I am playing through pc version of mass effect 1 which is a big improvement over the 360 version (framerate and vsync in particular), but I am concerned about ME3 and importing a ME2 steam save to a pc version (as of now looks like ME3 is a origin exclusive)

I already have a xbox ME1 save so I can play and finish ME2 on xbox 360 if pc version isnt a significant improvement (I dont mind a controller because I couch game anyway with a pc laptop, and a mouse doesnt work so well)

Nizz

To anyone playing ME2 for the first time: start on veteran or hardcore difficulty. I upped the difficulty near the end of the game, and the battles became SO much more satisfying because you are forced to employ a competent combination of tactics and precision. Trust me, once you get over the initial learning curve, you will have a lot more fun at any difficulty above normal.
I started on normal myself. I'm pretty new to RPG games. Honestly this is basically my first RPG game. I had Elder Scrolls: Oblivion but I created a character and started a quest or two but it didn't grab me at all and I ended up giving it to my nephew.

I got this game as a Christmas gift along with Uncharted 1 & 2. I was almost done with U2 when I said to myself let me check out Mass Effect 2 to activate the Cerberus Network and grab whatever extras came along with the game. Glad I did because that's when I noticed the expiration date so I quickly entered the code and activated it.

Been enjoying the game so far, I'm at a mission where I have to activate two satellites(?) I believe. One named Prometheus. Think I'm getting the hang of ordering teammates when taking on enemies. I went with the stock male Shepard character. I can always do a replay and create my own character in the future.

ZeroCDR

Hey guys just a quick update, my PS3 copy arrived today and I went ahead and opened it. The Cerberus code still works, so yay :D

Can anyone comment on improvements to PC version of ME2, especially graphics wise?

I am playing through pc version of mass effect 1 which is a big improvement over the 360 version (framerate and vsync in particular), but I am concerned about ME3 and importing a ME2 steam save to a pc version (as of now looks like ME3 is a origin exclusive)

I already have a xbox ME1 save so I can play and finish ME2 on xbox 360 if pc version isnt a significant improvement (I dont mind a controller because I couch game anyway with a pc laptop, and a mouse doesnt work so well)

I bought ME1 and 2 on the steam sale, so I can comment.

ME2 runs at 60 fps, 1080p with no hitches on my machine (3 ghz, 4 gb RAM, 5770 card). apparently, the console versions have areas with a lot of slowdown (I heard this on the player 1 podcast), but nothing unbearable. loading is quite tolerable - I've heard it's an issue with the console version, but I had no problems with the PC version.

the save files for both ME1 and ME2 are in the bioware folder in My Documents. C:\Users\Your Name\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Save
C:\Users\Your Name\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Save

When you import the game for ME2, and I presume for ME3, you will just have to tell the launcher where to look for the save file you wish to import. it's that easy. I'm sure it will work regardless of how you purchase it.

minor complaints: ME2 has fewer hotkeys. so instead of pressing I to access inventory, you need to press ESC and then click inventory (similar to how it'd work on a console). that applies to the map and squad as well. none of the guns are hotkeyed to the F keys as they were in previous games. you can still use hotkeys 1 - 8 to place powers. otherwise, it works pretty well. better than a controller. but since you prefer a controller, this is irrelevant.

hateradio

. . . I am concerned about ME3 and importing a ME2 steam save to a pc version (as of now looks like ME3 is a origin exclusive)
The file is located in your Document's folder, so it doesn't matter where you bought the game.

The game had a bit of mouse lag for me, so I had to disable VSync in the config; even though it was disabled, however, I didn't notice any real screen tearing.

By default ME2 does not have any AA, but you can force it or use FXAA, which is what I now do.

PS: Some of the textures aren't great, but there is at least one mod that improves a few things.

thefro

Playing through this for the first time now... definitely good stuff.

I'm playing on PC... is any of the DLC worth it? My Steam copy came with the Cerberus Network key, so I got all that stuff.

Does any of the DLC ever go on sale because it's ridiclous to pay $30 to get the rest of the DLC missions when I only paid $10 for the game.

Playing through this for the first time now... definitely good stuff.

I'm playing on PC... is any of the DLC worth it? My Steam copy came with the Cerberus Network key, so I got all that stuff.

Does any of the DLC ever go on sale because it's ridiclous to pay $30 to get the rest of the DLC missions when I only paid $10 for the game.

It goes on sale once in a blue moon.

If you're really itching for more, go for it. Otherwise, just get Lair of Shadow Broker and maybe Kasumi/Overlord if you want. All three of them are great, but LotSB is the best, by far.

Top Bottom