• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

X-Frame

Finished the Firewalker and Overlord DLC for the first time tonight and thought they both were boring.

LOTSB and Kasumi's were miles ahead of those.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Finished the Firewalker and Overlord DLC for the first time tonight and thought they both were boring.

LOTSB and Kasumi's were miles ahead of those.
I thought Kasumi's was boring, actually. There was nothing particularly interesting about the first part of it. I also played it after I finished the game, which made her a pretty useless character.

Woorloog

Banned
I thought Kasumi's was boring, actually. There was nothing particularly interesting about the first part of it. I also played it after I finished the game, which made her a pretty useless character.

If claimed early, Kasumi is the best possible party member due to her Shadowstrike, whose rank 1 can one-shot most people even on Insanity...
And of course she also has the best CC of the game. Flashgrenade ignores defences, overheats weapons and stuns enemies for a long time. Longer than its cooldown.

Chris R

So I popped this back in a few days ago. I installed the game and dlc on my old console and played a few hours. When I tried to play the system said the game installation was not valid. So I deleted the install and did it again. Loaded the game to see a popup that the dlc was corrupt making it impossible to play my saves.

The dlc is there, it was just installed on a different console and brought over. Will connecting to live fix this? I'm getting internet soon so I hope the solution is simple and quick and doesn't involve redownloading everything.

Tizoc

Having completed Thane and Garru's loyalty missions recently and then talking to them in the Normandy...the thread's subtitle is starting to make sense (my character is Fem Shephard).
Speaking of which; what happens if I
let Sidonis escape? Do we learn why he betrayed Garrus? I just let Garrus kill him >_>;
Thane's a badass BTW~

X-Frame

If claimed early, Kasumi is the best possible party member due to her Shadowstrike, whose rank 1 can one-shot most people even on Insanity...
And of course she also has the best CC of the game. Flashgrenade ignores defences, overheats weapons and stuns enemies for a long time. Longer than its cooldown.

I maxed out her flash grenade, shadow strike, and has passive and she was invaluable in many missions, especially the Collector ones where she reduced Harbinger to a lost puppy for the entire thing.

Rapstah

Having completed Thane and Garru's loyalty missions recently and then talking to them in the Normandy...the thread's subtitle is starting to make sense (my character is Fem Shephard).
Speaking of which; what happens if I
let Sidonis escape? Do we learn why he betrayed Garrus? I just let Garrus kill him >_>;
Thane's a badass BTW~

I stopped him from shooting him. He's sorry and was threatened by mercenaries and turns himself into C-Sec, as you learn via either e-mail or news broadcast (can't remember).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stupid shitty bugged game. Seems a lot of the game's variables are tethered to achievements, not actual save files, which introduces some strange bugs when you import an old character save into a newly installed game. As in, your character is from a previous install, but your new install doesn't have unlocked achievements because they don't carry over.

I've had to use a save file editor to give my Shepard the 51 talent points you're supposed to have, as I was ten short despite being stuck at level 30.

Who knows what else bugged out. Hopefully this doesn't wreck my import into ME3.

Firewalker was the only DLC i found not on par with the others.
LotSB obviously stands above but Arrival/Overlord/Stolen Memory all had decent stories, fun encounters and warranted the purchase price easily for me .

Woorloog

Banned
Firewalker was the only DLC i found not on par with the others.
LotSB obviously stands above but Arrival/Overlord/Stolen Memory all had decent stories, fun encounters and warranted the purchase price easily for me .

Well, Firewalker is free. So considering it's "price" it is decent. Still the worst DLC that adds additional areas...

Tizoc

I stopped him from shooting him. He's sorry and was threatened by mercenaries and turns himself into C-Sec, as you learn via either e-mail or news broadcast (can't remember).

Aha, might do that if I consider replaying the game.
EDIT: BTW, what does the Fake ID I picked up during Garrus' loyalty mission do?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
for me it goes like this:

1)Shadow Broker

2)Overlord - this has the perfect ending and writing makes me feel hopeful about ME3. I'm rarely emotionally disturbed playing Bioware games (what I feel is basically: FUCK YEAH I'M KICKING ASS IN AN EPIC FIGHT AND MY BROS ARE FIGHTING ALONG WITH ME
ALSO I MAKE IMPORTANT DECISIONS
) but this DLC made me feel uncomfortable in the end.

3)Kasumi

lol Arrival

Kurtofan

Aha, might do that if I consider replaying the game.
EDIT: BTW, what does the Fake ID I picked up during Garrus' loyalty mission do?

Once you do Thane's LM, there's an asari near the C Sec who's complaining that's she's been blacklisted and can't board a ship, you can give her the ID to help her get out.

Mindlog

2)Overlord - this has the perfect ending and writing makes me feel hopeful about ME3. I'm rarely emotionally disturbed playing Bioware games (what I feel is basically: FUCK YEAH I'M KICKING ASS IN AN EPIC FIGHT AND MY BROS ARE FIGHTING ALONG WITH ME
ALSO I MAKE IMPORTANT DECISIONS
) but this DLC made me feel uncomfortable in the end.
I would buy Dragon Age 3 if Bioware had the stones to give the Renegade choice a huge advantage in Mass Effect 3. I really liked Overlord.

Samara

Argh! How do I kill
Miranda? yeah I wanted Legion and her dead, but she still makes it, even if she's leader, on both counts! I want her dead for what she did to Jacob.

Yeah I romanced Jacob
Deal-with-it-Shepard.jpg

Kinda of scratching my head on how I'm going to
kill everyone except Morinth, if all the supposed "learders still make it no matter what.

I want the worst start of ME3 ever.

Tizoc

Once you do Thane's LM, there's an asari near the C Sec who's complaining that's she's been blacklisted and can't board a ship, you can give her the ID to help her get out.

Thanks, will go give it to her after I finish Tali's LM.

BTW,
Miranda and Jack got in a quarrel and I sided with Jack so Miranda's being a bitch; my Paragon is one bar from being full. Can I fill it up before using the Omega 4 Relay?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Finally can start ME2 since a junior gave me a working US Cerebus Pack code, thanks dude! Migrated my 360 character choices over.

So I'm going to start the game/first playthrough on Insanity as a Sentinel. How fucked am I with this class choice + wanting Garrus and the not-Wrex-but-"Wrex" Krogan on my team permanately for this run?

Arjen

Finally can start ME2 since a junior gave me a working US Cerebus Pack code, thanks dude! Migrated my 360 character choices over.

So I'm going to start the game/first playthrough on Insanity as a Sentinel. How fucked am I with this class choice + wanting Garrus and the not-Wrex-but-"Wrex" Krogan on my team permanately for this run?

Sentinel is a pretty good class for Insanity, tech shields can be a live saver.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Garrus dies pretty quickly I've found, unless you tediously micromanage him to stay behind cover. I like the damage he deals, and it's handy to have someone with armour piercing rounds, concussion shot, and overload. Makes him pretty useful in a variety of situation and for knocking dudes off their feet. Just not the best for taking damage.

But you'll have Grunt with you, so as long as he's the one absorbing shots then Garrus should be just fine.

BTW,
Miranda and Jack got in a quarrel and I sided with Jack so Miranda's being a bitch; my Paragon is one bar from being full. Can I fill it up before using the Omega 4 Relay?

Paragon/Renegade bars are a bit deceptive, as they're not entirely based off earned points, but instead a percentage. Same goes for the paragon/renegade checks in some conversations. I, for example, have hit almost every Paragon option in the game, yet if I respec my character I find the bar is only half or so full. It's the percentage modifiers from my stats that bring it all the way up to full. You can, in theory, get 100% of paragon/renegade 'points' available in the game and still fail a check simply because you don't have any percentage modifiers bringing it up to the right level.

Tizoc

Redistributed my points and got the Upgrade that gives you 100% paragaon/renegade, and regained Miri's loyalty \m/
Also beat the game and got most of the endgame trophies. Now for the Shadow Broker and hopefully by beating it I get enough EXP to get the Lvl. 30 trophy~

All in all, I liked the setting, world and characters of the game, but the combat didn't impress me at all.

Mindlog

Sentinel is a pretty good class for Insanity, tech shields can be a live saver.
Yeah, Sentinel is nearly indestructible with Tech Armor. Get the assault upgrade and just walk around with a shotgun. Like a really slow Vanguard.

EatChildren said:
Paragon/Renegade bars are a bit deceptive, as they're not entirely based off earned points, but instead a percentage.
Yeah, that really screws with the end-game for a lot of people. They need to fix that.

ps Is there any chance we can get a second 'multiplayer' EC moderated thread in here when the game launches? Bioware threads are just a chore to read. The inanity is straight out of, Deception.

*What happened when Deception launched?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0345520734/?tag=neogaf0e-20
As soon as the book was released people started rating the game. This included a few of Amazon's Top 100 reviewers. They obviously hadn't read the book and are were outed trying to run up their scores. Some of them tried to pull reviews before anyone noticed. mildly amusing.

EatChildren

ps Is there any chance we can get a second 'multiplayer' EC moderated thread in here when the game launches? Bioware threads are just a chore to read.

Though it might seem like just me, I'm not the only moderator pretty tired with the automatic shit flinging in every Mass Effect thread, so I think moderation of the ME3 OT will be pretty tight. Nobody is opposed to a wide breadth of opinions and discussion, but certainly sick of the usual bullshit.

As for the multiplayer, I figure we'll have a specific thread for that, organising games and getting people connected, etc. Anybody shitting it up with non-multiplayer related discussion, or just trolling for trolls sake, is unlikely to last long. It wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else, so it won't be tolerated there.

I'd like to get a thread up for the demo actually, since that will be multiplayer enabled.

TheSeks

Recruited Garrus, Zaeed, and Mordin. Garrus' mission to recruit was "Yay, Garrusbro ti--wait, what? another wave!? D:!" on Insanity at level 4. Crazy. Pulled it off but had CRITICAL MISSION FAILURE about 10 or so times.

What's the best way to planet scan? I need to start upgrading my stuff.

Mindlog

Nobody is opposed to a wide breadth of opinions and discussion, but certainly sick of the usual bullshit.
Spot on.

If anyone wants a mild taste of what the ME3 multiplayer is like try the Syndicate demo.
I think EA is really stupid releasing these games so close to each other.

The Garrus recruitment mission is the hardest in the game for me. I hate those stupid shutters.

TheSeks

The Garrus recruitment mission is the hardest in the game for me. I hate those stupid shutters.

It's worth it to hear him talk about how women find him irresistible and how it's now my chance for the women to fawn over me. And then turn around and find my personal assistant wants to bone him. :lol

Tizoc

Beat the game a few days ago and finished the Shadow Broker mission.
I don't have Arrival, but I take it they are necessary since they are included in ME3's story? If so, what're some good YT playthroughs of them?
BTW, how many of my ME2 crew will be playable in ME3 (No need for names just a number).
EDIT: Actually I did have Overlord, just didn't know which one it was =P

EatChildren

Beat the game a few days ago and finished the Shadow Broker mission.
I don't have Arrival, but I take it they are necessary since they are included in ME3's story? If so, what're some good YT playthroughs of them?
BTW, how many of my ME2 crew will be playable in ME3 (No need for names just a number).
EDIT: Actually I did have Overlord, just didn't know which one it was =P

We're still kind of in the dark (unless you read the script leak) as to who is playable when in Mass Effect 3, though we do know of a few returning squadmates and some new ones. Overall though the general impression is that some missions in Mass Effect 3 will adopt a similar approach to Lair of the Shadow Broker, in that they feature a character that acts as a temporary squadmate, or a character that helps Shepard out throughout the mission.

So, I think majority of ME2's cast wont return as permanent squadmates, but will show up as temporary squaddies for specific missions, assuming they survived the suicide mission.

I'm sure you can find an Arrival playthrough on Youtube. Just search for it.

Also, we're discussing the series here if you're interested.

Tizoc

Thanks for the info, will check youtube for it then.
Also I've watched some random ME2 videos on YT and...do the graphics look much better on PC than PS3? I was watching the cutscene before starting
Legion's loyalty mission
and the models looked much better than what I saw on my PS3.

EatChildren

Thanks for the info, will check youtube for it then.
Also I've watched some random ME2 videos on YT and...do the graphics look much better on PC than PS3? I was watching the cutscene before starting
Legion's loyalty mission
and the models looked much better than what I saw on my PS3.

The advantage of all PC games is the cleaner IQ. Higher resolution image, crisper display, cleaner textures, etc. Pretty sure ME2 also increases the lighting complexity and overall texture resolution a little bit. So yeah, it does look better :p.

There's also fan made texture packs that increase texture detail. This shot I took of Garrus is a good example of how nice you can make the game look.

10hkor.jpg

Holy shit that's amazing.
I might consider getting an ME game for my PC now.
If you're not extremely urgent to have it on PC, you might just consider waiting until a sale. ME1 (and ME2, from the last few months) tend to go on sale for like $5 each on steam, I believe. It's an easier way of justifying the double-dipping. : P

Sai

Has Bioware ever given a good reason—or any reason at all as to why the bugs related to the Sirta Foundation, and Conrad Verner in Mass Effect were never patched? Seems like it'd be an easy fix.

I know there's a way to see the Paragon result of the latter through some save file editing, but I wanted to have a vanilla playthrough without any of that ready, in case ME3 doesn't play nice with it.

It's weird going through the game again and hearing about Sirta going through rough times, and Conrad talking about staring down the barrel of Shepard's gun, when they weren't supposed to happen!

EatChildren

I don't think they've given a good reason, but it's ME1 that would need patching, not ME2 unfortunately, which is probably why they never bothered as the problems might not have been noticeable until ME2 came out. In Conrad's case its simple a bad flagging in the save file, which is very easily fixed.

The Sirta Foundation one was broken in the first game too, I think. Or it might have been the biotic one, where even after saving the hostages the news cast still reports everyone dead. Again, no word from BioWare or any attempt to fix it. Same goes for the Packages for Ish quest in ME2.

I figure the Conrad one wont be a big deal as you can still Paragon/Renegade him in the sequel, and I suppose ME3 will read that choice rather than whatever you said in the first game.

Leonsito

Is this the thread for the 360 version too?

Anyway, I started ME2 this week, I did a couple of the main missions, but I just noticed that there are a lot of DLC to download, I installed a few of them that were free (part of the cerberus network I suppose): Normandy's crash site, the Zaeed one, project firewalker, and the armor and weapon ones.

But then I realized that maybe it isn't the best option to download everything from the start of the game, so I stopped there.

From the rest of the DLC these are the only ones worth right?:

Arrival
Lair of the Shadow Broker
Overlord
Kasumi

Should I download them now or after finishing the game?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is this the thread for the 360 version too?

Anyway, I started ME2 this week, I did a couple of the main missions, but I just noticed that there are a lot of DLC to download, I installed a few of them that were free (part of the cerberus network I suppose): Normandy's crash site, the Zaeed one, project firewalker, and the armor and weapon ones.

But then I realized that maybe it isn't the best option to download everything from the start of the game, so I stopped there.

From the rest of the DLC these are the only ones worth right?:

Arrival
Lair of the Shadow Broker
Overlord
Kasumi

Should I download them now or after finishing the game?

Kasumi could be good to get early, nothing fun in getting a new squadmate so late in the game. Plus her abilities are quite cool.
You can do Overlord whenever you feel like it, since its story has nothing to do with the main one.
Lair of the Shadow Broker gives you the ability to reset your squadmates skills, so that could be good to get as soon as you can. But i think you can only do that after you did some Illum missions. Its the best DLC too!
Get Arrival for the end since its story ties with ME3 beginning.

Leonsito

Kasumi could be good to get early, nothing fun in getting a new squadmate so late in the game. Plus her abilities are quite cool.
You can do Overlord whenever you feel like it, since its story has nothing to do with the main one.
Lair of the Shadow Broker gives you the ability to reset your squadmates skills, so that could be good to get as soon as you can. But i think you can only do that after you did some Illum missions. Its the best DLC too!
Get Arrival for the end since its story ties with ME3 beginning.

Thanks! That was a very informative answer and exactly what I wanted to read!

Btw... no Mako? Getting resources is just ... bombing a planet with probes? :(

Edit: And where are the weapon stats?

Bisnic

Well, you just mentioned 2 things people were disappointed in ME2. No more mako for planet explorations, although there is the Hammerhead for a vehicule, but its limited to a few planets(and Overlord) and its mostly linear missions(except Overlord which give you a little more freedom as to where you wanna go).

For stats...lol. You have like 2-3 pistols/rifles/shotguns/snipers/machine guns with the only difference being their rate of fire, range, power and ammo limit. Nothing like ME1 at all. Thankfully ME3 is going to be more like a mix of ME1 and ME2. Hopefully it will be good.

Patryn

There are no weapon stats. You just have to go by the description and how the weapon feels to you.

Bisnic

Well, you just mentioned 2 things people were disappointed in ME2. No more mako for planet explorations, although there is the Hammerhead for a vehicule, but its limited to a few planets(and Overlord) and its mostly linear stuff(except Overlord which give you a little more freedom as to where you wanna go).

For stats...lol. You have like 2-3 pistols/rifles/shotguns/snipers/machine guns with the only difference being their rate of fire, range, power and ammo limit. Also, add a bunch of heavy weapons too like rocket launchers, grenade launchers, nuke weapon or flamethrower. Nothing like ME1 at all.
Thankfully ME3 is going to be more like a mix of ME1 and ME2. Hopefully it will be good.

MNC

Finally finished this. It was quite the ride with ups and downs.

For starters, I enjoy Mass Effect as a game by itself greatly. The polish is great and the gameplay works great, tight squad controls and whatnot. Hotkeybar dragging notwithstanding.

As a Mass Effect game the gameplay felt 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Removing alot of the typical RPG aspects (of which Mass Effect already had so few of) made the little bit of action RPG it had going for pretty much nonexistant. When I started playing, I hated the mission reports, not getting live XP per kill, no way to heal (medi gel doesn't even heal Shepard!) and the weapon mod system was superior in ME1 in every single way.

As for the storyline; whereas ME1 followed a pretty clear line with a "good" (opinion) story, going from A to B, following and eventually killing Saren, it just worked. You have an opening, you have a main piece, followed by one or two twists, working towards the ending set piece where it all ends with a big bang.

In ME2, you have an opening. The 'main piece' then comes in, which is a collection of missions to hire random space bikers, a story mission that didn't do anything to progress the story, hiring more random space bikers, another random story mission, and then you have a loyalty mission for each of your bikers, and then all of a sudden the endmission comes into play. It feels so fragmented and makes no sense at all. It didn't feel like the people were joining you on behalf of an ulterior motive, which it did in ME1. In the end, all you had were recruiting and loyalty missions, and 2-3 story missions (it felt to me like it were 2-3! Saving the colonists, getting the Reaper IFF)

The squad controls have been tightened since ME1 and the loss of alot of the powers is really a downer. Missing singularity hurts! The powers that did stay are really polished and it now actually seems to do something.

Also,
lol terminator larva.

In the end ME2 really grew on me and I learned to live with alot of the missing RPG aspects. Also, the suicide mission is a great piece of how different outcomes could occur. Wish Bioware would do these things (albeit less severe, so no suicides/deaths etc) more often.

So that's my mini-review. :3

I was late getting into this, so my Ceberus code is expired. Can I still download the Zaeed mission for free? Or do I have to pay now? I can't access my 360 now or else I would just look on there.

Smokey

So I started playing this game again after not playing it for MONTHS. I was a level 7 Vanguard so I was still early in the game. Completely forgot the story and what was going on, but I just jumped back in anyway. Took a second to relearn the controls, but then I was off.

BTW game doesn't look too hot graphically. I really want to get ME3 on PC...but I have my character from ME1 and 2 on 360...fuuuuuu :/

I forgot that I downloaded the expansion packs (Overlord and the other vehicle one) so I thought they were just apart of the game. I have a problem with having to probe every planet in a system and completing everything so I started playing it...

Overlord was quite boring to me. But that ending...wtf...some weird and creepy shit. As I was nearing the end I just kept saying "wtf is going on". Shit was making my skin crawl.

But I finished it so back to the main game I go...maybe I should just focus on the story missions?

Bisnic

So I started playing this game again after not playing it for MONTHS. I was a level 7 Vanguard so I was still early in the game. Completely forgot the story and what was going on, but I just jumped back in anyway. Took a second to relearn the controls, but then I was off.

BTW game doesn't look too hot graphically. I really want to get ME3 on PC...but I have my character from ME1 and 2 on 360...fuuuuuu :/

I forgot that I downloaded the expansion packs (Overlord and the other vehicle one) so I thought they were just apart of the game. I have a problem with having to probe every planet in a system and completing everything so I started playing it...

Overlord was quite boring to me. But that ending...wtf...some weird and creepy shit. As I was nearing the end I just kept saying "wtf is going on". Shit was making my skin crawl.

But I finished it so back to the main game I go...maybe I should just focus on the story missions?

Just be aware that if you want all your crew to still be alive at the end of the game, that you need to leave the "Retrieve IFF" mission alone until you have done all squadmates loyalty missions. And to do the Omega 4 Relay mission as soon as possible after *that* particular event on the Normandy happen.

But yeah the Overlord ending was kinda creepy. Also, make sure to play Shadow Broker if you haven't. It's much better than Overlord.

I was late getting into this, so my Ceberus code is expired. Can I still download the Zaeed mission for free? Or do I have to pay now? I can't access my 360 now or else I would just look on there.

If you can't redeem your code, try contacting EA support. Otherwise, no, you'll need to pay ten bucks for the Cerberus Network.

Blasting through a play-through of ME2 cause I lost my old save.

First time I went through I
saved Samara and kept her in my party. For those who saved Morinth, is she any different? Who has the more interesting powers/dialogue?

Thanks!

Bisnic

As for Normandy dialogues, she got less stuff to say than Samara. And in missions, she says the exact same thing as her too(although i can understand that since only Shepard knows she's not Samara).

But there is one reply she says in the Tuchanka hub if you have Grunt with you...what she says is too arrogant to be the same thing as what Samara would say, even Grunt felt insulted and called her a slut. Maybe other hubs also have unique Morinth dialogues...

Guys, I really need to play Mass Effect 2 DLC to get my guy to level 30 and for the fact that I've heard good things about the Lair of the Shadow Broker.

I'm overseas right now and I only have Disc 1 of e game with my. I do have my saves on the console. Is that good enough to download and play the DLC or do I need Disc 2 of the game as well?

The problem here is I can only get PAL versions of the game and my console and LIVE account are North American. I'm guessing the DLC's are region locked.

Thanks.

Top Bottom