• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (2) PC gets real controller support; Fundraiser for ME/3 up [£575]

Well, I mean, if you want to play with a control scheme that makes it harder to aim, then sure.

"harder" is subjective if on a personal level I find aiming with a controller easier. Also the outcry for controller support for ME on PC has been HUGE.

But nice thread shitting. Judging by your post history it's clear you sit firmly in the M/KB elitist camp. I suggest you return

MDSLKTR

Just a day after I finished it.... Cool. (I didn't mind the k&m controls at all, battles were fast enough it's just that the game doesn't require crazy railgun skills)

Gyossaits

Banned
"harder" is subjective if on a personal level I find aiming with a controller easier. Also the outcry for controller support for ME on PC has been HUGE.

But nice thread shitting. Judging by your post history it's clear you sit firmly in the M/KB elitist camp. I suggest you return

The truth hurts, don't it?

What "truth".

No one is saying KB/M isn't a good input option or that it's better for more fine aiming. I'm more comfortable with a controller. I sit on a couch to do the majority of my gaming on a HTPC/Gaming PC I prefer to use a controller because it's less cumbersome.

The point I'm making is that you come into a thread with no other reason than shitting it up with useless elitist drivel. Your post history stinks of elitism. You have 50 posts 10 or so talking about how great mouse and keyboard is, 10 more shitting on people and promoting how great steam sales are. You clearly have an agenda and wield it in the majority of threads.

If you want examples of how much the Mass Effect community just do a quick google search. The fanbase has been crying it for it.

Your post serves no purpose other than to derail a thread.

I remember going through hell trying to get my gamepad to work for ME3 for PC.

I still don't fucking understand why Bioware wouldn't give you the option to use the gamepad for its PC ports when it's already fucking there (for consoles).

These guys thought that the best way to prevent AI from killing you was to get AI to kill you every couple thousand years.

So of course you're not gonna get gamepad support, when they've made gamepad support.

Mivey

These guys thought that the best way to prevent AI from killing you was to get AI to kill you every couple thousand years.
Actually, thats not as stupid as it sounds. It's a bit like deer hunting. Sure, you kill lots of deer, but in the end what you are doing is population controll: Since wolves and other natural predators have been made extinct (surely unrelated to all our hunting), deer population would get out of control and in the end even threaten their own distinction.
It's about moderation and how medicine can turn into poison with the wrong dosage. And Red, Blue and Green. Always comes down to RGB.

I'm sure BioWare thought about all that and more.
/s

bede-x

Well, I mean, if you want to play with a control scheme that makes it harder to aim, then sure.

I would have bought the PC versions long ago if they supported controllers. It's not about which is superior, but about what works from the couch in the living room, where I use my PC 90% of the time.

He should really try another campaign. This is the first thing ever that I have considered donating to. He should have advertised on GAF

Are they still using Bioware points for ME2 and 3? I would have figured, hoped, that EA/Bioware would have had the sense to switch the DLC over to Origin. What a mess.

Still using Bioware points, and there still hasn't been a sale on Bioware points since ME3 was released, so while you see the full game go on sale regularly for $5, the DLC still costs $50 in total. At this point I'd much rather buy a remastered collection than drop $50 on two year old DLC.

I hope this guy tries another campaign; I've always wanted controller support in the PC versions but this is the first I've heard of this guy's mod. I'd definitely donate.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Really hope he gets to resume work on ME1 (and 3) so that I'll finally play the games... bought ME1 on 360 but performance is too much ass I can't enjoy a game like that, bummer, more power to the millions people who could but it ain't for me

Edit: wait I wanted to pitch in £5 but that campaign's closed... He should try a Kickstarter for £500 I'm sure he'll succeed

Guri

I actually prefer KB/M for Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3, but it's great to see the support fans give to these games on PC. The texture mods are simply amazing and definitely some of the best I've ever seen. I do hope he gets to work on controller support for the other two.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Well it's not like I can play comfortably with kbm when on my couch considering I play with my htpc hooked up to a 120" projector's screen

Never played the series for this reason.

Same. Well, that and the utterly horrible framerate/performance on consoles

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Wow! Thanks for letting us know! I've been wanting to play this again on PC, but I wanted controller support. Will bookmark for later.

Dizzy-4U

I've been playing around with it for an hour.

This mod is the real deal. It totally feels like an official patch. Camera movement is very smooth, everything has controller prompts, it even has controller options:

O20FR4p.jpg

The only issue I have is that there is no dead zone option and it looks like it's set to 0. My controller is a little beaten up so my character walks slowly when I leave the analog stick alone.

Other than that, It totally feels like the console version, but of course at higher framerate and stuff. I hope he reopens his donation page, he's done a fantastic job.

Well I'm guessing by the time this is truly finished EA will have released the HD collection for ME first series with full controller support for pc.

But great effort none the less!

daninthemix

Why you gotta be like that, man? Some people like to use keyboard+mouse, others like to use their controller. If the option is provided, why not?

Because him and people like him (the Internet is full of them) don't want you playing how you want to play. They want you playing how they want to play.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Because him and people like him (the Internet is full of them) don't want you playing how you want to play. They want you playing how they want to play.

For real, the best part about playing on PC is the wealth of options you have. I think I have 9 or 10 controllers of various types. All of them available to use on one platform. It's amazing.

I was really excited to play ME3 co-op with a buddy of mine until I found out it didn't have controller support. I tried Pinnacle and it was finicky, so I ended up playing it once and never returning. Real support could bring me back in. ME3 provided some of the most fun multiplayer sessions I experienced on the 360.

daninthemix

For real, the best part about playing on PC is the wealth of options you have. I think I have 9 or 10 controllers of various types. All of them available to use on one platform. It's amazing.

I was really excited to play ME3 co-op with a buddy of mine until I found out it didn't have controller support. I tried Pinnacle and it was finicky, so I ended up playing it once and never returning. Real support could bring me back in. ME3 provided some of the most fun multiplayer sessions I experienced on the 360.

I avoided the trilogy on PC because of lack of controller support. These are literally lost sales because Bioware's UI team was apparently "stretched thin".

I can't wait for ME3 since the only version I have is the PS3 version and the framerate on it shits itself real bad on occasion.

Too bad the dlc on PC is a total fucking mess.

Mohonky

Some of us have our PC's hooked up to home theatres and dont like being hunched over a mouse and keyboard.

EA are really shit with this. Mass Effect and Battlefield games had poor to non existent controller support, as a result, never bothered with them. I can't even work out why, I've never played any other games (with exception to obvious stuff like RTS or building games with lots of menus and toggles etc) that had no controller support, most games support them natively with button command prompts for 360 pads.

Red Hood

Banned
Very cool, not a fan of using a controller for Mass Effect since I never liked pausing the action but it was crazy that they never added it in.

When I first read the title I assumed it was Bioware officially patching it in, which made me think that the ME trilogy really is coming.

Same here.

I feel sad. :(

knerl

Well put! So sick of the "m/k is more accurate" bullshit. While it is of course more accurate and sometimes a preferable setup it doesn't mean that it's inaccurate using a good gamepad. Personally I dare say that I'm very good at aiming with analogue sticks and I always turn off auto-aim if I get the option to do so. That's also not the point. The point in wanting gamepad support is that the complete control experience is often superior to using m/k. On a gamepad everything is much more compact and your don't have to move your hands to for example open an inventory that's often mapped to "i" on the keyboard. To keep it short. A gamepad allows for a much more comfortable experience (not to mention analogue movement!). I like to play most games with a gamepad on my couch since I spend a lot of my time in front of a monitor already as it is.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well put! So sick of the "m/k is more accurate" bullshit. While it is of course more accurate and sometimes a preferable setup it doesn't mean that it's inaccurate using a good gamepad.
Sure, but if you agree m/kb is 'more accurate', then it is also entirely accurate to say that using a gamepad makes it 'harder to aim'.

eot

Banned
Sure, but if you agree m/kb is 'more accurate', then it is also entirely accurate to say that using a gamepad makes it 'harder to aim'.

A mouse is more accurate, that doesn't mean every person is more accurate with a mouse.

The challenge in using a mouse for aiming lies with the user controlling themselves. The challenge in using a controller comes with overcoming and fighting against the hardware's deficits.

It hinders and does not enable.

Controllers do analogue movement very well though.

nowarning

Awesome! I started out playing ME1 on PC then for whatever reason I ended up going through all the games on X360. I picked up the trilogy again on PC last year but the lack of controller support put me off really.

I can blast your head off from miles out on CS:GO with M/KB but there's some games I'd prefer to play with a controller. One of the best things about gaming on PC has always been choice, controller support did seem like a weird omission for all 3 of the ME games.

knerl

Could be. Depends on how the aiming is implemented on the gamepad. Not to mention how good you as the using it are at aiming with one.
Depends on how fast you need to aim. That's not the point though. I'm shooting down the "you don't need gamepad support cause m/k is better" and "you don't need gamepad support cause you have m/k" statements.

knerl

The challenge in using a mouse for aiming lies with the user controlling themselves. The challenge in using a controller comes with overcoming and fighting against the hardware's deficits.

It hinders and does not enable.

Controllers do analogue movement very well though.

Not true. Of course it does enable some people. Even mice have hardware deficits you know.

KKRT00

Not true. Of course it does enable some people. Even mice have hardware deficits you know.

Actually, its true.

Its very visible on every conference or media playthrough ever where people, who use controllers daily, cant even properly aim at anything on screen. Its so hard to watch, that it really boggles my mind why can anyone defend that pad is great or even good input device for aiming.

Actually, its true.

Its very visible on every conference or media playthrough ever where people, who use controllers daily, cant even properly aim at anything on screen. Its so hard to watch, that it really boggles my mind why can anyone defend that pad is great or even good input device for aiming.

All those high level for pros on console must be wiffing shots all over then?

Oh wait that doesn't happen

I use a controller for the majority of my games and I can aim really well. I've played pc fps games with controller and ranked highly.

Guess it's not true

Mivey

Why does a mod for a BioWare action RPG series lead to a dogmatic discussion about the sins of using gamepads? Is there something I'm missing here?

KKRT00

All those high level for pros on console must be wiffing shots all over then?

Oh wait that doesn't happen

I use a controller for the majority of my games and I can aim really well. I've played pc fps games with controller and ranked highly.

Guess it's not true

And how does this change what Dictator said? No one is saying that You get good with pad, hell You can get good with any device, like a guy that finished Dark Souls with a guitar, but it doesnt change the fact that controller is not suited as aiming device in games.

daninthemix

Why does a mod for a BioWare action RPG series lead to a dogmatic discussion about the sins of using gamepads? Is there something I'm missing here?

Happens in every Internet thread where someone is either asking whether a PC game has controller support, or asking if there is a mod available. Suddenly, mysterious anti-controller armies march forth and make damn sure we all know how very, terribly wrong we are.

And how does this change what Dictator said? No one is saying that You get good with pad, hell You can get good with any device, like a guy that finished Dark Souls with a guitar, but it doesnt change the fact that controller is not suited as aiming device in games.

i-get-the-concept.gif

Jesus, sometimes it's nice to just play a fairly undemanding shooter/RPG hybrid without having to spend 50 hours hunched over your keyboard, developing RSI in your middle finger from holding down the W key the whole time. I don't need to be setting e-sport world records every time I start up a game.

This is great! Now how can we get this guy to re-open his Indigogo so we can fund him a new laptop?

I bought the ME trilogy on PC about a year ago for like $12, but didn't realize it didn't have native controller support. I play my PC games from the couch so gamepad support is a must. I'd play through the trilogy again in a heartbeat if all three games supported my controller.

Top Bottom