• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Comic-Con Announcement: Canon Female Shepard Appearance Vote

Maffis

Totobeni said:
Same face just with different eyeliner size and hairstyles, smh.. fucking lazy job from Bioware's designers.

Also #3 has just bigger face and #4 has bigger nose.

Maybe that was their intention? They like the face, just want opinions on the hairstyles and such.

Kinyou

I have the feeling that in the game you'll be able to choose or recreate the other versions anyway. So the vote is just about which Shepard is on the cover & trailer, which is something I couldn't care less about.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Sir Fragula said:
MEFem.png

Yeah, my photoshopping sucks.

I'll take it!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
None of them please. They look like doll heads.

Just include some new haircuts that don't look like shit and I'll keep my custom Shep.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
brotkasten said:
Not if you want to sex up the game, to reach a broader audience.

I'm surprised they haven't given her low-cut armor that shows off a little cleave. They're headed in the right direction but they need to start showing some skin if they want to sell it like that.

.GqueB.

Banned
Totobeni said:
xVBOa.gif

Same face just with different eyeliner size and hairstyles, smh.. fucking lazy job from Bioware's designers.
Not exactly lazy. They have the same face but they all look completely different given how the hairstyles, eyes and skin color change.

For example, 6 kinda looks like a bitch while 1 looks like she has a heart of gold but also a bit of a bad side. 5 looks like she was brought up in a very privileged family but spent her life trying to separate herself from that (hence being in the armed forces) but she still maintains her rather delicate look. And 4 just looks like rihanna.

Edit: And I have the best fem shep. Powerful black women with shocking red hair.

I'm a bit thrown off by the fact that this Femshep that they're going with looks so young.

Male Shep looks like he's in his early 30s, somewhat weathered and clearly battle-hardened. The person that they modelled off looks like she's 16.

Hilarious how Bioware thinks mascara = serious.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Totobeni said:
We already know that default Shepards have always been based on a single RL model, while the rest being computer generated with no base or adequate knowledge of the human race, in the vein of Bethesda's abortions.

The model for FemShep have already been picked, approved, and modeled, obviously. We're only only voting for what seems to be the default styling of the character. I can almost guarantee that with little work you'll be able to recreate the exact same six Fems in the OP. It's not as much "lazy" as a teeny bit misleading to inflate our importance.

Snuggler said:
I'm surprised they haven't given her low-cut armor that shows off a little cleave. They're headed in the right direction but they need to start showing some skin if they want to sell it like that.
Just wait for the casual clothes.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
toasty_T said:
I'm a bit thrown off by the fact that this Femshep that they're going with looks so young.

Male Shep looks like he's in his early 30s, somewhat weathered and clearly battle-hardened. The person that they modelled off looks like she's 16.

Yeah, I had the same thought. I tend to think of Shepard as someone in her thirties, she's an experienced military veteran after all. My custom Shepard looks nice, but she also fits the part with a mature and professional look. The models in the OP look like 18 year old strippers.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Gattsu25 said:
Just like you can exactly recreate the default male shep, right?
I'm not sure whether you're being sarcastic or not, as I never dabbled with the editor, but did they lock people out of default shep's facial structure/features if they decide to customize? I was always under the impression that pulling a few tweaks was possible.

If I'm wrong then I'm gonna take this vote more seriously. Anyone who votes for #4 will be added to my ignore list.

Ponti

Jinfash said:
I'm not sure whether you're being sarcastic or not, as I never dabbled with the editor, but did they lock people out of default shep's facial structure/features if they decide to customize? I was always under the impression that pulling a few tweaks was possible.
Yep, it's not possible to edit the default male and it's impossible to recreate it in the editor.

Qwomo

Jinfash said:

If I'm wrong then I'm gonna take this vote more seriously. Anyone who votes for #4 will be added to my ignore list.
Every aspect of the default male Shep's appearance is hand-sculpted by artists, you cannot recreate anything approaching the fidelity of default Shep with the in-game editor. Everything from the nose, eyes, skin texture, and hair texture is locked out of the editor.

Default femshep is made in the editor, though.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Ponti said:
Yep, it's not possible to edit the default male and it's impossible to recreate it in the editor.
For a second I thought maybe they locked his features out of a contractual obligation lol.

Qwomo said:
Every aspect of the default male Shep's appearance is hand-sculpted by artists, you cannot recreate anything approaching the fidelity of default Shep with the in-game editor. Everything from the nose, eyes, skin texture, and hair texture is locked out of the editor.

Mark-Vanderloo-commander-shepard-mass-effect.jpg

Impeccable.

Qwomo said:
Default femshep is made in the editor, though.
So this will be the first time they pick a model? or better yet: Is FemShep3 based on a real model this time around?!

Either way, I'm slightly offended, for my sisters.

Jinfash said:
So this will be the first time they pick a model? or better yet: Is FemShep3 based on a real model this time around?!

Either way, I'm slightly offended, for my sisters.

I don't think she's modelled on a human, at least it doesn't look this way.
I guess they just upgraded their FaceGen and what people are voting here is only which face will be set as default on the editor and will be used in trailers and ads.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I hate that about custom character games. The default is by far the best looking. Everyone else is kinda like...poorly textured.

Y2Kev said:
I hate that about custom character games. The default is by far the best looking. Everyone else is kinda like...poorly textured.
In ME1 you had to use Ashley's face texture on your fem shep to get a better result.
Snuggler said:
The custom faces in ME look like they were crudely molded with playdough.
Not my fem shep! :mad:

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Y2Kev said:

The custom faces in ME look like they were crudely molded with playdough.

Mr_Zombie

Sickboy007 said:
I guess they just upgraded their FaceGen and what people are voting here is only which face will be set as default on the editor and will be used in trailers and ads.

Better hairstyles that doesn't look like plastic wig is already a huge improvement.
Now they only need to add a texture skin that looks like real human skin (with slight imperfections) and not like a perfect plastic material :/

Of course, the best thing would be if BioWare would borrow EVE CC; that's the best in-game CC I have ever seen and one where you can really do a nice and realistic looking characters.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The votes so far, fwiw:

#5: 12,574 people like this.

#3: 6,608 people like this.

#4: 4,840 people like this.

#1: 4,241 people like this.

#2: 2,665 people like this.

#6: 1,451 people like this.

People voting for their waifus, confirmed.

amdnv said:
Why can't they just use this Femshep? The face has character, the red hair suits perfectly, and she doesn't look like a Brazilian (or Swedish) model in a Sci-Fi costume.
She looks believable, which has always been (along with the excellent voice acting) the reason for my finding her so appealing in this epic storyline, unlike the walking talking stereotype on the right.
This!

I was never very good at creating a Custo-FemShep so stuck with the default. Am I reading this right--that one of these abominations will be the new default?

It's like EA is leading an all-out assault on fans of this franchise.

"Hmmmm. Only 18% of players chose FemShep--obviously we're doing $omething wrong. What do 14 year old CoD players crave? Material to masturbate to that's what--and it's pretty difficult to shoe-horn that into CoD games, so we've got a great opportunity here. Strip (ha ha ha!!!!) FemShep of her age/credibility and make her some Natalie Portman/Winona Ryder hybrid!!! Sales figures through the roof boys!!!"

It wouldn't surprise me at this point if they change FemShep's voice to be Fran's from FFXII. Or maybe just pitch-shift Tali's--whatever will result in the most male hard-ons.

tiff

Banned
toasty_T said:
Male Shep looks like he's in his early 30s, somewhat weathered and clearly battle-hardened.
Really? I got more of a 20-something vibe. How old is the model he's based on?

LQX

I don't know why expected them to use the default female Shepard for the game. I don't like how any of those look.

Kinyou

brotkasten said:
Not if you want to sex up the game, to reach a broader audience.
ohh, come on! Fans have been demanding this since ME1 and when they finally give the fans what they want they are selling out?

Wallach

Kinyou said:
ohh, come on! Fans have been demanding this since ME1 and when they finally give the fans what they want they are selling out?

Exactly. It's been a long-standing complaint since the first game. One of the most commonly modded things about the PC version is female Shepard's looks.

Kinyou said:
Not all fans...I guess I got used to her--and then became somewhat attached after a billion hours of gameplay.

Odd that.

Top Bottom