• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

My group and I are kicking ourselves for not playing all last year. At the beginning of this month we said, "Hey, I heard they made a lot of changes to the multiplayer since launch, we should check it out, at least once." Now we're playing every night for at least 3 hours and I plan on overdosing on it this weekend. Missed all the weekend challenges and the community rewards though. I'm currently using an N7 Eagle pistol and it pains me knowing it used to be much easier leveling it up

Tell me about it. I played my first succesful match against them on Gold last week. It didn't really help, that I joined on the 2nd wave, and was placed in the middle of Scions and Praetorians. As a result I died a couple of times before I even managed to do anything, and had to waste a two Medi-Gels for that.

That's perhaps the most annoying thing about the game; being put right into the match, and taking damage before you can even move your character. Would it have been so hard to include an option to not join matches, that have already started? After all, I'd like to check what experience the team has, before I want to waste consumables in a Gold match that's destined to fail. Especially now, when there seems to be a lot of single-digit N7 level rookies playing on Gold with common weapons.

And I can't really understand how the game can give you a differently set match, when you have chose a certain level/map/faction.

my greatest hate in ME multiplayer. I cant stand it. either u join a game with zero consumables and don't do well OR you join a shit game with full consumables and everyone dies.

why the fuck are there level 70 players on gold with revenant 1's???? what chance in hell do you think you have?

Sai

I had a N7 120 Lv1 Human Vanguard join my Gold lobby a couple of nights ago, rockin' an Avenger & Katana at like rank V. BEAST!

... He got da boot. :B

I had a N7 120 Lv1 Human Vanguard join my Gold lobby a couple of nights ago, rockin' an Avenger & Katana below rank V. BEAST!

... He got da boot. :B

I also love when they have ZERO consumables. not even the permanent ones. I only let them play when im using my AIU because I know I can carry the team on gold.

Melchiah

It doesn't bother me that much, if there's only one rookie, as long as the rest are experienced, and the rookie isn't someone who's obviously just started playing the game. It does raise a question though, why do they join a Gold match in the first place?

I've started to search a match without any consumables set, and if I'm put into the match straight away I quit and search another, until I'm directed into the lobby.

Chocobro

I've started to search a match without any consumables set, and if I'm put into the match straight away I quit and search another, until I'm directed into the lobby.
Yep that's what I've been doing. Interesting how I still top the scoreboard by a decent to large margin even though I joined mid game with no consumables (whenever I play TGI or AIU)...why can't I join a good lobby.. :(

Collectors ain't too bad on gold, to me. I'm still pretty laid back even with no consumables. Just don't like multiple (possessed) scions shooting at me.

Btw, Sai,what weapon mods do you put on the Saber with TGI?

Sai

Thermal Scope and Piercing mods.

Whenever I use AP/Drill ammo, I swap the Piercing mod for the Extended Barrel.

Those guys are good to watch - they basically run into the centre of a group and go nuts with bio explosions. Takes some big balls.

I did a few AIU runs on platinum the other night and i think i can hold my own now, ended up topping the leaderboards both times. I can only use her, the jugg or the geth solider on platinum...anything else is pretty difficult.

That's why I love playing the Fury. I get a kick out of getting up close with everything and blowing it to Hades.

Sai

Yeah, increases the weapon's weight by 50%... What do you mean by "movement speed of the gun"?

[EDIT] - Oh, are you talking about the aiming speed? I think that might be the case. Same with the Sniper's Thermal Scope. I never comb the map while aiming down my sights anyways, so it never bothered me.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
are characters exempt from this? I loaded up the n7hq website because I was suspicious, lo and behold, I got a Female Human Infiltrator even though she's maxed out at 4 already

Common classes(the humans from the original game without any DLC) will keep showing up. At least its free xp.

Woorloog

Banned
A question:
What would be your dream class in ME3 MP?

Some rules:
-Fitness, class skill, melee, heavy melee and dodge are based on your race/class (Turian and Turian Havoc are different races for purposes of these rules, N7 humans are each unique races, and so on), so just state race/class.
-Your "main power" should be from your class (no Vanguards with Tactical Cloak).
-You can't have multiple class unique powers (only one of following: Tactical Cloak, Singularity, Charge, Tech Armor, Adrenaline Rush, Drone, ideally don't mix some other class-specifics like Marksmans either but if you really want...) but feel free to mix things otherwise. Soldier with biotics, Vanguard with tech powers...
-Some racial and power restrictions: No geth with biotics, Asari should have always at least one biotic power.
-Skip ammo powers since we're talking about MP classes. Feel free to have powers available only in SP (like Flare or Dominate)
-Consider what you think as fun, overpowered classes are easy to make.
-Feel free to have a Prothean instead of Collector, their racial passive is likely to be similar enough. I added this because i wanted a Prothean for multiplayer, too we got only this awesome Collector.

And i won't say mine right away since i have too many ideas.

exYle

A question:

Some rules:
-Fitness, class skill, melee, heavy melee and dodge are based on your race/class (Turian and Turian Havoc are different races for purposes of these rules, N7 humans are each unique races, and so on), so just state race/class.
-What weapon types does your class use? Remember, only two weapon types.
-Three powers.
-Your "main power" should be from your class (no Vanguards with Tactical Cloak).
-You can't have multiple class unique powers (only one of following: Tactical Cloak, Singularity, Charge, Tech Armor, Adrenaline Rush, Drone, ideally don't mix some other class-specifics like Marksmans either but if you really want...) but feel free to mix things otherwise. Soldier with biotics, Vanguard with tech powers...
-Some racial and power restrictions: No geth with biotics, Asari should have always at least one biotic power.
-Skip ammo powers since we're talking about MP classes. Feel free to have powers available only in SP (like Flare or Dominate)
-Feel free to have a Prothean instead of Collector, their racial passive is likely to be similar enough. I added this because i wanted a Prothean for multiplayer, too we got only this awesome Collector.

I've always wanted an Adept with Reave and Throw.

So, a Turian Cabal with Annihilation Field, Reave, and Throw would be my dream killer.

Chocobro

The former: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=48765159#post48765159

Some guys with too much time to waste on BSN cruched some numbers, and the only weapons that truly benefit from the AR High-Velocity Barrel is garbage like the Avenger, Phaeston, and Geth Pulse Rifle.

Ah, I see; wish the AR High-Velocity Barrel was like the SG HVB. Thanks for the info, Sai :)

For the record, I tried out the Saber with Extended Barrel and AP so the Thermal Scope should increase my efficiency in long-range engagements. Do you still use TS on small maps like Glacier (for when you don't play U/U/G)?

Woorloog

Banned
I've always wanted an Adept with Reave and Throw.

So, a Turian Cabal with Annihilation Field, Reave, and Throw would be my dream killer.

Tell me, why does that sound very powerful? Turians have stability and weapon bonuses, Reave gives nice DR and A-Field and Throw cause a lot of Biosplosions.

I was thinking that i want a salarian biotic.
Maybe Infiltrator: Tactical Cloak, some biotic power fitting for the class (something simple) and something else (Prox. Mine?).

EDIT removed a couple of rules for they were unnecessary, obvious. Forgot how weapons work in MP, free to choose two...

Xanathus

Not gonna go into detail, but I'd want an N7 Fury with Turian passives. Best of both worlds, I can bio-explode dudes if there's low lag or I'm hosting, or if it's laggy then I can just shoot them. And if I could get Annihilation Field together with Tactical Cloak and Warp/Throw...

Bisnic

What's the best way to play an Asari Valkyrie? I'll have to do 200 waves with her for the Commando Mastery, and i wanna do it right.

exYle

Tell me, why does that sound very powerful? Turians have stability and weapon bonuses, Reave gives nice DR and A-Field and Throw cause a lot of Biosplosions.

The Cabal Vanguard is, unfortunately, a wasted potential to have one Turian power-based class (as she is, she is best used as a weapons class with powers that augment her play-style). However, it cannot be ignored that she has ridiculously high mobility and higher health and shield bonuses than most Adepts - alongside her weapon bonuses.

Reave is cool for DR, but the reason I like it so much is because it is the only Source power that hits enemies instantly AND can hit multiple enemies at once. Combined with Throw (the most reliable Detonator power), that makes multiple distant BEs. Annihilation Field + Throw has obvious implications.

Finally, with her Stability bonus, this allows you to toss on a Hurricane and free up a weapon slot (instead of using the stability module), which is an awesomely powerful lightweight weapon.

A question:

Some rules:

Drell Sentinel with Tech Armor/Reave/Arc Grenades. Drell Mobility, stack mad damage reduction, nuke spawns, be awesome.

Chocobro

What's the best way to play an Asari Valkyrie? I'll have to do 200 waves with her for the Commando Mastery, and i wanna do it right.

I play her like a slower-paced N7 Fury. Acolyte for staggers and shield-stripping and switch to something like a Wraith or Hurricane for boss units.

In my opinion, xCal's video is a good reference: Link

Does the thermal scope add 50% weight? is that also the one that makes the movement speed of the gun REALLY slow on assault rifles?
Yeah that's the scope. I just tried it and the extremely slow aim speed bothers me a lot. I would have to bump the sensitivity to high if I want to use the TS, I think.

Which class/character is best suited for using sniper rifles?

i use odd builds.

Im currently rolling a geth engineer with a Collector Sniper Rifle X - its amazing. Chain overload to stagger, burst fire sniper rifle to melt.

Also, ive tried a geth juggernaut with the same weapon. The collector sniper rifle is one where you can go in close range and fire it without the scope and still take people out.

Otherwise generally use infiltrators like the salarian for sniper rifles. you want someone who can stun people before taking that head shot.

The other way is to use the Asari Adept and use an executioner pistol X with a scope mod and 30% power damage mod or 40% headshot bonus. Stasis > Headshot > Splat.

The executioner pistol is really underrated. I never see anyone besides myself take it.

The other good pistol for he asari is to use the Suppressor Pistol X or whatever its called - the one with the apparent 400% headshot bonus. Again, use stasis to line up the headshot. Great on phantoms particularly.

A question:

Some rules:

to me if i can have some characteristics across my characters id have:

Light Melee: Paladin
heavy Melee: Batarian
Dodge: AIU
Power 1: Overload
Power 2: Shield Boost
Power 3: Snap Freeze (or Flamer)
Weapon Proficiency: assault rifle.

For me, overload is the best power in the game. Snap freeze is an amazing AOE or debuff, failing that the flamer for crowd control. Shield boost because it means you can solo things.

Yeah, increases the weapon's weight by 50%... What do you mean by "movement speed of the gun"?

[EDIT] - Oh, are you talking about the aiming speed? I think that might be the case. Same with the Sniper's Thermal Scope. I never comb the map while aiming down my sights anyways, so it never bothered me.

Yes this. i cant use this mod for this reason alone. i dont comb the map either but moving from target to target takes a lot of time.

The home run swing of the Krogan Warlord is so fucking boss. Fuck yo couch, Dragoon

Finally got Combat Mastery

Edit: flamer with overload would just be cheating haha. Honestly, just give me a Geth infiltrator with overload/cloak/hunter mode and I'd be happy. Its my favorite power in the game (Garrus 4 lyfe)

Stantron

Volus with Bloodlust, Tech Armor (or Blade Armor) and Shadowstrike
Light melee to cloak, then Shadow Strike with massive melee buffs, then detonate Tech Armor to finish off if necessary. =)

OP but would be fun...
Drell Vanguard with Annihilation Field instead of Pull.
N7 Slayer with Shield Boost instead of Biotic Slash.
Ex-Cerberus Adept with Biotic Sphere instead of Lash.
N7 Destroyer with Destroyer Mode, Adrenaline Rush and Marksman.

exYle

Volus with Bloodlust, Tech Armor (or Blade Armor) and Shadowstrike
Light melee to cloak, then Shadow Strike with massive melee buffs, then detonate Tech Armor to finish off if necessary. =)

OP but would be fun...
Drell Vanguard with Annihilation Field instead of Pull.
N7 Slayer with Shield Boost instead of Biotic Slash.
Ex-Cerberus Adept with Biotic Sphere instead of Lash.
N7 Destroyer with Destroyer Mode, Adrenaline Rush and Marksman.

HNNNNGH

TheShah

Novaguard with annihilation field instead of shockwave or a drell vanguard with reave instead of pull are the classes I've always wanted.

Bisnic

I played a little with the Geth Trooper yesterday with Flamer built with maximum damage, extra armor damage, an Engineer Kit V for +15% Tech Damage and a SMG Power Magnifier IV for +20% Power Damage.

Never saw a Silver Banshee going down so fast. :D I wonder how fast it is on Gold.

Is the extra 5m range better than the extra damage usually? I figured damage would be better since the extra range is wasted when enemies are very close to you.

I played a little with the Geth Trooper yesterday with Flamer built with maximum damage, extra armor damage, an Engineer Kit V for +15% Tech Damage and a SMG Power Magnifier IV for +20% Power Damage.

Never saw a Silver Banshee going down so fast. :D I wonder how fast it is on Gold.

Is the extra 5m range better than the extra damage usually? I figured damage would be better since the extra range is wasted when enemies are very close to you.

I always go range. you can increase damage with consumables. you cant increase range.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Others have said things already, but if you spec for tech explosions instead of damage reduction, you can equip a incendiary boost and anything that's still standing after a biotic explosion will DEFINITELY be dead after a tech explosion.

The damage output for the Valk is amazing - but you have to ride the razor's edge perfectly to get the most out of it.

Bisnic

Others have said things already, but if you spec for tech explosions instead of damage reduction, you can equip a incendiary boost and anything that's still standing after a biotic explosion will DEFINITELY be dead after a tech explosion.

The damage output for the Valk is amazing - but you have to ride the razor's edge perfectly to get the most out of it.

I don't know if I like going into melee range that often to explode my tech armor and annihilation field and lose their defensive benefits temporarily. Asaris don't have the health and shield of Krogans or Batarians to easily survive that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh last night I had this issue and again this morning - approx Wave 5 I lose connection to EA Servers. Just me? Or does it happen to everyone else on 360?

DY_nasty

I don't know if I like going into melee range that often to explode my tech armor and annihilation field and lose their defensive benefits temporarily. Asaris don't have the health and shield of Krogans or Batarians to easily survive that.

I never once said it would be easy lol.

You have to really understand the balance between the recharge times on all your powers, have the shield regen rate increase upgrade in one form or another, and know exactly how quickly you can kill the things in your proximity. On Gold - its too easy (once you get the timing). Platinum? LOL don't even bring a Valk unless you've got at team full of biotics and never consider dropping damage reduction for anything else.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've had no problems, played three Gold games last night.

Dammit. I even went into the olden days of port forwarding and did what I could there. EA Servers just blip out, spits me to the main menu and says they're unavailable, and it doesn't seem to be happening to anyone else. Huge bummer.

Sai

Ah, I see; wish the AR High-Velocity Barrel was like the SG HVB.
I fully expected that to be the case when the new weapon mods were leaked, following the trend that the other HVB mods(except for the SMG variant) set. I don't understand why Bioware thought that just the slightly extra armor penetration would justify the additional weight.

For the record, I tried out the Saber with Extended Barrel and AP so the Thermal Scope should increase my efficiency in long-range engagements. Do you still use TS on small maps like Glacier (for when you don't play U/U/G)?
For smaller maps I usually go for the Harrier. I honestly haven't used the Saber without a scope mod since the game first came out... I should try it out later today.

Does the thermal scope add 50% weight? is that also the one that makes the movement speed of the gun REALLY slow on assault rifles?
Yeah that's the scope. I just tried it and the extremely slow aim speed bothers me a lot. I would have to bump the sensitivity to high if I want to use the TS, I think.
Yes this. i cant use this mod for this reason alone. i dont comb the map either but moving from target to target takes a lot of time.
Hmm... Not sure what advice I can give. I don't really stay scoped unless the targets are in very close proximity to eachother. Otherwise, quickly release it, and re-aim towards the next mob—wearin' that left trigger out!

Ugh last night I had this issue and again this morning - approx Wave 5 I lose connection to EA Servers. Just me? Or does it happen to everyone else on 360?
Everybody has to deal with it across all platforms occasionally. Used to happen a lot more often when the game first came out. Imagine it happening every time you're in the last two waves of a Gold match... Ugh.

What's the ability where it's basically Force Lightning? My buddy and I saw a Krogan doing this last night and we're trying to figure out if it's a weapon or character ability. When I first saw the Flamer I thought it was a weapon

DY_nasty

What's the ability where it's basically Force Lightning? My buddy and I saw a Krogan doing this last night and we're trying to figure out if it's a weapon or character ability. When I first saw the Flamer I thought it was a weapon

You might be thinking of the Reegar - its a shotgun. Probably the highest DPS in the game.

Mindlog

Thoughts on ADAS rifle, dudes?
Great rare at X on the Turian Soldier.
Novaguard with annihilation field instead of shockwave or a drell vanguard with reave instead of pull are the classes I've always wanted.
Back to back with the two classes I would want as well. I'm just imagining what that Drell Vanguard with charge Power Synergy would do to spawns.
Which class/character is best suited for using sniper rifles?
All of the weapon based classes are OK. The Salarian Infiltrator is still fantastic because Energy Drain stuns and Proximity mine debuffs.
Is it really? i guess why it has such a small clip and such short range to make up for it.
Yeah, it is. It's a pretty close race between the AIU and the Asari Sentinel as to who kills faster with it.

Asari: Warp -> AF Debuff -> Incendiary Reegar -> dead everything.

deafmedal

Valkyrie might be my favorite character, I run 6/6/6/4/4...

AF: b,b,b
Warp: b,b,a
TA: b,a,b
AV: b
Fit: b

I run with a Talon, piercing and heavy barrel mods, Geth Scanner, Pistol Amp, Cyclonic III/IV (gold/plat), and Warp rounds III/IV (gold/plat). Not really a fan of cheesing warp with incendiary rounds, YMMV. The only reason I take speed over damage taken on evolution 5 of AF is so I know when AF is up, heh. Run into mob, prime with AF, detonate with warp, and shoot punks in the face. On gold Phantoms drop with one explosion and gunshot (remember warp's damage extends past explosion) to the face. Laugh at lolgoons, and solo banshees in about 10-15 sec... Circle strafe bigger units constantly throwing warp and shooting, just try and stay out of melee/sync range.

FWIW I never detonate TA cept on accident. Average about 140 K a game, and she is one of the handful of characters I have scored over 200 K with, as well as one of the few I can solo gold with. Seldom go down unless laggy as shit. Fucking love her :)

Top Bottom