• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 "Review in Progress" by IGN: (Two New Videos)

Dany

Banned
Err, how much do these review in progress give away in content/story...?

I've seen that IGN have been doing these but idk if I wanna read them since its waaaaay before the game comes out, it seems weird...

icecream

Public Health Threat
Oh come on, aside from a small handful of planets, the ME1 system was dreadfully boring and mundane.
Only because they overused it ineffectively. After the 52nd copy-and-paste terrain, sure it might have become slightly tedious. But each time you landed on a planet and it was a new environment, whether it was a craggy climb, endless fields of green, or a night across the dunes, it always succeeded in showing to the player what it really meant to live in a sci-fi world and participate in a sense of exploration that they'd never be able to do in reality for their entire lifetimes.

Not vouching for them to bring back the ME1 system of exploration and resource gathering piece by piece, but imagine if Bioware had actually been ambitious and tried to improve upon the idea, instead of being lazy and relegating all duties to a basic map HUD and scanner as in both subsequent games.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Does scanning look painless or is it just me?

That can't truly be the case. I feel spoiled, there must be more to it.

DTKT

Really? You could tell just from that 1 minute segment?

C'mon...

They have never made good levels. Let's be honest here, most of ME2 combat was centered around small rooms with 1 or 2 points of entry. The demo showed that they didn't try to change much there.

CrazyDude

They have never made good levels. Let's be honest here, most of ME2 combat was centered around small rooms with 1 or 2 points of entry. The demo showed that they didn't try to change much there.

You can't tell me ME1 was any different.

Dany

Banned

I disagree, I think the second mission showed pretty well how they are trying to vary up combat and it seemed to have worked wel

Mifune

Mehmber
Well I'm back onboard after watching that first video (not that I was ever really off). The atmosphere is much more Mass Effect here than in the demo...mysterious and moody. Appreciated the team member chatter as well.

And yeah, the music is good.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
So, in a rather different note, you guys liking what IGN is doing with their reviews now? I'm guessing "review in progress" will be done for most of the big games of the year, no?

As long as they don't spoil the game's main story, I'll continue to watch the trailers. I don't particularly find that X character will be appearing spoilerish. What I am curious about is what happened to Miranda? Hudson confirmed she's going to be in the game, but my guess is she'll be killed off by the Illusive Man or something similar? That in turn will make Shepard hate them,etc.

If so, shit! Chose the wrong chick to bang! ;) Ashley looks hotter now but she's a racist (speciecist?) SOB.

Chrysalis

The truly moronic thing about the Review-in-Progress page is that the reviewer explicitly states that there won't be spoilers about the opening story bits. He (she?) then proceeds to start talking about the story. :\

zlatko

Banned
Not sure why everyone is getting a chubby for the music in that mars video. Sounds like pretty standard hum ho Mass Effect music. By no means is it some of the good things compared to what ME1 and offered.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I'm super curious to see what happens if a reaper catches you.

I'm guessing you die? Or you mean in the story's waning moments?

I kinda suspect Shepard will die or be subjugated by the Reapers or something. That will, in turn, guarantee that this will be Shepard's last journey but still be within the franchise itself.

Truth be told, I want Shepard to be the series' protagonist still. I dread who the next "hero" for the ME games will be...James Vega? That British bloke on the trailer?

xion4360

The truly moronic thing about the Review-in-Progress page is that the reviewer explicitly states that there won't be spoilers about the opening story bits. He (she?) then proceeds to start talking about the story. :\

"Oh, and you needn't worry about story-specific spoilers apart from how the game starts, because there won't be any. "

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com

Wahaha! Maybe he means there won't be any big spoilers? I dunno, the thing is with this kind of review, you can pretty much guess what their score will be. I mean, the only real thing missing is the number - which is all that matters to some people for some reason.

Take this review in progress, the reviewer discloses that he indeed does get a chubby one for Mass Effect and judging from what we've played on the demo, it seems like BioWare has brought its A game. My guess? At the very least a 9.2 and at most maybe 9.8 from IGN. Yeah, that .2-.9 thing is big stuff for some people. =)

I love how the Reapers in the galaxy map are basically like the spiders in SimAnt. I cannot decide which antagonist sounds creepier.

Vire

You and me both.

Still, I'm so proud of myself for the info blackout that I have been able to keep up with.

I learned far too late that BW likes to show off the entire game.

Just a heads up, it's only the second area of the game. But yeah, if you are on blackout mode - steer clear.

DTKT

So, I don't get it. How is the new system better than planet scanning. It's the same basic mechanic, but on top of it, you have a time limit.

zugzug

So does this mean the 2 IGN guys captured 2 copies from the San Francisco balloon? or sent copies to review?

I didn't really see in the balloon thread the results.

GSR

Not sure how many of these I'll watch, but it's nice to see a video showing off exploration a bit. I do wonder though if there's any landing on non-main planets - that is, did they keep any system akin to the N7 missions?

AppleMIX

So, I don't get it. How is the new system better than planet scanning. It's the same basic mechanic, but on top of it, you have a time limit.

Because you don't need to scan for minerals. Which was the big problem with planet scanning.

Thoraxes

Wahaha! Maybe he means there won't be any big spoilers? I dunno, the thing is with this kind of review, you can pretty much guess what their score will be. I mean, the only real thing missing is the number - which is all that matters to some people for some reason.

Take this review in progress, the reviewer discloses that he indeed does get a chubby one for Mass Effect and judging from what we've played on the demo, it seems like BioWare has brought its A game. My guess? At the very least a 9.2 and at most maybe 9.8 from IGN. Yeah, that .2-.9 thing is big stuff for some people. =)
I think it'll be the case where everyone super-hypes it right around it's release, and then 6 months later people will start to pick it apart for what it really is. (what that will be I have no clue)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Scanning looks far less tedious and more involved than it was in ME2, but I'm still not sure on it. Seems very fetch questy and the Reaper thing could get very annoying. We'll see.

IGN said:
My deep love and admiration for the Mass Effect franchise is no secret. Exceptionally well-versed in the first two games in the series -- I wrote IGN's epic strategy guides for both -- Mass Effect 3 constitutes a sort of singular focus for me as I look forward to the games I'm anticipating most in 2012.

Seems unbiased to me.

pmj

But now, you are scanning for random pieces of equipment scattered throughout the galaxy. What is the difference??

The new way is faster than ME2's planet scanning. At least it wastes a bit less of your time.

Building up the Reaper alertness bar by scanning is rather silly and could turn out to be annoying depending on how that works.

Vire

9.8/10 review was written before he even played it, to be sure.

Considering IGN uses a .5 scale, no it wasn't. But keep your tin foil hat on.

The new way is faster than ME2's planet scanning. At least it wastes a bit less of your time.

Building up the Reaper alertness bar by scanning is rather silly and could turn out to be annoying depending on how that works.

I'm curious what the potential penalty is from getting "caught" by the Reapers.

EatChildren said:
Scanning looks far less tedious and more involved than it was in ME2, but I'm still not sure on it. Seems very fetch questy and the Reaper thing could get very annoying. We'll see.
This. I kinda wish he’d shown off what does happen when you get caught by a reaper, though.

Gun-fight? Loss of Fuel? Insta-death?

Also, man was the guy playing a bore. He picked the class that can Zero Shift and decided to snipe from as far away as possible without moving?

Dat Mars footage.

kf3g7.gif

Top Bottom