• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 SPOILER THREAD: LOTS OF SPECULATION FROM EVERYONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

delirium

Somebody stop me, I'm reinstalling my Dragon Age 2 copy to wash down the bad aftertaste. Of all games, DA2.

Dire problems, dire solutions.
After trying the first DA2 DLC I thought I could stomach DA2 again, but don't. It's still bad. Really really bad.

The Kai Leng plot was also quite stupid to be honest. It's like I'm supposed to believe how awesome he is while he struggled to beat Thane which was afflicted with space lung cancer and he wins on Thessia by cheating and attacking the support pillar. He also failed to assassinate Miranda too (if you tell her about him on the citadel). The whole Shepard losing confidence because of him was awkward and rushed. The email Kai Leng sends you make it seems like you both have some old grudges and this really not the case.

Let's just say Lump of Cole comics didn't help me admire his character either.

Due to Lump's comic he is cemented as a joke character forever in my mind.

Guesong

After trying the first DA2 DLC I thought I could stomach DA2 again, but don't. It's still bad. Really really bad.

It's not the game I deserve, but the game I need to overcome this whole ME3 debacle. To remember myself there is worse than this ending.

pa22word

Wow reading this topic is like listening to Star Wars fans walk out of Episode 1 for the first time.

Perhaps there is a super secret ending where Shepard doesn't act within the paths set for him by the reapers. Were he finds a 4th way.

Shepard's Sacrifice: Coming to the DD outlet of your choosing late april for the super duper low price of $14.99!!!

Vamphuntr

It's not the game I deserve, but the game I need to overcome this whole ME3 debacle. To remember myself there is worse than this ending.

Ending is basically the same dumb stuff though. Meredith is like the Illusive Man. She's insane because of a plot device so reasoning with her is pointless and lead to a ridiculous plot 180 if you side with her.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So theres currently a WIP Gibbed's ME Save Editor and one of the first things that shows up in the RAW data is an "End Game Status" string with three options "Not Finished," "Out in a Blaze of Glory" and "Live to Fight Again." The later two only show up in an end game save use for NG+ or future import I guess.

Im not sure what this means exactly or how they intend to use it, probably for an ME4 import, but more specifically for my game Im confused because Ive gone back and completed all three endings, first time synthesis, second time destruction in which I got the Shep alive scene, and finally the Control ending. So Im a little confused as to why my current end game save says "Live to Fight Again" for end game status when both in my first completion and most recent completion of the last mission, both ended with my Shepard most certainly not surviving to fight again. Food for thought I guess.

Vamphuntr

So theres currently a WIP Gibbed's ME Save Editor and one of the first things that shows up in the RAW data is an "End Game Status" string with three options "Not Finished," "Out in a Blaze of Glory" and "Live to Fight Again." The later two only show up in an end game save use for NG+ or future import I guess.

Im not sure what this means exactly or how they intend to use it, probably for an ME4 import, but more specifically for my game Im confused because Ive gone back and completed all three endings, first time synthesis, second time destruction in which I got the Shep alive scene, and finally the Control ending. So Im a little confused as to why my current end game save says "Live to Fight Again" for end game status when both in my first completion and most recent completion of the last mission, both ended with my Shepard most certainly not surviving to fight again. Food for thought I guess.

do you have a link? I wanna try.

DA2's ending had a very retarded means and character breaking means to a conclusion I actually liked - a war breaking out between Templars and Mages. That is a conclusion that has potential going into sequels or spinoffs but doesn't fucking destroy the Dragon Age world. In fact, I'd love a Dragon Age game that didn't have any darkspawn whatsoever as long as Mages and Templars threw themselves at one another and there were other political wars going on. And dragons could do something significant too - that would be nice.

delirium

You could replay the Witcher 2 but that game had a mediocre ending also that just left your dick just hanging there.

DA2's plot might be good (except forcing you to fight both bosses) but the gameplay of the OC is just horrible. Enemies dropping in from the air everywhere.

Leeness

You guys... I feel bad for my friend.

She's playing through it right now and she's all "I've heard the bad endings are bad, so I'm going to 100% everything to get the good ending! The strategy guide says 100% gets the best ending!"

... How to tell her the best ending is still the bad ending and nothing she does matters without spoiling it...?

She's playing through it right now and she's all "I've heard the bad endings are bad, so I'm going to 100% everything to get the good ending! The strategy guide says 100% gets the best ending!"

... How to tell her the best ending is still the bad ending and nothing she does matters without spoiling it...?

green lasers > blue or red lasers!!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Dont do anything, lie to her in fact, tell her to the 100% is worth it. Let her feel the pain we all feel. Its the right thing to do.

Im dead serious.

Guesong

I don't think the actual coding refers to the correct ending. Either that or the ending is some hallucination/metaphysic thing. I got the Synthesis ending and according to the editor I Live to Fight Again? Pretty sure I was disintegrated in magic space dust.

It's the same coding as Mass Effect 2, where the descriptions are much more accurate.

It's a WIP stuff, and considering BioWare took a stock photo and added lens flare for Tali, I really don't think their inhouse description of ending flags was considered as a necessary change.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Haha ouch.

It may be mean in some ways, but its the only way for her to fully experience ME3 for what it is. In some messed up way Im glad I knew nothing about the endings or people being disappointed with them when I beat the game.

It's the same coding as Mass Effect 2, where the descriptions are much more accurate.

It's a WIP stuff, and considering BioWare took a stock photo and added lens flare for Tali, I really don't think their inhouse description of ending flags was considered as a necessary change.

Good point.

The one thing I will say about the Synthesis ending is it does at least add some weight to the Normandy crashing. I did that as my first ending, and before I realized that scene happens in every ending, It gave me a kind of chilling Planet of the Apes vibe. Like, this is the start of the home world of the new synthetic race.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm feeling somewhat petty and I want everyone who plays this game to experience the pain that I had to feel so don't tell her anything. I want to hear about her suffering :p

Vamphuntr

Haha, had no idea it was the same flags for ME2. Yeah they are really lazy.

DA2's ending had a very retarded means and character breaking means to a conclusion I actually liked - a war breaking out between Templars and Mages. That is a conclusion that has potential going into sequels or spinoffs but doesn't fucking destroy the Dragon Age world. In fact, I'd love a Dragon Age game that didn't have any darkspawn whatsoever as long as Mages and Templars threw themselves at one another and there were other political wars going on. And dragons could do something significant too - that would be nice.

But do you trust BUTTON AWESOME BioWare to actually make a compelling Dragon Age game dealing with political machinations and the Mages/Templar war that doesn't simply result in both sides going Full Retard turning into Power Rangers monsters? Shit, I'm a pathetic Dragon Age fan that read Gaider's latest book, Asunder and while better than Dragon Age 2's plot(and would have made for a better game than DA2) it still boils down to "Mages= FREEEEDOMMMM and lets all use demons and blood magic!" and "Templars= IAMEVILANDHATEMAGES"

I personally think there is plenty of potential with the world of Dragon Age to tell interesting stories, I just don't have faith that BioWare's writers or designers can pull it off. Give it to Obsidian is what I say.

You could replay the Witcher 2 but that game had a mediocre ending also that just left your dick just hanging there.
Although worth noting in this thread with all the talk of BioWare fixing ME3's ending, The Witcher 2's Enhanced Edition is supposedly adding content to Act 3. Don't know if it'll change the actual ending or not. Then again I didn't have much of an issue with the actual endings to TW2- at least they were fairly varied.

FoeHammer

Agreed on most points made here. After three of the best games I've ever played, that was the best ending(s) they could shit out? Pathetic.

Also, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but I found something interesting in my ME3 CE Guide. I read the ending section after finishing and it plainly says that Shepherd survives the end if you a) choose to destroy the reapers and b) have a military score of over 5000. Are the Prima guys and gals privy to some inside info like this? I witnessed all the possible endings and I don't see how the hell Shepherd could have survived any of them. Did anyone else catch this?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Agreed on most points made here. After three of the best games I've ever played, that was the best ending(s) they could shit out? Pathetic.

Also, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but I found something interesting in my ME3 CE Guide. I read the ending section after finishing and it plainly says that Shepherd survives the end if you a) choose to destroy the reapers and b) have a military score of over 5000. Are the Prima guys and gals privy to some inside info like this? I witnessed all the possible endings and I don't see how the hell Shepherd could have survived any of them. Did anyone else catch this?

Theres a small clip that shows rubble and shit and does a close up on Sheps melted chest plate with N7 tags hanging out and then you hear a gasp and the chest plate rises and the screen goes black. You have to have a rating of 4000+ Effective Military strength not total military strength. So you have to play some MP to increase your Galactic readiness in order to get that high. At least according to the IGN ending guide you only need 5000 EMS if you fail to "save" Anderson from the Illusive Man.

Vamphuntr

If you choose the destruction ending and have an EMS of 5000 you see a 2-3 sec custscene showing a part of his corpse moving.

Leeness

It may be mean in some ways, but its the only way for her to fully experience ME3 for what it is. In some messed up way Im glad I knew nothing about the endings or people being disappointed with them when I beat the game.

I had told her the internet was outraged, but I said "Oh but apparently 100% is worth it".

I never said if it was "worth it" in the good way or the "worth it" in the way where... ...I don't really know how to finish that. ... Worth it because it fuels the rage you feel? Worth it because the time you put into it = more rage? I don't know.

But I told her "the internet says 100% is worth it".

Derrick01

Banned
Theres a small clip that shows rubble and shit and does a close up on Sheps melted chest plate with N7 tags hanging out and then you hear a gasp and the chest plate rises and the screen goes black. You have to have a rating of 4000+ Effective Military strength not total military strength. So you have to play some MP to increase your Galactic readiness in order to get that high. At least according to the IGN ending guide you only need 5000 EMS if you fail to "save" Anderson from the Illusive Man.

So unless I play MP which I have no intention of ever doing I won't have Shepard "surviving" on any of my files? Sounds about right for current Bioware.

O.DOGG

So all that "You do NOT have to play multiplayer to get the best single-player endings." was just more bullshit on their part? I didn't get the chestplate segment, and had total military strength at 7009, the green bar was full.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I had told her the internet was outraged, but I said "Oh but apparently 100% is worth it".

I never said if it was "worth it" in the good way or the "worth it" in the way where... ...I don't really know how to finish that. ... Worth it because it fuels the rage you feel? Worth it because the time you put into it = more rage? I don't know.

But I told her "the internet says 100% is worth it".

Good, you did the right thing. Its hurts but its the kind of hurt people need to feel for themselves. Its a right of passage.

So all that "You do NOT have to play multiplayer to get the best single-player endings." was just more bullshit on their part? I didn't get the chestplate segment, and had total military strength at 7009, the green bar was full.

Yeah if you didnt play any multiplayer your Galactic Readiness was only at 50% meaning of that 7009 TMS you only had an EMS of 3504 going into the final battle. Thats more than enough to get all three ending "choices" but if you did choose Destruction it wouldnt be enough to "save" Shepard. But again for BioWare the Synthesis ending is most likely the "best" ending so they really werent lying competely.

Haha, oh lawd.

So is the general consensus that this ending, or MGS4, is worse?

I think "because space magic" and "because nanomachines" are on equal footing, but I think that ME3 is a worse ending because it directly contradicts/ignores player agency and choice, which is the entire point of the series. At least with MGS, people were just along for the ride.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Haha, oh lawd.

So is the general consensus that this ending, or MGS4, is worse?

Depends on which you are more invested in, which for most is likely to be ME. Also MGS4 ending took forever and wasnt exactly the clearest thing on earth, where as ME3 its 5 minutes and pretty clear how destructive and insane it is. Plus MGS4 the entire game things were wacked out and just bizarre, but ME3 is pretty damn solid and just excellent 95% of the time until those last few minutes. So its a much bigger shock and sharp turn in emotions.

Leeness

And, from the beginning of the thread it would seem, stolen images from the internet. Haha.

That's sad though, that you can basically destroy an entire franchise with one swift blow.

Yikes, Bioware. Yikes.

Digoman

My war assets doing everything I could find and importing a ME2 save was around 7100, so unless I made a lot mistakes, I don't see how you could get to 4000 with the default 50% EMS rating if you don't touch multiplayer, let alone 5000. Guess if mp dies soon the only to see the amazing 2 second clip o Sheppard armor moving is with additional DLC. Does war assets increase with NG+?

As for having friends playing... I have one who is really LTTP, who is just about to start the second game... don't know what to tell him...

And, from the beginning of the thread it would seem, stolen images from the internet. Haha.

Yikes, Bioware. Yikes.

Well, not stolen, at least not in the case of Tali. Simply a case of stock images being used for what stock images are meant to be used for. It just comes across as lazy.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Well, not stolen, at least not in the case of Tali. Simply a case of stock images being used for what stock images are meant to be used for. It just comes across as lazy.

Theyre both silly complaints, if it werent for the internet and sleuthing, people wouldnt ever know nor would they ever care. Theres nothing wrong with the actual end products even if they are original and based off some 3rd parties work.

FoeHammer

Good, you did the right thing. Its hurts but its the kind of hurt people need to feel for themselves. Its a right of passage.

Yeah if you didnt play any multiplayer your Galactic Readiness was only at 50% meaning of that 7009 TMS you only had an EMS of 3504 going into the final battle. Thats more than enough to get all three ending "choices" but if you did choose Destruction it wouldnt be enough to "save" Shepard. But again for BioWare the Synthesis ending is most likely the "best" ending so they really werent lying competely.

Thanks for clearing that up.

That is absolute horseshit considering Bioware said that we wouldn't have to play anything other than the main game to get the best ending. How is the "best" ending not the one where the character I've been playing with since 2007 survives?!

What a bunch of morons. How could they fuck up so badly right at the end? Most everything else was fantastic.

zonezeus

My memories are a little blurry here, but I remember MGS having an actual ending, with future fate of main characters and entire world explained. Yeah, it was pants-on-head retarded but it was an ending, not a stock 2-minutes cliffhanger with 3 different color filters. Besides, as already some of you here stated, MGS didn't pretend to leave any meaningful choices in your hands just to utterly crush them and shit on their corpses.

Leeness

That one of the snowy moons and stuff though, that one is from someone's DevArt isn't it?

I dunno. It just sounds like the whole thing is soul crushing and unfortunate.

Theyre both silly complaints, if it werent for the internet and sleuthing, people wouldnt ever know nor would they ever care. Theres nothing wrong with the actual end products even if they are original and based off some 3rd parties work.

I dunno I'd say the Tali end product has some things wrong with it.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I dunno I'd say the Tali end product has some things wrong with it.

Yeah after people blew it up, altered the brightness and levels to see it as clear as possible. As presented in the game it was more than adequate and many peoples first reaction was that she looked great.

Yeah after people blew it up, altered the brightness and levels to see it as clear as possible. As presented in the game it was more than adequate and many peoples first reaction was that she looked great.

The fact that she has a gorgeous head of long hair is my only issue with it. Is that really practical?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The fact that she has a gorgeous head of long hair is my only issue with it. Is that really practical?

Probably not, but it is a sci-fi game with people who can use the force and travel across the galaxy in an instant. Having a environmental suit that can function with a full head of hair isnt exactly something that challenges my suspension of disbelief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom