• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 SPOILER THREAD: LOTS OF SPECULATION FROM EVERYONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

Also Shepard has been on a goddamn suicide mission; how is he getting PTSD seeing some random child die.

Then again that child turned out to be an omnipotent space wizard.
Well, it manifested itself in the form of the child. Which makes no sense at all when you could've had the dead Virmire squadmate be it (if you listen to the child talking there is another voice in the background, probably the Reaper god or whoever).

Yeah, the PTSD dreams kinda sucked because Ash/Kaidan wasn't in them or if you lost anyone in ME2 or even possibly flashbacks from your psych profile (colonist, sole survior come to mind) either. A damn kid.

So the AI of the Citadel is opposed to AI because they will wipe out organic life so it harvests organic life while destroying organic life to prevent organic life from creating AI. The very same Citadel AI needs the other AI to send a signal to itself so that it can act as a mass relay so more AI to come through and cull organic life in order to protect organic life from AI.

I understand the difference between what the Catalyst is doing and what it thinks other AIs will do. The Catalyst is only harvesting advanced organic life while it thinks that other AI will destroy all organic life, but from Shepard's perspective, is there really a difference? Never mind the fact that the Geth and EDI disprove the Catalyst's assertions.

Other than that and the mess of the endings, this was a really enjoyable game.

MrCQv.jpg

Oh lordy.

Sober

That ending? What the fuck.

Had me up until, well the boom.
Here's my minimum amount of effort ending: Shepard crawls to the console and presses the button. The damn thing fires, you can have it explode if you want, roll credits.

scarybore

My one hope for Mass Effect 3 was that there would be a satisfying conclusion that made some kind of sense. Yeah, didn't happen.

masseffect2-jokerwtfizf7vc.jpg

I was much more content with how the various character plot lines came together, must be such a weird experience not having the characters from the previous games involved. Really liked what they did with Javik even if I think he shouldn't be there in the first place, also a mistake to have him as paid dlc considering how illuminating he was with regards to his race.

Also, I hate whoever put all those pedo-shepard chasing a dead kid though a dream forest sequences into the game. Had no problem with you hearing your dead colleagues and friends but that kid is just so forced it's ridiculous, and then the little bugger pops up again as the avatar of some nutter at the end!

It's a shame that my favourite new ip of this generation ended on such a cheap, unsatisfying note but I guess I should be pleased that the journey getting to that point was pretty damn enjoyable.

so.. we can all agree that the ending is really bad? lol the concerns are being reported as "internet hate" directed towards Bioware

Also, I hate whoever put all those pedo-shepard chasing a dead kid though a dream forest sequences into the game. Had no problem with you hearing your dead colleagues and friends but that kid is just so forced it's ridiculous, and then the little bugger pops up again as the avatar of some nutter at the end!

Shep has witnessed so much death since the beginning of the series (or before depending on your background) and has actually died herself, there is no reason why this kid should be haunting his dreams. I just thought of a better idea for those sequences: have them be flashbacks of the times you spent with the comrades who have fallen while working with you. It could have been whoever you let die on Virmire; Wrex, if you let him die; any of the teammates you had on the suicide mission; and then whoever dies in this game.

The Catalyst could have been anyone else. I'm more partial to it cycling through images within your memory: it would appear as Liara with her voice and then Wrex and then Garrus and so on. Hell, add in her mother while we're at it.

The kid was just a forced addition and an attempt at drama. We establish no connection with him beside seeing him in a vent and then watching him get killed. But, like I said earlier, Shep's seen a lot of people die. Close people. People who helped her save the galaxy. Bioware just wanted to tug on everyone's heartstrings by using this kid when they didn't have to.

Shep has witnessed so much death since the beginning of the series (or before depending on your background) and has actually died herself, there is no reason why this kid should be haunting his dreams. I just thought of a better idea for those sequences: have them be flashbacks of the times you spent with the comrades who have fallen while working with you. It could have been whoever you let die on Virmire; Wrex, if you let him die; any of the teammates you had on the suicide mission; and then whoever dies in this game.

The Catalyst could have been anyone else. I'm more partial to it cycling through images within your memory: it would appear as Liara with her voice and then Wrex and then Garrus and so on. Hell, add in her mother while we're at it.

The kid was just a forced addition and an attempt at drama. We establish no connection with him beside seeing him in a vent and then watching him get killed. But, like I said earlier, Shep's seen a lot of people die. Close people. People who helped her save the galaxy. Bioware just wanted to tug on everyone's heartstrings by using this kid when they didn't have to.

Yeah, it felt incredibly forced. It's also pretty amusing, considering that kid is like, the only kid in the entire three games.

My whole hting about the Catalyst is that it uses the reapers to cull advanced organic life, but it can't activate itself as a relay.

Which reminds me, the keepers are just chilling in that shaft with those dead bodies. At least I'm pretty sure they were alive.

I thought that was the one part of that sequence that was deliciously cool/dark. The Keepers, if I remember right, have always been on the Citadel since before people in this loop discovered it, and seeing them process gross human carcasses into Reaper-juice (god that part still makes no sense) was a minor "oooooh" moment.

Then the Illusive Man just fuckin', I dunno, shows up, because he can, and my appreciation for that level of detail went awayways.

Pretty much this. The nightmares in of themselves don't seem that bad of an idea, just the execution... but then, it is Bioware...

You could have had Shepard waking up in a cold sweat after having flashbacks of his/her death, dreams of teammates getting killed, hard calls... pretty much anything else would be more poignant and meaningful than some random kid who keeps popping up.

Really, I just hate the kid full stop because it feels like Bioware are trying to emotionally manipulate me.

It's really stupid when Bioware have already created meaningful characters that players have a connection to and care about; one reason why many are pissed off over the endings. Getting people to identify with and care for your characters is one of the hardest tasks in writing, so when you've actually managed to pull that off successfully then why squander that precious resource over some goddamn kid?

Guesong

About the Illusive Man at the end...

Do he just pulls a Saren whatever what you do? Or can you fight him or something, instead of "NO I WILL NOT BE CONTROLLED!" /suicide.

Also, I feel the story (well the ending) would have been much better (even with all my other criticism about it) if they didn't try to give some justification behind the Reapers' motives. Hell, just make them bad dudes who want to wipe us out...it worked fine in ME1 and ME2! Don't see the need for some "OH CHOICES AND MORALITY!" synthetic vs organic debate, especially considering you can disprove through the game and series the whole point the Reapers are trying to make about it.

Meeeeeeh. This game. Really conflicted about it. Gameplay wise, it's awesome. But I seriously see more myself replaying Dragon Age 2 instead of this, as stupid and boring DA2 was.

Tacitus_

About the Illusive Man at the end...

Do he just pulls a Saren whatever what you do? Or can you fight him or something, instead of "NO I WILL NOT BE CONTROLLED!" /suicide.

I tried doing the renegade line on that without having the bar maxed while checking if any of the endings were good. It worked fine until the last choice when both choices were grayed out and he started aiming at Anderson. A renegade interruption popped up and I shot him between the eyes.

Ciastek3214

So yeah, the choices, they don't matter. What the hell is wrong with you Bioware? I mean GSC had a good idea with Call Of Pripyat ending when it showed what happened if you managed to keep some significant alive, or failed at it, o if you done sidequests. It was really good, why not rip off that? I mean, clearly you wouldn't mind ripping off from one more game.

I mean look at it. This is the style Mass Effect 3 ending could be done in, and it would be better than the piece of shit we have.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call Of Pripyat spoiler

Guesong

Here's the supposed "Shepard Lives" video that you can get if you have ridiculously high war assets and choose Destroy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prohgapL54Q

I haven't seen this in-game, so can't verify, but there seem to be enough people around talking about it.

Meh. Doesn't change what I think about the whole ending personally.

I think canonically it'll be that ending though. It fits best with a potential World of Mass Effect.

Guesong

But DA2 had bad writing and bad gameplay.

I know. But as bad as it was, it had catharsis at the end of it. Or at the very least an ending and possible plot choices that did not leave me depressed*.

*not depressed about the game's story. I'd be depressed with the game itself and the whole mess of it, sure, but not about its story resolution. Hell, the Arishok storyline was pretty good, and Anders' gambit as well.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I honestly dont know.

At this point I dont know if I want to even replay the game again, and thats not to say Im disappointed or mad, I truly loved it. I beat ME and ME2 close to a dozen times each, but now that I know its over, completely and truly, I dont know if I could to return to it since theres nothing to look forward to, the galaxy I know and love is gone forever even if many of its various inhabitants still survive. The Citadels gone, the Relays are gone, Shepards gone. The entire Citadel society that I became immersed in over 3 games is gone forever and it just makes me sad and I dont know if I want to see that all die again.

I dont have a problem with the endings in it of themselves, but their implications are so far reaching that I cant help be depressed because there is no way I'll ever have another journey in the ME universe that continues the story. Any likely sequels will be set so far in the future with so many dramatic changes to address the endings they'll likely be almost unrecognizable.

As for people hating on the ending and the purpose of the Reapers and all that, I can see why they have a problem with it, I though am fine and content with the Catalysts reasons for their existence and practice, but I think it would have been a smart move by BioWare if the Catalyst had explained that the Reapers had become progressively extreme in their undertaking over hundreds of cycles becoming absolutely brutal in their execution and now with the Crucible and Citadel combined Shepard had the power to stop them but still had three choices, trust the Catalyst and "fix" the Reapers, who would then "preserve" all of humanity in them for all time and continue the cycle for future species to come about, control the reapers and use them to create a new galactic order or destroy them outright and let the races of the galaxy decide their own future.

Demon Ice

Banned
Mordin's death scene and Thane's fight against Kai Leng were fucking incredible. Thane's death was incredibly sad too :( As was Legion's. Bioware has the potential to really nail the emotions in a scene, but then they also go and do idiotic shit like those nightmare sequences and shoving that annoying kid everywhere. I can't believe they decided to have the master of the goddamn Reapers look and sound like the kid.

I actually don't have a problem with the Destroy or Control endings though. The Merge one is a bit whack.

Mordin's death scene and Thane's fight against Kai Leng were fucking incredible. Thane's death was incredibly sad too :( As was Legion's. Bioware has the potential to really nail the emotions in a scene, but then they also go and do idiotic shit like those nightmare sequences and shoving that annoying kid everywhere. I can't believe they decided to have the master of the goddamn Reapers look and sound like the kid.

I actually don't have a problem with the Destroy or Control endings though. The Merge one is a bit whack.

This game has some shitty stuff but the music and cut scene was what mostly got me.
Still shitty ending if you ask me.

From what i get most Reaper forces where in the Sol system.
Defending against Sheppard and the Crucible. Why couldn't they decimate like 95% of the reapers forces in only the sole system as a option if you got every war asset out there don't know should be at about 6k or so and 100% readiness level.

Those 5% Reaper force over could be used as assets for a mmo or next trilogy. Maybe some impending evil from close by dwarf galaxy. I'm pretty sure tech went up considerable the last 5~7 years the trilogy span.

I chose the synthesis ending. Watched the other endings seems there are only 3 endings with the the characters stepping out of the normandy. Still feel shitty that Shepard had to die especially when you invested 120+ hours in this character over the trilogy.

Wish he could finally rest for a bit start a family with Miranda.

Sorry for any bad english not my native tongue.

I probably could have thought up a better ending and where there could be a other game or mmo about taking back the galaxy from other Reaper forces. You start with Earth cleaning stuff up on earth. Then begin you're 4th Space odyssey taking back other planets.
Maybe its because i want to invest more time with my Shepard im looking for ways they could end it differently.

Guesong

Mordin's death I have no problem with, but Thane's fight with Kai Leng had way too many fucking problems.

Indeed. I'll just repost what I said earlier on the subject.

It just popped in my head.

The Thane vs Kai Leng fight scene. What the hell? How many wrong is there in that scene?

Thane not shooting Kai Leng when he was on the ground and letting him pick back his sword? Thane running toward Kai Leng despite Thane having a pistol suited to long range combat and Kai Leng having...you know, a sword?

And Shepard & company not doing ANYTHING behind?

Oh, well. Spacemagic.

Indeed. I'll just repost what I said earlier on the subject.

For the parts with Kai Leng, we can just assume ANIMU! Though I did like the shot of the missiles shooting past him on Thessia. Other than that, he seems like a tacked on stereotypical anime character (complete with a Katana). I know he was in the books, but Bioware needs to learn how to set stuff up better.

On another note: Javik is such an asshole. And I love that.

"They used to eat flies."

IGN's posted an ending explanation - it seems there may be a little more nuance to bits of it than first figured:

If the Collector Base was saved

In Mass Effect 2 you're given a choice at the end of the game to either destroy, or keep the Collector's Base intact. The following endings are possible only if the base was NOT destroyed. Note: If you did not import a Mass Effect 2 save it is assumed that you destroyed the Collector Base.
  • With a readiness rating is below 1,750 points you can choose to destroy the Reapers, or control the Reapers, but regardless of your choice Earth is still destroyed.
  • If your readiness rating is at 1,750 you can choose to destroy the reapers, but Earth is still destroyed.
  • If your readiness rating is at 2,050 you can choose to control the Reapers, and Earth is saved.
  • If your readiness rating is at 2,350 you can choose to destroy the Reapers and save Earth, but Earth is devastated.
  • If your readiness rating is at 2,650 you can destroy the Reapers and save Earth.
  • If your readiness rating is at 2,800 you can choose the synergy ending for synthetics and organics saving the planet Earth, and the entire Galaxy.
  • If your readiness rating is at 4,000 you can choose to destroy the reapers, be able to "save" Anderson and Shepard lives.
  • If your readiness rating is at 5,000 you can choose to destroy the reapers. If you were unable to "save" Anderson Shepard still lives.

If the Collector Base was destroyed
If you did not import a Mass Effect 2 save it is assumed that you destroyed the Collector Base. If that's the case, or if you imported a save where you made the decision to destroy the Collector base these are the possible endings.
  • With a readiness rating that's under 1,750 points Earth will be destroyed regardless of the choice you made. You can still choose to control the Reapers, or Destroy them, but it will not affect the outcome.
  • With a readiness rating at 1,750 you can choose to control the reapers, but Earth will still be destroyed.
  • With a readiness rating at 1,900 you can choose to destroy the Reapers and save Earth, but Earth will be devastated.
  • With a readiness rating at 2,350 you can choose to control the Reapers and by doing so you'll save Earth.
  • With a readiness rating of 2,650 you can choose to destroy the Reapers and Earth will be saved.
  • With a readiness rating of 2,800 you can choose the Synergy ending that will combine organics and synthetics. Earth will be saved as well as the Galaxy if you get this ending.
  • With a readiness rating of 4,000 you can choose to destroy the Reapers, and you can "save" Anderson. Shepard also lives in this scenario.
  • With a readiness rating of 5,000 you can choose to destroy the Reapers, and if you don't "save" Anderson, Shepard will still live.

Link: http://uk.ign.com/wikis/mass-effect-3/Endings

Going to shoot to save Anderson and have Shepard live next time, then.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
IGN's posted an ending explanation - it seems there may be a little more nuance to bits of it than first figured:

Link: http://uk.ign.com/wikis/mass-effect-3/Endings

Going to shoot to save Anderson and have Shepard live next time, then.

It should be noted that Anderson never actually survives. You simply save him from being killed by TIM. He still dies after that but with Shepard in a more peaceful "we did it" manner. Then Shepard goes on to make the choice of control, merge or destroy.

Guesong

Hmm.

With a readiness rating of 4,000 you can choose to destroy the Reapers, and you can "save" Anderson. Shepard also lives in this scenario.

I destroyed the base in ME2...and my Shepard died, but I did save Anderson. So unless they are missing some options or specification (like "Only apply if you choose Renegade Ending) this can't be right.

I think I had the worst ending possible because I didn't really mess with the Galatic Readiness. I had Shepard die, Reapers, Earth, and Relays destroyed.

Pretty rough ending. Definitely sticks with you, and even though I was never that immersed in the lore (I beat the other 2 games just once then never played them again), I still felt something when the final scene triggered and I realized how many people had been killed.

I dunno...I feel like the ending itself isn't that bad.

Mad_Ban

Not sure that I like the only way for Shepard to live is for him to destroy the Reapers and all synthetic life also. :/

To be fair, Shepard is kind of vapourised in the synergy and control endings, so it makes sense. :p

Speaking of the vapourising, I thought it was a really nice touch to see Shepards implants show as he's dying. It's pretty much one of the only glimpses we get that he's a cyborg in the series.

scarybore

Out of interest, was there any stuff in the game about dark energy? When I saw the meeting with the quarians was in the Dholen system and they had a special ship, I thought we were going to learn more about it but I don't think it was mentioned once. Nothing on Noveria either.

On another note: Javik is such an asshole. And I love that.

Yeah, really liked the direction they took with Javik and the prothean race being portrayed as imperialist dicks. Seeing him interact with Wrex on Sur'kesh with both receiving annoyed looks off the Salarians, and him explaining the asari religious relics on Thessia with Liara in denial was great.

Speaking of Thessia, I got more of an impact of that planet falling to the reapers than I did with Earth, even felt bad for the asari councillor.

What pisses me off about all of these endings, are that up to that point Mass Effect was about bravery and science. At the end it becomes philosophical and incredibly unsatisfactory.

I was expecting to sacrifice myself at the end, so that the people I met could have a better life, but nooo.

It's just so incredibly off what you'd expect.

One second you're on earth fighting zombies, and the next your in the equivalent of heaven talking to a figment of your imagination about life between synthetics and organics. When I did get to choose I only stood there thinking "Wait, so how do I defeat the reapers and not fuck everything up for everyone else".

Don't know what to feel. Been playing this game like a slave for these past couple of days after several years of worship, and this is how it ends?

Rokam

Not sure that I like the only way for Shepard to live is for him to destroy the Reapers and all synthetic life also. :/

To be fair, Shepard is kind of vapourised in the synergy and control endings, so it makes sense. :p

Speaking of the vapourising, I thought it was a really nice touch to see Shepards implants show as he's dying. It's pretty much one of the only glimpses we get that he's a cyborg in the series.

Agreed. Just spent all that time saving the Geth. Oh well the destroy option is terrible. At least with the others the reapers are still around and can be used to rebuild the Mass Relays.

They should have let the prothean sacrifice himself to destroy the reaper would have given the DLC a better purpose then the awesome lore we get out of it. See it like a act of revenge for the prothean empire. Then DLC could be about taking back/helping other races get their planet back. Because the massive amount of the reaper fleet were stationed at the citadel if im correct.

Looking for plots to just keep shepard alive :p.
Glad everything i did in the previous game got me a 5.4k war assets score.
Peace between Quarian and Geth.
Wrex alive and Mordin redemption for Genophage(shame he had to die was favorite mass effect 2 character)
And lol at Drunk Tali.
Now DLC will kinda feels shitty knowing the end with Mass Effect 2 you had a good reason for post story DLC.
Hope they dont abuse it and bring out a gazillion 1~3 weapon packs but he we are talking about EA and Bioware.

Not really feeling the anger the rest has with copy paste stuff.
Most Games are designed around the Power of 3 and 5 concept(2 Squad Members, 3 options good,evil,middleground, etc).

Rokam

Oh yeah I also did the destroy option my first run through, saved Anderson and had well over the amount of War Assets needed. Didn't survive. However there was a set of dialogue greyed out so I'm assuming however you trigger that dialogue is how you live.

Oh yeah I also did the destroy option my first run through, saved Anderson and had well over the amount of War Assets needed. Didn't survive. However there was a set of dialogue greyed out so I'm assuming however you trigger that dialogue is how you live.

Yeah after choosing the 2 second paragon/renegade option there was a grayed out option.
But my shepard had already shot him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom