• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

embalm

iZg20M190Z1mV.png
Holy crap. Awesome.

All of Mass Effect is hokey B-grade sci-fi. People put it up on a mantle because we almost never get space opera video games.

Even so, we expect our hokey B-grade sci-fi to end that way... not as some weird non-sensical artsy-philosophically-vague thing. Thus the problem.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Anyways, was it just me, or did the whole paragon or renegade points mean almost diddly squat? I went almost full paragon and throughout the game, the renegade talking option was virtually always available.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
You're not entitled. You apparently just have an ego the size of the moon, and no one else's opinion matters but yours.

Get off your damned high horse and realize there's a bit of nuance to the situation. You're no better than the people that don't understand what your side is saying, either. People can enjoy the ending and realize there are problems, you know.

I mean seriously why is an ending to a game a "You're either with us or against us" situation? This is a little bit silly.

Well put. I've been following these topics ever since I finished the game and while I can fully see why people are upset about the ending and have some solid problems with it myself it did not negate the rest of the game, let alone series for me. I'm fine with people who do feel that way but the venomous derogatory attitude towards people who see some good elements in the ending and such is very offputting. There's no need to turn this in such an us vs them situation.

Holy fuck...I think I laughed so hard I had a seizure.

I'm wondering how close EA is to going out to the Nevada desert and burying copies of this game?

I was at Electronics Boutique today. Two guys were furious over trying to trade it in and EB would only give them $20 for it because they have so many copies already.

Bioware...so sad.

some tweets that may show that indoc theory is just a theory....

563732_546465922518_176700266_30642162_1474894597_n.jpg

Honestly, if I ever wind up in a PR job like that...please pull the plug

And I know this gaf and there's quite a bunch of people here who would not like anyone telling them they cannot (or do not) create art, but I find that expression on "artistic integrity" so revolting and dishonest it makes me want to throw up.

And the whole "good for yooouuu, thanks"... well, southpark did it.

DTKT

You're not entitled. You apparently just have an ego the size of the moon, and no one else's opinion matters but yours.

Get off your damned high horse and realize there's a bit of nuance to the situation. You're no better than the people that don't understand what your side is saying, either. People can enjoy the ending and realize there are problems, you know.

I mean seriously why is an ending to a game a "You're either with us or against us" situation? This is a little bit silly.

Agreed. Don't be dicks to each other and respect the other side opinion.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Well put. I've been following these topics ever since I finished the game and while I can fully see why people are upset about the ending and have some solid problems with it myself it did not negate the rest of the game, let alone series for me. I'm fine with people who do feel that way but the venomous derogatory attitude towards people who see some good elements in the ending and such is very offputting. There's no need to turn this in such an us vs them situation.

With running the risk of sounding derogatory, what exactly about the ending was "good" for you? Or why didn't you have a problem with it? I'm honestly curious.

Incidentally, I think that's what most of the people who 'have a problem' with the ending aren't seeing from the pro-ending crowd, something substantial backing up their reasons for liking it.

(This is of course operating off the logic that you have to appreciate something to like it, as opposed to neutrality)

The ending of Mass Effect 3 is just a symptom of the problem that Bioware has.

I`m willing to bet that there are issues that people have with the game that they can`t really articulate but because the ending is so blatantly half-assed that it`s the issue that gets the most coverage.

Anyways, was it just me, or did the whole paragon or renegade points mean almost diddly squat? I went almost full paragon and throughout the game, the renegade talking option was virtually always available.

The colour of the reputation meter still mattered. The more red it was, the more Shep became RoboShep.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I was at Electronics Boutique today. Two guys were furious over trying to trade it in and EB would only give them $20for it because they have so many copies already.

Bioware...so sad.
That shouldn't be happening. It's $30 guaranteed trade-in

EDIT: manager approval needed

Dany

Banned
Wow this thread filled up with defenders and loonies since I last read. Psh.

Anyone that defends the ending I've found to be ignorant and not understanding of what's happening, or jumping on the bandwagon with the outsiders who love to call ending haters (so mostly everyone) "entitled". Shit is lame.

This is not a thing you can comprehend.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The most painful part of this whole thing is that the Mass effect franchise has so much utter potential. There's so much quality put into the games that I would say 95% of it is excellent. It's just that the 5% is basically a big "fuck you" to the player. It's like a two man kayaking race, and you're in first place. Just before you reach the finish line, your partner turns around and kicks you in the face and bails out. Man I thought the terminator ending in ME2 was stupid but this one was actually insulting.

Actually, the image of human terminator-like reapers smashing everything up in a future cycle is kinda cool. It'd be like the start of T2... only bigger in scale.

Digoman

It's probably been pointed out already, but having visions of either Kaidan or Ash would've been far more powerful for me at least. That would make replaying that decision in ME1 even better knowing they'll come back to haunt you.

Missed opportunity. Assuming the voice of the Catalyst was different then Ashley/Kaidan, we have left some visions in dreams. Bioware could've used any number of models, such as possible deaths of your squad in ME2, or if you saved everyone, the Vilmire death.

Of course, with a little bit of planning for the trilogy, they could have killed someone important in ME2 and used that. But no, we get a kid for symbol of Earth/Guilt.

I have seen this cycle more times then you can fathom.

*sigh*, yeah.... I've been here since post #400 or something of the first thread. Sooooo many cycles.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
With running the risk of sounding derogatory, what exactly about the ending was "good" for you? I'm honestly curious.

Incidentally, I think that's what most of the people who 'have a problem' with the ending aren't seeing from the pro-ending crowd, something substantial backing up their reasons for liking it.

(This is of course operating off the logic that you have to appreciate something to like it, as opposed to neutrality)

Not much actually. Liked it up until Illusive Man stopped talking and I liked elements of the synthesis solution and would have liked to see how that played out a bit more. Didn't like space kid, would have preferred more of a suicide run 2.0 approach to the last mission to make the build up better by assigning races to do cerain objectives and such. Having final convos with your squad was good but could have been elaborated upon. As I said I have problems with the ending as well and would certainly not qualify it as good but it just didn't poison the entire series for me. I just hate people jumping on other people who do like the ending or try to positively make sense of the repercussions.

Omega

Banned
I'm not sure if it's been discussed, but there's systems that are Reaper controlled territory, but you can't actually visit the systems.

One of them is the Omega system, but the others I don't recognize from previous ME games. I think one of them is the system that Ilos was on. My guess is they included these systems for future DLC because they haven't added systems you couldn't visit in the two previous games. Just seems odd that they would do it now for no reason.

Guess that Omega DLC is going to happen..

It's like a two man kayaking race, and you're in first place. Just before you reach the finish line, your partner turns around and kicks you in the face and bails out. Man I thought the terminator ending in ME2 was stupid but this one was actually insulting.

Pretty much. It's like you have that last Flag in Halo. So does the other team. You are the caretaker of the flag, a passenger in the warthog, flying across the map. Rockets are flying at you, grenades, and the uneven terrain very nearly flips the vehicle I don't know how many times, yet you manage to stay more or less on all four wheels. You see the base, it's drawing closer, the driver is excellently navigating the field of destruction. The plan is very clearly to get around to the back of the base, hop out of the warthog, evade any sniper with a trained eye and get inside and capture that flag before the other team can do the same. You approach the base, come around the right side in a counter-clockwise arc, and just as you're about to the bail-out point, the driver banks a hard right and careens right off the edge of the cliff.

You've just been BioWared.

rdrr gnr

I know I'm incredibly late to this, but I just saw the "cast" interviews for the voice actors. I didn't know FPJr. was Vega, no wonder "loco" sounded so awkward. Also, Tricia Helfer looks absolutely amazing for her age (and in general). She played EDI perfectly, and is a natural voice actor. I hope she keeps getting offers to voice characters as she has been for the past few years. Hell, I think James Callis would do a solid job if offered.

rozay

Banned
I'm not sure if it's been discussed, but there's systems that are Reaper controlled territory, but you can't actually visit the systems.

One of them is the Omega system, but the others I don't recognize from previous ME games. I think one of them is the system that Ilos was on. My guess is they included these systems for future DLC because they haven't added systems you couldn't visit in the two previous games. Just seems odd that they would do it now for no reason.

Guess that Omega DLC is going to happen..
Are you talking about the random dots on the map? These seem to be there because of the way arrows are displayed when you're travelling from one mass relay to another, they may or may not be systems that'll show up with DLC.

That's awesome. One of the first reactions I had to the ending was "There is no way Sovereign was pro-organic." If you accept the ending, suddenly Sovereign's pissy attitude only makes sense if he's annoyed that he was stuck hanging out in the Milkyway while the other Reapers were partying down in dark space. Then he's forced to sacrifice himself to attempt to activate the Citadel, while the glowy space god child watches and snickers. Poor Sovereign always getting the shaft.

Dany

Banned
Bioware at PAX is going ot be fun to witness. I wonder what will happen

Can the internet be well-mannered in a public space or will mob-mentality take over?

I've been lurking most of the time throughout this entire debate. I understand all the rage, but I think it's time we move on from all this, guys. Start playing other games and just let go.

Coming from a huge ME3 fan, yes I am confused about all the plotholes, yes I am confused about wether or not the indoctrination theory is true, but im just tired of all SPECULATION BY EVERYONE. At the moment, i'mjust anticipating whats going to be announced in april, just to see the internet in uproar again. (Those of you expecting free DLC? lol good luck with that)

Can the internet be well-mannered in a public space or will mob-mentality take over?

I expect mob is more likely. But I suppose there will also be more screening before it? No point in having a panel if the whole room starts throwing their shoes or something.

It'll be fine.

The anonymity of the internet makes people a wee bit bold.

finally got around to listening to the podcast part of this.
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/3/26/2898253/mass-effect-3-ending-talk

Shit.... Sessler want's ME1 to be remade to feel more like 2 and 3?

That's actually pretty likely to happen sometime.

My god.

And gaming media needs to stop talking about this. It seems like more often than not; I am disappointed by what they are saying.

DTKT

It's going to be terrible. For everyone involved. I'm surprised they haven't canceled it.

I've been lurking most of the time throughout this entire debate. I understand all the rage, but I think it's time we move on from all this, guys. Start playing other games and just let go.
I would move on but there's nothing I'm interested in playing right now, or in the near future. I mean I bought Journey but I finished that in one sitting. I guess I could go trophy whoring with that. There's Kid Icarus but I've heard so many mixed things about it. March has been a really disappointing month. I suppose I could go through my backlog...but eh.

I expect mob is more likely. But I suppose there will also be more screening before it? No point in having a panel if the whole room starts throwing their shoes or something.

Ugh. Honestly, the worst of the worst are going to be the fans that confront them aggressively. It will be a shit storm and nothing good will come out of it. Cool headed logical people are always drowned out.

I expect a panel of community managers, because not a single person on the dev teams is going to have the balls to show up. There will be lots of booing at certain statements, but that's about it. Keep in mind all these panels screen questions before letting people come up. They may only allow that first ending question and then squelch the rest.

Top Bottom