• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda Graphical Downgrade

HooYaH

43624-2-1369778647.png

Doesn't look bad. Like they changed the setup. Though that last comparison is something I'd call a step down.
Don't think any mods ever will fix animations. :/

They screwed up something with the eye shaders, the eyes almost universally look awful now.

Everything else? Looks close to the same, maybe with the lighting simplified so it doesn't run like ass on the consoles.

Lister

Banned
Common people. We all understand optimization and differences in render targets.

No need to go full stupid and claim there are no differences.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Looks good to me, can't wait.

One would think after so many years of this people would get shit happens in game development.

Makes you wonder why they have always been so lacking when it comes creating female human faces even after so many years, money and talented recruits.
They look fine.

It's funny that in these games it's always the women that get criticised.

Like, maybe it's not that these studios suck at modelling women and maybe it's that you have unrealistic expectations of what women in games should look like?

I remember when ME2 & ME3 used to blow me away graphics wise. But now after Horizon itll take a lot more. Hopefully the story and gameplay is good

Nasbin

What? The 'Mass Effect reveal' was an awful slideshow of concept art and 3 second off-screen slices of someone's monitor. How can you claim that there was a downgrade when we have nothing to actually compare? That a cinematic looks different doesn't mean there was a 'downgrade', come on OP.

a916

The Asari's face looks more detailed in the latest version...

The lighting is worse on the ship on the last set of images...

Every game is downgraded. This should be no surprise at this point.

It's how game development works... art get's done first and authored at a high level. All sorts of stuff is added to the game near the end, first place to suffer/optimise is art...

I wish we had slightly tighter moderation. It feels like some of these threads are just built around creating outrage. And I know I'm saying that about Mass Effect, my favorite franchise but I believe that to be true for a lot of threads these days.

i-Lo

They look fine.

Perhaps to thee, however, to many of us their incapability in this regard is quite notable. ME 1-3 had the same problem. Sorry to be blunt but they're a class behind devs like CDPR or SE when it comes to creating good looking female faces (& again, a lot of it comes to hair).

Being poor at it in ME1 was one thing but after changing engines and having the benefits of current gen have not yielded proportional improvement. Thankfully, the non-humans and human males fare much better.

Like, maybe it's not that these studios suck at modelling women and maybe it's that you have unrealistic expectations of what women in games should look like?

Get off that high horse mate. I'm not the only one here making some subjective BS. CDPR did a lot of justice to quite a few NPC human females. It comes to shader tech and hair not the model's proportions.

dracula_x

So different color temperature + more crisp textures and less DoF = "downgrade". Ok :)

I wish we had slightly tighter moderation. It feels like some of these threads are just built around creating outrage. And I know I'm saying that about Mass Effect, my favorite franchise but I believe that to be true for a lot of threads these days.

Yep.

Lister

Banned

Dude, starting a thread like this isn't and shouldn't be an issue... thread whining is bannable though.

Syntax

Don't think any mods ever will fix animations. :/

They have animation mods. I just hope someone creates one that allows Ryder to moonwalk everywhere.

They look fine.

I 'unno. I've seen universal derision at all Andromeda characters. More directed at BroRyder than any of the female cast so far, imo.

But my standards of beauty for my game womenz is an ideal. They need ta have big plot and walk the tightrope.

It's a joke. Geez.

Perhaps to thee, however, to many of us their incapability in this regard is quite notable. ME 1-3 had the same problem. Sorry to be blunt but they're a class behind devs like CDPR or SE when it comes to creating good looking female faces (& again, a lot of it comes to hair).

Being poor at it in ME1 was one thing but after changing engines and having the benefits of current gen have not yielded proportional improvement. Thankfully, the non-humans and human males fare much better.
CDPR creating "good looking female faces" is about them specifically designing them to look attractive.

female characters can be less attractive than Triss or I-don't-know-her.gif

Lister

Banned
So different color temperature + more crisp textures and less DoF = "downgrade". Ok :)

Why do people do this. It's as though they think we aren't loking at the same screens.

The lighting and shadowing are VERY much more complex in the reveal. Lighting is volumetric, and shaders on the skin and eyes appear more complex and realistic in the reveal too. That high quality Bokeh depth of field isn't chepa to run, and it looks great too.

Renekton

It's fine, even as I am a big ME fan.

Witcher 3 got tons more downgrade outrage here. So this is fair game.

JBwB

Have to agree there. It's getting ridiculous at this point.

Gaz_RB

I can't contain my anger at this right now.

Its like these game developers are just BLATANTLY LYING TO US.

We can't stand for this. #ethicsingamedevelopment

Whales

Banned
holy shit is femryder ugly as fuck, especially in the ''latest'' pic

tbh it's all because her mouth looks too big, it makes her look dumb

i-Lo

CDPR creating "good looking female faces" is about them specifically designing them to look attractive.

I'm done with your BS. It has to do with tech, not model proportions.

For example (all the regular women in this clip from a sidequest in TW3 fare better than ME:A due to the shader tech and better hair modelling): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05CdYLKeEBs

Also, DICE's models with Frostbite 3 (albeit not an RPG) are much better whilst running at 60fps (however, with far smaller scope): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCk_F-rHaXQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCk_F-rHaXQ

Juraash

The waking up sequence looks different, lighting, colours etc. It's interesting considering what Aaryn Flynn said last summer

"But the good news is that everything we showed in that trailer is right from the game so none of that is made by CG or anything like that"

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mass-effect-andromeda-dev-on-studio-tensions-femal/1100-6440814/

Is it really that interesting? Not CG doesn't equate to won't change before it ships.

On a broader scale, when was the last time a Bioware game really blew anyone's mind? I remember them looking fine but not blow your god damn mind. Besides, all the shaders and sick graphics in the world can't save the game from those sweet animations.

Overall the graphics seem fine. If it runs ok I don't personally see anything here to be outraged over.

Wulfram

Really? I actually like the default main character, she looks lovable in a goofball kind of way. She just doesn't look like she mean business, like default Shep and Femshep did.

She also looks kind of young. Is she like 23 or something?

She's 22ish. Not counting the 600 or so years in cryostasis.

Charamiwa

Banned

In ME:A I really don't think this is a matter of attractiveness. I watched a bunch of streams today, and a lot of female characters just look goofy or weird, barely human at times. The eyes are empty znd they move too fast, the haircuts don't fit... There's a woman on the bridge of the ship that looks like a wax statue and her haircut fits weirdly on her head. I really think this is a problem on their part.

HeelPower

Aren't we supposed to be over this ?

When will people understand that this happens because devs are forced to make compromises to make shit run ?

There's no overarching,grand conspiracy to gimp the players.

dracula_x

Why do people do this. It's as though they think we aren't loking at the same screens.

The lighting and shadowing are VERY much more complex in the reveal. Lighting is volumetric, and shaders on the skin and eyes appear more complex and realistic in the reveal too. That high quality Bokeh depth of field isn't chepa to run, and it looks great too.

Well, look again. Actually new screens look much more realistic.

Is it really that interesting? Not CG doesn't equate to won't change before it ships.

On a broader scale, when was the last time a Bioware game really blew anyone's mind? I remember them looking fine but not blow your god damn mind. Besides, all the shaders and sick graphics in the world can't save the game from those sweet animations.

Overall the graphics seem fine. If it runs ok I don't personally see anything here to be outraged over.

I thought it was interesting, Mass Effect 2 impressed me from a visual standpoint when it was released. Peebee in that E3 trailer looks better than now in my opinion, maybe I should get glasses.

Top Bottom