• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

nOoblet16

Btw I think it's better to not know what tone the icons represent and rather pick the answer on what you feel. I finished the entire game and the only icon I recognised was heart icon which I thought was casual but turns out is actually the "compassion" icon.

Instead of thinking about the tone I just picked whichever response felt appropriate.

Ralemont

not me
Liam is really growing on me. Just did his dialogue where he talks about the car and I thought it was really well written. Damn near almost romanced him right there.

Ascenion

ME2 isn't irrelevant in any way.

It's the calm before the storm of all out war, and a more personal tale that's there to get you invested in your crew so the events of 3 have more impact.

It works perfectly in that regard. It's not 2's fault that 3 fudged things.

If you skip 2 you miss a /lot/.

If you miss 2 you miss some characters that are easily replaceable since any mixture of them can be dead. In fact the plot is so bullshit they had to kill shepard to even make it work. In terms of overarching plot? No. The plot of the Trilogy moves forward more in Arrival and Lair of the Shadow than it does in the entirety of Mass Effect 2. You can absolutely have the same character interaction and have actual plot progression. Mass Effect 2 is the weakest link. Arrival's plot expanded to the whole of ME2 would've made a better game. And at least set up ME3.

Been thinking about a couple of things while I try to finish EOS.

First, is it me or does the remnant are like the baby or young repears from the original trilogy. some have the red eye and they have those tentacles or whatever.

Second, I'm getting the impression is that the Kett are the more civilized collectors...minus the bug looking dude who was in control in ME 2.

Overall, I love this game. But I came to appreciate biotic powers and looking forward to starting a brand new Biotic Shepherd in the original games.

PS: Still can't believe I can run this game on my xps laptop w/ 960M video card. Everything is pretty much on medium settings and it looks great.

flippeh

Can't beat the kett base encounter because of this bullshit graphical issue.

And at the very end of the lengthy wave based fight it just keeps crashing to desktop. I either have to turn around and not bother with the quest at all or keep gambling on it maybe working. I've tried it five times now to no luck.

Fuck this.

I was having similar issues in some cutscenes and the odd times in regular gameplay. After some fiddling with settings I found changing post processing to high from ultra resolved that problem for me. I was able to keep everything else on Ultra.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I absolutely love Mass Effect but I'm really struggling with this game's gameplay.

Playing on Hardcore (or whatever is the one above Normal), but I noticed this even in Bronze Strike Team missions: it just seems like all of the enemies take an absurd amount of punishment before they go down. That and the cover system is really finicky and does not inspire much confidence when you use or even when the hidden indicator is active. I don't feel difficulty as much as I do frustration in combat scenarios when my health starts getting shredded for reasons I don't know. I'm going to push forward on hardcore, but if the cover system is this bad throughout I might kick back to Normal.

Also, I'm experiencing a ton of weird camera angles, flickering and pop-in (regular PS4). I never think those kinds of technical bugs are deal breakers exactly, but it's pretty noticeable and frequent. Also, apparently everyone has oily skin in Andromeda.

This game needs some serious patching ASAP.

Vamphuntr

Can't beat the kett base encounter because of this bullshit graphical issue.

gifi1ovm.gif

And at the very end of the lengthy wave based fight it just keeps crashing to desktop. I either have to turn around and not bother with the quest at all or keep gambling on it maybe working. I've tried it five times now to no luck.

Fuck this.

There is another game breaking glitch on PC. It seems the game will always CTD if you have Vetra's Loyalty Quest, final phase of Contagion and Firefighters Quests active when you come back on the Nexus.

Caayn

Again that wasn't the first time an Angaran was speaking to a human, they've been doing it for a year. The exiles have been living, trading and working with them since then, but they didn't have a diplomatic relationship nor did the Angarans trust the exiles. They didn't know there was a difference between the exiles and Initiative. They DID go into saying that the translators have not been working properly recently, which is why you hear snippets of alien dialogues or words during that point in the game.
I realize that, I'm fine with the Angara and the Exiles having met before. Thus the two species already had a first-contact moment. (Although I'd have preferred to have done it myself instead of it having off-screen in the past.)

However you, Ryder, acts as if it's just another random group of a species that you've already met. At no point did I get the feeling that you, Ryder, was actually in conversation with a new species from another galaxy that you haven't seen before.

Zesh

I absolutely love Mass Effect but I'm really struggling with this game's gameplay.

Playing on Hardcore (or whatever is the one above Normal), but I noticed this even in Bronze Strike Team missions: it just seems like all of the enemies take an absurd amount of punishment before they go down. That and the cover system is really finicky and does not inspire much confidence when you use or even when the hidden indicator is active. I don't feel difficulty as much as I do frustration in combat scenarios when my health starts getting shredded for reasons I don't know. I'm going to push forward on hardcore, but if the cover system is this bad throughout I might kick back to Normal.

Also, I'm experiencing a ton of weird camera angles, flickering and pop-in (regular PS4). I never think those kinds of technical bugs are deal breakers exactly, but it's pretty noticeable and frequent. Also, apparently everyone has oily skin in Andromeda.

This game needs some serious patching ASAP.

It's definitely rough early on. It becomes much easier as you progress through the game and get more skills/passives, better equipment, and useful augmentations. With all of the freedom in the skill system and the crafting system, you can make extremely powerful builds.

nOoblet16

ME2 isn't irrelevant in any way.

It's the calm before the storm of all out war, and a more personal tale that's there to get you invested in your crew so the events of 3 have more impact.

It works perfectly in that regard. It's not 2's fault that 3 fudged things.

If you skip 2 you miss a /lot/.

You are missing his point, he is talking about the overarching plot.
Interaction with squadmate gives you a personal tale but that's not overarching plot..it might make you feel different in 3rd game but again that doesn't really has anything to do with the overarching plot, but rather your connection to the characters which is what ME2 built.

I realize that, I'm fine with the Angara and the Exiles having met before. Thus the two species already had a first-contact moment. (Although I'd have preferred to have done it myself instead of it having off-screen in the past.)

However you, Ryder, acts as if it's just another random group of a species that you've already met. At no point did I get the feeling that you, Ryder, was actually in conversation with a new species from another galaxy that you haven't seen before.

I certainly didn't feel that way. The conversation with your crew/nexus before and after Ryder meets them, where he/she talks about how the stakes are high and this time they have to get it right (unlike the Kett) is enough for me to believe that this is the first time he/she is meeting them.

Maledict

Interaction with squadmate gives you a personal tale but that's not overarching plot..it might make you feel different in 3rd game but again that doesn't really has anything to do with the overarching plot, but rather your connection to the characters which is what ME2 built.

The overarching plot does work in the context of ME1. It's ME3 that buggers the entire thing up by having the reapers turn up anyways (which makes NO sense given what we learn in ME1 and ME2).

M2 positioned the reapers as being stuck a long way away, and the collectors were functioning as their back up plan to their back up plan (sovereign). The back door into the galaxy is they ever really needed one. The plan was to slowly build another reaper, and then presumably activate the citedal jump gate and bring the rest of the reapers in as usual.

It was Arrival and then ME3 which changed the overarching narrative of the series to date - up until that point we had no indication the reapers could just fly here in a couple of months if necessary. ME2 works fine as a sequel to Me1 (in the first game, they tried the all-out assault, in the second game they go for the more subtle, slow plan).

Caayn

I certainly didn't feel that way. The conversation with your crew/nexus before and after Ryder meets them, where he/she talks about how the stakes are high and this time they have to get it right (unlike the Kett) is enough for me to believe that this is the first time he/she is meeting them.
I agree about the feeling before and after. But that feeling was nowhere, for me, during the meeting.

Ascenion

The overarching plot does work in the context of ME1. It's ME3 that buggers the entire thing up by having the reapers turn up anyways (which makes NO sense given what we learn in ME1 and ME2).

M2 positioned the reapers as being stuck a long way away, and the collectors were functioning as their back up plan to their back up plan (sovereign). The back door into the galaxy is they ever really needed one. The plan was to slowly build another reaper, and then presumably activate the citedal jump gate and bring the rest of the reapers in as usual.

It was Arrival and then ME3 which changed the overarching narrative of the series to date - up until that point we had no indication the reapers could just fly here in a couple of months if necessary. ME2 works fine as a sequel to Me1 (in the first game, they tried the all-out assault, in the second game they go for the more subtle, slow plan).

It's still on ME2 to connect the two titles, the thing is planned as a trilogy. The entire point of ME2 is to take plot points from ME1, flesh them out and set up the final entry. The reapers are the end game. So they have to get here somehow. ME1 and 3 work fine together. It's only questionable when you add in ME2. That's why it's irrelevant. You don't learn more about the reapers, you don't stop them from getting here, you do nothing honestly. If Arrival is simply Mass Effect 1 DLC then you don't miss much of anything.

Just full extracted in multiplayer... "Failed to load mission results" .... no exp or credits. I am fucking DONE.

Why is this game so FUCKED UP

Lt-47

I don't know how anyone can think that when the game end like that :

PkQ7xH0.gif

Does this look like some poor Reapers stranded in dark space ? Hell even ME1 ends with "the Reapers are sill coming and I'm going to find a way to stop them" or something. Which left me scratching my head back then. Turned out it was just very badley explained fom the get go.
They fucked the narrative from day one

Akai__

Can somebody tell me where the original "Help Tej fight the Kett" location on Voeld is?

Appareantly you have to talk to him first before proceeding, otherwise the mission will bug out and not show the location marker anymore, which is the case with my game currently.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This my favorite mass effect game by a mile.

The previous games were good, but I never felt like I was exploring a new frontier. This nails that aspect on so many levels. The massive planets littered with alien ruins, the way you navigate the galactic map, the history you uncover along the way.

Also, the combat is fantastic. It took me about 10 hours to wrap my head around how to play it correctly, but once it clicked I started loving it. It kind of reminds me of Vanquish, with the constant slide strafing and time slowdown when executing jumps.

My main gripe is performance on the Pro. The input lag really hurts the excellently designed combat.

This is also a totally unique game overall. There just arent any hard sci fi massive open world single player RPGs. The closest I've played to this is Precursors, an obscure Russian sci fi RPG.

edgefusion

Are the Omni-tools bugged? They don't look like a usable device, just a weird mash of incomprehensible lines. Is it supposed to be this way or a visual glitch that got missed somehow?

Zakalwe

Banned
If you miss 2 you miss some characters that are easily replaceable since any mixture of them can be dead. In fact the plot is so bullshit they had to kill shepard to even make it work. In terms of overarching plot? No. The plot of the Trilogy moves forward more in Arrival and Lair of the Shadow than it does in the entirety of Mass Effect 2. You can absolutely have the same character interaction and have actual plot progression. Mass Effect 2 is the weakest link. Arrival's plot expanded to the whole of ME2 would've made a better game. And at least set up ME3.

Having a middle part to the story that sets up personal investment is far from a waste of time.

You might not like 2, but you're wrong in your assessment. It's an essential part of the trilogy.

Maledict

It's still on ME2 to connect the two titles, the thing is planned as a trilogy. The entire point of ME2 is to take plot points from ME1, flesh them out and set up the final entry. The reapers are the end game. So they have to get here somehow. ME1 and 3 work fine together. It's only questionable when you add in ME2. That's why it's irrelevant. You don't learn more about the reapers, you don't stop them from getting here, you do nothing honestly. If Arrival is simply Mass Effect 1 DLC then you don't miss much of anything.

Um, you learn a lot about the reapers?

We learnt what happened to the Protheans. We learnt that the reapers are actually made from the races they harvest.

I agree in the context of a trilogy it doesn't work - but that's because each game was linked tenuously to the others because (despite what Bioware were saying) - they never had it planned out as a trilogy.

And Arrival doesn't work at all, on any level. It's a dumb expansion that makes no sense. Sovereign corrupted the Rachnii over a thousand years ago to try and get to the citedal because the Protheans had disrupted the backdoor mechanism. If there was a mass relay just sitting waiting in Baterrian space why would he do that? Drop the reaper fleet in, immediately fly to the citedal, shut down the relay network. could be done in a matter of hours and would be totally unstoppable.

ME1 and Me2 both clearly set up the fact that without the citedal, the reapers cannot get to our galaxy anytime soon. It's Arrival and Me3 that bugger that up.

(And Arrival need not exist at all - remove it from the game and *nothing* changes, at all).

I've seen you say this a few times, and I don't think it's backed up. All we see in ME1 and ME2 is that the Reapers prefer to have a really, REALLY stacked deck when they show up. That's why Sovereign spent a little (in comparison to the cycle-to-cycle scale) time trying to get control of the Citadel, that's why Harbringer tried to use the Collectors to make another Reaper to try again, and it's why in Arrival they tried to snag the Alpha Relay. Conventional war was their last choice, but it's never indicated that it wasn't a choice at all.

ME2 dropped the ball, hard. You can't have the middle part of a trilogy be that much of a diversion from your main plot.

Maledict

I don't know how anyone can think that when the game end like that :

PkQ7xH0.gif

Does this look like some poor Reapers stranded in dark space ? Hell even ME1 ends with "the Reapers are sill coming and I'm going to find a way to stop them" or something. Which left me scratching my head back then.
They fucked the narrative from day one

Because look how far away the Reapers are! They are so far away from the galaxy that even at speeds far faster than any FLT engine we know of in universe it will be lifetimes before they get here! That's why they had the backdoor, and the repeated attempts to activate it (Rachnii, Geth, Collectors).

the idea that after everything we go through in Me1 and Me2, they could turn up in a matter of months, is just totally out of sync with everything we learn.

Maledict

I've seen you say this a few times, and I don't think it's backed up. All we see in ME1 and ME2 is that the Reapers prefer to have a really, REALLY stacked deck when they show up. That's why Sovereign spent some time (comparatively little) trying to get control of the Citadel, that's why Harbringer tried to use the Collectors to make another Reaper to try again, and it's why in Arrival they tried to snag the Alpha Relay. Conventional war was their last choice, but it's never indicated that it wasn't a choice at all.

They corrupted the Rachnii over a thousand years ago to try and get into the galaxy. You don't do that then wait a thousand years for your next attempt, and then when that fails enact a really slow plan to build a replacement Reaper, and then when that fails suddenly turn up a few months later. It just doesn't make any logical sense, at all.

Plus, the Arrival relay could just have dropped the entire fleet in anyways apparently. why bother going to the Citedal direct when you could drop in there, then fly to the Citedal in a matter of hours and take it over before anyone could possible stop you? (Or even know what's happening). End result would be the same.

ME is my favourite ever series in gaming, but it is more full of holes than swiss cheese, and none of the games works together at all. Best to just treat each one individually if you can and appreciate them for what they are. the only thing that does carry through well across all three is the character development, which is what made the series great for me - Garrus, Mordin, Thane, even Liara (who I hated in game 1).

semiconscious

Gold Member
This is also a totally unique game overall. There just arent any hard sci fi massive open world single player RPGs. The closest I've played to this is Precursors, an obscure Russian sci fi RPG.

well, you're right about that: mass effect is a number of things. but 'hard sci-fi' isn't one of'm. me is no 'harder' than star trek ever was :) ...

J_Viper

If I liked the prologue, will I dig the rest of the game? Because I actually enjoyed it.

I went into this expecting an RE6 level disaster, but I'm having a good time so far.

Lt-47

Because look how far away the Reapers are! They are so far away from the galaxy that even at speeds far faster than any FLT engine we know of in universe it will be lifetimes before they get here! That's why they had the backdoor, and the repeated attempts to activate it (Rachnii, Geth, Collectors).

the idea that after everything we go through in Me1 and Me2, they could turn up in a matter of months, is just totally out of sync with everything we learn.

Why do you think they showed you that shot with an epic music at the end of ME 2 then ? Why does Shepard want to stop the Reapers fleet when he has already done that ? None of these thing made sense even before ME3/Arrival

They are that far away only because it looks cool to see the entire galaxy and not much more.

Ascenion

Having a middle part to the story that sets up personal investment is far from a waste of time.

You might not like 2, but you're wrong in your assessment. It's an essential part of the trilogy.

You misunderstand. I love ME2, I'm just calling it out for it's irrelevant plot, that had to be forced to work. The character interactions have little to do with that since you can do both. I'm saying I see little value in a sequel that exists solely for the character interactions. Which is what ME2 is.

Um, you learn a lot about the reapers?

We learnt what happened to the Protheans. We learnt that the reapers are actually made from the races they harvest.

I agree in the context of a trilogy it doesn't work - but that's because each game was linked tenuously to the others because (despite what Bioware were saying) - they never had it planned out as a trilogy.

And Arrival doesn't work at all, on any level. It's a dumb expansion that makes no sense. Sovereign corrupted the Rachnii over a thousand years ago to try and get to the citedal because the Protheans had disrupted the backdoor mechanism. If there was a mass relay just sitting waiting in Baterrian space why would he do that? Drop the reaper fleet in, immediately fly to the citedal, shut down the relay network. could be done in a matter of hours and would be totally unstoppable.

ME1 and Me2 both clearly set up the fact that without the citedal, the reapers cannot get to our galaxy anytime soon. It's Arrival and Me3 that bugger that up.

(And Arrival need not exist at all - remove it from the game and *nothing* changes, at all).

You already knew what happened to the protheans, Vigil told you on Ilos. Them being Collector's is irrelevant to the overarching plot. Knowing how reapers are built? Not really you know how Soverign class reapers are built which is the only type you've ever seen. You still know nothing.

Why would soverign do what he did? Element of surprise. Look at how easily someone figured out his relay plan and blew it up delaying them further. That's all it was. He knew the reapers would return eventually all Shepard does is delay the inevitable. Soverign and Harbinger want quick and painless. Arrival works fine in context of the bungled ME2. Because how else can they get here now, if the human reaper even was the plan, which is not mentioned I think.

Sky87

Anyone else notice that certain codex entries are nowhere to be found? I picked up Element Zero and Lithium, but there is no entry on them in the Codex, even though it told me that the Codex updated when looting it.

Some other datapads i examined on Eos also don't show up in the Codex, even though it got listed as added on the left of the screen.

X-Frame

Does anyone know how much extra inventory the Trade Capacity II upgrade gives you?

I know the first one bumps the inventory slots from 50 to 65 (wow, seriously?) so I guess the 2nd would give about 80+. I was hoping for 100.

Zesh

Does anyone know how much extra inventory the Trade Capacity II upgrade gives you?

I know the first one bumps the inventory slots from 50 to 65 (wow, seriously?) so I guess the 2nd would give about 80+. I was hoping for 100.

Gets you to 80. Still worth it, I'd say.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So I've researched some remnant augmentation, but I can't see it in the development section to create it, like you would with a weapon or armor. Am i missing something?

Maledict

Um, the revelation that Reapers are actually made from species they harvested is fairly important for them and the trilogy I feel. It's not just "we make them in a factory", it reveals a huge part of them we didn't learn in the first game. And the discovery that the Collectors were Protheans altered and corrupted by the Reapers also adds backstory to them (and sets up the enemy types in ME3). The Reapers not only possess unbeatable spaceships, they also have the ability to corrupt and enslave races they defeat and turn them into unthinking weapons who work for them. That goes a lot further than anything we've seen previously with the dragons teeth (which were thought to be Geth anyway. It's all lore and backstory to the species which I enjoyed and was interested to find out.

ME2 wasn't bungled, ME3 and the entire concept of the game having the reapers fighting us all from the start was the bungle. They had to *significantly* downgrade the power of the reapers to make it work, and it reduced them from an unstoppable force of god to a really, really strong enemy.

Re element of surprise - what do you think anyone could have done if the Reaper fleet just appeared in Batarian space, flew to the citedal, and shut down the relay network? Absolutely nothing at all - they would be totally unstoppable. They had the element of surprise had they just used that relay. Heck, it's more a surprise than a hundred year war involving the Rachnii slowly conquering the galaxy and the citedal, or the Geth doing the same!

Zesh

So I've researched some remnant augmentation, but I can't see it in the development section to create it, like you would with a weapon or armor. Am i missing something?

You don't need to develop it. Researching it gives you one copy, and it allows you to find additional ones as drops.

how do i use mod slot extension?

It's an augmentation, so you have to apply it when crafting a weapon.

Zakalwe

Banned
You misunderstand. I love ME2, I'm just calling it out for it's irrelevant plot, that had to be forced to work. The character interactions have little to do with that since you can do both. I'm saying I see little value in a sequel that exists solely for the character interactions. Which is what ME2 is.

No I'm not.The personal story of 2 enhances the overall plot. It ups your investment. Without it, the overall plot would lack impact.

Remember, this is not just a novel. This is a game where player investment, choice, experience is what makes the jouncy and destination meaningful. You absolutely cannot separate ME2 from the trilogy and not have it lessen the overall experience greatly.

Technically, yes, you might be able to discern the major plot points without looking at 2, but there's much more to these experiences than that.

haikira

I remember talk about the PS4Pro edition getting an additional 1080p mode with improved graphics, as well as the 1800c resolution. Don't see any option for it in the menus though.

it's mentioned briefly in digital foundry's performance analysis from last week, but they hadn't got to test it yet.

Anyone know if it's enabled by setting system resolution to 1080p, and if so, anyone know if it brings improved performance with it?

Maledict

No I'm not.The personal story of 2 enhances the overall plot. It ups your investment. Without it, the overall plot would lack impact.

Remember, this is not just a novel. This is a game where player investment, choice, experience is what makes the jouncy and destination meaningful. You absolutely cannot separate ME2 from the trilogy and not have it lessen the overall experience greatly.

Technically, yes, you might be able to discern the major plot points without looking at 2, but there's much more to these experiences than that.

Without Me2, that scene on the citedal in Me3 shooting means so little. Similarly, Liara makes no sense at all without Shadowbroker. You lose essential characters like Mordin and Thane. You basically abandon some of the series most important strong points - the character relationships you build across all three games. Having a character driven second game is good for the overall trilogy - it helps it stand on it's own, and it makes the pay-off at the end so much more. Outside of Wrex it's not like the characters in Me1 were setting the world on fire...

(N.B comments about ME2 characters do not apply to Jacob!).

Top Bottom