• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Tovarisc

Scott Ryder looks hotter than the sun in the Heleus Defender armour. Dat booty.
lol, a small benefit of the switch back to ME1 style, tighter fitting armour. Sara looks damn good in it too.

Lets be honest here, Pathfinder Armor is best fashion choice.
masseffectandromeda_2usu3z.png
masseffectandromedasutvuch.jpg
Come at me! :D

Even the Geth or Collectors, while still having human proportions, were just so much cooler than anything in this game. There's just a lack of imagination here.

Why they are cooler? Geth, especially Legion, I get, but Collectors? Eh.

So I unlocked the Hesh shotgun in mp last night,. WTF is the point of this gun? It does so little damage, on bronze it was still taking a full clip to take stuff down. I dont understand it at all. I also unlocked the Soned rifle but havent tried it yet, does anyone know if it is any good?

The loyalty missions have been a highlight so far. Don't care for Liam as a character, but his was pretty great (and funny). The
star wars reference was a nice touch and the head dude trying to reestablish comms with the menacing music cutting in and out was perfect.

DeaDPo0L84

Anyone else using the Valkyrie assault rifle? At first I was put off by the two round burst but with a stability mod this thing is awesome.

DeaDPo0L84

Do not bother researching N7 armor. It will obviously be attractive, but eventually you unlock a Nexus perk for vendors who will sell more “special gear,” and guess what? A full N7 set is part of the product line. I wasted probably 1,200 Milky Way research credits on this.

But what level are they at the shop? Crafting goes up to 10 different sets with progressively higher bonuses plus you cant put augs in purchased gear.

TLS Lex

I'm hoping someone here can help with this, (Havarl spoilers) -
there's this remnant area to the north (called Remnant Abyss) - I went through it before Havarl's story took me there then went back after climbing Mithrava, but there are two blocked off areas in blue within and seemingly no way to go through them.
Anyone know what that's about?

edgefusion

But what level are they at the shop? Crafting goes up to 10 different sets with progressively higher bonuses plus you cant put augs in purchased gear.

I may be wrong but I believe they're only available for purchase at vendors once they're researched? At any rate the aug slots and ability to add mods during the craft process make the researched variants objectively better.

Swiggins

You know the further I get into this game, the more I like it. The beginning was bad...really bad, but I'm really starting to like a lot of the characters and the writing is getting better.

I also love how Ryder actually has a bit of depth in the way he can respond to a lot of conversations...I've been playing him as an emotional wisecracking sarcastic fuck-boi and I've been having a grand old time.

Anyone else using the Valkyrie assault rifle? At first I was put off by the two round burst but with a stability mod this thing is awesome.

I just researched it and it puts every other AR to shame. The damage it pumps out at even long range is amazing, almost makes the sniper rifle irrelevant.

nOoblet16

I may be wrong but I believe they're only available for purchase at vendors once they're researched? At any rate the aug slots and ability to add mods during the craft process make the researched variants objectively better.

No you don't need to research. I bought the N7 and Maverick armour without researching them.

Swiggins

They had that weird insect thing going man. Playing them in multiplayer was fun too. Kett by contrast are just ... lumpy humans.

I agree with this, there was something distinctly otherworldly about the Geth and even the Collectors that The Kett just do not have.

Also, The Archon is the stupidest looking villain I've seen in ages.

TheChaos

Squadmates are 100% useless in this game on Insanity. It's way more effort to revive them because the got rid of items that do it automatically.

Like, it makes the game way harder than it needs to be. At least in the OT you had the power wheels so that you could combo chain. Here you squadmates can't combo worth shit.

It's just like Inquisition. Can the Frostbite engine not handle proper AI Tactics?

Swiggins

Because you can slot 3 or 4 of them into every weapon and up to 4 into any armor piece depending on how many altering augs you want and they are great. Damage Resistance and straight weapon damage.

Well shit, thanks for the tip. I'll be sure and do that.

BTW, does anybody have any tips for gathering resources? I'm looking for copper right now to try and build the N7 Piranha and I just cannot for the life of me find a planet with any on it.

IS planet scanning still the best way to gather resources, or is there another, better way that I just haven't discovered yet?

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

X-Frame

Small tip, buy a kinetic coil at every trip to the nexus. They only ever sell quantities of one but you want 20 of those.

You don't need to wait to return to keep buying them. Just buy one, then Save and Load from last Save and their stock is back. Or you can apparently walk away a certain distance and return and it'll be back too.

Rellik

I was looking forward to this so much.

But crap graphics, awful narrative, sub par sound design, sub prime dialogue and open world bloat has left me disappointed.

The franchise should have died with Shepherd.

Most of us are enjoying it, but the franchise should have died because you don't like it.

Okay.

Do not bother researching N7 armor. It will obviously be attractive, but eventually you unlock a Nexus perk for vendors who will sell more “special gear,” and guess what? A full N7 set is part of the product line. I wasted probably 1,200 Milky Way research credits on this.
Goddamn it. I unlocked that perk, but also...was sick of never engaging with the crafting system, so I researched a level 10 N7 chest and some arms up to level 5 or 6. Here's hoping I can get a surplus of milky way research without just going to my AVP station on the Tempest every so often (I wish these rewards were claimable via the app).

Tovarisc

It's just like Inquisition. Can the Frostbite engine not handle proper AI Tactics?

More issue of BioWare not having talent to create proper AI for allies nor hostiles. AI has been barely acceptable in all of their games.

Edit: Take Drack and Vetra, spec them for survivability and done

Do not bother researching N7 armor. It will obviously be attractive, but eventually you unlock a Nexus perk for vendors who will sell more ”special gear," and guess what? A full N7 set is part of the product line. I wasted probably 1,200 Milky Way research credits on this.

Researched and crafted armor is better than vendor stuff.

Squadmates are 100% useless in this game on Insanity. It's way more effort to revive them because the got ride of items that do it automatically.

Like, it make the game way harder than it needs to be. At least in the OT you had the power wheels so that you could combo chain. Here you squadmates can't combo worth shit.

To be fair Mass 2 and 3 had the same issue on insanity. I was regularly cursing squad mates for standing up behind cover and just soaking up bullets until they died. The dumbass AI just couldn't work out when cover was required and when shields were or weren't recharged. Even worse in those games was the "one button does everything" bullshit. Run over to team mate and press A to revive, but instead Shepard just sits in cover. Press A again hoping to revive and Shepard vaults over the cover into insanity-powered gunfire. Yay...

I basically learned that Insanity isn't something these games are even remotely designed around. All they do is crank up the damage enemies deal, and the damage they can absorb, and do nothing to tweak your squad mate AI to deal with it. If you want to enjoy the game, then don't play on this mode.

Squadmates are 100% useless in this game on Insanity. It's way more effort to revive them because the got rid of items that do it automatically.

Like, it makes the game way harder than it needs to be. At least in the OT you had the power wheels so that you could combo chain. Here you squadmates can't combo worth shit.

Frostbite can handle it fine, but that probably got focus tested out of the game. People are creatures of habit, and the more Bioware has made Mass Effect look and play like a TPS, the more people have treated it as such.

I don't completely hate the writing. It think it feels generally BioWare style and standard, and it has some really sweet emotional beats.

But I won't lie: as a whole this is absolutely the first of the four mainline Mass Effect games where I routinely feel actively bored and disinterested in character exchanges (mainly NPCs that aren't your squad), narrative exposition, and other thematic beats to the point of forcing myself through them.
When Aya opened up I really couldn't have given less of a shit. Try as I might I just don't care about the Angara. They're fine, whatever, but I don't care. I find them dull and uninteresting, and I don't really care about their homeworld. It's all so haphazardly presented and unceremonious and tonally unfocused that I mentally have nothing to latch on. I just don't care, at all

And tonally unfocused is how I'd define this game. There's a lot of I'm loving about it, but I'd easily rank it as the most tonally dissonant and thematically unfocused game in the entire series. Like a hundred writers throwing in ideas under no coherent vision. It's just stuff.

The Angara are so one note and boring. They are all noble and stuffy. What was great in the first trilogy was how many different personalities you would find even within the same race. That isn't the case (so far as I've played) with the Angara. I couldn't tell you the name of a single Angara except for Jaal. I mentally check out every time I have to listen to some kind of noble sacrifice spiel from the random Angara you can talk to.

Been playing a lot of ME2 recently and the difference is night and day. Virtually every character you come in contact in ME2, major and minor, is colorful and interesting (except Jacob).

TI82

Banned
I was looking forward to this so much.

But crap graphics, awful narrative, sub par sound design, sub prime dialogue and open world bloat has left me disappointed.

The franchise should have died with Shepherd.

It basically did die, it's only a handful of fans in here pushing this narrative of an enjoyable game with minimal bugs being overblown. It's not as bad as the trial thread where the same type of fans were attacking us for criticising the game (turns out our fears were correct) but still strange.

Fortunately or unfortunately our first sales reports are showing that people aren't digging the game, selling less than Mass Effect 3 in the UK. Let's hope the other regions follow the same path so EA gets the message and can fix this series. I wonder if it will continue this less than stellar storyline or wipe it away as "just a dream" if it does continue though.

And don't let the fans get you down :)

DeaDPo0L84

I just researched it and it puts every other AR to shame. The damage it pumps out at even long range is amazing, almost makes the sniper rifle irrelevant.

Its definitely a preference due to how it shoots but it feels so good once you get it down. I retired my PAW remnant rifle and the Revenant, havent looked back since.

It basically did die, it's only a handful of fans in here pushing this narrative of an enjoyable game with minimal bugs being overblown. It's not as bad as the trial thread where the same type of fans were attacking us for criticising the game (turns out our fears were correct) but still strange.

Fortunately or unfortunately our first sales reports are showing that people aren't digging the game, selling less than Mass Effect 3 in the UK. Let's hope the other regions follow the same path so EA gets the message and can fix this series. I wonder if it will continue this less than stellar storyline or wipe it away as "just a dream" if it does continue though.

People in glass houses...

nOoblet16

The Angara are so one note and boring. They are all noble and stuffy. What was great in the first trilogy was how many different personalities you would find even within the same race. That isn't the case (so far as I've played) with the Angara. I couldn't tell you the name of a single Angara except for Jaal. I mentally check out every time I have to listen to some kind of noble sacrifice spiel from the random Angara you can talk to.

Been playing a lot of ME2 recently and the difference is night and day. Virtually every character you come in contact in ME2, major and minor, is colorful and interesting (except Jacob).

Eh?
If that were true you wouldn't have the Roekaar. .

Tovarisc

Is this post definition of "Stop liking what I don't like and you are in wrong for liking it"?

Also about MEA sales. BW employee in that sales thread said not-so-subtly that physical sales don't reflect well how MEA is selling.

I'm learning this the hard way. The bosses so far are nothing but bullet sponges on Insanity. I did the boss with the floating orb and it took me a good 15 minutes to kill it because of how much damn HP it had. And the no manual saving on checkpoints sure don't help.

It's been a while but I don't remember the original Trilogy being this bad about it.

It was. Insanity in ME games has always been about spongebob.

TheChaos

I basically learned that Insanity isn't something these games are even remotely designed around. All they do is crank up the damage enemies deal, and the damage they can absorb, and do nothing to tweak your squad mate AI to deal with it. If you want to enjoy the game, then don't play on this mode.
I'm learning this the hard way. The bosses so far are nothing but bullet sponges on Insanity. I did the boss with the floating orb and it took me a good 15 minutes to kill it because of how much damn HP it had. And the no manual saving on checkpoints sure don't help.

It's been a while but I don't remember the original Trilogy being this bad about it.

I remember the only time I turned down the difficulty in the trilogy was Kailo Leng because that fight annoyed the shit out of me.
ME1 combat was trash altogether though.

I hope this game sells great so that EA does more stuff with the fantastic MP. More maps/enemies, and classes would be a great start. Eventually release mp only mass effect games.

Pathfinder is nice, but Heleus is sculpted.

Truly, his is a butt that won't quit.

So I am exploring Kadara, only to happen upon the
Collective Base
, then I get to the lower part where there is a
"mysterious button" you can press for the Salarian repairman's dialogue telling you to stop it.
. I mean, how can you not
keep pressing the button
despite what he says, lol.

TI82

Banned
Is this post definition of "Stop liking what I don't like and you are in wrong for liking it"?

Also about MEA sales. BW employee in that sales thread said not-so-subtly that physical sales don't reflect well how MEA is selling.

Nope, just concurring with another user. Specifically because another person attacked him which is usually how these marginalized games go when someone says how it looks poor to them.

And the standard digital sales is 20% of physical, nothing about Mass effect suggests it would be any different. No special sales or promotions, just seems like a obfuscation. Believe what you will however, seems you already made your mind up :)

Truly, his is a butt that won't quit.

So I am exploring Kadara, only to happen upon the
Collective Base
, then I get to the lower part where there is a
"mysterious button" you can press for the Salarian repairman's dialogue telling you to stop it.
. I mean, how can you not
keep pressing the button
despite what he says, lol.
That was gold
times.

Tovarisc

Nope, just concurring with another user. Specifically because another person attacked him which is usually how these marginalized games go when someone says how it looks poor to them.

And the standard digital sales is 20% of physical, nothing about Mass effect suggests it would be any different. No special sales or promotions, just seems like a obfuscation. Believe what you will however, seems you already made your mind up :)

tbh I don't really give a fuck about how MEA is selling. What I have made my mind up on is that I liked and enjoyed MEA, so I have that going for me.

Also getting attacked for calling game X being Y goes even when you dare to say that some mega loved and praised game isn't really that good as praising makes it sound. Suddenly no defenders tho because you are "against" majority.

Why they are cooler? Geth, especially Legion, I get, but Collectors? Eh.
Hollowed out robot slave people. It was fun. I still fondly remember Mordins lead up to Gilbert and Sullivan where he dsicribed them missing so many cultural and biological components. What a better cast, characters, and writing.

Ugh, two times in two hours I've had saves that won't load. In the Nomad both times.

Its already been reported that saves from inside the nomad does not load. To make those load, you have to completely restart the game, and load it from the main menu, thats the only way to get them to load.

Ok, what's going on? My game keeps crashing everytime I walk onto the Nexus. I just restarted my PS4 and sent 2 error reports.

Don't know if it matters but I'm trying to complete the Splender side mission.

Starting it up again.

TI82

Banned
tbh I don't really give a fuck about how MEA is selling. What I have made my mind up on is that I liked and enjoyed MEA, so I have that going for me.

Clearly you do, as you felt compelled to respond on it with reference to a thread you remembered. Anyways, done chatting with you if you are going to be so abrasive. Enjoy the game double to make up for how much I despised it :)

Top Bottom