• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Current status:

21 hours, 22 minutes played.
Level 24 Ryder
34% Completion

If you're a fan of this series and you can weather the first couple hours, I think you're going to love this game.

I need to be in Andromeda Meow.

I love the vibe in here currently, hopefully but grounded - feels like home.

Ushay

Current status:

Level 24 Ryder
34% Completion

If you're a fan of this series and you can weather the first couple hours, I think you're going to love this game.

Yup I can get behind this. The game felt so damn good after the initial sequences. Even those were cool, a nice change from the last 3 games.

Current status:

Level 24 Ryder
34% Completion

Great to hear. And I've totally enjoyed the first trial stuff.

Got the day cleared and will be there at 8am for the VPN unlock. Hyped.

It makes no sense for me to buy this on launch with a Switch and Zelda coming Wednesday right? I should really wait awhile and maybe even potentially get it on sale. Right?

:(

Mifec

I'm just going to use the default guy. He looks alright.

There was a pic of him with browner hair and a not really bad looking beard that was great. Too bad you can't customize them for some dumb reason. Like you'd have to recreate him to be able to customize.

It makes no sense for me to buy this on launch with a Switch and Zelda coming Wednesday right? I should really wait awhile and maybe even potentially get it on sale. Right?

Yes

Bullshit. Reddit had some really great female ones from preset 5 and 9.

Its almost impossible, but thanks to face code sharing via an official website. You should be able to find something that suits your needs.

Yeah, I made a reasonably good looking white FemRyder during the trial period. Forgot to screenshot it though and my 10 hours is up oops!

---
Also one tip on eye color for the Character Creator...

Choose a darker color (same/similar hue) for the outer eye color and a lighter one for the inner eye color. It creates a bit more illusion of depth, rather than just looking like Ryder's irises are painted on.

Ascenion

I don't think there's anything to confirm that it is the main theme, unless it's specifically stated in the soundtrack that it is. It's just what merely plays during the opening bit.

"A better beginning" seems to fit more as the main theme (if there is even one)

Personally those two tracks are my favourite of the whole soundtrack, and while I haven't heard everything else I might agree that for the most part it's not crazy great.

That's super phoned in though. It's not Mass Effect, not to me. It's simply standard film fare. Giacchino is the standard for carrying on a series musical identity while keeping it original. His work on Rogue One was amazing. Trevor Morris in Dragon Age still threw call backs to Zur, making it a natural evolution. As it stands Paesano did the job, just not a good one.

Yeah I've been listening to the OST and it's very forgettable overall. Did they just not contact Hulick & Wall because they wanted a clean slate? The OSTs were always one of the best aspects of the original trilogy and Paesano seems to be a pretty mediocre composer.

Paesano's biggest credit is Maze Runner. I don't particularly like him having recently looked him up. I can't imagine listening to Maze Runner and saying hey I want Mass Effect to sound like that. Wall said in an AMA he wasn't doing it but not why, as far as I know Hulick has said nothing. If there is an Andromeda sequel they'd best get my boy Sam Hulick back.

Santiako

I will my usual thing - default male lead on hard for first playthrough and default female lead on insanity for second.

Thursday can't come soon enough.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Question: is this one of the games that will downsample? Or any other features for 1080p sets? (PS4 Pro)

I tried playing the trial, and while I didn't find the animations as obnoxious as we've seen in the gif thread, I still just couldn't stand playing this game anymore. I made a female ryder who I thought looked pretty good to be honest, and didn't animate half bad, but it wasn't enough to save this game for me.

I tried, and tried to give it a shot, but the writing felt like a 12 year old did it, and after the train wreck that was Mass Effect 3, they needed to try a lot harder than this.

Going back to ME1, that game felt like pure science fiction compared to the simple minded crap they throw at you in the early parts of this game. It's like they want me to not use my brain, and that's just something I'm not good at. Mass Effect 1 and 2 drew me in with their intrigue. They had action, especially 2, but I feel like those games get going in a much more exciting way, with interesting dialogue. This...looked pretty sometimes, especially with my graphics card, but nope, but there is no substance there.

Jaraghan

The enemies don't fuck around in the multiplayer huh. I thought Bronze would be easy going, but it is a hell of a challenge to make it to the final wave.

The only thing that I've heard is that animations look much better on an Asian female Ryder.

Preset 5 female Ryder animations look pretty good,too.

pi0PYN3.jpg

Silvard

I'm in this exact same situation. Waiting on reviews to decide what I do, but unless something unexpected happens I'm just going to play both at the start and keep playing the one which grabs me the most, then come back to the other when I'm 1) fatigued or 2) done.

Harlequin

The choice is lacking IMO. No one that is as hot as Kaidan.

Yeah. The list of bangable males is far shorter than the list of bangable females in this game. (And when you narrow it down to individual orientations, both straight women and gay men get the least romance/fling options according to what we know ATM. Two less than straight men.)

kubus

I am sooooo pumped to play a good sci-fi RPG and I loved the first two Mass Effect so much I must've completed them over 4 times each. ME3 was such a letdown to me so I need Andromeda to be good.....

Please be good. If the (user) reviews are favorable I might just order a PS4 just for this game.

The choice is lacking IMO. No one that is as hot as Kaidan.
Kaidan was so hot. I banged him every playthrough. Haven't looked at the options in ME:A yet but that's disappointing to hear :(

ruimound

Any strong recommendations for controller vs. keyboard? I don't really have a dog in the whole KB+M shooter thing, just wondering which seems more comfortable for this game. I'll be playing it on my PC with access to either a mechanical keyboard or a wired 360 controller.

A-V-B

Any strong recommendations for controller vs. keyboard? I don't really have a dog in the whole KB+M shooter thing, just wondering which seems more comfortable for this game. I'll be playing it on my PC with access to either a mechanical keyboard or a wired 360 controller.

I think you have a few extra controls if you go keyboard

past that it's down to preference

Harlequin

I've heard from KB+M players that the Nomad is really difficult to control that way whereas I've had no problems controlling it using a conroller so I guess I'd recommend using a controller based on that.

Renekton

I'm in this exact same situation. Waiting on reviews to decide what I do, but unless something unexpected happens I'm just going to play both at the start and keep playing the one which grabs me the most, then come back to the other when I'm 1) fatigued or 2) done.
Honestly ignore MEA completely and immerse in Hyrule first. By the time you're done, MEA will have more patches in.

A-V-B

Honestly ignore MEA completely and immerse in Hyrule first. By the time you're done, MEA will have more patches in.

Also: Nier, Nioh, Persona 5, Horizon... lots of big games to keep you occupied while ME:A gets some refinement.

Here's mine if you're interested:

Preset 1
Brow: 3, 20
Cheek: 16, 7, 6
Chin: 12, 5, 2, 5
Eye: 7, 4, 14
Lip: 6
Mouth: 11, 4, 7
Nose: 9, 7, 5, 17

There are more sliders in this thread.

Ryder Sliding should be a sport. Can you make the most awesome Ryder from one of these preests?!

sangreal

Did I miss something in the trial, or did they make scanning even more unbearable than the past games? Is there some way to disable the stupid cutscene as you move between planets?

kubus

Wait, is it true that straight female Ryder only has these romance options:
Liam and Suvi
?

edit: wait,
Suvi
is female so this list has to be whack. Anyone got a complete list of possible female romance options?

Top Bottom