• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Grisby

How many are going default vs custom? I've always run default, but tinkering...
Always custom. I know default has better animations, etc. but I just can;t help but feel like I'm playing as kind of a 'fake' so to speak. Makes the story more personal when I create a hideous creation of god's forsaken loins.
FemRyder's voice just doesn't fit my idea of a pathfinder. Gonna start over with a custom dude, hopefully he fits the mold.
Pretty sure custom male Ryder is Nolan North. Has to be.
Can anyone tell me how this runs on the base ps4? Any bad frame rates or tearing?
It's not super great. Not unplayable though. Bout 5 hours in and got to the second or so major area which so far runs better than the first two.

I guess I'm saying it's fine but I wish it was better.

Always custom. I know default has better animations, etc. but I just can;t help but feel like I'm playing as kind of a 'fake' so to speak. Makes the story more personal when I create a hideous creation of god's forsaken loins.

Pretty sure custom male Ryder is Nolan North. Has to be.

It's not super great. Not unplayable though. Bout 5 hours in and got to the second or so major area which so far runs better than the first two.

I guess I'm saying it's fine but I wish it was better.
I'm playing default male Ryder, sounds exactly like Nolan North. (Although I know it's not)

LOLCats

Banned
Just got home from work and started playing...

And god damn it.

The eye model and animation departments are all fired they're all fucking fired.

witness

Really enjoying it so far. Feels like a combination of ME1 and DAI but with really fantastic combat. I like the art style, it's different and more stylized than the trilogy (cartoonish). I just met Peebee who seems like someone that I'll enjoy but I cannot figure out the goddamn glyph puzzle after that so I just stopped there for the night.

Have been lucky and had no glitches and I'm not noticing big frame rate issues on the Pro (or crazy loud fans like it can get with Horizon) like this thread was making me terrified of earlier. Game actually looks really fantastic supersampled on my 1080p. Ended up making a custom BroRyder with the help of my wife that looks really good for my first playthrough.

Anybody else unable to send out strike teams?

I was able to send a couple earlier, but now every time I try I get a network error message.

I'm still able to play mp. Although, I finished one of the apex missions just now but no rewards are showing up at the terminal on the nexus.

23 hours of game play in, and honestly loving the game. I'm going to spend so much time on it I can tell.

Playing as a Biotic is seriously awesome, especially when you pull someone throw them in the air, and then charge at them while they are in the air.

I understand some people not being satisfied, but I really think this is a good game, despite some minor animation quirks (in my opinion the previous 3 were just as quirky) and will enjoy it regardless of what anyone else thinks of it. Graphics on my PC look good, but then again, I never played any of the other Mass Effect games for their graphical beauty.

Man Adept is kinda broken in SP. Gain full shield on low health and gain health on every tech power used. With the mod that lowers your health by 50% and improves shields as much you're just regenerating shields all over.

Energy Drain also becomes really good as soon as you can use it to detonate.

Did about all I could on Voeld even beat 2 bosses
Architect wurm thingy and an ancient fiend that had skulls in his healthbar
. Such a great planet, just driving on the ice with the Nomad is a ton of fun and so much story to it.

Lol at the manic
AI
, really put me on the spot on what to do with her.

Doran902

Going into this game on pc with an open mind. So far the environments and gameplay are great and the story is interesting but I have had some bad technical issues with character models / animations and a couple of the voice actors are so painfully bad that you wonder if they were having budget issues.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
If some of your biotics get strong enough you start making things around you levitate:

https://i.gyazo.com/cf69b80d037612c706a12f80ad01bcf4.mp4

I think that might look like Annihilate, tbh.

Or whatever biotic power creates that slow damage aoe field. Whatever it is, It is pretty cool, though.

Also, the inventory increase for the 'perks' system kinda sucks.....going from 50 to 65 wasn't worth my first point, lol. Guess I really need to start deconstructing stuff.

A bit further in the game. Still enjoying my time with it overall. But I won't disagree with the metacritic entirely, though I do think it deserves low 80s. I think people need to wrap their heads around a game being 70 and above still being enjoyable.

Just got on the Tempest, thoughts so far is that it definitely lacks a lot of the charm of the trilogy but I'm still enjoying it. You can tell it's by a different team but it seems like a pretty good first shot.

Wow, if I had believed Gaf's hivemind, I would've passed on a great game. Been having a lot of fun with it all day. Multiplayer is also fantastic.
I can see the criticism, but it was blown way out of proportion.

Liam seems worse than Jacob. Just the generic nice guy. I romanced him, reeeeally lame leadup and scene. The part where he showed me
his classic car
was pretty cool though.

Still enjoying my time in the game. The clear low effort in parts is really noticeable though. I'd say the 7/10 reviews are spot on, actually.

Kard8p3

Alright GAF be honest with me..is the game worth full price? I really wanted this game to be good..but everything seems to point to it not :(

LightInfa

Alright GAF be honest with me..is the game worth full price? I really wanted this game to be good..but everything seems to point to it not :(

Absolutely - it's not some mind bending/blowing experience but it's some good solid RPG comfort food - fun combat, good loot, fantastic environments to explore.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. That's not to say there weren't some irksome design decisions made, but this very much feels like a Mass Effect game.

ironcreed

Banned
23 hours of game play in, and honestly loving the game. I'm going to spend so much time on it I can tell.

Playing as a Biotic is seriously awesome, especially when you pull someone throw them in the air, and then charge at them while they are in the air.

I understand some people not being satisfied, but I really think this is a good game, despite some minor animation quirks (in my opinion the previous 3 were just as quirky) and will enjoy it regardless of what anyone else thinks of it. Graphics on my PC look good, but then again, I never played any of the other Mass Effect games for their graphical beauty.

I hear you. Even as much as I loved Horizon, I can tell that I will be spending more time playing this, just in the same way I went back to the trilogy to replay them. It is not as pretty or polished for sure, but it's still Mass Effect and it has it's hooks in me.

UraMallas

I just played for 7 hours after work and am absolutely having a blast. I don't remember the last time I played a game where I had to stop myself so I could go to bed but this did it.

That's good. How's the dialogue for you?
It's been mostly ok. It's not as strong as it was in the original trilogy, I few lines were definitely bad, but it's nothing that makes me roll my eyes all the time. I'm enjoying it. The absence of a paragon/renegade range in the dialogue wheel is very much welcome as well, it feels more natural and most of the time the game provides all four different reactions to what's happening.

As far as characters go, I was surprised by how PB is actually not astonishingly annoying? I kinda like her. Liam, on the other hand, pretty boring, most of the time I forget he's there. Just met Jaal, so let's see how this goes.

Anyone playing this on base ps4?

How is it?

It's choppy at times and it's pretty noticeable. The weird thing is, the dips are kinda random. Sometimes when I'm jogging around some spot it's running smooth, but when I go back there later I can feel the framerates dropping to mid 20s. Returning to game from menu seems giving an impact to framerates as well for a brief moment. But most of the time it's pretty stable and I never notice a drop during combat so far.

If you have the money to spend and don't mind the valid criticisms, sure, but waiting for the first sale and more patches wouldn't be bad idea either.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's choppy at times and it's pretty noticeable. The weird thing is, the dips are kinda random. Sometimes when I'm jogging around some spot it's running smooth, but when I go back there later I can feel the framerates dropping to mid 20s. Returning to game from menu seems giving an impact to framerates as well for a brief moment. But most of the time it's pretty stable and I never notice a drop during combat so far.

Well so long as it doesn't get to ME1 level, I'm good, lol.

Briarios

After having terrible loot box luck my whole life, including ME3 ... I feel like I used up all my luck in a single pack tonight lol

Single player locked up on me for some reason, and I was asked to play some multiplayer -- so, when I joined the game, I was informed I should have some bonus chests, including a loyalty chest from ME3.

I wasn't sure what I saw when I opened it, because I wasn't clear on rarities right away - but from that single chest I got two ultra Rare characters and a rare! Never again, I tell you ... I'll get garbage from now on -- but I'm so excited to have those to play with! I got the human kineticist, the Salarian operator, and the Turian havoc trooper.

Anyway, we were getting slaughtered at round 5 with 2 people, but it was still a lot of fun.

Really dumb question, but how do I take screenshots on PC?

Geforce Experience/Shadowplay doesn't seem to work in the game and print screen makes it really low resolution. :/

Assuming you meet the minimum system requirements, Ansel should work. The shortcut is Alt-F2 if I recall correctly.

Corpekata

Banned
Took me way to long to realize you can deconstruct stuff.

I was like "Why do I need to much Kett Alloy to make this shit, they never drop it!"

Granted, I don't have a lot of crap to deconstruct yet, but at least it's a start.

Grisby

I'm playing default male Ryder, sounds exactly like Nolan North. (Although I know it's not)
I sweat to god it is. Or the VA is like, his half-brother clone guy.
Anyone playing this on base ps4?

How is it?
So-so.
WHAT THE FUCK? WHERE THE FUCK IS MY SOOTHING VOICE OVER FOR CODEX ENTRIES? FUCK YOU BIOWARE!
I know! Everything ruined.
Still playing with cc and debating vs default 2 hours later, lol.
Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith my friend.

Top Bottom