• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Performance Thread

Calmine

I haven't got exact frame rates, but it's pretty smooth well over 60FPS, maybe with a few minor drops, at 3440x1440 on my i7 3770k, GTX 1070, 16GB. Haven't changed the graphic settings, it automatically set everything to Ultra.

The only downside for Ultrawide (21:9) folks is that dialogue cutscenes are 16:9.
Menus, gameplay all support 21:9 and the HUD etc scale perfectly, but it's really jarring and unfortunate that cutscenes are 16:9 as it does switch between frequently.

It's exactly like Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is, but that was fixed by a custom .exe so hopefully the same will happen here, hopefully.

JBwB

900p, pretty sure I was getting 60 fps until the freezes/hiccups occur.

You're putting unnecessary stress on your CPU at that resolution. Try fiddling with the resolution scale / Nvidia DSR if your monitor isn't able to reach 1080p.

Anyways thanks for replying :) I think I should be more than fine with my specs.

anddo0

Laptop
6820hk
1070 8GB
16GB ram

1440p High presets

Fraps
62-75fps during cutscenes
68-75fps during gameplay

No stuttering, framedrops aren't noticeable.

BraXzy

No idea what I'm doing wrong but the game isn't loading at all for me. It launches to a windowed black screen...

I haven't got exact frame rates, but it's pretty smooth well over 60FPS, maybe with a few minor drops, at 3440x1440 on my i7 3770k, GTX 1070, 16GB. Haven't changed the graphic settings, it automatically set everything to Ultra.

The only downside for Ultrawide (21:9) folks is that dialogue cutscenes are 16:9.
Menus, gameplay all support 21:9 and the HUD etc scale perfectly, but it's really jarring and unfortunate that cutscenes are 16:9 as it does switch between frequently.

It's exactly like Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is, but that was fixed by a custom .exe so hopefully the same will happen here, hopefully.

Aw yeah, sounds like my 1080 will handle thi... reads further...

Wait, you don't mean like every time you talk to someone do you?

No idea what I'm doing wrong but the game isn't loading at all for me. It launches to a windowed black screen...

according to bioware twitter account, disable the corsair utility engine if you have it may fix that. Also, wait for the game to fully download (100%) may fix that issue.

jambo

Not sure when I'll actually get this, but my main worry is my old CPU, and needing to run at 2560x1600.

Might just wait until I upgrade.

Calmine

Aw yeah, sounds like my 1080 will handle thi... reads further...

Wait, you don't mean like every time you talk to someone do you?

Yep, afraid so. Any ingame rendered cutscene and dialogue cutscenes.

The only times where it does stay in 21:9 is when you have free movement of your character. Some dialogue moments are still in 21:9 but only for optional character dialogues like random NPCs who just say one line or something.

TheRed

I'm actually surprisingly really enjoying this after reading all the negativity lately and being underwhelmed in videos. The graphics are super gorgeous too on PC. Been running it at 1080p 1.30 resolution scale and all highest settings with my GTX 1080 and i5 4670k.

It's mostly been a locked 60 fps except in fights with a lot happening I've seen drops. Gotta tweak a little more to see what'll give me a completely locked 60. Didn't try without VSYNC on.

Here's some screens of it.
33081728040_0cb8919160_o.png

33309060582_a360678afa_o.png

32650680053_7b2a5f677c_o.png

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Lifted from the EA Access thread:

i5 4670
16gb RAM
1080 GTX

Running everything at ultra at 1440p

Been playing a bit on PC, seems to freeze in prerendered cut scenes at times and I have to force close the game which is a pain in the hole.

FPS seems really random on the bridge of the Hyperion it dropped to mid 20s (during in game cut scenes) but in normal gameplay its in the 60-70 range, jumping to over 100 at times.

Yep, afraid so. Any ingame rendered cutscene and dialogue cutscenes.

The only times where it does stay in 21:9 is when you have free movement of your character. Some dialogue moments are still in 21:9 but only for optional character dialogues like random NPCs who just say one line or something.

That's just freaking ridiculous with all the dialogue that happens... If they have 21:9 functionality and if there is a way for them to fix this then we absolutely shouldn't have to wait or depend on modders to do it for them, for us. If you get what I'm saying. That is just ridiculous. It doesn't even seem like it's that hard for modders to fix so it should be even easier for the flipping team that made the game.

I'm actually surprisingly really enjoying this after reading all the negativity lately and being underwhelmed in videos. The graphics are super gorgeous too on PC. Been running it at 1080p 1.30 resolution scale and all highest settings with my GTX 1080 and i5 4670k.

It's mostly been a locked 60 fps except in fights with a lot happening I've seen drops. Gotta tweak a little more to see what'll give me a completely locked 60.

Well now my mind is bottled after reading some of your comments in other ME:A threads...

lol, I was beginning to be down on the game. I don't know what to think anymore. I need a drink.

It's mostly been a locked 60 fps except in fights with a lot happening I've seen drops. Gotta tweak a little more to see what'll give me a completely locked 60. Didn't try without VSYNC on.

Here's some screens of it.
33081728040_0cb8919160_o.png

33309060582_a360678afa_o.png

I recall reading your posts before. Glad to see you're enjoying it :)

Game's beautiful and feels fun to play to me.

TheRed

Well now my mind is bottled after reading some of your comments in other ME:A threads...

lol, I was beginning to be down on the game. I don't know what to think anymore. I need a drink.

I still haven't got past the beginning shooting mission and taking a break now. So it might get worse once it settles in to exploring and talking on the Nexus but so far even with all the pre release complaining of Sara Ryder I actually like her more than the videos I saw of male Ryder. Combat has a nice punchiness to it that I hope will just get better later on.
Not sure if the game will hold up the whole way through but right now at the start playing it, it feels like Mass Effect and I still like it.

Ultrawide space is best. Though I do hope there's a fix for the cutscenes to be 21:9 like Witcher 3 needed. They are almost all real time.

There was one cutscene where I dropped to 22-25fps for a tiny bit but for the most part cutscenes are running at 40+fps and gameplay is 45-60.

3440x1440
GTX 1080
i7-6700k
16GB RAM
Win 10

I still haven't got past the beginning shooting mission and taking a break now. So it might get worse once it settles in to exploring and talking on the Nexus but so far even with all the pre release complaining of Sara Ryder I actually like her more than the videos I saw of male Ryder. Combat has a nice punchiness to it that I hope will just get better later on.
Not sure if the game will hold up the whole way through but right now at the start playing it, it feels like Mass Effect and I still like it.

Awesome. Well, I guess there is still hope. I don't preorder games if I can help it and this time I can so I'm not going to. I also don't do subscription services either for moral reasons if I can help it. It's getting really hard for me not to just put a fiver down and try this out and then cancel afterwards... I know that would be the best way to see if I like the game. I'm just trying to stick to my guns here and it's killing me.

Thanks for the screens btw. I was literally just about to start begging for some.

It's crazy how we have so much material floating around that people cant stop posting more of that showcase the games flaws and yet not much at all that showcase how beautiful it can be like in your screenshots. Seriously, those are really great looking.

Ultrawide space is best. Though I do hope there's a fix for the cutscenes to be 21:9 like Witcher 3 needed. They are almost all real time.

There was one cutscene where I dropped to 22-25fps for a tiny bit but for the most part cutscenes are running at 40+fps and gameplay is 45-60.

Have you checked the resolution scale? I think Y2kev or someone said that it could be set higher than normal off the bat for some.

3440x1440
GTX 1080
i7-6700k
16GB RAM
Win 10

Wait a minute, something isn't right here. Am I missing something? Calmine has a 1070 and is getting more fps than you are with a 1080 at the same resolution?

This is scaring me because I have pretty much the same setup as you sept I have a 6600k.

EDIT: Have you checked the resolution scale?

Please specify what "resolution scale" settings you're using everyone. It's possible people getting crummy performance are actually supersampling without realizing it.

robotrock

Banned
i5-4690k default clock and GTX 970, 16gb RAM. Pleasantly surprised with the performance so far at 1080p on high settings.

Seems to be a good 60fps, with some minor drops not in the combat sections, but with the sections on the ship talking to people.

Also the combat feels fun

edit: sorry about this, played some more. it's definitely not a smooth 60fps across the board. It feels pretty good, but it's running around 50-60.

Wait a minute, something isn't right here. Am I missing something? Calmine has a 1070 and is getting more fps than you are with a 1080 at the same resolution?

This is scaring me because I have pretty much the same setup as you sept I have a 6600k.

EDIT: Have you checked the resolution scale?

I'll re-check all the settings and performance once the download is fully finished.

GavinUK86

Difference between High and Medium for me on a i7 2600k and a 970.

I also keep getting a bug where the CPU usage jumps to 90+%. Not sure what clears it but pausing, unpausing, spinning the camera, one or all of those eventually gets it back down to around 40% usage.

Also, does anyone know what the framebuffer bit means? It has a compressed 32bit or half16 64bit option.

Jameson

i5 4960K 4.0 GHZ
ASUS strix 970
16 gbs of DR3 1866 ram

High preset
1080p
70-80fps in medical bay
50-60fps on first planet
900p
locked 60 fps on first planet

1080p Ultra max all settings
30fps locked on first planet

Still goofing around with settings but this is what I tested so far.

TheRed

I recall reading your posts before. Glad to see you're enjoying it :)

Game's beautiful and feels fun to play to me.

Yeah glad I'm enjoying it too :D
I saw your impressions and was excited than literally have watched tons of other videos and read more because I was excited and my hype dropped a lot, saw so many flaws. Getting it in my hands changed my mind though because exploring is more fun when you're in control of it than watching other people do it, and it's the same with the combat. Sure animations deserve criticism but it's really not out of the way bad compared to the previous Mass Effects, just disappointed since hoped for better there.

This will be a pretty divisive game I think.

SliChillax

i7 5820k 4.3ghz, 16gb ram, GTX 980ti, playing on a 1440p gsync monitor.

Game feels very sluggish maxed out, what settings should I drop that don't have a big visual impact? Not using supersampling.

Yeah glad I'm enjoying it too :D
I saw your impressions and was excited than literally have watched tons of other videos and read more because I was excited and my hype dropped a lot, saw so many flaws. Getting it in my hands changed my mind though because exploring is more fun when you're in control of it than watching other people do it, and it's the same with the combat. Sure animations deserve criticism but it's really not out of the way bad compared to the previous Mass Effects, just disappointed since hoped for better there.

This will be a pretty divisive game I think.
Yea I think that's fair. :)

TheRed

First human face I've seen that doesn't look like complete anoos

Yeah thought so too but also thought some others looked pretty good in that intro area. Is it possible Ultra PC settings make eyes look slightly better? Because I was really put off by them in console footage earlier like the GB stream, but when playing I wasn't distracted by them as much as I expected. Or maybe I'm just crazy...or maybe once the game opens up they start looking worse than the intro? Some others I thought looked good.
33309069722_b5ed418140_o.png

33424475646_673eb431cb_o.png

33081732460_2710f38696_o.png

32621748224_f9d5c3c146_o.png

Hair is definitely still not good.

AMD 955
GTX 760
8GB RAM

1920X1080 Resolution scale = 1

Settings a mixture of medium and high, weird issue where the game is running at a really low framerate when I load it up, after about a minute it's go back to normal. Decided to lock the framerate to 30fps instead of it fluctuating between 30-40.

Wookieomg

Possible for my i5 2500k@3.4ghz, radeon hd 7970, and 16gb ddr3 ram to hit 1080p 60 fps on high settings? Would much prefer it on my PC, but my rig is aging now. :(

GavinUK86

And just for people who cap their games to 30fps whether it's because of aging hardware or whatever, good news.

There isn't any weird bug that causes glitches or extra long load times by using the 1/2 refresh rate vsync option in nvidia inspector.

That gave me issues with Dragon Age Inquisition and, another engine but Dishonored 2 was unplayable if you capped it.

Maxing it out and capping it to 30fps can make it look very pretty and playable on a 970.

YMMV with the CA and Film Grain I have turned on though lol.

TitusTroy

how come in other threads people are complaining about the graphics?...looks great to me on PC...are the people complaining playing on console and how big of an upgrade is Ultra on PC compared to console?

Top Bottom