• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (PS3) |OT| Shepard's love is not exclusive

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Just finished the main mission on Citadel, and recruited the three characters there. Just to make sure before I go fetch Liara, that I don't need to start the sidequests on Citadel before that, and they're accessible when I return there with her?

BTW, starting the game for the third time is like coming back home, albeit this is the first time I get to finish it as well. I really love the atmosphere, that somehow felt different in the sequels. It's like I'm playing Babylon 5. =)

I would make a save before leaving, but from memory I can't think of any that wont let you start them after returning from a main planet mission.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I played enough ME1 to know that you wont miss anything if you go get Liara before starting the Citadel quests.

Melchiah

I played enough ME1 to know that you wont miss anything if you go get Liara before starting the Citadel quests.

The sidequests definitely weren't that meaningful, as far as I can remember from my previous times, when I completed them all. I'm just trying to make sure I get to make them in order to get the trophy.

loved the story but the gameplay felt like shit to me, so bad I just had to put it on easy and just plow through it to experience the story

I would replay it with ME2/3 gameplay

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Funnily enough, it was because of that Omni-gel thing that I went Engineer and discovered that it's my favorite class. I can't really play as anything else at this point. I also feel like a total hipster for loving the least-played class in the game.
Engineers represent!

I feel like a useless idiot with any other class. Engineer can just control the whole battlefield without firing a shot, and the class only get better in the sequels.

Dany

Banned
Engineers represent!

I feel like a useless idiot with any other class. Engineer can just control the whole battlefield without firing a shot, and the class only get better in the sequels.

same can be said about Adept. Insanity in Mass Effect 3 and I never fired a shot. Game was super easy then as it was now.

Though the cooldowns in ME1 are just killer :/

Kyoufu

same can be said about Adept. Insanity in Mass Effect 3 and I never fired a shot. Game was super easy then as it was now.

Though the cooldowns in ME1 are just killer :/

ME1 cooldowns are practically non-existent with good amp/armor upgrades.

Dany

Banned
ME1 cooldowns are practically non-existent with good amp/armor upgrades.

It takes forever to get to iirc. Level X amps did reduce cooldown a lot. Also I forgot that with the right mods, you can have infinite ammo w/ buffs. GOd, the colossus armor was a beauty So were the berserker armor for wrex. Beastly.

425px-Heavy-krogan-Battlemaster.png

6v8nD.jpg

Kyoufu

It takes forever to get to iirc. Level X amps did reduce cooldown a lot. Also I forgot that with the right mods, you can have infinite ammo w/ buffs. GOd, the colossus armor was a beauty So were the berserker armor for wrex. Beastly.

Love the armor designs.

Best part? Remove Helmet feature. <3

Esura

Banned
It is as old as the consoles, which almost every game on the marked is made for.

It is also a game filled to the brink with dialogue, a lot of dialogue so its all perfectly natural.

No, that isn't how things work, ME1 was 6.8GB at release on 360 only 5 years ago in the same generation, it is 10.5GB on PS3 in the EU due to all the languages it has to support next to the 7GB US release that doesn't.

Being old doesn't necessarily mean it has to be small, and being new doesn't mean it will be big, Skyrim for instance on 360 is only 3.6GB, there are bigger PS2 games than Skyrim.

I have so little space for ME1 but I would be crazy to spend 60 for the trilogy when I already have ME2 and 3 for PS3. Guess I'll delete something.

I do have a question though. Is the ME1 on the PSN compatible with retail copies of ME2?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I have so little space for ME1 but I would be crazy to spend 60 for the trilogy when I already have ME2 and 3 for PS3. Guess I'll delete something.

I do have a question though. Is the ME1 on the PSN compatible with retail copies of ME2?

Yup, save files should all work with each other, just have to make sure you patch ME2 when you start it up so it can import the ME1 save.

Stoffinator

My god are the driving levels bad on this game. I don't know if its a glitch or what, but I can just be driving and all of a sudden the screen stops and I get the death music and get the "Critical Mission Failure" screen over. Than I have to do the whole damn level over again.

PowderedToast

i am romancing kaiden as femshep, never done it before and it's hitting the nerd spot so far

as usual, the mid-mission character moments are my nectar and everything else is simply a means to an end. i really couldn't care less about the mindless dorks that inhabit most of these missions

this playthrough has also allowed me to clarify my feelings on the series as a whole. as far as WRPG credentials go it's really low on the totem pole. paragon/renegade is a crippling system for a game that supposedly thrives on the use of dialogue as a means to role play. it's so fucking dumb my brain can't take it

to give you a terrible analogy, if new vegas equates to a hiking trip where everybody comes across the same occassional signposts, mass effect is one of those theme park rides where you sit in a cart that's screwed to a track and moves along while you take in the pretty scenery. you might be able to have a choice of paths every once in a while but in the end none of it actually matters

wow that was horrible lmao

Patryn

My god are the driving levels bad on this game. I don't know if its a glitch or what, but I can just be driving and all of a sudden the screen stops and I get the death music and get the "Critical Mission Failure" screen over. Than I have to do the whole damn level over again.

That's a bug. You should only die if your health goes to 0.

Esura

Banned
Yup, save files should all work with each other, just have to make sure you patch ME2 when you start it up so it can import the ME1 save.

Cool, I ended up purchasing it. Didn't want to trade my PS3 ME3 LE in for the Trilogy.

I just hate that this download gonna take the whole day for me now. Wanted to play this before I go to work tomorrow. :(

i am romancing kaiden as femshep, never done it before and it's hitting the nerd spot so far

as usual, the mid-mission character moments are my nectar and everything else is simply a means to an end. i really couldn't care less about the mindless dorks that inhabit most of these missions

this playthrough has also allowed me to clarify my feelings on the series as a whole. as far as WRPG credentials go it's really low on the totem pole. paragon/renegade is a crippling system for a game that supposedly thrives on the use of dialogue as a means to role play. it's so fucking dumb my brain can't take it

to give you a terrible analogy, if new vegas equates to a hiking trip where everybody comes across the same occassional signposts, mass effect is one of those theme park rides where you sit in a cart that's screwed to a track and moves along while you take in the pretty scenery. you might be able to have a choice of paths every once in a while but in the end none of it actually matters

wow that was horrible lmao
No offense, but yeah that was a bad one. :p

I'm not a fan of morality systems in general.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
What difficulty are you playing? The Mako defenses are very weak and don't scale too kindly at the higher difficulty levels. One hard bump against a rock is sometimes all you need to die in the higher difficulties. IIRC, you can bump the shield levels by upgrading some engineer stats and making sure that engineer is always in the party during the Mako sections.

Foxix Von

What difficulty are you playing? The Mako defenses are very weak and don't scale too kindly at the higher difficulty levels. One hard bump against a rock is sometimes all you need to die in the higher difficulties. IIRC, you can bump the shield levels by upgrading some engineer stats and making sure that engineer is always in the party during the Mako sections.

It's been a while since I've last played ME1 but I'm pretty sure the last time I did I ended up just using the Mako for exploration. Basically any time I got into combat I would just jump out of it and handle it on foot for the experience bonus. :D Made for some.... hectic fights haha.

Kyoufu

It's been a while since I've last played ME1 but I'm pretty sure the last time I did I ended up just using the Mako for exploration. Basically any time I got into combat I would just jump out of it and handle it on foot for the experience bonus. :D Made for some.... hectic fights haha.

Taking down a massive worm thing which I forget the name of on foot feels great.

Killthee

Yeah, out all my runs on the 360 I think I only used the Mako for combat during the first one. It's so much better and easier to just run over the enemies with the Mako, pop out, Lift+Throw, and then shoot them with some explosive ammo or watch them slowly drift out into space. Bonus experience points for killing them without the Mako is just the cherry on top ;)

Played the first 2 hours.

Boy it plays so much better on a controller then with KB+M.

And its totally ME1. Only technical problem is some UE3 texture pop in when changing armer in the menus but it seems a lot better then it was when I played on PC.

Kurtofan

Did you drive into lava?

PFD

I finished this long ago on PC, but I must say, the story blurb in the OT is a massive spoiler if you haven't played the game. The revelation scene with the ancient VI in the last hour was a very memorable moment in gaming for me.

JerkShep

I've already completed the game twice before ME2 came out, but this is the first time I have Bring Down the Sky available. When should I play it? I've completed Therum and probably most of the assignments.

Killthee

I've already completed the game twice before ME2 came out, but this is the first time I have Bring Down the Sky available. When should I play it? I've completed Therum and probably most of the assignments.
It's a standalone mission that doesn't have any story ties to the base game. Up to you when you want to do it.

03sho

Is there gonna be a standalone blu ray version of ME1? I've already got 2 & 3 and don't want to buy the trilogy for ME1. Or is buying from PSN the only way?

Killthee

Is there gonna be a standalone blu ray version of ME1? I've already got 2 & 3 and don't want to buy the trilogy for ME1. Or is buying from PSN the only way?
Nope. PSN is the only way, unless you live in Europe. The EU trilogy set includes separate cases for each game so you might be able to find a used copy of ME floating around somewhere.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
the trilogy version of 3 doesn't have from ashes, does it?

if so i can't believe they're not bundling that yet

Each game in the trilogy is exactly as they first released so it didn't have to go through certification again, with the exception of ME1 as it was never originally released which is like the 360 greatest hits which came with the free Bring Down the Sky DLC.

Which is a shame really, because if they had waiting a few months for this last ME3 DLC, then bundled everything together on disc I would have happily bought them all again just so I always had a physical version of it all.

Melchiah

I played the game 8-9 hours straight on thursday, and got past the point I was left on PC. Tomorrow to Noveria.

PowderedToast

Each game in the trilogy is exactly as they first released so it didn't have to go through certification again, with the exception of ME1 as it was never originally released which is like the 360 greatest hits which came with the free Bring Down the Sky DLC.

Which is a shame really, because if they had waiting a few months for this last ME3 DLC, then bundled everything together on disc I would have happily bought them all again just so I always had a physical version of it all.

yep, a real shame this isn't a definitive release. i expect a GOTY version of ME3 in the near future, and since i haven't played that yet i'll wait till then

Has anyone tried to recreate a me3 character? I really got a face I felt looked close to me after using something completely different in 1 & 2 and would like to use that one.

Bisnic

I really liked the look of the Citadel in ME3. But yeah the first game had the best Citadel.

What i liked about ME1 was that every floors were linked by corridors, so it was really a gigantic city. Unlike ME3 Citadel where every floors are linked only by 1 elevator.

Sure i didn't bother using the corridors or elevators once i unlocked the "taxis" that could bring you to each places, but still... :p

What i liked about ME1 was that every floors were linked by corridors, so it was really a gigantic city. Unlike ME3 Citadel where every floors are linked only by 1 elevator.

Sure i didn't bother using the corridors or elevators once i unlocked the "taxis" that could bring you to each places, but still... :p

Yeah hopefully the next DLC will expand the Citadel. I highly doubt it though.

Stoffinator

I'm just on normal. But I don't even hit anything, just driving on the (some what) flat land surface. After it doing it like three times in random spots I haven't gone back to it.

Did you drive into lava?

lol no. Than I would know why I died.

RPGCrazied

I will get it today, its in my city at least. I think I will play the first one the longest, if I recall you can only really explore side planets in the first one? The other 2 games are like scanning games? You don't actually enter those planets. I wonder why they changed that. Does the first game have a lot of planets to explore? Not just the main story ones. I never really played Mass Effect 1.

Bisnic

I will get it today, its in my city at least. I think I will play the first one the longest, if I recall you can only really explore side planets in the first one? The other 2 games are like scanning games? You don't actually enter those planets. I wonder why they changed that. Does the first game have a lot of planets to explore? Not just the main story ones. I never really played Mass Effect 1.

Well, you DO enter planets in the sequels(more in ME2 than ME3 though), but they're always on foot and linear maps. No vehicules or exploring what might be hidden in that mountain in the distance like ME1.

RPGCrazied

Well, you DO enter planets in the sequels(more in ME2 than ME3 though), but they're always on foot and linear maps. No vehicules or exploring what might be hidden in that mountain in the distance like ME1.

Not all though? I remember in 2 at least you scan the planets for minerals, and some you can't even explore. Its just scanning it for minerals. Unless I'm wrong, been awhile since I played.

Bisnic

Not all though? I remember in 2 at least you scan the planets for minerals, and some you can't even explore. Its just scanning it for minerals. Unless I'm wrong, been awhile since I played.

Yeah, not all. You can scan ALL planets in ME2 and land on some, while the scanning "mini-game" was completely taken out in ME3 and replaced by a simple scan to probe specific planets for quick missions where you don't land at all. You do land on some planets for sidequests, but there isn't as many as in ME2 and they're either multiplayer maps that made it to the campaign or missions that are almost as long as the main ones. Well, i don't know if you already played ME3, so maybe you already knew that. :lol

Top Bottom