• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (PS3) |OT| Shepard's love is not exclusive

This reconstruction is just a nice idea to make sense why you you create your own Shepard. The profile is corrupt so you fill in how Shepard looks and his/her background.
Colonist etc are just for Shepard's background. Each has a unique assignment and it's mentioned several times in the game from other NPCs who make references to your past.
It's just a RP-thing, chose what you like :)

Oh thanks, so it won't really have an impact in my game progress, good to know. :)

Patryn

The PC version:
http://i.imgur.com/owTJ9l.png[IMG]

It was also annoying, but less so than the console version, which involves pushing three of the four symbol/ABXY buttons as fast as lightning without any error. At least the PC version was a bit more forgiving.

The ME2 mini-games were far less frustrating IMO.

The worst thing is, that in the beginning you don't have enough Omni-Gel, so you might miss out on some sidequests or equipment if you can't open them.

EDIT:

What's that?[/QUOTE]

Funnily enough, it was because of that Omni-gel thing that I went Engineer and discovered that it's my favorite class. I can't really play as anything else at this point. I also feel like a total hipster for loving the least-played class in the game.

And Simon is a game in the US where it shows you a pattern, and then you have to press that pattern afterwards.

[quote="TurkishEmperor, post: 45125787"]Oh thanks, so it won't really have an impact in my game progress, good to know. :)[/QUOTE]

Each background (Earther, Spacer, Colonist) has a short sidequest associated with it in ME1, and then each profile type (Ruthless, War Hero, Sole Survivor) will each add additional flavor to different sidequests which, unlike the backgrounds, are available to all characters.

In addition, both paragon and renegade players will unlock one unique sidequest.

Kurtofan

What's that?

96CCol.jpg

You have to copy the pattern.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Each background (Earther, Spacer, Colonist) has a short sidequest associated with it in ME1, and then each profile type (Ruthless, War Hero, Sole Survivor) will add additional flavor to another sidequest that, unlike the backgrounds, be available to all characters.

In addition, both paragon and renegade players will unlock one unique sidequest.

What I like about those background stories is that they continue to matter, even if its nothing major, in the sequels. Like in ME2 Shadow Broker DLC where that Asari Spectre mention what happened on Akuze, or if you choose the backstory where you still have your parents, Hackett will mention your mother in ME3.

Although i never started a fresh character from ME2 or ME3, so maybe they still give you these background story choices.

omonimo

Banned
ok it's the last which I buy a Bioware game on ps3, really. The lag controls in the shooter session are disturbing & in the citadel, fps is atrocious. I have to stop to play it when I arrive in the citadel, it was enough to me. I don't know what's idea of smoothness in Bioware but Mass Effect definitely is not on ps3, I don't know how they can claim something like this the last time, it's really irritating this bullsh!t PR proclaim. just to give an idea, even Crysis on console put in the shame this game & I'm not a great estimator of Crysis fps. I feel so bad to have spent my money on this, really, I hate with all my self laggy controls:(

Melchiah

Funnily enough, it was because of that Omni-gel thing that I went Engineer and discovered that it's my favorite class. I can't really play as anything else at this point. I also feel like a total hipster for loving the least-played class in the game.

And Simon is a game in the US where it shows you a pattern, and then you have to press that pattern afterwards.

Each background and profile type has a unique short sidequest in ME1.

Yeah, I cursed for not being able to open that one locker in Eden Prime with my Vanguard, as it notified that I had too low Electronics level. Does it help if you have a character, like Tali or Kaidan, with a high enough stats on your team?

I played with the idea of choosing Engineer this time, as it's my favorite class in the ME3 MP, but then I thought it wouldn't probably play the same, or have similar powers as eg. Geth Engineer.

So, you actually have to push the buttons after all three of them have flashed, not simultaneously? If so, no wonder they were that hard for me. =D

What?! I had no idea, that the background & profile type had an effect on the sidequests. So, any idea how it would be with Spacer/Sole Survivor, and what would be the best combination, if there's any meaningful difference between them?

96CCol.jpg

You have to copy the pattern.

Ahh. =)

Patryn

Yeah, I cursed for not being able to open that one locker in Eden Prime with my Vanguard, as it notified that I had too low Electronics level. Does it help if you have a character, like Tali or Kaidan, with a high enough stats on your team?

I played with the idea of choosing Engineer this time, as it's my favorite class in the ME3 MP, but then I thought it wouldn't probably play the same, or have similar powers as eg. Geth Engineer.

So, you actually have to push the buttons after all three of them have flashed, not simultaneously? If so, no wonder they were that hard for me. =D

What?! I had no idea, that the background & profile type had an effect on the sidequests. So, any idea how it would be with Spacer/Sole Survivor, and what would be the best combination, if there's any meaningful difference between them?

It does help having a character. The check is against your entire party, so as long as you have one person with high electronics, it will work.

And, no, for ME you have to push one at a time, not after the full pattern. I was simply explaining what Simon is.

Combinations don't matter. There are only the three unique ones based on background, and then added flavor to three more based on profile. So all Earthers see the same background sidequest, regardless of whether they're Ruthless, Sole Survivor or a War Hero. It's just that later on a different sidequest will have additional dialogue/flavor based on their profile.

For the curious, here are the sidequests that give you additional stuff based on profile:

Sole Survivor:
UNC: Dead Scientists
Ruthless:
UNC: Major Kyle
War Hero:
UNC: Espionage Probe

Melchiah

It does help having a character. The check is against your entire party, so as long as you have one person with high electronics, it will work.

And, no, for ME you have to push one at a time, not after the full pattern. I was simply explaining what Simon is.

Combinations don't matter. There are only the three unique ones based on background, and then added flavor to three more based on profile. So all Earthers see the same sidequest, regardless of whether they're Ruthless, Sole Survivor or a War Hero.

Good to know. So from now on, I'll be sure to keep Tali (don't really like Kaidan) in the team, and spec her accordingly. How many points need to be spent on Electronics exactly?

Too bad, as I already thought they might be easier from now on. Oh well.

Ah, found the three background sidequests. Spoilered just in case.
If you are an Earthbound, some gangsters that you used to run with on Earth find you and try to blackmail you.

If you are a Spacer, a soldier that served on one of the ships you grew up on finds you looking for help.

If you are a Colonist, a slave captured from the colony you grew up on tries to commit suicide, and you have to save her.

EDIT: You were quicker. ;)

Patryn

Good to know. So from now on, I'll be sure to keep Tali (don't really like Kaidan) in the team, and spec her accordingly. How many points need to be spent on Electronics exactly?

Too bad, as I already thought they might be easier from now on. Oh well.

Ah, found the three background sidequests. Spoilered just in case.
If you are an Earthbound, some gangsters that you used to run with on Earth find you and try to blackmail you.

If you are a Spacer, a soldier that served on one of the ships you grew up on finds you looking for help.

If you are a Colonist, a slave captured from the colony you grew up on tries to commit suicide, and you have to save her.

EDIT: You were quicker. ;)

If you look at the skill, you see that there are three levels at 1 points, 5 points and 9 points that allow you to open Easy, Average and Hard respectively.

However, the Decryption skill is also used for unlocking things. It also follows the 1,5 and 9 pattern.

So in order to open everything, your party needs a character with at least 9 points in Electronics and a character with at least 9 points in Decryption.

Melchiah

If you look at the skill, you see that there are three levels at 1 points, 5 points and 9 points that allow you to open Easy, Average and Hard respectively.

However, the Decryption skill is also used for unlocking things. It also follows the 1,5 and 9 pattern.

So in order to open everything, your party needs a character with at least 9 points in Electronics and a character with at least 9 points in Decryption.

Thanks for the info.

I just realized, that if I want to continue romancing Liara, and want Tali to help with opening the lockers, I can't keep Wrex/Garrus in the team. Unless, there are certain missions, where you can ditch either one of the ladies?

Bisnic

Thanks for the info.

I just realized, that if I want to continue romancing Liara, and want Tali to help with opening the lockers, I can't keep Wrex/Garrus in the team. Unless, there are certain missions, where you can ditch either one of the ladies?

You don't need to have Liara in your group if you want to romance her. The only times where you can do anything about it is in the Normandy. And Garrus have the Electronics skill. Not 100% sure about Decryption though. Pretty sure you can do a full run with a Wrex/Garrus team and be able to romance who you want and unlock every lockers. And if I remember right, if you use a power 75 times, you unlock the ability to give it to ANY class whenever you make a new Shepard. So you could give Decryption to a new Soldier after using it 75 times with an Engineer.

Melchiah

You don't need to have Liara in your group if you want to romance her. The only times where you can do anything about it is in the Normandy. And Garrus have the Electronics skill. Not 100% sure about Decryption though. Pretty sure you can do a full run with a Wrex/Garrus team and be able to romance who you want and unlock every lockers. And if I remember right, if you use a power 75 times, you unlock the ability to give it to ANY class whenever you make a new Shepard. So you could give Decryption to a new Soldier after using it 75 times with an Engineer.

Great to hear. =)

Kyoufu

It's all about Vanguard with Singularity bonus power.

Godlike.

I wonder if you can still use the Armour exploit on the lighter classes? I had a Colossus XI or whatever it was called on my Adept and Vanguard on the 360 version.

Vanguard sucks in ME1. They don't even have Charge! It feels so wrong after using that power so much in ME2 and ME3.

Charge is nice, but I still prefer ME1 Vanguard because I have far more abilities than in ME2/ME3.

Patryn

It's all about Vanguard with Singularity bonus power.

Godlike.

I wonder if you can still use the Armour exploit on the lighter classes? I had a Colossus XI or whatever it was called on my Adept and Vanguard on the 360 version.

Colossus makes Heavy, Medium and Light armor.

My engineer was rocking Colossus armor.

Also: That added power thing can actually bite you on the ass as a Sentinel. The Sentinel actually gets so many powers that if you give them an additional power, by the time you unlock all their abilities you will actually knock the added ability off the power wheel. That's why it's best to give a weapon skill to the Sentinel instead.

Bisnic

Charge is nice, but I still prefer ME1 Vanguard because I have far more abilities than in ME2/ME3.

"Far more"? I agree with ME2, but with ME3 I have enough powers to fill my 8 key shortcuts in the PC version(If i wasn't already using half of those for my squad powers already!), just like in ME1.

ME1 might give the impression that you have "far more" abilities with its bigger talent window, but a lot of this is passive buffs.

Melchiah

Vanguard sucks in ME1. They don't even have Charge! It feels so wrong after using that power so much in ME2 and ME3.

That's one of the reasons I tought about Engineer and Sentinel classes, but they seemed to have pretty limited choices regarding weaponry.

Patryn

That's one of the reasons I tought about Engineer and Sentinel classes, but they seemed to have pretty limited choices regarding weaponry.

Because ME1 is individual cooldowns, the utilization of powers becomes much more important than in later games. ME3 did come close to this if you only carried a single light weapon, but it still wasn't the same.

But if you play ME1 as a Sentinel, Engineer or Adept, you should be relying far more on your abilities than your gun.

Of course, once you unlocked the weapon achievements (for 150 kills, I believe), you could then open up the ability to use that weapon type for any class.

Kyoufu

"Far more"? I agree with ME2, but with ME3 I have enough powers to fill my 8 key shortcuts in the PC version(If i wasn't already using half of those for my squad powers already!), just like in ME1.

ME1 might give the impression that you have "far more" abilities with its bigger talent window, but a lot of this is passive buffs.

ME3 has Charge, Pull, Nova and what else? I can't remember.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Whoa I did not know this. So if I play through ME1 with a Soldier and use my assualt rifle skill (the one that makes you accurate and not overheat etc) more than 75 times... I can apply the assualt rifle upgrade path to other classes? So I could use my assault rifle skill with a Vanguard or something? Thats awesome. I always played soldier on PC cause I didnt want to give up assault rifles.

Bisnic

ME3 has Charge, Pull, Nova and what else? I can't remember.

Shockwave + special power of your choice, maybe grenades too? I think they also got 2 ammo powers, although i guess those could almost count as passive buffs, unless you constantly switch between them depending on your target.

Vanguards might not be the best example i guess if they have 2 ammo powers rather than just one.

Kyoufu

Shockwave + special power of your choice, maybe grenades too? I think they also got 2 ammo powers, although i guess those could almost count as passive buffs, unless you constantly switch between them depending on your target.

Vanguards might not be the best example i guess if they have 2 ammo powers rather than just one.

Okay, you're right.

I will rephrase:

ME1 Vanguard has far more powers I can use without being cockblocked by Global Cooldown. Because lets face it, I'm not going to use Pull when I can Charge, haha.

ME2/ME3 would be fantastic if that global cooldown did not exist.

edit: another problem I have with ME3's Vanguard is the fact that it's just really overpowered. Vanguards should not use a pistol but if I do, then my global cooldown is reduced greatly which then allows me to go into god mode with Charge -> Nova x2 spam. It's stupid and it killed my enjoyment :(

ME1 & ME2 Shotgun Vanguard all the way.

I think i would rather deal with a 2-3 secs global cooldown than the 30 secs cooldowns from ME1 to be honest. Beside, Pull's cooldown is what in ME3 with a light weapon? 1.5 secs? That's basically nothing. :p

Cooldowns in ME1 are very very short in endgame. It's more like 8-10 seconds or something plus you have that ability which resets every cooldown. It's so fun!

Bisnic

Okay, you're right.

I will rephrase:

ME1 Vanguard has far more powers I can use without being cockblocked by Global Cooldown. Because lets face it, I'm not going to use Pull when I can Charge, haha.

ME2/ME3 would be fantastic if that global cooldown did not exist.

I think i would rather deal with a 2-3 secs global cooldown than the 30 secs non-global cooldowns from ME1 to be honest. Beside, Pull's cooldown is what in ME3 with a light weapon? 1.5 secs? That's basically nothing. :p

Whoa I did not know this. So if I play through ME1 with a Soldier and use my assualt rifle skill (the one that makes you accurate and not overheat etc) more than 75 times... I can apply the assualt rifle upgrade path to other classes? So I could use my assault rifle skill with a Vanguard or something? Thats awesome. I always played soldier on PC cause I didnt want to give up assault rifles.

Unlocking weapon speciality is different, i think you have to kill 150 enemies with a specific type to unlock them

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I had forgotten the pain that are ME1 Achievements/Trophies, the squad mate ones requiring 3 play throughs along with the weapon and power ones. Besides the difficulty ones the rest aren't hard just time consuming.

So far my plan is to do a quick run through first for the main ones along with two squad and paragon and just enjoying the ride, then a second to get the second play through and level 60 along with two more squad, then a third while getting the renegade and last two squad. Mean while I will try to sort out the power ones, or just start the new character and spam the different objects.

And then last I will continue my first character who would have done 2 play throughs and at that point should be fitted out with the top gear and highest level, the idea being that I have nothing else I need to do besides surviving.
There are probably shorter ways like doing insanity on second play through etc., but I would rather not be overly frustrated and waste more time than rush and rage, lol.

Melchiah

Because ME1 is individual cooldowns, the utilization of powers becomes much more important than in later games. ME3 did come close to this if you only carried a single light weapon, but it still wasn't the same.

But if you play ME1 as a Sentinel, Engineer or Adept, you should be relying far more on your abilities than your gun.

Of course, once you unlocked the weapon achievements (for 150 kills, I believe), you could then open up the ability to use that weapon type for any class.

I actually played ME3 that way, using only the Prothean Particle Rifle.

I dunno whether I'd want to play the game relying mostly on powers, as I prefer to have the choice to use both.

BTW, anyone any idea about what (side)missions should not be done before getting Liara into the team? When I was playing the game on PC, I recall reading something about postponing most of the Citadel missions until that, if you want to romance her. But it's been quite a while, so I'm not sure.

Kurtofan

I dunno whether I'd want to play the game relying mostly on powers, as I prefer to have the choice to use both.

BTW, anyone any idea about what (side)missions should not be done before getting Liara into the team? When I was playing the game on PC, I recall reading something about postponing most of the Citadel missions until that, if you want to romance her. But it's been quite a while, so I'm not sure.

It's if you want her achievement, as she's recruited after all other characters.

Patryn

The postponing of missions is simply to allow you to get the Asari squadmate achievement, which require her being in your active party for the majority of the game. If you don't care about that one achievement, you can just play as normal. Romances will not be affected at all.

Bisnic

If anything i would recommend getting Liara AFTER Theros, Noveria and Virmire if you don't care much about the romance. She keeps thinking she's hallucinating when she meets Shepard's team for the first time since she has been trapped in those ruins for so fucking long, it's quite funny. :p Then she get all pissed off on the Normandy after you saved her because she missed most of the adventure and revelations.

Melchiah

Liara's reactions to her late rescue sound hilarious, but I think I'll pick her up sooner than that. I'll have to watch those clips on YouTube though. =)

So, in order to get the trophy I should recruit her before Garrus/Wrex/Tali? The last time I went to recruit her just after picking those three.

Kyoufu

Liara's reactions to her late rescue sound hilarious, but I think I'll pick her up sooner than that. I'll have to watch those clips on YouTube though. =)

So, in order to get the trophy I should recruit her before Garrus/Wrex/Tali? The last time I went to recruit her just after picking those three.

You can pick her up after those three.

Patryn

If you pick up Liara before picking up Garrus and Wrex, then you're never getting Garrus or Wrex. They have to be picked up as part of the Tali quest, and the Tali quest must be completed before you get access to the Normandy and the Liara mission.

Melchiah

You can pick her up after those three.

Thanks. And that's my cue to continue where I left off yesterday.

If you pick up Liara before picking up Garrus and Wrex, then you're never getting Garrus or Wrex. They have to be picked up as part of the Tali quest, and the Tali quest must be completed before you get access to the Normandy and the Liara mission.

Yeah, I kinda wondered would the Liara mission open without getting some of those.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

You have to get her afterwards technically, but what you want to do is ignore all the side quests you don't have to do to progress and when you get the Normandy go pick her up straight away.
Then you go back and do all the Citadel stuff with her, you have to do so many missions with each of the characters, and the Citadel has a bunch of things which is why people don't get her Achievement/Trophy as they did it all before getting her and it can be a pain finding and having to do every other side thing to hit the requirement.

Bisnic

Yeah, the only thing you need to be careful is not doing any sidequests at all. Just the main stuff until you get to leave the Citadel and go to Therum for Liara.

Patryn

Yeah, the only thing you need to be careful is not doing any sidequests at all. Just the main stuff until you get to leave the Citadel and go to Therum for Liara.

I believe having Bring Down the Sky will give you a little more breathing room, as it adds additional missions that weren't in the original game.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I believe having Bring Down the Sky will give you a little more breathing room, as it adds additional missions that weren't in the original game.

Indeed, I think it is like 50 missions in total of the 75 you can do throughout the game (not counting DLC) or something for whatever character you want to get it with, so while you can get it as far as I am aware it just means having to find every single little side quest and to finish off with them.

Someone's probably posted already, but how good/bad is the port?

It runs generally much smoother than the 360 version did, the saving takes longer for whatever reason than the auto saving on 360, the little loading times between location changes are also slightly longer. Graphically it is pretty much the same but they seemingly sorted out some of the small things and lightning. Pretty sure some extra graphics like the council holograms phased out with a sort of wavey bubble to it when on the 360 they kind of just shrunk or screwed up some how, lol.

So it is a nice port, nothing special but perfectly playable.

Bisnic

I was thinking about this, but i'm not sure if they even count DLC missions for those squadmate achievements. Never bothered to check since i bought Bring Down the Sky only recently and did 1 playthrough with it.

Patryn

I was thinking about this, but i'm not sure if they even count DLC missions for those squadmate achievements. Never bothered to check since i bought Bring Down the Sky only recently and did 1 playthrough with it.

They do. Both BDTS and Pinnacle Station missions are counted towards the final total without adding to the number required.

Indeed, I think it is like 50 missions in total of the 75 you can do throughout the game (not counting DLC) or something for whatever character you want to get it with, so while you can get it as far as I am aware it just means having to find every single little side quest and to finish off with them.

It runs generally much smoother than the 360 version did, the saving takes longer for whatever reason than the auto saving on 360, the little loading times between location changes are also slightly longer. Graphically it is pretty much the same but they seemingly sorted out some of the small things and lightning. Pretty sure some extra graphics like the council holograms phased out with a sort of wavey bubble to it when on the 360 they kind of just shrunk or screwed up some how, lol.

So it is a nice port, nothing special but perfectly playable.

Thanks a lot! I'm going to buy the trilogy on PS3 I think, I've played 2/3 on 360, but I think the fact I am a trophy wh0re is enough for me to buy all 3.

So does anyone else have comments on the performance or graphics quality? I have it on PC but lost my save a while back. Would be cool to do the whole trilogy on PS3.

Edit: nice. I posted a second too late. Thanks for the info!

RPGCrazied

I know this would be a great port. Edge of Reality did a pretty good job with Dragon Age. Kinda sad the 360 folks can't get this version, that run pretty bad. Texture pop-in and screen tearing is really bad.

dEvAnGeL

as long as the game has vsync on i don't care if it runs at 540 and 20 frames, i can handle those problems but i cant handle screen tearing, that shit makes me nauseous

So this is my first mass effect game and I'm loving the atmosphere, the music. The Sci-Fi lore so far has been great. I'm already all over this combat being nerdy as hell. Items and boxes all over the place. The story seems great.

But I want to know if there's a way to save the specter? Is it possible?

What happens if I continue the mission with my squad mates dead?

I bitch slapped a dude who was crazy/genius in a hidden office after hacking into the building.

Should I disable auto-scaling on the leveling up of my squad? When do I get to bone the blue alien chick?

So many questions! Will play all night probably.

Bisnic

So this is my first mass effect game and I'm loving the atmosphere, the music. The Sci-Fi lore so far has been great. I'm already all over this combat being nerdy as hell. Items and boxes all over the place. The story seems great.

But I want to know if there's a way to save the specter? Is it possible?

What happens if I continue the mission with my squad mates dead?

I bitch slapped a dude who was crazy/genius in a hidden office after hacking into the building.

Should I disable auto-scaling on the leveling up of my squad? When do I get to bone the blue alien chick?

So many questions! Will play all night probably.

No you can't save Nihlus.

Your squadmates always come back to life after combat is over, so don't worry.

Yes disable auto-scaling, it's way better to choose the skills yourself.

You get to bone her near the end of the game, and you have to be nice with her for that to happen obviously, if you romance Ashley/Kaidan instead, it won't happen.

Enjoy playing a great sci-fi serie!

Melchiah

Just finished the main mission on Citadel, and recruited the three characters there. Just to make sure before I go fetch Liara, that I don't need to start the sidequests on Citadel before that, and they're accessible when I return there with her?

BTW, starting the game for the third time is like coming back home, albeit this is the first time I get to finish it as well. I really love the atmosphere, that somehow felt different in the sequels. It's like I'm playing Babylon 5. =)

Top Bottom