• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (PS3) |OT| Shepard's love is not exclusive

I was expecting it to look more different after they said they where using a updated engine sort of like ME2 ps3, but after watching some gameplay videos I guess for better or worse this looks like its some Mass Effect 1 looking Mass Effect 1.

Sucks they didnt do some updating I guess. A lot of Mass Effect 1 has that stock lighting early gen "oh shit we dont know how to quite use the Unreal Engine 3 yet" look to a lot of it.

If I dont break down and buy a vita the collection will be mine on Friday

I was expecting it to look more different after they said they where using a updated engine sort of like ME2 ps3, but after watching some gameplay videos I guess for better or worse this looks like its some Mass Effect 1 looking Mass Effect 1.

Sucks they didnt do some updating I guess. A lot of Mass Effect 1 has that stock lighting early gen "oh shit we dont know how to quite use the Unreal Engine 3 yet" look to a lot of it.

If I dont break down and buy a vita the collection will be mine on Friday

where were these vids posted? I wanna watch

CronoShot

The ME1 port isn't exactly impressive so far (just beat the first mission). There's some audio sync issues (during one conversation it just cut out completely) and I had to reload once after getting stuck on a rock.

Also, from what I remember of the 360 version, it doesn't seem to run or look particularly better. Granted, it's been a while since I played it.

xion4360

The ME1 port isn't exactly impressive so far (just beat the first mission). There's some audio sync issues (during one conversation it just cut out completely) and I had to reload once after getting stuck on a rock.

Also, from what I remember of the 360 version, it doesn't seem to run or look particularly better. Granted, it's been a while since I played it.

It definitely does run better with only start up pop in (more like fade in and not POP in) the shadows dont flicker like on 360 and framerate/screentearing is not as bad.

There have been times during multiple different games where the audio goes out completely for a couple minutes. Its something to do with the PS3 and not the games. Not sure if thats what you mean but it could be.

fernoca

Going to try and recreate my ME3 character for the first game.

PWjal.jpg

Always played with the default-male character, but since I replayed ME3 so much..I decided to create one for the higher difficulty/Kaidan loving playthroughs.

So what's the definitive version of the series? I currently own all 3 standalone mass effect games for the 360 (no DLC). Is it worth selling these to get the trilogy? If so should I go PS3 or 360?

About to buy this when I get home from work so I'll be posting my PSN impressions in a day or so.

I'm pretty critical as I have finished the game twice now on both 360 and PC, so I'll let you guys know how it turned out. Think I have a pretty qualified idea of how this game is techinically speaking.

Stay tuned.

Yuripaw

Banned
I just made my character, and am just on the ship...but man, I've played the xbox 360 version of this game enough times to remember how it looked and feels during this intro. This definitely looks like it's running at a smoother framerate. Even running in circles on the xbox 360 version would cause the game to stutter, but it looks really smooth to me so far.

We'll see how it stands up on eden prime, I know how that area performed on xbox pretty well.

Edit: On eden prime now, no doubt about it...this version runs much smoother than the xbox 360 version does. I haven't seen it run this smooth since I tried the PC version.

Tash

Male characters look so much better than the female versions :/
And I know a lot were hating on it but I really enjoyed exploring a bit while driving the Mako around. Really missed that in the later versions :)

Going to try and recreate my ME3 character for the first game.

Always played with the default-male character, but since I replayed ME3 so much..I decided to create one for the higher difficulty/Kaidan loving playthroughs.

Shaft: Mass Effect Edition

I'm buying this someday. I just can't right now.

Patryn

So what's the definitive version of the series? I currently own all 3 standalone mass effect games for the 360 (no DLC). Is it worth selling these to get the trilogy? If so should I go PS3 or 360?

If you already own the games for the 360, there's no reason to sell them for the trilogy. The 360 version doesn't come with any of the DLC.

I'm still early on in the game, but in the time I played it there was no texture pop-ins and the frame rate was smooth as silk. The graphics seem to be using assets from the PC version of ME. The resolution is noticeably higher on the PS3 than on the Xbox 360.

Ever since its initial release on the Xbox and subsequent release on the PC, I've wanted to be able to play Mass Effect using a controller at a decent resolution with excellent graphics and smooth frame rates. The PS3 release of Mass Effect delivers this in spades.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This totally happened to me on the Xbox 360, so yeah it's still Mass Effect lol

Saw this happen on my 1st playthough on the PC version too. Never saw that bug again after that though. Was funny to witness, i had no idea what was going on.

Note : Be sure to save multiple times on the Noveria base with Rachnis, i played yesterday and Shepard got stuck in one of the elevator... this isnt the first time Shepard get stuck on something in that damn base. Last time was after i unlocked a chest, i couldn't move at all, although that was like a year ago.

Good to hear that the port seems alright, might give a 15$ PSN card as a christmas gift to my brother after all and tell him to buy it since he liked ME2 and 3.

I'm still early on in the game, but in the time I played it there was no texture pop-ins and the frame rate was smooth as silk. The graphics seem to be using assets from the PC version of ME. The resolution is noticeably higher on the PS3 than on the Xbox 360.

Ever since its initial release on the Xbox and subsequent release on the PC, I've wanted to be able to play Mass Effect using a controller at a decent resolution with excellent graphics and smooth frame rates. The PS3 release of Mass Effect delivers this in spades.

Agreed, the Framerate is very solid!

Synless

The original on 360 ran at 720p, what are you talking about?

Synless

I'm talking about the difference I can clearly see on my television. More jaggies on the 360 version. That was unexpected, to be honest.
AA and resolution are not the same thing. The 360 version of Mass Effect ran at 720p and I highly doubt the PS3 version is running higher than that.

Mad_Ban

Is the framerate quite stable? I noticed that IGN guy saying it was quite bad in places, along with some streams that looked quite low-fps (though I'm guessing it was just shit equipment).

AA and resolution are not the same thing. The 360 version of Mass Effect ran at 720p and I highly doubt the PS3 version is running higher than that.

I know that. It's my belief that you're wrong, but I was being polite about it. :)

EDIT: To be fair, the PS3 version was playing at 720p on my TV.

Best wishes.

Synless

I know that. It's my belief that you're wrong, but I was being polite about it. :)

EDIT: To be fair, the PS3 version was playing at 720p on my TV.

Best wishes.
That's irrelevant, the game is running at no higher than 720p on PS3. I'm not doubting that it may be running smoother or have better IQ, but your belief that it is running at a higher resolution and that is the reason there are less jaggies is wrong. I'm looking at the native res shots of the game right now and in no way is it higher than 720p.

That's irrelevant, the game is running at no higher than 720p on PS3. I'm not doubting that it may be running smoother or have better IQ, but your belief that it is running at a higher resolution and that is the reason there are less jaggies is wrong. I'm looking at the native res shots of the game right now and in no way is it higher than 720p.

You're assuming that ME on 360 is running at 720p. There are plenty of Xbox games, especially the early ones, that don't run at 720p. That's what I'm contesting.

EDIT: A quick Google search hasn't supported what I've questioned from you. I'll digress so that this doesn't further derail the thread. Best wishes.

Synless

You're assuming that ME on 360 is running at 720p. There are plenty of Xbox games, especially the early ones, that don't run at 720p. That's what I'm contesting.

EDIT: A quick Google search hasn't supported what I've questioned from you. I'll digress not to further derail the thread. Best wishes.

I'm not assuming shit, it has been known to be 720p for years.

Mass Effect = 1280x720 (2xAA, transparencies and effects not AA'd)

My source: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

Mad_Ban

For anyone in the EU wanting to get ME1 PS3 standalone from the PS Store, it's now up (in the UK at least) and it's available for purchase :) I was worried it'd be a preorder, but nope! Full game!

Downloading now. 10.5GB

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
For anyone in the EU wanting to get ME1 PS3 standalone from the PS Store, it's now up (in the UK at least) and it's available for purchase :) I was worried it'd be a preorder, but nope! Full game!

Downloading now. 10.5GB

Sweet, I thought we might have to wait till the 7th when the Trilogy comes out here. ME1 along with the PS+ games will keep me busy till Christmas I imagine.

Esura

Banned

Downloading now. 10.5GB

Damn, so I have no choice but to buy the trilogy and rebuy the same two games I already have. I refuse to download 10GB console game.

Waaghals

Ain't ME1 old? Shouldn't it be like 2GBs or 4GBs?

It is as old as the consoles, which almost every game on the marked is made for.

It is also a game filled to the brink with dialogue, a lot of dialogue so its all perfectly natural.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Ain't ME1 old? Shouldn't it be like 2GBs or 4GBs?

No, that isn't how things work, ME1 was 6.8GB at release on 360 only 5 years ago in the same generation, it is 10.5GB on PS3 in the EU due to all the languages it has to support next to the 7GB US release that doesn't.

Being old doesn't necessarily mean it has to be small, and being new doesn't mean it will be big, Skyrim for instance on 360 is only 3.6GB, there are bigger PS2 games than Skyrim.

No, that isn't how things work, ME1 was 6.8GB at release on 360 only 5 years ago in the same generation, it is 10.5GB on PS3 in the EU due to all the languages it has to support next to the 7GB US release that doesn't.

Being old doesn't necessarily mean it has to be small, and being new doesn't mean it will be big, Skyrim for instance on 360 is only 3.6GB, there are bigger PS2 games than Skyrim.

Holy shit, it's 5 years old... I still remember getting that call from EB when street date broke a week early. Best time to be an Australian in the nations history.

Melchiah

Downloading now. 10.5GB

I was unpleasantly surprised at first, that only the trilogy seemed to be available, but I found ME1 via search. Kinda odd (and devious) they didn't put it visible there.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Glad to hear it performs well!! I was buying it regardless but this is awesome, Im pumped. Is the version where every disk has its own case Europe only?? US gets stuck with the folding thing?

Mad_Ban

I was unpleasantly surprised at first, that only the trilogy seemed to be available, but I found ME1 via search. Kinda odd (and devious) they didn't put it visible there.

I found it via the "latest" tab in the store. It was one of the featured images.

lucius

Played past Eden Prime, then popped in 360 version again since it's been a while, one place you can notice it runs a bit smoother right where you 1st fight the Husks on spikes in that town right before you meet crazy Manuel and the woman if you open one of the doors, just go around that town and pan the camera no tearing and less jerky than on 360. The loadings are longer though even the save is some seconds longer, but the ME2 PS3 loading were worse also. Wonder how that whole section before you fight Liara's mom is, since that seemed like a bad section on 360. Visually looks like a wash so far some thing look more clear but at times I prefer 360's look. I have not touched the PC version.

Seems like a decent port so far for $15 I really wasn't expecting to them to redo much of anything. People that didn't play this are lucky PS3 is getting a version at all.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Glad to hear it performs well!! I was buying it regardless but this is awesome, Im pumped. Is the version where every disk has its own case Europe only?? US gets stuck with the folding thing?
Seems like it.

omonimo

Banned
Oh, so fps is smooth, it's confirmed? I'm ready to download it, but I stay away with all myself to the sequel; fps on ps3 is just so terrible.

Top Bottom