• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Trilogy releasing this November on 360/PS3/PC (including ME1 on PS3)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Still no word. It says above that the PS3 DLC will be announced soon.
It's not like they can take out the DLC that was a part of the PS3 box to begin with .

From what it says on the official website, they're just compensating to make sure all three versions have the same DLC out of the box (including Cerberus Network on PC and 360).

The PS3 version of the collection will be released before the year ends right?

Just a big "undefined" so far.

fernoca

Yeah...Weird wording too; but that kinda confirms that the 360 doesn't seem to include any DLC.

-ME1 doesn't include DLC (even when the Platinum Hits did, as a separate disc to install).
-ME2 includes the Cerberus Network which was their equivalent of an online pass to download stuff.
-ME3 includes Online Pass for multiplayer (current DLC is free).

PC version is the only one that mentions DLC been included on disc and only for ME1 (probably because of the problems back then for people getting the Bring Down the Sky "free" DLC).

Though kinda goes to the same point.
Anyone putting this colleciton in some pedestal compared to the Wii U version not getting it; or as evidence that EA is giving the finger to Nintendo is just nonsense.

On a very basic way it may look that way ("OMG, Xbox 360 gets 3 games for $60, Wii U gets 1 for $60"). When in reality, they're just re-printing those discs with another art and a new packaging. Kinda like the PS3 Collections Sony's doing (...same discs, different artwork, some vocuhers/codes. At least those cost $40 and includes other extras)

The only one that might get a pass is the PS3 version, and simply becuase ME1 was never released on it; so they're actually porting the game. And will end as a better package with just 3 discs, one per game and no disc swapping. :p

Not that is a bad thing ,but is not like there's additional/actual work; unlike the Wii U port on which they're actually working and adding stuff.

Again, if they had the games already running on Wii/Wii U they would include them; but that version like this Trilogy are just ways to make some quick money more than anything.

- J - D -

It's not like they can take out the DLC that was a part of the PS3 box to begin with .

From what it says on the official website, they're just compensating to make sure all three versions have the same DLC out of the box (including Cerberus Network on PC and 360).

Lets hope you're right and there is parity between each platform's versions...for the best. There's no reason that they couldn't strip out the DLC from the PS3 ME2, or have it be the only version among the 3 collections to have the DLCs included. The pc version of ME2 (in this trilogy) doesn't seem to include the 4 big DLC missions as part of the Cerberus Network inclusions.

The big question is ME3 and the Extended Cut, From Ashes and Leviathan.

Hydrargyrus

I bet for a ME1 port with the ME2-3 engine for PS3 and the all the DLC added for ME2 (like the previous edition in PS3)... but probably a december release

deviljho

Anyone putting this colleciton in some pedestal compared to the Wii U version not getting it; or as evidence that EA is giving the finger to Nintendo is just nonsense.

On a very basic way it may look that way ("OMG, Xbox 360 gets 3 games for $60, Wii U gets 1 for $60").

EA is stupid. They could have released ME1 and ME2 on one $60 disc for Wii U, and ME3 on another $60 disc for Wii U. Wait a few months, then release the trilogy for PS360.

Hydrargyrus

EA is stupid. They could have released ME1 and ME2 on one $60 disc for Wii U, and ME3 on another $60 disc for Wii U. Wait a few months, then release the trilogy for PS360.

Why?

I understand that the Wii U users want to play the entire trilogy... but there are some people that seems to be more interested in sales than the games.

I want to play the entire trilogy in PS3 (I've only played ME2 and 3) asap. I don't care when would be released in other consoles or if it sells more or less with his policy.
I wish all could play ME trilogy this holidays, but why should they postpone the relase in other consoles for Wii U benefit?

Number45

Somebody mentioned that playing ME2 without the Shadow Broker feels "empty", what does it give you that isn't already in the vanilla game? Don't want to go looking on the internet for fear of spoilers!

Melchiah

This post is kinda funny because the announcement of Bayo 2 for Wii U shows that entitlement isn't exclusive to any particular platform. However, Nintendo fans should be used to being left out of the party by now.

Well, it's a bit different as the first Bayonetta was released on PS3/360. So, they're pretty much giving the finger to the existing fans. Reminds me of the situation when Resident Evil became GC exclusive. Personally I'm not interested in Bayonetta though.

Why?

I understand that the Wii U users want to play the entire trilogy... but there are some people that seems to be more interested in sales than the games.

I want to play the entire trilogy in PS3 (I've only played ME2 and 3) asap. I don't care when would be released in other consoles or if it sells more or less with his policy.
I wish all could play ME trilogy this holidays, but why should they postpone the relase in other consoles for Wii U benefit?

Same here. I don't really understand why they should be released first on the Wii-U. This definitely feels like it's more about the sales than the games themselves.

Somebody mentioned that playing ME2 without the Shadow Broker feels "empty", what does it give you that isn't already in the vanilla game? Don't want to go looking on the internet for fear of spoilers!

It doesn't make the game feel empty, it's just a really great piece of DLC that anyone playing ME2 should experience.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Liara's your only companion during that fight.

edit: Depending on your class the fight can be tricky. Easiest fight would be Infiltrator with Widow and Assassination cloak.

I think he's talking about the Vasir fight. You know... the Asari Spectre.

RPGCrazied

The only thing I want is the new team members. There is 1 in 2, and 1 in 3? Are those free? Could care less about weapon packs or visual styles.

Hydrargyrus

Liara's your only companion during that fight.

edit: Depending on your class the fight can be tricky. Easiest fight would be Infiltrator with Widow and Assassination cloak.

Sorry, I didn't remember that.
I remebered that I was fighting alone all the time. My class was soldier.

EuroMIX

Well, it's a bit different as the first Bayonetta was released on PS3/360. So, they're pretty much giving the finger to the existing fans.

They aren't purposefully giving the "middle finger" to fans just to spite them though. It's this or nothing.

farnham

Banned
So my understanding is if ME3 on wiiu gets okay sales EA might think about considering to port over ME2 and ME1 right?

kinda like the situation with PS3 and ME1...

farnham

Banned
Well, it's a bit different as the first Bayonetta was released on PS3/360. So, they're pretty much giving the finger to the existing fans. Reminds me of the situation when Resident Evil became GC exclusive. Personally I'm not interested in Bayonetta though.

My understanding is that Nintendo was the only one that was willing to fund that project.

So that means either Bayonetta 2 for WiiU or no more Bayonetta.. Dont know if its the middle finger to existing fans.. could be.. but you cant ask nintendo to fund a game on 360 and Ps3 so its at least understandable.

EuroMIX

My understanding is that Nintendo was the only one that was willing to fund that project.

So that means either Bayonetta 2 for WiiU or no more Bayonetta.. Dont know if its the middle finger to existing fans.. could be.. but you cant ask nintendo to fund a game on 360 and Ps3 so its at least understandable.

I don't want to turn this into Bayonetta 2 Bitch Thread 2.0, but I would have thought that fans would just be happy that someone valued the series enough to foot the bill on the sequel. If 2 does well enough, PG may be able to create more games in the series, possibly even on other consoles, depending on how they feel and their agreements with Nintendo and Sega, of course. For all we know Bayonetta could do well on Nintendo systems making the exclusive worthwhile.

It's definitely different to this case though, since both series are in completely different positions.

Melchiah

They aren't purposefully giving the "middle finger" to fans just to spite them though. It's this or nothing.

That's true, but I imagine the fans of the first feel hurt about the decision, eventhough it might be the only option for the sequel to be made. I personally wouldn't buy another system just for one particular game (assuming the 1st party titles aren't interesting enough), even if it was one of my favorite series, like I didn't buy GC just for RE Remake.

EuroMIX

That's true, but I imagine the fans of the first feel hurt about the decision, eventhough it might be the only option for the sequel to be made. I personally wouldn't buy another system just for one particular game (assuming the 1st party titles aren't interesting enough), even if it was one of my favorite series, like I didn't buy GC just for RE Remake.

What are these people going to do when new games in series they love are only available on next generation consoles? I suppose in those cases the people in question need to calculate how badly they want to play those games.

omonimo

Banned
Curious if mass effect on ps3 will use the last version of the engine with its new 'enhancement' or will be just a porting of the first.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hahahaha of course they'd keep most of the good DLC separate. Gotta make that dough.

Considering you still have to pay for all ME2 and ME3 DLCS, are people really surprised? You gotta pay 20$ for all ME3 DLCs(30$ once Omega is released) and who knows how much for Kasumi, Shadow Broker, Overlord and Arrival for ME2. And all that combined would be worth more than half the price of the Trilogy package price that was originally announced.

Melchiah

What are these people going to do when new games in series they love are only available on next generation consoles? I suppose in those cases the people in question need to calculate how badly they want to play those games.

I guess they'll have to buy Wii-U if enough of them jump ship, but at the moment there's no reason to believe most of the franchises wouldn't continue on PS3/360 or PS4/X3. After all, 3rd party titles haven't usually sold as much on Nintendo's systems as they have on the others. And 3rd party exclusives seem to be quite rare nowadays.

Effect

This post is kinda funny because the announcement of Bayo 2 for Wii U shows that entitlement isn't exclusive to any particular platform. However, Nintendo fans should be used to being left out of the party by now.

Certainly when it comes to some publishers. That should have always been a given no matter what power the Wii U was going to have. EA as said many times is just a stupidly run company it seems. I am surprised they're acting like this from day one though. I would have thought they'd at least want to pretend a little better. With this why no just cancel the game outright and eat the cost and not worry about even printing the games.

EuroMIX

I guess they'll have to buy Wii-U if enough of them jump ship, but at the moment there's no reason to believe most of the franchises wouldn't continue on PS3/360 or PS4/X3. After all, 3rd party titles haven't usually sold as much on Nintendo's systems as they have on the others. And 3rd party exclusives seem to be quite rare nowadays.

My point wasn't purely games being made for the Wii U, but that eventually all games, and many exclusives, will eventually be made for all three next generation consoles when the other two are finally released, and at that point those people are going to have the same problem we are seeing with Bayonetta 2.

Melchiah

My point wasn't purely games being made for the Wii U, but that eventually all games, and many exclusives, will eventually be made for all three next generation consoles when the other two are finally released, and at that point those people are going to have the same problem we are seeing with Bayonetta 2.

Ah, I misunderstood your post. Those with a current gen console will probably move on to the newer ones eventually. I guess the choice depends on what franchises they want to play, and what 1st party titles they like the most. Perhaps the media capabilities of the systems may matter as well. The choice might be problematic if some of your beloved 3rd party series divide between different platforms (like for me personally, if ME became MS exclusive again), but I think that's a highly unlikely situation, at least with the biggest titles like CoD, Assassin's Creed and such. The worst scenario is when one of your wanted titles (ie. Bayonetta) goes to a platform you're not planning to buy.

Bittercup

Still no release date for the PS3 version but at least some interesting facts from the producer Ryan Warden on twitter:

regarding ME1:
"some things (including, but not limited to: texture popping, overall performance) are improved on the PS3"
"well, "new coat of paint" isn't quite fair. But "remake" implies way more. It's... a port. ME1 engine with ME2 PS3 touch-ups"
https://twitter.com/LesPaulDuJour/status/252893678354460672

and rather vague
"We're trying to retain the classic experience, but make some targeted fixes"
https://twitter.com/LesPaulDuJour/status/252892325527822336

but no deeper changes like the new combat system
"it doesn't have ME3-style combat. It plays like the classic ME1"
https://twitter.com/LesPaulDuJour/status/252145685460312064

and the PS3 version is made with help of Edge of Reality (they already helped with the console ports of Dragon Age Origins)
"yeah, we're working closely with Edge of Reality for ME1 PS3. Performance feels really good overall"
https://twitter.com/LesPaulDuJour/status/251762322668933120

Melchiah

Still no release date for the PS3 version but at least some interesting facts from the producer Ryan Warden on twitter:

regarding ME1:
"some things (including, but not limited to: texture popping, overall performance) are improved on the PS3"
"well, "new coat of paint" isn't quite fair. But "remake" implies way more. It's... a port. ME1 engine with ME2 PS3 touch-ups"

Great news!

regarding ME1:

and rather vague

but no deeper changes like the new combat system
"it doesn't have ME3-style combat. It plays like the classic ME1"
https://twitter.com/LesPaulDuJour/status/252145685460312064

and the PS3 version is made with help of Edge of Reality (they already helped with the console ports of Dragon Age Origins)
"yeah, we're working closely with Edge of Reality for ME1 PS3. Performance feels really good overall"
https://twitter.com/LesPaulDuJour/status/251762322668933120

BW, give me a fixed 360 version of ME1 and I'll buy the whole package...

and rather vague
Such a pity they didn't take that attitude when making 2 and 3 :p .

I have to admit I am curious about what they are doing with this Trilogy. As far as I can tell it is offering nothing of value to PC and Xbox users since you can pick up all three games separately and cheaper.

It is a missed opportunity that they couldn't find some man power to do an "improved" Mass Effect 1 for the PC and Xbox they certainly would have got my money. I would have happily paid and played an enhanced ME 1 again.

I am also curious about the fact they are umming and ahhing on the PS3 DLC. The original Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 came with a crapload of DLC for free. The way Bioware and EA are behaving towards the PS3 version it's like well ..... erm do you think they will actually have the balls to remove the DLC from the PS3 version and put it up for sale ?

Ah well we shall see what we shall see, but I get the feeling this Trilogy is going to go down like a lead balloon.

Top Bottom