• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive discount on Rock Band DLC tracks this week (over 1,100 songs)

jgkspsx

$40 loaded into the account. Including, appropriately, the last one of these they had at Best Buy:

AraUjl.jpg

These probably won't hit until 3AM, will they? I'd hate to miss The Who and Doolittle.

Does it seem to anybody else that by doing this more often, they might have staved off the death of the genre? Just a thought. The sheer cost of DLC over the number of tracks has always made me think twice, and I've gotta be in the top 1% of fans.

Awesome, I bought the pro guitar at buy.com for 48 bucks just a few days ago.

You cannot use that with these. Actually, some old songs have had pro guitar parts added. But only a tiny fraction.

I'm pretty sure one of the queen packs on sale is not the one I own.
If you care about RB3, make sure not to buy songs that were remastered for RB3! It's not worth the discount to be missing harmonies and keys, IMO...

So $15/90= $0.17. So do you expect them to keep a staff working on this in between disc releases every week over 5 years and sell the songs at $0.17 each?

I'm curious what you reasonably expect. It's one thing to expect good value for your money, it's another to be completely out of touch with what it takes to deliver content, and have ridiculous expectations. I'm surprised companies still want to stay in the industry when a large portion its customer base has no understanding of what's reasonable, and makes a stink as a result.

If they were able to do it for 5 years straight, I dont see why not.

Ridley327

Even the sale price is a ripoff.

Remember the days when you could get 90 songs for $15 when the disks were on sale?

Yeah, those were the days when people actually gave a shit about music games. I wonder why.

So let me get this straight: rather than other things like the barrier of entry for each installment being raised higher and higher with new instruments, an absolute glut of full-priced expansions for bands that did not need them in too short a time period, and the surge of popularity of far less resource-intensive dancing games, you think that people stopped buying fake plastic instrument rhythm games because they didn't see the value proposition of DLC?

ledman

OMG I don't play RB or GH since the ps2, I didn't know how many awesome songs this game got, maybe some day I will buy it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You can, but you would honestly be better off trying to play guitar with the drums than you would with the Mustang.
Yeah, it's a bad way to play the game normally.

Did they ever fix it so that you could use the Mustang to control the menus at least? That was a silly oversight anyway.

And looking at the list... yeah, it's all pre-RB3 songs there I think. Was hoping to get back into Pro-Guitar with some new tracks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, you technically can play normal guitar with the Mustang, but... it didn't go so well for me. I really liked the Mustang, mind you, it's just really hard to play normal guitar on it if you're used to the normal guitars.

Keep in mind that pro guitar is an extra-cost upgrade regardless of anything. Some older DLC has had pro guitar upgrades. Specifically the ones that say "Pro Guitar/Bass" (and not Core) in this list.

How does that work? Can you buy the upgraded version of the song, or do you actually need the original song in order to upgrade it?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wow, only one P.O.D. song from a band that has 10+ albums.

There's three actually, but only one will be discounted as it was pre-RB3. That's the theme with the sale, all the DLC released before Rock Band 3. So, everything from November 20th 2007 to October 19th 2010.

jgkspsx

How does that work? Can you buy the upgraded version of the song, or do you actually need the original song in order to upgrade it?

You need to own the original song in order to upgrade it. The upgrade costs $0.99/80 points. So a pro song in this sale would cost $2 or less.

Ridley327

You need to own the original song in order to upgrade it. The upgrade costs $0.99/80 points. So a pro song in this sale would cost $2 or less.

Basically, a Pro upgrade swaps out the 5-button highway for the proper fingering highway. Any DLC has the ability to potentially do this. There are apparently issues with doing this for exported tracks from the main games (hence why they only work with the RB3 versions of those songs), but I don't know if that's ever been truly substantiated.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I love RB3 and drums so much, but I suck at the drum pedal. I play Lego rock band just to turn on 'auto kick' :(

I wish they'd patch that in to RB3, because pro drums arent supported in LRB (least the cymbals arent)

Plus my guitars are slowly dying and nobody sells them anymore

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I love RB3 and drums so much, but I suck at the drum pedal. I play Lego rock band just to turn on 'auto kick' :(

I wish they'd patch that in to RB3, because pro drums arent supported in LRB (least the cymbals arent)

Plus my guitars are slowly dying and nobody sells them anymore

What kind of pedal do you use? Stock Rb kit or ion?

If you can stomach the price, I recommend getting a destroyer pedal. It's immensely easier to use than the stock pedals and has definitely upped my game. Makes the experience that much more enjoyable as well.

FyreWulff

Basically, a Pro upgrade swaps out the 5-button highway for the proper fingering highway. Any DLC has the ability to potentially do this. There are apparently issues with doing this for exported tracks from the main games (hence why they only work with the RB3 versions of those songs), but I don't know if that's ever been truly substantiated.

So far it's impossible to upgrade the export songs because they don't have a store entry. Song has to have a store entry to let you buy a pro upgrade for it, because they didn't want people buying the Pro upgrade and thinking they got the entire song.

In theory I guess they could release a Pro Upgrade Pack for exports that pros up an entire export at once, or somehow show a store entry for the export songs.

But yeah, otherwise it's possible for any song to get a pro upgrade, in theory.

Also of note

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/24321549/#Comment_24321549

quovadis13 on the Penny Arcade Forums says the live stream announced a goal for Blitz that will show up and give you 160msp for completing it.

jgkspsx

If I miss out on the Who or Doolittle packs, I'm going to be very sad. Does anybody know for sure if there are only limited quantities of the sale songs?

Lord Phol

This sure is tempting, even considering buy rock band 3 with the keyboard for this. Only got the first one wich I rarely play.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
If I miss out on the Who or Doolittle packs, I'm going to be very sad. Does anybody know for sure if there are only limited quantities of the sale songs?

I'm pretty sure the price drop is permanent, Henry's indicated the 'while supplies last' bit was him joking around.

Hop

I thought they said the sale is only a week long? Now I'm confused.

I think that confusion came about because it's starting "this week" (due to variable date roll-outs) and usually DLC deals are a week long. They've officially said that they've said nothing official about when it'll end, so it's likely to be permanent or at least a good length of time.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I think that confusion came about because it's starting "this week" (due to variable date roll-outs) and usually DLC deals are a week long. They've officially said that they've said nothing official about when it'll end, so it's likely to be permanent or at least a good length of time.

Oh, well that's awesome. An easier way to get all the pre-RB3 DLC for those that missed out. Like me.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Yeah, you technically can play normal guitar with the Mustang, but... it didn't go so well for me. I really liked the Mustang, mind you, it's just really hard to play normal guitar on it if you're used to the normal guitars.

Keep in mind that pro guitar is an extra-cost upgrade regardless of anything. Some older DLC has had pro guitar upgrades. Specifically the ones that say "Pro Guitar/Bass" (and not Core) in this list.

Thanks for all the advice provided re the Mustang in this thread.

jgkspsx

Henry's posts sure make it sound like a temporary drop. What evidence is there that it's permanent?

XShagrath

Henry's posts sure make it sound like a temporary drop. What evidence is there that it's permanent?
The "while supplies last" line?

Although the same wording is used on the DLC Code Challenge for Blitz, and it's been said there's 2000 360 codes, and 500 PSN codes. I'd say get what you can while you can, because the price could jump back up next week.

FyreWulff

Still no price drops? Or are they just gone?

I see them active on Live. Blitz even has a new store category labeled "Sale!" that brings up all the RB1/2 era DLC only, and I see the big Hendrix album marked as 800msp, etc.

I'd be interested to hear one day how they pulled this off. Getting 3 platform holders (MS, Sony, Nintendo) to allow you to cut price on DLC, across so many artists at the same time, across so many pieces of content.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
The sale is busted on 360 at the moment, at least for me. A fair amount of the items on sale have the discounted price listed in the Rock Band store, but when the system-wide "Confirm Purchase" menu pops up, the original price is listed.

For example, Legend and Are You Experienced? have the correct sale price of 800 points on the purchase menu, but Axis: Bold as Love is listed at 800 points on the Rock Band store, but when it comes time to actually purchase it, the price is still the original 1600 points. The same goes for many individual songs and song packs too.

I would imagine that it will take some time for all of the prices to correct themselves, because Microsoft has never faced a challenge on Xbox Live such as altering the prices on over a thousand items simultaneously. So give it some time to hopefully get all fixed, but until then, buyer beware!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, some of the prices are still full price.

Also, I hate that searching for stuff on xbox.com brings up all the Guitar Hero stuff as well. lol

pacman85

so is there any good way to only view the songs that are on sale and have any sort of filtering options? i was just curious about a few things. like what the newest songs released in this list of songs on sale. also, which songs have any sort of harmony or pro-guitar support. the perfect scenario would be able to tell me if i haven't already downloaded them too but i doubt i can get that since that would have to be something on the xbox marketplace which wouldn't have any filtering options on instruments used in songs, etc. 1,100+ songs is just a lot to look through on either the xbox marketplace or the list posted in this thread.

so is there any good way to only view the songs that are on sale and have any sort of filtering options? i was just curious about a few things. like what the newest songs released in this list of songs on sale. also, which songs have any sort of harmony or pro-guitar support. the perfect scenario would be able to tell me if i haven't already downloaded them too but i doubt i can get that since that would have to be something on the xbox marketplace which wouldn't have any filtering options on instruments used in songs, etc. 1,100+ songs is just a lot to look through on either the xbox marketplace or the list posted in this thread.
RBBlitz has that filter up (it's under in the game under music store as "SALE"), havn't booted up RB3 to see if that's the case.

Hop

The newest will be the Jimmy Eat World pack that came out right before RB3. All the sale content is pre-RB3 content. Which means none of it (aside from some Green Day and Pearl Jam tracks) have harmonies. As for Pro Guitar, anything on this list that has DLC in red is on sale (as it's legacy DLC). ...Except for a couple Blitz songs that show up there, for some reason.

Do you have to buy Blitz to be able to use the store in it?

Blitz store = RB3 store.

Top Bottom