• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive discount on Rock Band DLC tracks this week (over 1,100 songs)

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Oh, that's different from the actual Blitz game demo thing that you can download?

Naw, sorry. What I mean is, the in-game store for Blitz is the same as the in-game store for RB3. So you don't really need Blitz, as the RB3 store is the same thing. (That said, I haven't checked if the SALE category exists on RB3, but since they have all the same categories and sorting and content I suspect it would.)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Naw, sorry. What I mean is, the in-game store for Blitz is the same as the in-game store for RB3. So you don't really need Blitz, as the RB3 store is the same thing. (That said, I haven't checked if the SALE category exists on RB3, but since they have all the same categories and sorting and content I suspect it would.)
Hah, I guess I could just easily check when I get back.

I guess expecting The Beatles packs to be part of the sale would be too much... oh well.
Did they actually release DLC for that? I thought after it bombed, they let it die a quiet death.

FyreWulff

Did they actually release DLC for that? I thought after it bombed, they let it die a quiet death.

Beatles didn't bomb. Beatles DLC is their highest and fastest selling DLC out of the entire Rock Band family of games. Even over Metallica.

They released three albums. Think it was Rubber Soul, Revolver, and Abbey Road.

I don't think it was Revolver, wasn't it Sgt Peppers?

edit: and All You Need Is Love as a single.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Didn't Beatles under perform?

But anyway, I apologize for even mentioning it. As someone who actually owns the silly Beatles drums and guitar, it just never occurred to me to check for DLC after I finished the game. Go figure. The lack of an export probably has a lot to do with that to be honest, but that's opening up yet another can of worms.

FyreWulff

Didn't Beatles under perform?

But anyway, I apologize for even mentioning it. As someone who actually owns the silly Beatles drums and guitar, it just never occurred to me to check for DLC after I finished the game. Go figure. The lack of an export probably has a lot to do with that to be honest, but that's opening up yet another can of worms.

It sold less than the Guitar Hero that it came out against. It still sold a lot though.

Now Green Day.. Green Day didn't do well. I think that was the end of any band-centric disc titles. But I also guess the disc release was probably the only to get some of those songs.

edit: that was also around the same month that Activision sent Guitar Hero: Van Halen out to die. That month was the last band centric disc release for both sides, now that I think about it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It sold less than the Guitar Hero that it came out against. It still sold a lot though.

Now Green Day.. Green Day didn't do well. I think that was the end of any band-centric disc titles. But I also guess the disc release was probably the only to get some of those songs.

edit: that was also around the same month that Activision sent Guitar Hero: Van Halen out to die. That month was the last band centric disc release for both sides, now that I think about it.

Actually, Guitar Hero Van Halen was officially released December 22nd 2009. You could tell they had no faith in this one since they gave it away free with copies of GH5.
Green Day Rock Band came out June 8th 2010. Though this was in the middle of the rhythm game crash caused by Activision. Either way, both games bombed. The only reason to get Green Day is if you're scoping out all the songs because they're exportable into RB3.

FyreWulff

Huh. That's weird, for some reason my memory places Green Day as coming out that holiday.

edit: oh I think I'm confusing my memory of it being announced with when it actually came out.

either way Green Day sold something like 70k across all 3 platforms. And yeah, I'll still never understand why Activison just did.. what they did with Van Halen with the giving it away for free then releasing it with no fanfare later on.

BatDan

Huh. That's weird, for some reason my memory places Green Day as coming out that holiday.

edit: oh I think I'm confusing my memory of it being announced with when it actually came out.

either way Green Day sold something like 70k across all 3 platforms. And yeah, I'll still never understand why Harmonix just didn't do what Activsion did with Van Halen with the giving it away for free then releasing it with no fanfare later on.

Fixed that. Every Guitar Hero since III was by Activsion/Neversoft/Beenox/VV. Every Rock Band was by Harmonix and whoever else was in charge.

As for why, no idea. I thought it was a bad idea to follow up The Beatles, considered one of the greatest rock bands of all time, with Green Day.

FyreWulff

I'm not sure what you mean by the fixed.. I know who did what.

Up until it came out, Green Day (same podcast again, hah) was their #1 requested artist for their request form. Not even a specific song, just people typing in "Green Day".

edit: back on the sales topic, everyone needs to pick up the Cars album.

Anyone else having a weird thing where the RB store says 80 points yet the Xbox tries to charge me the full price? I'm in the UK if that changes things.

BatDan

I'm not sure what you mean by the fixed.. I know who did what.

Up until it came out, Green Day (same podcast again, hah) was their #1 requested artist for their request form. Not even a specific song, just people typing in "Green Day".

Huh. That explains why they got an exclusive game with 47 tracks, including two entire albums. Plus, the six songs released as DLC.

Anyone else having a weird thing where the RB store says 80 points yet the Xbox tries to charge me the full price? I'm in the UK if that changes things.

I'm getting that too, and I'm in the US. Hmmm.

Ridley327

Huh. That explains why they got an exclusive game with 47 tracks, including two entire albums. Plus, the six songs released as DLC.

The crazy part is that if I'm remembering correctly, Green Day was the most requested artist back when they were doing Guitar Hero, as well.

People really like playing the same three chords, I guess.

This sure is tempting, even considering buy rock band 3 with the keyboard for this. Only got the first one wich I rarely play.

If you're anywhere near interested in playing the keyboard, I'd really recommend this. It's a excellent instrument for playing Pro tracks, as it's very much like the real thing. Only problem is that half the DLC doesn't have keyboard tracks. On the other hand you have some huge piano-centric DLC packs like Billy Joel and Queen. I'm also looking at Amberian Dawn, they have a ton of opera rock with lots of piano.

Once I can play a few songs reliably on Expert Pro, I'm gonna try the same on a real keyboard and see if the notes you play are actually the correct ones.

strobogo

Banned
Van Halen was so disappointing. The complete shut out of any Van Hagar was absolutely ridiculous. And the non VH songs were weird, didn't really fit in with the game, and were tracks that had been in previous games. Plus, all of those VH songs were never exported to other games and that's a bummer. They could have waited a bit and put some of the songs from the new album (which was surprisingly awesome), throw in a handful of the best Van Hagar songs, and it could have been great.

FyreWulff

If you're anywhere near interested in playing the keyboard, I'd really recommend this. It's a excellent instrument for playing Pro tracks, as it's very much like the real thing. Only problem is that half the DLC doesn't have keyboard tracks. On the other hand you have some huge piano-centric DLC packs like Billy Joel and Queen. I'm also looking at Amberian Dawn, they have a ton of opera rock with lots of piano.

Once I can play a few songs reliably on Expert Pro, I'm gonna try the same on a real keyboard and see if the notes you play are actually the correct ones.

They are, just sometimes in a different octave due to the Pro Keys' limited range.

Here's a video of me playing Whiter Shade of Pale via MIDI on a real piano. Not the greatest sound back on that Casio but you get the idea

Hop

People really like playing the same three chords, I guess.

I think it's partly because people are 'worse' at the game than most hardcore players suspect (it was famously noted that the vast majority stop at Medium). Green Day helps you feel like a master, 'cause they're relatively easy without being blatantly easy. Drums are a slightly different matter, of course.

BatDan

I think it's partly because people are 'worse' at the game than most hardcore players suspect (it was famously noted that the vast majority stop at Medium). Green Day helps you feel like a master, 'cause they're relatively easy without being blatantly easy. Drums are a slightly different matter, of course.

Couldn't they at least request fun easy songs? Ones that would be great for parties? That's the reason the game was made in the first place really.

Getting to Expert isn't easy though, I'll give it that. I used to be able to handle it. After four years of not playing I'm extremely rusty, and fall back on Hard for the higher tier stuff.

Hop

Still nothing?!

Edit: I see some individual tracks have been marked down. Jeez.

It's still pretty hit-or-miss. Godzilla and The Sounds of Silence aren't down, but Peace of Mind and Listen to the Music were no problem.

jgkspsx

Lots of individual tracks are down. Are You Experienced and Moving Pictures were the only albums I've found marked down so far.

Juliana Hatfield's "Nirvana" is awesome. Never heard it before. Bought.

Is the Nirvana Bleach pack not included?

Hop

Lots of individual tracks are down. Are You Experienced and Moving Pictures were the only albums I've found marked down so far.

Juliana Hatfield's "Nirvana" is awesome. Never heard it before. Bought.

Is the Nirvana Bleach pack not included?

If it's pre-RB3, it's included, so yes that pack is.

I3rand0

Is there anywhere on YouTube you can look at the charts for these songs? I really want to check out the Expert Guitar charts before I buy some of these.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is there anywhere on YouTube you can look at the charts for these songs? I really want to check out the Expert Guitar charts before I buy some of these.
The last time I was serious about Rock Band, I remember someone who had bought all the DLC and did expert guitar on each track... only to have his entire get DMCA'ed. :/

But anyhow, I have to imagine that other people replaced him in the interim.

What are those pads you have on your Ion set? Do they replace the stock rubber pads or lay on top of them?

They are mesh heads. I modded them so that they'd be a bit quieter. It worked for a little while, but would always make a metal clang as I mashed my sticks on it, so I change it around slightly. Still has the mesh heads, but now no clanging noise.

You.

I like you.

Thanks, I think? ;p

They are, just sometimes in a different octave due to the Pro Keys' limited range.

Here's a video of me playing Whiter Shade of Pale via MIDI on a real piano. Not the greatest sound back on that Casio but you get the idea

Cool, then I guess I'll impress dad this Christmas when I bring the kit home. It's great to start playing hard/expert versions after doing medium/hard for so long. Songs get exponentially more fun on hard.

I only do well on expert for 0 or 1 star songs currently, but then again Piano Man doesn't seem any more impossible on expert now than it did on hard before.

jgkspsx

C'mon, man. This waiting is the hardest part. It's no fun, my babe, no fun. If they don't get the discounts applied soon, I expect a riot.

BatDan

Looking through the Blitz music store, I can confirm that Bob Marley's "Legend" now has the discount. As does "Are You Experienced". I can't confirm "Moving Pictures" since I already own that one.
But bascially, most of the albums and the bigger packs (like Iron Maiden, Queen, CCR and Spinal Tap) do not have the discount. Quite the sale huh guys?

jgkspsx

A bunch of tracks dropped in price overnight, but still not all of them. And none of the packs I'm waiting for did.

Note: The 3-packs cost $3, so you can just buy the individual songs. It's even cheaper that way on PSN.

Mister Game

Project Director, Harmonix
Microsoft told us that it would take a while for their system to run through all the changes. We're altering 1100 pieces of DLC, which is way more than most games even have. Plus there are caching issues sometimes with the Xbox content because they distribute data amongst many severs.

At any rate, all of it SHOULD be working properly now.

BatDan

It seems the sale prices do work, despite saying otherwise. I picked up an 880 Point pack and was only deducted 440. But I hear that you still need the correct points or else it won't accept it. Like you want to pick up a 1600 Point pack, you still need 1600 points despite only need 800. It's weird.

Mister Game

More info from our Music Producers:

Apparently people are being charged the correct amount, despite the fact that the purchase dialog has the old prices. We're in contact with Microsoft and are working on the issue. It appears that the change is simply taking much longer than anticipated. About half the items are showing correctly.

We are trying to speed things up, but worst case if we can't figure out a quicker fix things will work themselves out over the next 24 hours or so.

pacman85

i sure hope these are permanent price drops and not just a week sale considering the prices still aren't straightened out yet near the middle of day 2 of the sale. i am holding off getting anything until i get confirmation that every price is good to go and i can see the sale price on my screen. hopefully they won't just ask customers to just go ahead and purchase the pack even though it says you are paying the regular price and it has all the fine print there too like "no refunds" and "all sales are final".

Gaspode_T

I echo the request for these to be permanent price drops, would be much tempting to buy more over time. Would basically spend more money in the long run.

Mister Game

i sure hope these are permanent price drops and not just a week sale considering the prices still aren't straightened out yet near the middle of day 2 of the sale. i am holding off getting anything until i get confirmation that every price is good to go and i can see the sale price on my screen. hopefully they won't just ask customers to just go ahead and purchase the pack even though it says you are paying the regular price and it has all the fine print there too like "no refunds" and "all sales are final".

I totally understand, and from a support perspective, our community team would rather that you waited until everything was sorted out as well.

Z_Y

I sure would like to buy some tracks but every time I find a song that I want and click through to purchase...it still shows up as 160 msp.

Still no official word on when this sale ends?

domlolz

Banned
it's so crazy how the market for these games exploded and completely disappeared within a few years thanks to over saturation lol

Top Bottom