• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive EVE online battle, 10 hours, 2000 players, 57 dead titans.

... Shit, and if 57 titans are dead I can only imagine how many smaller ships are gone. It's like watching countless hours of people's effort go up in smoke.

92 titans now. There are still hundreds of supercarriers and dreadnoughts and carriers that will start dying once all the titans from one side are gone.

All because one guy forgot to pay rent? Sheesh..

iB6JjNGJ5ry8Y.gif

I think we are seeing how civilisation will end 1000 years in the future.

So. How much of this money being lost was real-world money that people put into the game?

In other words, did this in-game currency come from real-world assets or mostly in-game assets? If a Titan is $4k, what percentage of that was real money?

Is that system, rich in resources, a game wide trading point, a massive strategic striking point, a central access point or some/all of the above? If so, no wonder they went to war over it.

I meant region, KingGiddra, apologies.

It was Pandemic Legions's staging system so losing it means hundreds of billions off isk worth of assets are trapped. Not to mention its a prime location to launch an invasion of the whole region.

So. How much of this money being lost was real-world money that people put into the game?

In other words, did this in-game currency come from real-world assets or mostly in-game assets? If a Titan is $4k, what percentage of that was real money?

Depends on the individual pilot. Some EVE players are successful in real life and a few thousand dollars is nothing, funding everything through their own money. Other players master the art of scamming and steal their way to a titan. It all depends on the player.

Scum

It's a strategic point. You can use that system to invade areas around it and more quickly take over the region. I wouldn't say that area of space is resource rich, or even that good. Goonswarm already owns the "good" space. Now they're taking over their opponents space to end the war. A buffer satellite state would be installed here after all is said and done should Goonswarm finish the region.

Goonswarm entered the war for no reason other than they had nothing to do. The Russians were fighting N3 over the area months ago and Goonswarm decided to join. They really don't have much of a stake in it either way, just another opponent to tackle.

Oh wow.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
"If this was a dick flopping on your face it would literally break your neck."

I understand Eve Online now. Thanks for the stream and heads up OP.

I was trying to look at the stream and I just cannot fathom how that can be enjoyable AT all... perhaps it is actually seemingly realistic, but it is perhaps the biggest snore of a game. The fact that it probably takes someone a year all up to build a Titan and so many have been lost... man that's some serious hurt.

tbm24

Sounds like PL is expecting to lose everything.
Already talking about rebuilding their fleet.
It's nice that this is their reaction to losing their fleet. Brings everything back to EVE being a game/hobby for these folks. Being a space captain/pilot must be tons of fun.

Armaros

It's nice that this is their reaction to losing their fleet. Brings everything back to EVE being a game/hobby for these folks. Being a space captain/pilot must be tons of fun.

PL are ridiculously rich, while they can afford to replace their fleet, it will take time, time that CFC can use to take territory over.

Each titan lost today takes 2 months to build.

tbm24

PL are ridiculously rich, while they can afford to replace their fleet, it will take time, time that CFC can use to take territory over.

Each titan lost today takes 2 months to build.
That should make the next battle as PL reclaims territory all the more epic. It's nice that their reaction to defeat is build more shit to blow up more shit later. Space warfare is a beautiful thing.

With people talking about the in-game money cost, hasn't there been some crazy player made banks started and closed taking trillions of game dollars with them? I vaguely remember reading about some the last time a thread like this came up.

Skeyser

How rich are the people playing this game? If I had a 4k USD ship you can be damn sure I wouldn't risk it getting destroyed.

Armaros

With people talking about the in-game money cost, hasn't there been some crazy player made banks started and closed taking trillions of game dollars with them? I vaguely remember reading about some the last time a thread like this came up.

There was a person that opened a player-run bank, filled it up with money from all over and then just packed up and left. All standard Eve procedure.

How rich are the people playing this game? If I had a 4k USD ship you can be damn sure I wouldn't risk it getting destroyed.

There are people that can brush off multi-billion ISK loses. The two big superpowers, CFC+co and N3PL, probably make over a trillion ISK a month to fund their expenses + save money for war time.

EVE traditionally attracts an older player. A lot of players are middle-aged males in IT with lots of disposable income. That's not to say everyone uses money to play the game. Plenty of people master in-game economics, becoming filthy rich.

akira28

If there was a game with all this economy and piracy stuff, but you could have Halo 2/3 style gameplay on top of all the menu gameplay...it would be the best thing ever.

too vivid. You'd have people getting super involved and end up doing real life drive bys on people's homes after a major loss.

too vivid. You'd have people getting super involved and end up doing real life drive bys on people's homes after a major loss.

DUST 514 adds some of that. It's the FPS portion of EVE, but it falls flat in the actual gameplay department. I'd definitely recommend avoiding it for the foreseeable future. It's F2P on PS3, though so you might want to check it out.

Armaros

About that...in Eves ancient history when the one of the first titans was on the field and they still have their AoE Doomsday device. One leader of a major corporation tried to get the current leader CFC, The Mittani, when he was just part of Goons to cut the power to the house of the enemy leader inside the titan they were fighting. Luckily for Mittens, that plan never went through because of other events that occurred.

Armaros

So what is going on right now? Is anyone pulling out any time soon or are they just going until one fleet is completely obliterated?

PL is evacuating what they can atm, but alot of their big ships are trapped in bubbles (think anti-warp traps) and can't get out, so PL's smaller ships have to say to fight to try to let them escape while CFC kills them all.

So what is going on right now? Is anyone pulling out any time soon or are they just going until one fleet is completely obliterated?

Each side is winding down and extracting. There is a patch in a few hours, so not too much will be going on for awhile. People will be preparing in case the patch has any sort of problems and requires extended downtime.

... Shit, and if 57 titans are dead I can only imagine how many smaller ships are gone. It's like watching countless hours of people's effort go up in smoke.

Just like in R/L eventually you have to actually put a vehicle of war in combat. Otherwise , why build anything but a mining ship and freighters

Jabba

Banned
EVE traditionally attracts an older player. A lot of players are middle-aged males in IT with lots of disposable income. That's not to say everyone uses money to play the game. Plenty of people master in-game economics, becoming filthy rich.

So there would be no risk alienation/fallout if you refused to help? Would that depend on your alliance corporation? I'm probably wrong but the game at times might be, militaristic?

Zynx

I wonder if CCP will now do a big nerf to supercapitals now that one side of this giant conflict has lost a huge chunk of theirs.

Armaros

So there would be no risk alienation/fallout if you refused to help? Would that depend on your alliance corporation. I'm probably wrong but the game at times might be, militaristic?

There are complicated politics and economics that go into the game 'meta', alliances form and break throughout Eve's history. But alot of people never get involved in the null-sec fighting, there are gigantic corps that do nothing but make money in Empire (the portion of NPC controlled space that is uncontrollable by players and guarded by Concord (space police))

Zynx

It's a strategic point. You can use that system to invade areas around it and more quickly take over the region. I wouldn't say that area of space is resource rich, or even that good. Goonswarm already owns the "good" space. Now they're taking over their opponents space to end the war. A buffer satellite state would be installed here after all is said and done should Goonswarm finish the region.

Goonswarm entered the war for no reason other than they had nothing to do. The Russians were fighting N3 over the area months ago and Goonswarm decided to join. They really don't have much of a stake in it either way, just another opponent to tackle.

Well, you have to consider they entered a war against an enemy that has been trying to destroy them and fuck them over for years. Their stakes are revenge.

I wonder if CCP will now do a big nerf to supercapitals now that one side of this giant conflict has lost a huge chunk of theirs.

Lol. Nah this is just how it played out. With China now decimated, America will spread its influence to more systems and do more back alley deals until the next conflict.

At this point the coalition basically won Eve lol. They will be able to gather so many resources and build so many ships and control so many systems it will take internal problems within the organization to take it down. PL was huge and looks like didn't stand a chance in this battle.

This had been building even years ago when I played often. Hundreds of little skirmishes here and there but never that push that caused all out war. Well ....

So there would be no risk alienation/fallout if you refused to help? Would that depend on your alliance corporation? I'm probably wrong but the game at times might be, militaristic?

I'm not sure what you mean. If you're talking about participation in the battle, it would come down to your corporation. For example, the majority of Goonswarm are people that PVE in nullsec. There's a strong core of incredibly competent people in Goonswarm, but they're about getting as many people as possible. No one would bat an eye if you sat and killed rats in the middle of nowhere during this fight.

PL is the opposite end of the spectrum, where they only recruit pilots that already have supercapitals and are self-sufficient. You would be expected to show up to the fight and know exactly what to do when you get there.

are there any famous lone wolves in eve?

Tons. Kil2 was one of the best solo-pvpers in the game. He was hired by CCP a few months ago to help with game balance.

There's an in-game channel dedicated to helping players start solo pvping, "Bringing Solo Back".

Armaros

Lol. Nah this is just how it played out. With China now decimated, America will spread its influence to more systems and do more back alley deals until the next conflict.

At this point the coalition basically won Eve lol. They will be able to gather so many resources and build so many ships and control so many systems it will take internal problems within the organization to take it down. PL was huge and looks like didn't stand a chance in this battle.

CFC wont go for a full out sov invasion of the core territories of N3PL, N3PL got caught with their pants on down and on fire, without the benefit of sov defenses, that wont happen with a full blown invasion.

Top Bottom