• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive EVE online battle, 10 hours, 2000 players, 57 dead titans.

CFC wont go for a full out sov invasion of the core territories of N3PL, N3PL got caught with their pants on down and on fire, without the benefit of sov defenses, that wont happen with a full blown invasion.

But with a decimated fleet, full blown invasion would happen if I ran things. Enemy down and out. I would be organizing and hitting dozens of territories a day if possible.

Hit em when they are broken spirited and stunned. See what happens. Have fun in the process. What else is there to do? Build more ships? Woohoo

But with a decimated fleet, full blown invasion would happen if I ran things. Enemy down and out. I would be organizing and hitting dozens of territories a day if possible.

PL has by no means lost their entire fleet or even the majority of it. This was definitely a decisive battle, but it would be a mistake to overreach. You must remember that Goonswarm already owns 2/3 of all Nullsec. When Goonswarm moves, it's slow and deliberate- especially against PL. We'll see some effects of this in the coming days.

Armaros

Hit em when they are broken spirited and stunned. See what happens. Have fun in the process. What else is there to do? Build more ships? Woohoo

Fighting in a zone where the playing field is mostly equal is very much different from a full siege defense where full Sov Defenses mean the defender control when cap ships can enter a system.

Jabba

Banned
I'm not sure what you mean. If you're talking about participation in the battle, it would come down to your corporation. For example, the majority of Goonswarm are people that PVE in nullsec. There's a strong core of incredibly competent people in Goonswarm, but they're about getting as many people as possible. No one would bat an eye if you sat and killed rats in the middle of nowhere during this fight.

PL is the opposite end of the spectrum, where they only recruit pilots that already have supercapitals and are self-sufficient. You would be expected to show up to the fight and know exactly what to do when you get there.

I should have been clearer. I was thinking, that in a time of declared war, for a corp that has decided to fight, if they needed/wanted you to fight and you refuse. Could there be fallout for not fighting?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
PL sounds so much cooler. It's a shame they're down and out. Who wants the masses to beat the select elite? Weak. What would be more awesome is a tight group of a dozen or so who are just so good they're unbeatable. Some kind of pirate, maverick group.

This game sounds like so much fun. Sounds.

PL sounds so much cooler. It's a shame they're down and out. Who wants the masses to beat the select elite? Weak. What would be more awesome is a tight group of a dozen or so who are just so good they're unbeatable. Some kind of pirate, maverick group.

Hundreds of groups like this heh. The best time you can have is with a group of 20-40 well organized guys in Destroyers and little tier 2 frigates wreaking havoc. Hell there are groups that try and control the economy of certain areas by suicide bombing mining craft in the area. Jump in, kill the mining ships in seconds. Get killed by the police in high sec, but deters mining in that area.

I think some groups were so successful at this it really f'ed the entire economy for awhile from what I gear

I should have been clearer. I was thinking, that in a time of declared war, for a corp that has decided to fight, if they needed/wanted you to fight and you refuse. Could there be fallout for not fighting?

It depends on the corporation. A corporation might enact a Call-to-Action, which means if you're online you are required to be in fleet. This is much rarer today and is mostly an artifact of an older time. Some CFC corps supposedly enact CTAs since the CFC doles out rewards to member alliances based on their member participation. It all comes down to who you're flying with.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That sounds amazing. How do you even find a group like that to play with? Do you start off as some low brow, pauper miner and hope to meet a group of mavericks?

There are definitely pirates out there. But it's still risky and time consuming because you don't have the safe moneymaking a big alliance provides and good ships cost a lot of ISK.

Also, do note that even these big fights oftentimes require a lot of setup time and waiting around--and if you get into sovereignty battles it can be downright boring. I shot a lot of structures in my day.

That sounds amazing. How do you even find a group like that to play with? Do you start off as some low brow, pauper miner and hope to meet a group like that?

Much like real life, it's who you know. Sure you can join a miner corp and wallow in your own filth for years.

A popular method is using already formed communities with EVE presence. Using Goonswarm as an example, if you have a SomethingAwful account, you can join Goonswarm. Reddit has numerous corporations from Dreddit to Brave Newbies.

Pretty sure there's no GAF corporation (hint hint to any intrepid would-be CEOs).

Rooks and Kings operates as a small super-elite entitiy. They have tons of videos explaining their small gang tactics. They routinely destroy 250 man fleets with ~10-20 battleships.

Bboy AJ

Part of what makes EVE appealing to me is that you can do many things. You can be a nobody. One day I could pilot frigates as a for hire bum. Or be an Alaska fisherman by mining in the middle of nowhere. Or you can try and be a diplomat, forging alliances and playing politics to make your way up. Then turn on everyone and secede, creating your own faction.

Fair to say this stuff exists? Sounds like a great way to live vicariously with little repercussions. But the learning curve is a little intimidating.

Sure you can join a miner corp and wallow in your own filth for years.
Holy shit that is living the dream

Part of what makes EVE appealing to me is that you can do many things. You can be a nobody. One day I could pilot frigates as a for hire bum. Or be an Alaska fisherman by mining in the middle of nowhere. Or you can try and be a diplomat, forging alliances and playing politics to make your way up. Then turn on everyone and secede, creating your own faction.

Fair to say this stuff exists? Sounds like a great way to live vicariously with little repercussions. But the learning curve is a little intimidating.

You can do all this stuff. My problem was always that the doing boring stuff like making money/fitting ships vs the fun stuff like shooting stuff was always way too high on the boring end.

You've basically grasped exactly why almost everyone plays EVE. It's finding your niche. Sure it's fun to be in a massive battle. I would say after years of experience, nothing is more fun than solo PVP, though. There's such a rush doing 3v1 and coming out on top, I can't even explain it. I know people that love nothing more than creating an industrial empire. Others actually enjoy running missions for rewards from NPCs (only a rumor, cannot confirm).

Yeah in Eve your experience is completely based on what you are willing to do. You can sit back and train mining skills all year if you want and mine all day and make bucketloads of ISK but be bored ( some miners love it though ... Seriously love it ). You can go mine planets and try to perfect the planetary mining system for automated ISK. You can be a weapon / ship / ammo / etc. manufacturer.

Most people want to be able to make 500,000,000 ISK a month so they can purchase PLEX with in game ISK and not pay real money anymore. But it can start feeling like a job more the a game. Your experience is all up to you. Be a miner, pirate, paid by contract mercenary, spec ops pilot, bomber pilot, solo quester, explorer, etc etc

I will start this type of game again with Star Citizen though

Bboy AJ

I'm pretty busy with work these days but should be free in a month or so. Thanks for that Reddit group. I'll join it when I can. I'm going to give EVE a shot, at least. I want to be a degenerate, alcoholic gambler that gets by on shitty, undesirable outsourced work. Then I'll work my way up to a white collared job, eventually making CEO. By God, I will work my way up. Then come crashing down from a terrible heroin addiction.

Living the dream.

I'm pretty busy with work these days but should be free in a month or so. Thanks for that Reddit group. I'll join it when I can. I'm going to give EVE a shot, at least. I want to be a degenerate, alcoholic gambler that gets by on shitty, undesirable outsourced work. Then I'll work my way up to a white collared job, eventually making CEO. By God, I will work my way up. Then come crashing down from a terrible heroin addiction.

Living the dream.

There is no shortage of gambling and drugs in EVE. If that's what you're looking for EVE has it in spades.

Steel

Banned

Holy shit that is living the dream

Keep in mind to get to good mining you gotta go to low/null sec. That's when the pirates come out and eat you.
Yeah... I used to do that.

That being said, that's what corps are for.

Geez, EVE's stories are more exciting than the actual gameplay. I've pretty much sworn off menu/hotkey-based MMOs, I'd rather have something with more actual meat to the gameplay.

Keep in mind to get to good mining you gotta go to low/null sec. That's when the pirates come out and eat you.
Yeah... I used to do that.

That being said, that's what corps are for.

I would use my exploration craft to find rare mineral sites in low population high sec zones. Got pretty good at it too!

But yeah, the real money is in low-null which is when you get into the politics. So many zones but almost all accounted for.

And we haven't even mentioned living in wormhole space either. Now that is truly interesting.

My big accomplishment was starting a company that ran Battlecruisers / Battkeships and T2 frigates into low sec stations. We hired merc groups to run defensive sweeps for our freighters for 20% cuts of overall profit. It got hairy at times but it was hella fun. Building ships from the asteroid fields to the planets and off the assembly lines of the POS's was great.

I just hated seeing low-sec so deAd of an economy all the time. So put in the work to get 10 major stations supplied with weaponry, ships and tactical equipment. Traffic in the area quadrupled fast once people realized they could travel to these stations instead of going another 5 jumps to a high sec station. Was fun.

Orayn

Geez, EVE's stories are more exciting than the actual gameplay. I've pretty much sworn off menu/hotkey-based MMOs, I'd rather have something with more actual meat to the gameplay.

EVE has a lot of "meat" to its gameplay, it's just based more around tactics and coordination than reflexes and action. I don't even deign to say that it's not exciting gameplay, since those huge battles are intense as hell and literally have thousands of real world dollars riding on them.

EVE has enormous meat to its gameplay, it's just based more around tactics and coordination than reflexes and action.

All depends on the caliber of ship you're piloting. Capital ships maneuver like a 90 year old in an SUV. An interceptor is going to be moving at a couple thousand m/s with a microwarpdrive on. You're going to be bobbing and weaving while keeping your ranges and angular velocities in check.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I really hope there's a good sped recording of this thing.

T8qSkDi.jpg

Orayn

All depends on the caliber of ship you're piloting. Capital ships maneuver like a 90 year old in an SUV. An interceptor is going to be moving at a couple thousand m/s with a microwarpdrive on. You're going to be bobbing and weaving while keeping your ranges and angular velocities in check.

Right, I was just trying to capture the general idea that EVE's gameplay isn't bad or nonexistent just because the experience isn't always a white knuckle twitch-heavy action game.

Steel

Banned
I would use my exploration craft to find rare mineral sites in low population high sec zones. Got pretty good at it too!

But yeah, the real money is in low-null which is when you get into the politics. So many zones but almost all accounted for.

And we haven't even mentioned living in wormhole space either. Now that is truly interesting.

My big accomplishment was starting a company that ran Battlecruisers / Battkeships and T2 frigates into low sec stations. We hired merc groups to run defensive sweeps for our freighters for 20% cuts of overall profit. It got hairy at times but it was hella fun. Building ships from the asteroid fields to the planets and off the assembly lines of the POS's was great.

I just hated seeing low-sec so deAd of an economy all the time. So put in the work to get 10 major stations supplied with weaponry, ships and tactical equipment. Traffic in the area quadrupled fast once people realized they could travel to these stations instead of going another 5 jumps to a high sec station. Was fun.

When I was playing low-sec was mostly dead. Did do a few runs in it with my corp as a bodyguard, but I mostly just used low-null sec to ambush lone ships with either a cruiser or my drake. Didn't shoot pods though. Wormholes were fun and time consuming though.

EVE has a lot of "meat" to its gameplay, it's just based more around tactics and coordination than reflexes and action. I don't even deign to say that it's not exciting gameplay, since those huge battles are intense as hell and literally have thousands of real world dollars riding on them.
Hell, ignoring the giant battles there are few things more hectic than getting into a small scale fight where your ship and in-game livelihood are on the line. It gets stressful for sure. Only got involved in two large scale(relatively, they were small in the grand scheme of things though) battles in all my time in eve personally.

Atruvius

It really depends on who you're playing with. You simply cannot play EVE alone while you're trying to learn it. I'd definitely suggest anyone that isn't sure where to go to try out Brave Newbies. There was a pretty good story about BNI a few days ago on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/comments/1w3xpt/the_magic_of_eve_online_a_player_story/

Played Eve online for the first time last year, had a one month sub in May I didn't extend because the game was too good and took too much time. That story made me feel like subbing for one month again. And I only stayed in high-sec when I played...

Played Eve online for the first time last year, had a one month sub in May I didn't extend because the game was too good and took too much time. That story made me feel like subbing for one month again. And I only stayed in high-sec when I played...

I'm also a huge fan of the story. It's wonderful that the background lore of EVE is just as robust as the player made story. In addition to the three novels there are tons of short chronicles and thousands of Wiki articles about the story. What other game explains retirement plans for its members?

Edit: I misread your post, sorry! I guess I should probably head to bed since it's so late. But it definitely makes a difference depending on the group of people you play with!

So I get that a huge battle is happening right now and hundreds of thousands of dollars are being lost. But lets just say that I was controlling a Titan in this battle. What would my gameplay experience be? I find it really hard to understand what actually, mechanically is going on in game.

DUST 514 adds some of that. It's the FPS portion of EVE, but it falls flat in the actual gameplay department. I'd definitely recommend avoiding it for the foreseeable future. It's F2P on PS3, though so you might want to check it out.

Eh, Dust 514's gameplay was pretty bad for a good while but it's actually quite good now in my opinion. They've been doing monthly updates since last July and the game has made a lot of progress in that time span. The next update coming in Mid-February/Early March is probably going to be the biggest one yet.

Can't wait for the day Dust can get involved with stuff at this scale. If you were around for the early days of EVE you'd never guess it'd end up here, so there's hope that Dust will one day move past its role as a lobby shooter.

If anyone is interested in this sort of stuff but want a little more action, Dust 514 really is a good outlet. Like EVE where people are fighting in ships that are actually assets with a cost associated with it, in Dust 514 every suit, every gun, every bit of equipment, and so on is also an asset with a cost associated with it. Of course, this cost is an in-game currency, not real money, but since it is the same currency used in EVE, ISK, and in EVE you can use ISK to buy your subscription to the game, people have come up with ISK to USD conversion rates. Anyways, if you're tired of shooters where dying means nothing past your KDR and want a little more excitement and tension when engaging an enemy in a shoot-out, give Dust a try. It's free after all. And if you use this link to make your character, you will receive some blueprint items, which are basically some low-tier items but you get an infinite amount of them, as well as a skill point booster. Shoot me a PM and I'll squad up with you in-game too if you want.

So I get that a huge battle is happening right now and hundreds of thousands of dollars are being lost. But lets just say that I was controlling a Titan right now. What would my gameplay experience be? I find it really hard to understand what actually, mechanically is going on in game right now.

Each titan has a unique Doomsday device. It boils down to weapon capable of killing a capital ship. You are primarily firing this off the cooldown to destroy as many capitals as possible. In addition to this you will have a rack of dreadnought sized guns which also inflict heavy damage to capitals. While killing things you will be swapping your other 16 modules between active and passive buffs to your damage or tanking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOWNKGzU6TA

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
This is some good stuff, there should be a way to turn EVE battles into a cinematic experience with less HUD, some chat quotes and voice overs.

Steel

Banned
This is some good stuff, there should be a way to turn EVE battles into a cinematic experience with less HUD, some chat quotes and voice overs.

Been a long while since I played, but there's a rather easy to use cinematic camera function in game, if I recall properly, that turns off HUD.

Carcetti

Always fun to read about EVE but the reality of playing is always a bit less exciting. I did some faction warfare and lowsec pirating as a latecomer and most of the time it was just waiting for something to happen or hiding from a superior force. As a solo pirate flying a single small ship the competition was established pirates multiboxing 3 Tengus and Lokis or something.

Randam

So these titans, they cost real money?
You can't build them by just playing the game?

Is it even possible to play and kinda enjoy the game without spending real money?

Carcetti

So these titans, they cost real money?
You can't build them by just playing the game?

Is it even possible to play and kinda enjoy the game without spending real money?

EVE has a monthly fee and but you can pay that with ingame money if you get self-sufficient (not realistic at start)

Jamie OD

I wish Twitch had its own war correspondent for events like these.

Edit: Never mind, the reggae on dnoiz1's channel will do.

DarkFlow

Banned

Living the dream.

The Idea of Eve is always way more fun then the reality.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Each titan has a unique Doomsday device. It boils down to weapon capable of killing a capital ship. You are primarily firing this off the cooldown to destroy as many capitals as possible. In addition to this you will have a rack of dreadnought sized guns which also inflict heavy damage to capitals. While killing things you will be swapping your other 16 modules between active and passive buffs to your damage or tanking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOWNKGzU6TA

Who are you?

Carcetti

And can you build titans/ships/etc just buy playing the game? Or do you have to spend real money for everything?

Nah, real money gets traded into ingame money by trading PLEX which is an ingame item that grants you a month's worth of playtime. Everything else you can get just by playing but it's not really realistic to expect to be flying Titans anytime soon. EVE character skills training happens in real time and very slowly so you'd need like a couple of years to be good at supercapitals.

Top Bottom