• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Gaming YouTube Channels Getting 100s of Flagged Videos Continuously

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
He's no worse than any of the other LPers. Unfortunately by protecting legitimate claims you will also have to protect illegitimate claims. Still, many videos that are being taken down by Youtube are videos that the content creators do give the rights to people in the press to re-post. Usually it stipulates without alterations, but there's too many videos to keep track of and actually know. I assume the content bot is just blanket taking down things and is now much less inclined to exercise caution.

No, he's stealing from gamersyde, among many others.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=77930733&postcount=24

atomsk

Party Pooper
So far none of the 40-ish reviews I've done over the past year have been hit. Maybe it's because of the shoddy way I handle audio (the PIP mix comes from my cell phone camera, and I sync with the game audio and then push that low in the mix)

Or maybe the waves just haven't hit me yet, time will tell.

And slightly off topic but the amount of shitty junior drive-by posts in this and the other content ID thread is staggering.

People just need to host their videos elsewhere. It's not like it isn't trivial for viewers to type in another URL.

Youtube has become so mainstream. Parents, kids, grandparents. Everybody uses it and knows about it. It has such a huge install collection of videos and is pretty easy to use. It'll get dethroned eventually but I don't see it happening for a long time.

All this new website needs to do though is get the cat videos. Get the cats and the people will follow

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
RajmanGamingHD games does both walkthroughs without commentary and trailers. I don't see why he's moaning though since he doesn't even supply commentary.

BTW I also have been talking to Ubisoft who will resolve any issues for people so at least they are acknowledging it.

zakislam

BbMt9ypCEAA75a0.jpg

wanna see how my Gmail account looks in the last 4 hours??? Copyright Claimings everywhere!..now this is FUN FUN FUN

https://twitter.com/TiLMEN/status/410722530597408768

Cyrano

No, he's stealing from gamersyde, among many others.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=77930733&postcount=24
And the original content creators are claiming that they are being stolen from. It's no more insidious, I think. Stealing from people who have others who claim the material in those videos is stolen. It's more of a stealing ouroboros if anything. Or maybe a stoloborous.

The legitimate claim to any of this content is going to be in question from the outset, and while youtube users are free to complain about this, it can only be called hypocrisy if they claim one form of borrowing is legitimate and the other is not. Granted, watermarking stuff that's not yours, claiming it as yours is extremely lazy and not in good faith, but it's no worse or better than the outrage surrounding everyone else's claims.

Or, let me ask you this question: how is RajmanGaming a less legitimate form of free advertising for those who make the videos he's reposting?

ViciousDS

Banned
I got a response by youtube years ago for being a partner for when my DW5 trailer in good quality went huge(it was the only non gamespot trailer at the time and in HQ quality on youtube).

As soon as it says that in order to be a partner you had to own the material you were using I hit the no button.

These people making money off of trailers and little to no editing bullshit should have been gone long ago, and I have no pity on their asses.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
And the original content creators are claiming that they are being stolen from. It's no more insidious, I think. Stealing from people who have others who claim the material in those videos is stolen. It's more of a stealing ouroboros if anything. Or maybe a stoloborous.

The legitimate claim to any of this content is going to be in question from the outset, and while youtube users are free to complain about this, it can only be called hypocrisy if they claim one form of borrowing is legitimate and the other is not. Granted, watermarking stuff that's not yours, claiming it as yours is extremely lazy and not in good faith, but it's no worse or better than the outrage surrounding everyone else's claims.

Or, let me ask you this question: how is RajmanGaming a less legitimate form of free advertising for those who make the videos he's reposting?

He stole the content from gamersyde.com (not youtube).

You know.. I've thought about it long and hard.... and while I've only got a smidge of subscribers (6960) on my channel compared to most of these hardcore youtubers making the dollar bills yall! I've decided... Fuck it. I enjoy making videos, I don't make a living off it. I work a 9-5 IT job, I've always been doing this for the fun of it and that will continue. People want to quite, I understand why. I'm not going to.... nothing has truly changed for me. Good luck to everyone else in their final decisions.

Only if they do it strictly for money and would literally stop making videos if they stopped earning money. There's plenty of gaming channels on Youtube that dont beg for subscribers and are generally cool and not annoying. While also being really respectful to their viewers. Those are the ones I respect and like, those are the ones that I don't mind if they made money that way. The ones I hate are the ones that beg and try all means necessary to get views, and put on the same act over and over again because they know it'll get them views.

Someone named Linkin Park is worried about "sell outs" and over commercialization.

Neat.

I think, that it's ok for them to upload videos, but uploading videos for making money off of you playing is different iys like pretty much ripping from the companies imo. Unless it's like a review or something. People shouldn't be monetizing their own videos when it's all just for fun, I have a video that could have monetized its self with ads and I haven't because it doesn't use my own content even if its just an amv.

ItIsOkBro

I got a response by youtube years ago for being a partner for when my DW5 trailer in good quality went huge(it was the only non gamespot trailer at the time and in HQ quality on youtube).

As soon as it says that in order to be a partner you had to own the material you were using I hit the no button.

These people making money off of trailers and little to no editing bullshit should have been gone long ago, and I have no pity on their asses.

Same here. They were offering to monetize a Gamespot E3 vid I uploaded which now sites at about 7.2 million views. But of course we're not morally bankrupt. I can't believe this RajGaming dude is monetized.

zakislam

YouTube officially responds:

"We recently enabled Content ID scanning on channels identified as affiliates of MCNs [Multi Channel Networks]," a YouTube spokesperson told Polygon. "This has resulted in new copyright claims for some users, based on policies set by the relevant content owners. As ever, channel owners can easily dispute Content ID claims if they believe those claims are invalid."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/11/5200418/youtube-defends-copyright-crackdown

Cyrano

He stole the content from gamersyde.com (not youtube).
And the content from videogames is stolen from videogames, not Youtube. You can't have this argument both ways, unless you're willing to draw up a whole slew of provisions on what is and isn't acceptable behavior. If RajmanGaming is a problem, then I would basically side with Youtube on this and state that all these videos should come down. I do not side with Youtube on this however, and would argue much as the Idea Channel argues this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Zyswk07vg

Even with only very small modifications, they are, for better or worse, independent creations. If this isn't the case however, then the court is the only place where the argument can actually be settled.

Air

Banned
It completely sucks, but that's one problem with overly reliving on fair use (I get as an artist some may want to push boundaries, but I don't really see anything from let's plays that make them guaranteed fair use cases).

Two, in hindsight I guess this was bound to happen, and I think it may cripple YouTube in a way. Still I hope it's resolved, I enjoy watching LP's to pass the time.

I wonder how this is gonna work for game journalist websites that post things on youtube.

Like IGN rewind theaters or what not. I'm pretty sure they're getting some revenue for those.

MegamanNG

Neo Member
There seems to be a misunderstanding. If you're not monetizing videos, the recent changes are not affecting you. Keep the videos coming up.
If you are, then you're doing it for money, not “for the sake of promoting”.

Money is on the side. I do it to have fun but now with this and everyone being affected, it's going to hurt us in the long run.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Yikes, glad I guess I didn't become an affiliate I guess. Haven't gotten any of my videos taken down... yet

Videos aren't taken down (yet) but de-monetized. Completely different. It's just a lot of youtubers who kinda _act_ like their vids are taken down.

That's why it's only stated for affiliates, since non affiliates won't make money anyway.

Beatrix

Wow. This makes me incredibly sad. I don't know how many times I've watch "Let's Play" throughs, or watched boss fights, shit...most of my YouTubing is gaming related. Sigh.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. This makes me incredibly sad. I don't know how many times I've watch "Let's Play" throughs, or watched boss fights, shit...most of my YouTubing is gaming related. Sigh.

It will still be there. Even in the worst case scenario, all users who don't mind not getting stupid rich by their videos can and will continue spreading the goods. Those guys who are in it for the money.. well, that's a different thing, and there are actually a handful ones whom I would honestly feel bad for. The majority, not so much, I'm sorry.

Same for the people starting out. Do videos with original content and you'll be fine and earn money if you're good. Do Letsplays without monetization and you'll be fine.

epmode

I can't wrap my head around people applauding this policy. Do you really think that the publishers are financially hurt by videogame videos? Or are you just resentful of people making money from works produced by other people?

At least Valve has it right: http://www.valvesoftware.com/videopolicy.html
Valve Video Policy
We encourage our users to make videos using Valve game content, such as playthrough or instruction videos or SFM movies. We are fine with publishing these videos to your website or YouTube or similar video sharing services. We're not fine with taking assets from our games (e.g. voice, music, items) and distributing those separately.

Use of our content in videos must be non-commercial. By that we mean you can't charge users to view or access your videos. You also can't sell or license your videos to others for a payment of any kind.

You are free to monetize your videos via the YouTube partner program and similar programs on other video sharing sites. Please don't ask us to write YouTube and tell them its fine with us to post a particular video using Valve content. It's not possible to respond to each such request. Point them to this page.

Of course this policy applies only to Valve content. If you include someone else's content in your video, such as music, you will have to get permission from the owner.

darkpower

Banned
I can't wrap my head around people applauding this policy. Do you really think that the publishers are financially hurt by videogame videos? Or are you just resentful of people making money from works produced by other people?

At least Valve has it right: http://www.valvesoftware.com/videopolicy.html

You're going to have the usual "I'm right just because" people that usually flood serious topics like this on the internet about gaming. It happens all the time (just ask those that try to debate feminism in gaming and Anita Sarkeesian; good lord!).

I don't get the ignorance to certain things, either. It gets ridiculous when every single debate gets dragged down by people who want nothing more than to turn it into a troll bait fest and just give people a hard time.

Arcayne

I don't know guys, even if you don't monetize your video, it seems you can still be flagged for it. This whole situation is just chaotic for both sides of the gaming youtube community: monetized or not monetized.

Speaking of which, if a person is making money off doing his (all of our) hobby i.e. gaming, then we're the suckers for not having jump in the wagon ourselves - its a goldmine out there. Making money off of my favorite hobby? Does it even get any better than that, lol. I respect to those that found a way to live that kind of life while the majority of us work a boring 9-5 job.

MADGAME

What can't you understand? That someone who owns an Intellectual Property has ultimate rights over it, and if someone else is making money from that IP without consent they have a legitimate copyright claim? What if the IP holder such as an Indie Dev is actually financially hurt...is it now okay to enforce copyright law?

If IP holders like Valve, Codemasters, Rebellion, etc are okay with this than that's great, but it is up to them as it should be. They own the thing that others are using to make money.

Randam

so, who actual are these publishers, who dont want people to make money of playing there games?

or are these all false claims?

we need a list.

good and bad.

dakun

What can't you understand? That someone who owns an Intellectual Property has ultimate rights over it, and if someone else is making money from that IP without consent they have a legitimate copyright claim? What if the IP holder such as an Indie Dev is actually financially hurt...is it now okay to enforce copyright law?

If IP holders like Valve, Codemasters, Rebellion, etc are okay with this than that's great, but it is up to them as it should be. They own the thing that others are using to make money.

Indie Devs only ever benefit from youtube really.. have Pewdiepie play an Indie game and promote it to millions of viewers? No Indie dev will ever say no to that.. the sales generated by an Indie game that makes for a good show on youtube is really valuable.. Minecraft popularity would never be as high as it is now without Let's Plays

also i don't see how big publishers suffer from youtube content either.. it's free promotion. If you're game is responsible for a great Let's Play there is no way that doesn't help the game getting some good word of mouth.
And what about reviews that include video from the game?? are you willing to go that extra step and say that Gaming Websites shouldn't be able to make money from those video reviews because it contains footage of games?? This paves the way for exactly those kind of things being flagged and removed..

MADGAME

Indie Devs only ever benefit from youtube really.. have Pewdiepie play an Indie game and promote it to millions of viewers? No Indie dev will ever say no to that.. the sales generated by an Indie game that makes for a good show on youtube is really valuable.. Minecraft popularity would never be as high as it is now without Let's Plays

also i don't see how big publishers suffer from youtube content either.. it's free promotion. If you're game is responsible for a great Let's Play there is no way that doesn't help the game getting some good word of mouth.
And what about reviews that include video from the game?? are you willing to go that extra step and say that Gaming Websites shouldn't be able to make money from those video reviews because it contains footage of games?? This paves the way for exactly those kind of things being flagged and removed..

You could argue free promotion for the game if the YouTuber gives a favorable impression. What if the popular Let's Player shits all over that indie game?

Either way, it isn't a policy open to interpretation, it's copyright law. IP owners can allow it if they want, but if not they have legal rights. Just as you would if someone was using your property to make money without your consent.

Top Bottom