• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master of Magic – 20 years old today, and still in many ways the King of fantasy 4X

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
dn0kV66.jpg

In September of 1994 I bought a new computer game (at a comic book convention of all places) simply because it looked like Civilization and it had a cool looking box. Little did I know it would be a game I'd fall dearly in love with and keep on playing even twenty years down the road. The game was called Master of Magic, MoM for short, created by Simtex and published by a favorite company of mine called Microprose. The first computer game I ever bought was by Microprose, the original Gunship for my C64, but I'd still be playing MoM long after I'd put Gunship to rest.

The Game

Master of Magic is a fantasy turn-based strategy 4X game very similar to the original Civilization but with a few key differences. The player is a wizard attempting to dominate two linked worlds, both randomly generated for each game. From a small starting town the player manages resources, builds cities and armies, and researches spells, growing an empire and fighting the other wizards. The game has fourteen races to choose from and six schools of magic (life, death, chaos, nature, arcane, and sorcery), and the awesome replayability of the game comes from the various combinations you can get from choosing any array of them. You can design your wizard to have lots of spells from just one school of magic or a smathering of several of them but fewer spell choices. You can also choose character traits to aid in war, magic, or governing.

tWBnO8a.gif

The gameplay starts as units explore surroundings, pushing back the strategic map's fog of war. Among the exploration goals are defeating monsters guarding treasure, finding the best locations for new cities, discovering the Towers of Wizardry that link the worlds Arcanus and Myrror, and locating the cities of enemy wizards. Cities are established by settlers, then upgraded by adding buildings improving the economy. Cities produce food, gold and mana. Military units require food and gold upkeep; spellcasters consume mana in combat. At the same time as colonizing territory, new magical spells are researched. Spells are either used in or out of combat.

axuofjE.jpg

InEHaXS.jpg

Battles for squares in the strategic map are resolved in an isometric turn-based view that shows unit positions and the effect of magical spells. These strategic battles are one of the key ways the game is different from Civilization.

t4tRtio.png

There are 86 unit types in the game ranging from generic swordsmen and archers to the more fantastic dragons, griffons, and hydras. Many units have abilities or racial traits like regeneration or even flying. And casting spells on units can make even the most normal of units something fearsome and powerful. The combinations are many and varied and add a ton of replay value to the game. You can make invisible flying war galleons, nature druidic dwarfs, chaos fire loving elfs, flying halflings with adamantium stone slings, evil undead nomads, or even an entire army of purely summoned creatures.

MoM has hero units too, and this is another important way the game was changed from Civ. There are in total 35 heroes to choose from, who can either be hired or summoned by spell to fight for you. Each has special abilities that can help you in battle or at a more strategic level. Each hero can use equipment too that can either be found by raiding lairs or created by enchanting. Heroes are a key part of any army and can single handily turn the tide of war if used correctly.

aWrrVr4.jpg

Why can't anyone make a game today that is better than Master of Magic?

Master of Magic is twenty years old as of September 2014, it's last official patch was released in March of 1995, and yet to this day there has not been a game made that "dethrones" it as the King of fantasy 4X games. Many have taken inspiration from MoM. Both Age of Wonders and Heroes of Might and Magic owe much of their success to MoM, Fallen Enchantress from Stardock was going to be MoM2 until they failed to get the rights to the game from Atari. Yet neither game in any of their iterations is a complete step up from MoM.

The game's appeal is in it's immensely customizable gameplay. Each new game is a different adventure filled with surprises. Twenty years of tech improvements have dated the graphics quite a bit. The menus and UI are functional but clunky by today's standards. The AI is flawed and very susceptible to super strategies. It is an MS-DOS game so getting it to run properly on modern systems often requires DosBox. Yet despite these negatives the game is still held by many to be the epitome of fantasy 4X, and many new games today aspire to mimic or surpass MoM. Yet none have completely done so. Master of Magic has an essence to it that has just simply not been re-captured even twenty years later.

For myself personally, I still even today play the occasional game of Master of Magic. I own Age of Wonders Shadow Magic, I have a few Heroes of Might and Magic games, I've played a lot of Fallen Enchantress, I even bought Warlock Master of the Arcane in hopes of finally finding a worthy heir. I like all of these games, yet I still come back to Master of Magic inevitably. And every time I do I wonder why no modern game can capture the same spirit that MoM has, the same randomness and adventurous atmosphere? I would literally pay over $100 for a modernized version of MoM. Simply give it an HD remake that runs on a modern OS with a nicer UI and improve the AI some, and I'd plunk down $100 without hesitation.

One day a game will come along that will take the crown from MoM. A game that will surpass it in every way and undeniably allow thousands of fans to put away MoM for good. But it has not happened yet. Hopefully "soon", before I die from old age!

Happy 20th Birthday to the Master of Magic.

Mengy

Whatever happened to Microprose? *googles*

They went under, like so many other great developers. Microprose made some of my favorite games of all time:

Gunship
Gunship 2000
F19 Stealth Fighter
Airborne Ranger
Stunt Racer
Master of Magic
Falcon 4.0

And that's just off the top of my head. Of course many of those games are older than half of the members of NeoGAF but oh well....lol.

Along with Master of Orion 2, the world desperately needs a real update of MoM. Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic was the closest thing a while back.

Noaloha

Great game. Great OP. Happy birthday mom.

For what it's worth, Age Of Wonders 3 is so so so close to dethroning MoM as my favourite fantasy 4x. It's improving with every patch. I'm not yet sure I can commit to passing over the torch but.. I'm reeeal close.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
It's weird how MOM (and MOO2) have a certain type of design sensibility that just hasn't been duplicated properly. What's at the core of it? I'm not sure. The mechanics are flavourful, coherent and easy to understand, allow for lots of customization, and don't overload the player with excessive cognitive burden. Is that it?

I mean, on paper, something like Age of Wonders 3 should just completely trump MOM. But, aside from the obvious modernizations, it doesn't (at least not completely). In fact, the only game I can think of that really captures the particular type of Simtex magic is Twilight Imperium 3rd edition, a board game. What's the secret? Anyone have any theories?

Niahak

In a lot of ways, it's my favorite 4X. It combines so many bizarre sub-features:

1. Heroes with experience, items, and the abilities to cast their own spells
  2. Different races with their own bonuses and unique units
  3. Dark world vs. light world system
  4. Unique faction leaders with their own pseudo-personalities
  5. Leader creation system with tons of ways to play
My favorite play-style is to go Artificer with a heavy Nature bias, build a group of ultra-heroes with great gear and stomp the AI, but there are a ton of alternate paths that are also fun... and even using traits at all can prevent you from getting the most powerful spells, since focus is so important.

When I played Age of Wonders 1/2, I felt like they were an oversimplification of the systems. Fallen Enchantress (vanilla) didn't actually feel much like MoM, but I can't put my finger on specifically how. It did copy a lot of its mechanics, but I was still unhappy with it.

I need to play this again.

Artadius

This was my favorite game growing up. Right there with the original XCOM and Master of Orion.

With those three games, you were set.

Jakabok

I thought OP was referring to this £2.99 C64 masterpiece:-

masterofmagicgame.gif

Holy crap just checked this game is almost 30 years old!

Mengy

Along with Master of Orion 2, the world desperately needs a real update of MoM. Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic was the closest thing a while back.

Yeah, Age of Wonders came close with Shadow Magic but it never had the appeal for me like MoM does. And it's not just nostalgia, AoW just didn't have the replayability due to the vast combinations of possible game situations that you get with MoM. I haven't played the new AoW yet but I will buy it, probably early in the winter of this year. From all accounts it's a great game but still not as "good" as MoM. Technically it's much better, but from a gameplay standpoint it falls a bit short. I'll still buy it though, because I love the AoW games so I'll enjoy it.

When I played Age of Wonders 1/2, I felt like they were an oversimplification of the systems. Fallen Enchantress (vanilla) didn't actually feel much like MoM, but I can't put my finger on specifically how. It did copy a lot of its mechanics, but I was still unhappy with it.

Yep, the AoW games are missing the simple complexity of the possibilities that MoM has.

Fallen Enchantress, I have a mixed bag of feelings about it. I like the game but after a few hours of playing it I always get terribly bored. I can't even put my finger on why exactly, but it just feels lifeless to me compared to MoM. I love the look of the game though.

ExReey

Yes, MoM is still the uncrowned king of fantasy TBS games. So far, I think AoW3 is a very close second, but I miss the awesome magic system (with the books you choose during character creation).

I believe there is an unofficial sequel being kickstarted but I forgot the name.

doomtrader

Neo Member
Actually we are working on Master of Magic' spiritual successor.

Sorry for just jumping into the thread.
I'm not going to spam any links but whoever is curious, you can google for Worlds of Magic.
It's just Early Access, but we are really eager to shape it to a great game.

Masters of Magic
Masters of Orion 2
X-Com Terror from the Deep*

Those three games basically define my PC gaming for a long, LONG time.

* I actually played TftD before I played UFO Defense, so it's still my preferred version.

Edit:

My favorite play-style is to go Artificer with a heavy Nature bias, build a group of ultra-heroes with great gear and stomp the AI, but there are a ton of alternate paths that are also fun... and even using traits at all can prevent you from getting the most powerful spells, since focus is so important.

Myrran, Barbarians, as much Chaos magic as possible.

Berserkers could take on just about anything.

Probably one of my favourite games and one that is still easy to get sucked into after so many years. A real successor or even just an hd version (mobile) is the gaming newsI most look forward to, but Iam consistently let down. Fortunately, the game is still fully functional so no news just means I play the original.

Mengy

Myrran, Barbarians, as much Chaos magic as possible.

Berserkers could take on just about anything.

My favorite combo is halflings with full life magic and Torin the Chosen fully decked out leading an army of adamantium halfling slingers. I just love the sound the slings make, hah! Although Warrax is one of my favorite heroes in the game.

I'm not going to spam any links but whoever is curious, you can google for Worlds of Magic.

Oh, I heard about World of Magic a while ago. Are you one of the devs? Didn't you guys actually hire an artist from the Master of Magic too? Last time I heard anything about it the game was still too early to really tell anything...

Loved the game. I played it fairly recently and it still holds up, although a modernized version could be handy.

Did anyone else think that the music was ripped from the Dead Poets Society theme?

Nikodemos

Oh, I heard about World of Magic a while ago. Are you one of the devs? Didn't you guys actually hire an artist from the Master of Magic too? Last time I heard anything about it the game was still too early to really tell anything...
I made a thread about it last week, and, just like in the case of other threads started by me (especially on the subject of TBS games), nobody gave a shit.

Holy shit at that music in the trailer on steam....

Looked decent besides the bland battle board.

Age of Wonders 3 was decent, but it didn't have the addicting gameplay of MoM

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I really dig the artstyle, retro 2D PC classics can look so fucking good when they have the right art direction.

Nikodemos

* I actually played TftD before I played UFO Defense, so it's still my preferred version.
LOL, that's like saying you like the hangover better than the drinking before it.

Edit: Anyway, on-topic, Myrran, Warlord, Alchemist, Trolls. Ultra-elite War Trolls with inherent magical weapons pwn hard. And you don't have to worry about casualties. Oh, and Life Magic books for the chance of finding more of them in ruins/towers and lucking a Crusade find (those War Trolls turn from Ultra-Elite to Champion).

epmode

Master of Magic, Master of Orion 1 and XCOM are still my favorite strategy games ever. While some of the sequels and spiritual successors get close, nothing tops them.

God I love Microprose.

alstein

AOW3's new expansion hitting Thursday could really help bring it closer.

There's another Elemental game coming out in beta next month that has an interesting PvE premise. The game seems to be built around the FFH2 Doomsday counter.

As for MoM, I just don't think it aged well.

It's a good time for fantasy 4X, as I'm not even mentioning Endless Legend (it's not there yet) , Eador, Warlock 2 (those two never got there), probably more in the past year or so.

Mengy

Master of Magic, Master of Orion 1 and XCOM are still my favorite strategy games ever. While some of the sequels and spiritual successors get close, nothing tops them.

God I love Microprose.

I know it's not the popular opinion, but I honestly prefer Master of Orion 1 over the sequel MoO2. It had such a super simple yet effective interface and controls, and I loved how you didn't need to micromanage any of your planets, simply adjust the sliders from the empire screen and they would build whatever improvement you had unlocked. So many games today add complexity and think it's a good thing that adds to the gameplay, when all it really does is distract you from the gameplay you started playing for in the first place.

I think that's why MoM still works so well today and why so many would be successors fall short of the Magic: simplicity in game play mechanics, complexity in strategies to play.

epmode

Yeah, that's precisely why I prefer MoO1. I've played MoO2 a lot and I love it but it just isn't as... pure?

Planet micromanagement is the problem. Maybe it would have been better if they kept the planet management style but only allowed one habitable planet per system. Or maybe keeping multiple planets per system but reducing the management to MoO1-style sliders.

Durante

Great thread idea OP. I have the same feeling about MoM.

Age of Wonders is the series which has come closest to it for me, and in many individual aspects e.g. AoW3 clearly improves upon MoM, but as a whole it's still missing something. It's still a very enjoyable series mind you, just not enough to trump MoM.

Dominions series by Illwinter sorta replaced MoM for me, although I am fully aware that some of the core mechanics are different. Microprose da boss. XCOM, Orion, and this ... endless strategy goodness.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Fallen Enchantress, I have a mixed bag of feelings about it. I like the game but after a few hours of playing it I always get terribly bored. I can't even put my finger on why exactly, but it just feels lifeless to me compared to MoM. I love the look of the game though.
Stardock fumbled the ball in many ways on that one... not the least of which was forgetting to add a soul. Hell, even GalCiv 2 had a soul, if a muted one.

I am wondering how Endless Legend is turning out, but I'm too scared to look.

alstein

Stardock fumbled the ball in many ways on that one... not the least of which was forgetting to add a soul. Hell, even GalCiv 2 had a soul, if a muted one.

I am wondering how Endless Legend is turning out, but I'm too scared to look.

Game has some very good concepts, but won't be finished on launch. AI is a real issue.

As for the Elemental series lacking a soul, I think it's gained some soul over its timeframe. That said, Stardock was an overextended, undermanned mess during that timeframe, and it showed. They've righted the ship since then.

Tu101uk

God I love Microprose.
Add Colonization and Railroad Tycoon Deluxe to that list and you have the five DOS games that I loved playing the most during my teenage years with my trusty Pentium 60Hz computer.

At the time when I first played MoM, I had also been playing Colonization and Civilization so the empire-building aspects came naturally, all the while enjoying the RPG aspects of it. Such a great game, like MoO1 for me I feel nothing feels similar to it.

Lomax

MoM certainly was a classic, but it was buggy and broken in so many ways, and it just tried to do way too much. Part of the reason no one has just reskinned/modernized it is because it was just too insanely complex for its own good. The AI was awful and the learning curve was a vertical wall, even with the manual, and those basically don't exist any more. It captured a certain special something, but to say there's never been a better game overall in the genre even now is to ignore many advances and cling to nostalgia.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I know it's not the popular opinion, but I honestly prefer Master of Orion 1 over the sequel MoO2. It had such a super simple yet effective interface and controls, and I loved how you didn't need to micromanage any of your planets, simply adjust the sliders from the empire screen and they would build whatever improvement you had unlocked. So many games today add complexity and think it's a good thing that adds to the gameplay, when all it really does is distract you from the gameplay you started playing for in the first place.

I think that's why MoM still works so well today and why so many would be successors fall short of the Magic: simplicity in game play mechanics, complexity in strategies to play.

I vastly prefer MOO1 to 2.

MoM is of course the best 4x fantasy game. It's the sweet love child of D&D fantasy, early Civilization type games, and Master of Orion 1.

MoO/M were both king with my friends and I back in the day. I still think there is room for a good 4X strategy game on modern consoles and hope that one appears eventually.

Happy Birthday MoM. Moo1 is my favorite but I cannot deny your endless charms.

I agree

Omg your project looks amazing.
Will be investigating further when I get home.

MoM is one of my favorite computer games ever. I lived in more of a console games household with NES, Genesis, and SNES. When I moved as a kid in the mid 90s, I made some friends that were serious computer gamers. They had never really played console games, and I hadn't really experienced computer games. They introduced me to MoM, which was my favorite, Fantasy Empires, Star Control, and Cyber Empires.

I still had the box and the books for it until after college, I wonder if I packed them away somewhere... I got super excited when I saw it onsale on GOG (I think it was GOG), and bought it right away. I can still lose track of time playing that game, sooooo good.

I had seen some stuff on Worlds of Magic, but I had no idea it was out on early access, I might have to give it a try after payday...

Adamantium Death Trolls all the way!

I love this game so much... what I wouldn't give just to have the graphics updated. While my physical copy was long ago lost (and thus relegated to GoG edition), I still have my original strategy guide, 462 pages, one of the best guides I have ever bought.

inm8num2

Haven't been able to sink my teeth much into MoM, but from what I've played I've really enjoyed it.

This game has been as little as $1.49 or so on GOG in their major sales. That's a damn good deal.

MysticX

omg! that looks awesome, too bad I just got my 4th kid on the 14th so I cannot afford $40 atm :(

can you still "change" the terrain like in the old one?

wheren´t some of the better heroes only summonable in mom?

yikes, I haven´t been this excited for a game in a long time, when´s the final release due?

cacildo

AHAH! I forgot this game completely! Its BRILLIANT! Strange how i never had even a thought about it for the past, i dont know, 17 or 16 years

Maybe ill try to track it down. Is it abandonware now?

One of the key differences between Master of Magic and some of the later games like Age of Wonders 3 or Fallen Enchantress is how varied and powerful is the magic. MoM had hundreds of spells, and you could use them often to summon units, buff them, make combat magic, etc.
In other games they try to make it "balanced" and they end with some ridiculous shit where to summon a pair of mid-tier units you have to make great sacrifices or invest most of your mana in a few basic enchantments so you can't do anything else, or they limit you to cast only one spell per turn even if you have multiple mages or the really destructive and powerful spells are so hard to cast that they are worthless, when you are be able to cast them you really had won already the game conquering most of the world with your ground forces.

Between that, and the varied races and the way you could pick traits at start they gave you tools to have a great variety in the game in ways of playing and strategies while still being very accessible and not that complex.

While it's obviously different, harder and more complex, I recommend taking a look at Dominions 4 for people who wants a deep fantasy 4x game. And I played basically everything in the genre.

Mengy

I still had the box and the books for it until after college, I wonder if I packed them away somewhere... I got super excited when I saw it onsale on GOG (I think it was GOG), and bought it right away. I can still lose track of time playing that game, sooooo good.

I still have my box today even:

The game originally came on seven floppy disks. Today on my hard drive it occupies 24.5 MB of space. I have picture files that are larger than Master of Magic, LOL:

Top Bottom