• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty: "We are in a unique position to spend Sony out of business"

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
We (Microsoft) are in a very unique position to be able to go spend Sony out of business,” said Booty, referencing spending $2 billion or $3 billion in 2020 to avoid competitors getting ahead in content at a later date.
“It is practically impossible for anyone to start a new video streaming service at scale at this point,” said Booty, referencing competitors like Google, Amazon, and Sony. Booty described content as a moat and that only Sony could really compete with Game Pass:
In games, Google is 3 to 4 years away from being able to have a studio up and running. Amazon has shown no ability to execute on game content. Content is the one moat that we have, in terms of a catalog that runs on current devices and capability to create new. Sony is really the only other player who could compete with Game Pass and we have a 2 year and 10 million subs lead.

The dirty laundry is getting aired.

Interfectum

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Don’t send that shit in an email bro.

As a judge this would make me block the deal immediately.

But people will disagree with me.
I think that’s going to prove very damaging for Microsoft. He’s not wrong either.

Microsoft have the server infrastructure, the IP and the operating system things run on. They are pretty unassailable in that regard. It’s not a competitive situation. Giving them more IP would make it worse.

Matt Booty can’t even get his own studios right

Yeah, Microsoft is good at burning cash, that’s no guarantee you can put your competitors out of business

You have to actually earn it first. Booty is such a worthless contributor to the industry much like Phil Harrison. Incredible that he still has a job after so much failure

Last edited:

Nydius

And that, right there, is exactly why I’m against this merger and why everyone who can think critically should be as well.

Straight from the horse’s mouth: It’s never been about expanding gaming, it’s never been about better experiences for gamers, it’s ALWAYS been about Microsoft leveraging their vast finances to SHUT DOWN competitors.

Which is the absolute reason anti-trust laws exist.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Everyone knew that was the end game. If it was about content for gamepass or exclusives for their xbox owners, they wouldve bought a lot more of those cheaper studios like Crystal Dynamics, Respawn, Insomniac etc. $300 million max.

It was always about eliminating competition so they could have a monopoly.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
For the last 2/3 years, MS is making it hard to find the whole gaming industry interesting and fun. They are the toxic one and they should be eliminated out of the console business.

Imo, they should go, but the problem is...there won't be any 3rd competitor anytime soon we will be stuck with this dumbass toxic company.

graywolf323

I really hope the judge grants the injunction at this point, all the fluff pieces and PR about how Microsoft is just trying to buy ABK to ‘compete’ have proven to be completely false by their own internal communications

also proves that they were lying back before the Bethesda deal closed, I don’t believe at this point they ever had any intent of not taking games from PlayStation

Doncabesa

This is just the email that was talked about in the Gamer's Lawsuit. The Judge here, FTC, EU,CMA & everyone else have had this email for a while. This isn't new information for them, just the full information for the public.

Last edited:

Nydius

Even if this doesn’t impact the all-too-often bought-off FTC, the comments about cloud competitors (Amazon, Google) just decimated any chance they have at success against the CMA. This single email validated CMA’s entire position.

Great job, Mister Booty!

Last edited:

Eotheod

Outspend yet still get outsold. Doesn't that say more about the power of Sony, that despite Microsoft having more money they have the industry weight of being bigger in ratio to gain better deals? Maybe that's just my lens over it, but I don't see this being a net positive to Microsoft when we have clear evidence that outspending does nothing, it is the market ratio that matters most.

It's going to be incredibly hard for Microsoft to build back a collective majority of even significant enough portion of the market to actually swing devs to cheaper deals. Even money doesn't buy everything, because right now the majority are on PlayStation and with how expensive consoles are the chances of owning a second one are slim.
Even if this doesn’t impact the all-too-often bought-off FTC, the comments about cloud competition just decimated any chance they have at success against the CMA. This single email validated CMA’s entire position.

Great job, Mister Booty!
If you are talking about the Game Pass comment, that does nothing to validating cloud gaming. That was actually one of the problems I found personally with CMA, is that they extrapolated and assumed Gane Pass owners = cloud users despite that not being the case. Game Pass gains automatic access to cloud gaming, but that doesn't mean a Game Pass subscriber is a cloud user.

I've never touched cloud gaming because of my internet infrastructure, even with Starlink, would not suffice. Does that mean I'm a cloud user?

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Yeeuck. I would rather see Valve make some kind of console. They already have the huge library and proton.

Yeah. I would love to see Valve take an actual stab at it. Though their crushing position in PC gaming might be a little concerning. Honestly, I always felt like Amazon would be the one to step up. A shame they never bothered putting someone in charge who actually knew gaming. Just took people looking for internal promotions and threw them in there. Like, how the fuck does Bill, from accounting, suddenly qualify to run a series of game studios?

Sounds like they were considering going back on day and date releases.

I would not be at all surprised if those discussions are still happening. GamePass is noticeably harming sales overall, and the cost to maintain that strategy for your first party alone must be brutal with as many studios as they have now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom