• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty (Xbox): No next gen exclusives for the next two years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsed

PS5 cross-generational play will ensure PS4 players won't get left behind, Sony confirms

Bro if you are going to go out of your way to post an article to prove any point the least you can do is actually read the article. This is saying nothing about exclusives. This is about multiplayer cross play.

stitch1

Maybe with Microsoft it happens every generation. Sony didn't release Knack or Killzone Shadow Fall on PS3, they didn't release Resistance: Fall of Man, Genji: Days of the Blade or Untold Legends Dark Kingdom on PS2, etc., etc. By the way I love how you mentioned all third party games saying "this happens every generation" lol.

I used those examples because they are some of the best looking and selling games that helped sell consoles. I didn't hear of too many people lining up to get the a PS4 for Knack or Killzone. However, there were tons of people waiting to play COD Ghost that wasn't exclusive to the new hardware. But if you think Resistance helped Sony sell systems at launch of the PS3.... Then you are rewriting history. PS3 sells didn't really pick up until they started dropping the price and switching to the slim version. But yeah, those exclusive games really sold hardware... Get out of there.

ethomaz

Banned
I used those examples because they are some of the best looking and selling games that helped sell consoles. I didn't hear of too many people lining up to get the a PS4 for Knack or Killzone. However, there were tons of people waiting to play COD Ghost that wasn't exclusive to the new hardware. But if you think Resistance helped Sony sell systems at launch of the PS3.... Then you are rewriting history. PS3 sells didn't really pick up until they started dropping the price and switching to the slim version. But yeah, those exclusive games really sold hardware... Get out of there.
Well while PS3 didn’t put the world on fire it sold more than 360 before the Slim come out... it sold more than 360 even at $600.

If I’m not wrong the only year 360 sold more was the Kinect year... it was when 360 had it peak year.

Last edited:

LokusAbriss

I can see PS5 launching with Gran Turismo 7 with massively increased trackside detail and scenery.

It's time for GT to retake the crown of being the industries' premier racing title.

Every gen of PS has had two numbered GT releases except PS4, which only has GT Sport.

Yamauchi-san has stated that the assets Polyphony created for GTS are good for up to 8K resolutions.
source

The start of next gen is the ideal to time for Sony to launch the next proper GT. If they don't, it would simply feel incompetent as far as I'm concerned.

GT7 on PS5: "The only true next-generation driving simulator"
Funny how people hammer down on MS and forget how Sony released GT6 on PS3 just before the release of the PS4. They left GT fans with nothing on the PS 4 for a long time. Yeah, for the players...

stitch1

However, I will counter that The Last of US at the end of PS3 and God of War 2 at the end of PS2's were big sellers for their systems even after the PS4 and PS3 game out. Lots of people wondered why Sony would do that back then. If they were to do that today they would be doing what M$ is and selling it to both generations. Like they are for Halo Infinite.

Wait, so are they saying that no games that are exclusive to the series x, or exclusive in general? Will someone be able to play hellblade 2 on xb1x? Having a hard time undertanding

ethomaz

Banned
However, I will counter that The Last of US at the end of PS3 and God of War 2 at the end of PS2's were big sellers for their systems even after the PS4 and PS3 game out. Lots of people wondered why Sony would do that back then. If they were to do that today they would be doing what M$ is and selling it to both generations. Like they are for Halo Infinite.
They will do that today again.
TLOU2 come in the middle of year.
Ghost of Tsushima come at end of the year basically same period of PS5.

So PS4 will have it last batch of exclusive (that can be played on PS5 via BC) while PS5 receives it first batch of exclusives (that can’t be played anywhere else).

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
It's possible that they mean Xbox One X and not classic XO. It's should be powerful enough to handle next gen games at lower settings.

bellome

So basically we should buy MS new box to keep playing current gen games with better resolution and framerates.

Until they give us proper next Gen games.

-_-

stitch1

Well while PS3 didn’t put the world on fire it sold more than 360 before the Slim come out... it sold more than 360 even at $600.

If I’m not wrong the only year 360 sold more was the Kinect year... it was when 360 had it peak year.
I'm pretty sure you are wrong on both accounts. 360 had a year long head start and didn't really lose momentum until WAY later in the generation life cycle. But believe what you want to.

Wait, so are they saying that no games that are exclusive to the series x, or exclusive in general? Will someone be able to play hellblade 2 on xb1x? Having a hard time undertanding
1st party Xbox games, in the first year after Scarlet launch, would all be cross gen. Third party is free to do whatever they want, but Microsoft is saying their 1st gen Scarlet games are still cooking and needed more time.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Bro if you are going to go out of your way to post an article to prove any point the least you can do is actually read the article. This is saying nothing about exclusives. This is about multiplayer cross play.

these days no one is reading just copy and paste

vpance

They are literally doing it again with Ghosts and TLoU2.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm pretty sure you are wrong on both accounts. 360 had a year long head start and didn't really lose momentum until WAY later in the generation life cycle. But believe what you want to.
PS3 sold more than 360 at launch and the years following.
So I’m not wrong on that.

Only the Kinect years was bigger than PS3 year.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned

You're completely wrong. It only "outsold" 360 sometimes after next gen consoles arrived. It's possible it didn't even do that because those statistics are pretty shady.

ethomaz

Banned
You're completely wrong. It only "outsold" 360 sometimes after next gen consoles arrived. It's possible it didn't even do that because those statistics are pretty shady.
It sold more at launch and following years.
We don’t need statistics we have shipment data for both until 2011 (7th 360 year / 6th PS3 year).

Last edited:

Elios83

But how do you explain games like RDR2 on PC looking better than anything on consoles? Because Rockstar still had to cater to the lowest and weakest PC's out there. They also couldn't "escape minimum requirements"

Your logic makes no sense.

On the contrary it's your example that doesn't make sense because it's out of context with what I said.
RDR2 is a console game designed to run on old consoles like Xbox One S.
The fact that on PC taking advantage of new GPUs 5x more powerful than what's inside consoles it looks better that other console games limited by the same old console specs for which RDR2 was conceived is obvious (better than anything on consoles is absolutely arguable though).
I said a totally different thing though.
What's going to happen when you make a game that has to be designed to run on a console like Xbox One S versus a game that assumes that PS5 specs are the baseline?
That's a totally huge difference not only at the simple graphical level but also and most importantly at the design level. You can assume that you have much more RAM for much bigger environments, you can design your game thinking that you're going to have advanced AI and phisics thanks to CPUs that are in an other league, you can design your game totally masking loadings instead or having short loading screens, you can choose the artstyle to better showcase certain graphical featueres like ray tracing . It's a different world altogether that has nothing to do with the "old gen conceived game pushed at max settings" concept.
And I guess that people will find out soon ;)

Wow... So first, the narrative was that Lockhart wouldn't hold anything back because it's easy to scale resolution to gpu and now the fanboys are trying to shift the goalposts and say anything is scalable to any hardware because PC exists or something?

It doesn't even make sense. By this logic we could scale every game down to the SNES.

Do the fanboys actually think it works like that or they are just far up the asses of these companies that all logic and sense is left behind the threshold of Phil Spencer's sphincter?

Dory16

Banned
Nothing new? Sony does not operate like this. They didn't release Knack or Killzone Shadow Fall on PS3, they didn't release Resistance: Fall of Man, Genji: Days of the Blade or Untold Legends Dark Kingdom on PS2, etc. And those are just the launch titles.

LittleBigPlanet 3 was cross gen. and a whole bunch of third party titles. I don't see why it's a big deal to have more first party cross gen at launch. why reduce Hal Infinite to just the 3 million people who will buy a Series X this year when the X can get a perfectly decent version (dunno about the S). On next gen all games will be held to the 4k/60 fps standard and bashed if they don't meet it. that's all what counts

mejin

PS5 cross-generational play will ensure PS4 players won't get left behind, Sony confirms

AnnualElderlyCutworm-size_restricted.gif

ethomaz

Banned
If that was true PS3 would have sold twice as much consoles. But they're both have official figures at around 85 million.
C'mon.
You guys really wants to twist history.

Launch year: 1.7m PS3 // 1.5m 360
2nd year: 8.7m PS3 // 8.9m 360 * I made a mistake here... 360 sold 200k more
3rd year: 10.7m // 7.3m 360

These are the years before PS4 Slim... I made a mistake in the 2nd year 360 sold 200k more unit but cumulative it was tied due the first year.
After that PS3 already pull considerable margin over 360.

4th year: 12.2m PS3 // 10.8m 360 * PS3 Slim launch
5th year: 14.4m PS3 // 10.2m 360
6th year: >7.6m PS3 // 12.1m 360 * PS3 lacks Q4
7th year: ?.?m PS3 // 14.9m 360 * Kinect effect peak 360 year that I said it sold more
8th year: >3.3m PS3 // 10.1m 360 * Only Q4 is counted to PS3
9th year: 3.4m PS3 // ?.?m 360

Just because 360 cumulative sales were bigger (due the year head start) doesn't mean it was selling more if not PS3 should never catch it lol
Maybe you just remember NPD news and US sales that indeed always showed 360 selling more than PS3.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Makes sense to me. Just tweak the settings for whichever console they're running on. This is all work they do anyhow to support the PC versions of their titles.

It isn't like there are incredible new types of gameplay that can only be done on new hardware. It's just more eye candy most of the time.

People complaining that it won't sell as many new consoles aren't comparing the margins on the new units vs. the units that have been in production for years.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Not surprising. If anything, this was expected.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
From MCVUK:

Are you worried about this strategy? Or is Xbox making a smart move?
this makes me feel like XSX might be more than 500 bucks honestly. It feels like a PC move. Like Nvidia will drop a 2080ti, charge 1400 for it...and let that simmer while release 4739473298743982749832 other GPUs unpredictable increments.

I think this is a terrible move. There needs to be a cutoff. At some point Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7...there's gotta be a point where Xbox One will no longer be supported as well. Just him saying this is a bad move because honestly...it's probably not gonna turn out this way.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Funny how people
Some, I counted about 7 of them over the past few months since I started using GAF again.
Always in threads they have no interests in but trying to push an agenda of how bad it sucks, trying to sell you on a Intel CPU or nVidia card or tell you how great PlayStation is, liking each other's posts in all it's stupidity.
And the list goes on, one of them even copied what I made out of a post yesterday which he has no clue of, edited his post 1 minute after I made mine and ran with it, hell he's even in here trying to "correct" me as we speak :p
Ignore their asses you'll kill less brain cells and save precious time by not bothering with the garbage.

onQ123

Why would they go all in making a game that can only run on Xbox Scarlett when their goal is to have a larger install base?

Most games will be playable on PC which would mean that they are anchored by specs just as low as Xbox One so why not make games that can still run on Xbox One?

ZywyPL

Banned
Cross-gen titles were a given, MS has been very vocal about their upcoming strategy for like a year now, while Sony is also very straight forward about abandoning PS4 and focusing fully on the PS5 instead. The question is how much can the really scale down for the base XB1? The 1X may have the same Jaguar CPU, but it is OC'ed quite a bit, has some build-in DX12 instructions, and doesn't rely on the problematic ESRAM.

thelastword

Banned
Imo it's a lack of confidence that XSX will have a far better start than Xbox One, given the size of their current installbase.

It also makes sense, because their newly acquired studios most likely can't deliver high quality titles before that time.
I have very little faith in these studios to produce hardware moving pieces of software even after year 3 of XBOX Series X...…..High Quality as in 90% plus rated games? It's not happening......Games that move millions of units at retail and e-tail, very much doubt it......

The goal of Pro is to play all PS4 games with better "effects" and "performance" (something it didn't archived).
🤔:messenger_grinning_smiling:
Gave PlayStation the crown before released well done
Well, uhmmm, you can't give what you never had...….

Grinchy

Banned
If the New Xbox is really going to be significantly stronger than the PS5 (and we don't know that), I was really hoping to see what that actually looks like.

Instead, it will be like the way a beastly PC currently plays console ports at higher settings. That is not a horrible thing, but it's not what anyone expects when buying a next-gen console. I guess it's at least only for a year.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I can’t see to Sony releasing for example a AAA game such as Horizon 2 on 2020 or early 2021 exclusive to PS5, only I see if they don’t mind about economical loses on that game.
The games that show off the new hardware is what gets the boxes in homes. Horizon 2 won't be on PS4

ethomaz

Banned
Is there a thread for this? If not, then there should be,
Yes there is... it is old and if you read you will realize Sony plans to allow PS4 games running on PS5 (BC) to share the same pool in in online multiplayer games.
It is restrict to playing the same game on PS4 and PS5.
PS5 exclusive doesn't need to share pool with anything else lol

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Imo it's a lack of confidence that XSX will have a far better start than Xbox One, given the size of their current installbase.

It also makes sense, because their newly acquired studios most likely can't deliver high quality titles before that time.

😂

Or the PC like hardware on both means it's far easier to go cross gen and dropping xbox one X 3 years after launch might go down about as well as a hog roast at a vegan convention.

Aion002

Funny how people hammer down on MS and forget how Sony released GT6 on PS3 just before the release of the PS4. They left GT fans with nothing on the PS 4 for a long time. Yeah, for the players...
That's the wrong interpretation.

GT6, TLu and Puppeter were the swan song of the Ps3.

It was Sony closing the PS3 with an golden key.

The Ps4 started a new cycle with new exclusive games... All Ps3 owners had something to play on his final year. So yeah for the player's. :messenger_winking:

Now about MS.... Well that's a bold move... Let's see if it will work out.

Banned
I see absolutely zero issue with this.

It's great for customers, it is great for the games themselves as they reach a bigger audience and for the people saying the games will be held back by the Xbox One... uhm no they won't, you forget that Microsoft also releases everything on PC... how well do you think a game would sell on PC if it had the minimal requirements of an RTX2080 and a Ryzen 3600? modern PC games still run on stuff like a GTX760...
so these games would be the same whether they support the Xbox One or not, simply because these games have to sell and run on mid- to low-end PCs aswell.

Last edited:

demigod

What's more fail is actually liking the post thinking it's the same as this thread :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Otterz4Life

This is one of the many reasons I give MS my money over PlayStation.
They keep supporting their legacy products after the new one launches, unlike their competitors. They prioritize backward compatibility and don’t force people to buy their new stuff. I can play BLOPS 2 online with my Xbox One, or play Forza Horizon 2 online while you wont even be able to play Driveclub online anymore after March. Pretty stark contrast. They care about their customers more than Sony or Nintendo do, and decisions like this are proof of that. Even Nintendo released BotW on the Wii U, because they knew it’d be a bloodbath if they cancelled it and moved it to the Switch. You can’t screw over your most loyal fans.

We all know Xbox has had some issues this gen. We also know that they’ve done everything they could in the past couple years to build up some good will with their fans and owners of the Xbox One. They can’t just leave Xbox One customers in the cold when the games do finally start coming. That would undermine everything they’ve tried to do the past couple years.

Xbox keeps making the right moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom