• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty (Xbox): No next gen exclusives for the next two years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barakov

It's a interesting strat from MS with the worst messaging I've ever seen. I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out. Sony has a definite advantage as far as exclusives go so I'm hoping all those studios MS bought bear fruit.

CyberPanda

Banned
That's not their stance from the last month or two, that's been their stance for the last going on 4 years. All of this was divulged from the second Project Scorpio was announced, anyone acting shocked or surprised about this is concern trolling flat out.
Are your surprised though at the concern trolling? I’m not.

People shouldn't worry, they will present their vision at E3, and if there's backlash they will adapt much quicker than they did with the Xbox one.

People shouldn't worry, they will present their vision at E3, and if there's backlash they will adapt much quicker than they did with the Xbox one.
You can't "adapt" away from not having Scarlet exclusives for a year after launch. Making games take several years, Ms isn't going to be able to pump out Scarlet exclusives retroactively. If they don't have any, they can't get any, any sooner.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Correct me if im wrong but isnt that halo infonite is coming to x one?

Thats the word im hearing from news around here

edit : im getting it wrong

Of course what a mean is a full series x exclusive...

like..a real nextgen game that is not hampered by older hardware...

I assume you understood the message....

But there’s not what will happen. Games will be made for the SX, the ported down. This isn’t a case of making a game for the 1X and then just upping the res. Sure, there will be things that won’t show, for example if you use and rely on an SSD, or enhanced cpu instruction performance. But those things require special thinking to turn down and disable. A lot of people here will tell you “you can’t do THING on old hardware!” And the the truth is... you can. It may not be pretty, and you may need to go about it a different way, but you can.

The only real game changer now is that with such a fast SSD, especially if the PS5 one is true, some things will be totally different and possible that weren’t before. Cpu stuff can be turned down or off but if for example you rely on streaming of assets on a stupidly quick SSD During gameplay, you can’t really do that on the older hardware. And that’s where the concern comes from.

BUT.

That sort of thing isn’t something that every game/engine will take advantage of. For example, games like COD and Halo don’t load assets in that way. Stick an SSD in a Computer and you won’t be loading much faster. Faster, sure, but not split second speeds. Those type of games use a different form of loading asset data. So in effect, Halo Infinite will work fine on older hardware. You most certainly would be at some stupid ass resolution, with most effects disabled and turned off, and mega low res assets, mind you.

In fact, the difference will be that big, once you see the SX version you won’t want to play on the old console. This happens every generation. Game X is made, and then game X is also made for the old hardware. It looks like shit, runs like shit. But hey, we need to support our Y million potential customers that already have a console.

So while Halo isn’t an “exclusive” in the sense it’s only on SX, it certainly
Will be taking advantage of next gen features. MS have gone about all this a really bad way, And I can’t say I agree at all with, well, most of it... but they aren’t that stupid to make their flagship title on a brand new console look and play like an Xbox one game. Even the brief tech video already looked totally light years ahead of anything this gen could do, and if you (not you, but people) looked with a technical eye and not a console war eye, you would see why that is.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
To me, it is becoming increasingly obvious that Microsoft and Sony are runningv2 different business models.

Sony is focused on selling consoles and games. Microsoft is looking at XBox as a platform for services. Their games and service are available in console, PC, Steam, etc. The more these generations go, the further apart their head to head becomes.

On a more direct note to the post. Microsoft just cant win with some people. If the cut a line at the gen, then they'd be accused of leaving people behind after the X launch. If I'm investing in a game like Halo Infinite, I want a ton of peeps playing. Not just current gen.

Not true. Sony just hasn't told you any of their plans yet.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
You can't "adapt" away from not having Scarlet exclusives for a year after launch. Making games take several years, Ms isn't going to be able to pump out Scarlet exclusives retroactively. If they don't have any, they can't get any, any sooner.

Truth is, you have no clue what they have. They could have 20 exclusive titles and 40 third party 100% SX exclusives paid for. They could also have fuck all, and delay even the ones we know about. The same can be said for Sony. Until we know for sure, nobody knows anything. So saying stuff like it’s fact doesn’t really help either side.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The hell do you think that means? That means no exclusive if its cross-gen.

Exclusive to me has always been exclusive to a console or set. Is Zelda BOTW not exclusive rob your eyes then? It’s a Nintendo exclusive, you will never play it on a PlayStation.

demigod

Exclusive to me has always been exclusive to a console or set. Is Zelda BOTW not exclusive rob your eyes then? It’s a Nintendo exclusive, you will never play it on a PlayStation.

That’s not what this thread is about but go ahead and move the goalposts. There will be a time when MS completely drop support for xbox one.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Correct.

We know that Sony signed a streaming deal with Microsoft, but havent heard much else about it.

My comment is based off the last 5-7 years of this console generation.

If you look hard enough, you can see what they will be telling you in the future. Look at the recently announced 3rd party exclusives - is the PS4/5 the only platform available to play them?

WorldHero

I mean I think anyone with common sense would expect this.

Only worry I have is how much will they differentiate Halo Infinity on Series X from the XBox One X? If it's just ray tracing then I don't see many upgrading. If it's more than that, I can still imagine people saying the Xbox One X was gimped for the Series X version.

MS is in a tough position either way. Interested to see how it pans out.

MHubert

They have made next gen games for SX. They just happen to work on older hardware as well. But they won’t look anything like they should on older hardware and will likely be missing features and parts completely. This is the exact same thing everybody does at launch.

They want people to play on Xbox. They don’t care where. But they give you ample chances to do it at different price points, including windows.

If you’re still thinking in terms of box A vs box B then you’re thinking a little bit too playground. Microsoft don’t give a single shiny shit where you play, as long as it’s an Xbox. And that makes them money. Only four year olds put two items in a box and ask them to fight.
Or in this case, businessmen competing in a multi-billion dollar market. Sony and MS fight over the same customers, so it definitely makes sense to compare their respective strategies.

Did I? Cross gen maybe is what I meant at least.

Halo infinite is a launch title and is next gen. Unless you’re one of those weird people who thinks because it who’ll work on older hardware it couldn’t possibly be next gen 🤣
If it works on older hardware its cross-gen, not next-gen.

All they would literally have to do is not release an Xbox One version.

That's it.
That is not how you define next-gen software. This idea about game software generations being permitted to how you adjust a slider, related to specifications, is wrong.

Last edited:

Shmunter

When you look at PS3/360 to PS4/xbone cpu wise it’s almost a wash after the jaguars feed the geometry to the gpu. . Games in the current gen did not evolve and are essentially just a prettier veneer over the last gen. This time the ceiling is finally raised, and significantly so.

Devs that take advantage will profit, and gamers will be delighted. MS is failing before even starting with their mission.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
If you look hard enough, you can see what they will be telling you in the future. Look at the recently announced 3rd party exclusives - is the PS4/5 the only platform available to play them?
I see what you're implying but Sony has already said that they will put their multiplayer games on PC.

I will still play on consoles, but they have to know that if they put their single player games on PC too, that will dilute their consoles

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom