• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Damon, Russell Crowe Allegedly Helped Prove Gaffers Only Read Thread Titles

gogosox82

This article is poorly written. She insinuates that this Lombardo guy helped cover up sexual abuse allegations by a woman in London and that Damon and Crowne covered for Lombardo. She is essentially accusing Damon and Crowe of helping covering up sexual abuse with the way the story is written. I have no idea how anyone could believe this piece by just reading it.

mcrommert

Banned
ymSRvHv.png

Savage

andthebeatgoeson

Come on dude.

Criticising Obama for being too center, not left enough, and for being ineffective for the first term, how is that remotely the same to being a proxy Trump fan through the Patriots?

Damon is a pretty hardcore lefty.

Apparently a lot of people knew Harvey Weinstein raped Rose McGowan. He also settled a ton of lawsuits. Apparently quite a lot of people knew. Doesn't mean Damon did. It's pretty easy to see how that sort of information wouldn't make it to Damon.

But enough people knew thats for sure. No one said anything except for a few journalists who were perhaps given the story by his brother Bob Weinstein.

It's a joke. Just like the post i was responding to.

Budi

Bourdain should also read the OP.
I wonder if this is a case where innocent people are dragged through the mud because of bad reporting and hasty reactions. And if this stigma will ever leave them. Will people pop into every Crowe and Damon movie threads shouting that they are "rape apologists" and human trash. Time will tell I guess.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I wonder if this is a case where innocent people are dragged through the mud because of bad reporting and hasty reactions. And if this stigma will ever leave them. Will people pop into every Crowe and Damon movie threads shouting that they are "rape apologists" and human trash.

I just find it so weird people are convinced they're these great guys and couldn't possibly do anything wrong because they were in a film you liked and they support a charity. People are more complex than base assumptions on either side.

KHarvey16

I wonder if this is a case where innocent people are dragged through the mud because of bad reporting and hasty reactions. And if this stigma will ever leave them. Will people pop into every Crowe and Damon movie threads shouting that they are "rape apologists" and human trash. Time will tell I guess.

It usually does happen that way.

I just find it so weird people are convinced they're these great guys and couldn't possibly do anything wrong because they were in a film you liked and they support a charity. People are more complex than base assumptions on either side.

“They’re probably guilty of something so who cares if they’re not guilty of this?”

Budi

What do you think? Maybe, maybe not, can't say? Or they did cover up the heinous acts of Weinstein? I really don't think that charity work has anything to do with it.

Edit: I mean personally. Someone doing charity can still be a dick or worse like often happens. Like with Weinstein. Someone can do a lot of work for animals in example, but then treat different races of people worse than these animals they love. Crowe and Damon could have been covering for Weinstein in many instances (like many ofcourse have), but this article doesn't really show that in any way. Anyone can be a terrible person, take a look at Mother Teresa. Who would have thought? She's a literal saint afterall.

mcrommert

Banned
Its also telling that neither of them have said anything personally or through pr since the weinstein stuff has come to light.

Zaphrynn

This I think is a fair point. I mean, the internet has pretty well known that Weinstein is a creep for a while. So, it's pretty shady that Hollywood people looked the other way for a power player who could make pet-project indie movies happen. Weinstein was great at getting award noms, and people very likely looked the other way, or didn't ask questions they didn't want to know the answers to.

And I think in some regard anyone who associated with him has some stink on them as a result of that. Same thing with the Roman Polanski thing and the supposed sexual assault of child actors being fairly typical. Hollywood has lots of noise around lots of people, and it's a huge issue.

But in this case, the writer is being intentionally misleading to try and get clicks because there is a far cry from Damon and Crowe pressuring the NYT into killing a legit beat on uncovering Weinstein as the monster he was.. and then giving some on the record quotes disproving a story premise of the head of Miramax Italy.

I think she probably *wants* to think she was going to win a pulitzer 13 years ago and the hollywood system ran over her with a truck and quashed her investigation. But, given the piece she wrote today it seems like she just found smoke with no evidence and was likely no further than internet sleuths who read rumors about him and Blake Lively from a decade ago.

Yeah, basically how I feel. Hollywood and fashion are full of rotten, exploitative people. Especially if you're A-list, you will never convince me you have no idea about shady shit that goes on.

But it doesn't sound like these phone calls were an attempt to kill a story. A continuation of Hollywood protecting it's own? Yeah, I believe that, but not what the author is actually proposing with article.

Ducarmel

Its also telling that neither of them have said anything personally or through pr since the weinstein stuff has come to light.

Its also telling that the reporter is not posting her proof of Lombardo being a pimp, Lombardo's connection to Weinsteins sexual assaults and pay offs, nor what exactly Damon and Crowe actually do to "bury" her article.

Damon's response,

http://deadline.com/2017/10/matt-da...we-sexual-abuse-scandal-interview-1202185574/

DAMON: My recollection was that it was about a one minute phone call. Harvey had called me and said, they're writing a story about Fabrizio, who I knew from The Talented Mr. Ripley. He has organized our premiere in Italy and so I knew him in a professional capacity and I'd had dinner at his house. Harvey said, Sharon Waxman is writing a story about Fabrizio and it's really negative. Can you just call and tell her what your experience with Fabrizio was. So I did, and that's what I said to her. It didn't even make the piece that she wrote. As I recall, her piece just said that Russell and I had called and relayed our experience with Fabrizio. That was the extent of it and so I was very surprised to see it come back. I was never conscripted to do anything. We vouch for each other, all the time, and it didn't even make her article. Whether it didn't jibe with her storyline...it was an incomplete rendering of someone that I was giving but I had perfectly professional experiences with Fabrizio and I didn't mind telling her that.

I'm sure I mentioned to her that I didn't know anything about the rest of her piece, because I didn't. And I still don't know anything about that and Fabrizio. My experience with him was all above board and that's what I told her.

DAMON: We know this stuff goes on in the world. I did five or six movies with Harvey. I never saw this. I think a lot of actors have come out and said, everybody's saying we all knew. That's not true. This type of predation happens behind closed doors, and out of public view. If there was ever an event that I was at and Harvey was doing this kind of thing and I didn't see it, then I am so deeply sorry, because I would have stopped it. And I will peel my eyes back now, father than I ever have, to look for this type of behavior. Because we know that it happens. I feel horrible for these women and it's wonderful they have this incredible courage and are standing up now.

We can all feel this change that's happening, which is necessary and overdue. Men are a huge part of that change, and we have to be vigilant and we have to help protect and call this stuff out because we have our sisters and our daughters and our mothers. This kind of stuff can't happen. This morning, I just feel absolutely sick to my stomach.

DEADLINE: Just to reiterate, Waxman didn't tell you the point of her story?

DAMON: She didn't. She called us to apologize about this thing coming out, and she claimed she was in her car with her kids when I talked to her. It was a 30 second conversation.

For the record, I would never, ever, ever try to kill a story like that. I just wouldn't do that. It's not something I would do, for anybody.

and writer of article thread is based on responding to Damon's response,

UmiAnWH.jpg

She got her hits for her website by lying. Now openly admits she was dishonest. Yet the media wonders why people don't trust them...

FAKE NEWS.

But seriously though, FUCK The Wrap for not editing the article and stating this was sensationalised. They're no better than FOX NEWS when they pull this fiasco.

SeanC

Disappointed in Waxman on this, the entire article was just a venting blog entry and her wording of a lot of elements really screwed the whole thing up.

I don't know her incredibly well, I've dealt with her in the past in regards to pieces she's written or her inquiring about interviewing clients, but I kind of have to think twice now when dealing with her. I understand the frustration on her behalf, but her editorial was ill-advised and should have had others look over before posting.

The Wrap has turned to tabloid rags at this point. It wanted to creep in on Deadline's space, moreso after Nikki Finke departed, but I think things just got worse. There's no oversight on online journalism I feel.

Wow at Waxman's tweet. Insane.

I'm sure he won't, but I wonder if Damon could sue.

Would be a bad look and his reputation wasn't really damaged much in this case. The story didn't get enough time or traction

God damn are some people way too reactionary though lol. This has happened like multiple times around here at this point

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Wow at Waxman's tweet. Insane.

I'm sure he won't, but I wonder if Damon could sue.

Doubtful, as "After intense pressure from Weinstein, which included having Matt Damon and Russell Crowe call me directly to vouch for Lombardo" appears to be true, even if the whole truth shows that Damon didn't really do anything sinister.

First she quotes Damon in a way that paints him as guilty and then just swiftly takes it back out of nowhere? Damon clearly threatened Waxman to make that tweet. Read between the lines people, this is Hollywood.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The article was written in such a way that immediately set some redflags off, especially from a seasoned journalist. It hardly took any time for me to find the articles that actually shed light into Damon and Crowe's little involvement.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I like Bourdain's shows, but he's also the type of person that would read a title and run with it.

It's even more shameful when you see the comments under his tweet.

https://twitter.com/Bourdain/status/917739178011561985
Jessica Chastain had jumped on The Wrap's article yesterday, too, or more accurately Vulture's own regurgitation of it focusing on Damon and Crowe's so-called killing of the story.

There is no doubt about there being a lot to say about men in Hollywood not stepping up, but people need to remind themselves to critically read and think before spreading stories.

Budi

Jessica Chastain had jumped on The Wrap's article yesterday, too, or more accurately Vulture's own regurgitation of it focusing on Damon and Crowe's so-called killing of the story.

There is no doubt about there being a lot to say about men in Hollywood not stepping up, but people need to remind themselves to critically read and think before spreading stories.
Well, in her defense. She is someone who is very passionate and active (she doesn't only speak) about making things better for women in the entertainment industry and otherwise. So I'm not surprised that she was vocal about that too. But yes I also agree with what you are saying.

Kelly Carmichael former production exec of Weinstein company and Miramax is the president of production and development at Jessica Chastain's all-female Freckle Films company.

Kin5290

I hope people on the first couple pages come back to read this.

Vile journalism calling out Damon and Crowe.
Hell, I doubt that any of the many people who gleefully raged at the image of Angelina Jolie dangling money before a poor Cambodian kid's nose before snatching it away cared much when additional context revealed that it was a bog standard audition.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Well, in her defense. She is someone who is very passionate and active (she doesn't only speak) about making things better for women in the entertainment industry and otherwise. So I'm not surprised that she was vocal about that too. But yes I also agree with what you are saying.

Kelly Carmichael former production exec of Weinstein company and Miramax is the president of production and development at Jessica Chastain's all-female Freckle Films company.
Oh, I know, she's crazy active about this kind of stuff, and that's great. But we all need to be careful about the ease in which misleading information can be spread. It can only taint the perceived validity of accurate reporting. The last couple years should have made that clear.

I like Bourdain's shows, but he's also the type of person that would read a title and run with it.

It's even more shameful when you see the comments under his tweet.

https://twitter.com/Bourdain/status/917739178011561985

Bourdain definitely does not have evidence on his side and may well be showing his ass here, but one note of caution for me is the fact that he is currently dating Asia Argento, one of Weinstein's victims, and may know more than he's said. Shit is moving fast.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The thread title change is unbelievably awesome.

I'd replace "allegedly" with something definitive given the extent to which people were replying with kneejerk responses, but it's otherwise A+.

Top Bottom